Cherry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: hrking on 10-02-2008

Ratings: 245 | Reviews: 81

750ml bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled on 10/22/10

It's pours a cloudy rosy pink with a fluffy white head that dies down into a layer of bubbles. No lacing.

Oh god the aroma! Every one in the room said it, a unmistakable aroma. It's a hair salon in a bottle. You know that chemical smell that they use for perming. Whatever that's called it comes through very heavily and so off putting I can barely get past it. Behind that some cinnamon spice comes through. No fruit aroma to be found.

The taste thankfully loses that hair salon chemicaliness. I still am not getting a ton of fruit, just a faint cherry syrup sweetness. The biggest unexpected character is that cinnamon spice. It reminds me exactly of like a gingerbread cookie or Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. The acidity is on par with other Upland lambics, sharp finish.

Mouthfeel is light and medium carbonation. Not as prickly and acidic as the Blackberry version I just had.

This is one of the poorer versions of Upland lambics. The aroma is really off and the cherry is almost nonexistent and huge cinnamon phenolics.

EDIT: Had a second bottle of this during DLD 2011 and it was very similar. The aroma was just as bad...people kept saying burnt hair...my original assessment of perm chemicals is very similar. This is just not a good beer, and having two similar bottles takes out the chance of a bad 1st bottle.

2.02/5  rDev -48.7%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 10/22/10 bottled date. Thanks to Kyle for picking this up for me!

(A)- Gusher! A super cloudy pink to red blush color that produced some white froth. Alot of chunks made their way into my glass; not sediment, actual chunks that looked like cherry skins or something. Talk about unfiltered!

(S)- Ripe cherry pits and pie crust. Mildly tart and lactic with lots of dry oak.

(T)- Cherry pits and damp wood/oak. Some acidic funk, but otherwise straightforward.

(M)- Very thin and mellow with a kind of muted fruit/lambic feel. I almost had to chew this due to how much sediment and chunks of who knows what made it into my glass. Not much sour or funk to speak of.

(D)- Thus far, easily the most disappointing from the Upland Lambic lineup. The fruit is muted despite how fresh it is yet and there really isnt much else going on aside from some damp oak and very minute tartness. I literally almost had to chew this since there was so much "gunk" in this beer. I am sorry to say that this was a fail in my opinion.

2.61/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Batch 134-08, bottle 10/22/10. On removing the cork the beer began a slow gush, even after pouring a full glass the gushing continued. Easily managed but still a point to consider with opening this bottle.

The liquid is a murky pinkish color, maybe salmon pink. Lots of floaties, huge volume to the head which diminishes within minutes. Lots of dried sediment on the walls of the glass as it emptied.

Tart smelling, acetone and cherry. Honestly this is not an appealing smelling kriek, a bit too much nail polish and not enough cherry aroma. Same in the taste, this has an unpleasant background flavor of solvents. I tried and couldn't finish the whole bottle, a real shame. I'll give points for the sour edge but subtract them for poorly crafted flavor.

Not recommended, my least favorite lambic from Upland to date.

Overly sour with only a hint of fruit

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

This 750 mL bottle was from the late 2008 or early 2009 bottling. It was corked and capped; now Upland lambics are corked and caged like a champagne bottle. The first pour was beautiful – crystal clear and the color of honey with ruby highlights. No lacing in the glass but lots of bubbles rose from the bottom of the flute. The subsequent pours were cloudier and I ended with a flute of sediment that looked like a paintbrush had been cleaned in it – murky and dull.

The smell was of cherries. Faded, subdued cherries. A faint grain presence was there too. I may have cellared this one too long; unfortunately the aroma was past its prime.

The taste was boldly sour – just as expected! Woody and vinegary – like a fine aged balsamic. Lactic with only modest cherry flavor. Wonderfully tart with just enough malts presence to give it some structure. Drying with a long puckering finish. The body was light to medium with plenty of effervescence.

Again I see the error of my hoarding, I aged this one a bit too long. It’s fruitiness and bold cherry flavors have been muted. I have several other, younger lambics from Upland that I will need to review soon.

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks to Tom (TPatuto) for this one. Shared with schen9303. Poured from a capped and corked 750ml bottle into a Cantillon Iris glass.

A: Cork erupts with a muted pop. Standard pour yields a 1 finger foamy, coarse, white head with poor retention. Beer is an attractive, clear ruby-peach that reveals ample carbonation. Lacing is non-existant. Nice legs though. An attractive beer overall but the complete lack of lacing or head hurts a bit.

S: Nose is very subtle and simple. Sweet and tart cherry puree with some peachiness. Brett wet straw presence apparent in the background. Not much to think or talk about here though.

T: Opens Brett straw and woodiness with sprinkles of cobwebs and mustiness. Middle is cherry puree that is rather bland and rubbery. Tartness is there but again, very muted. Not much going on here. Dry towards the finish with a slight, puckering, cherry aftertaste. A bit too subtle here. Execution is nice but all the flavor just seems to have faded.

M: Light to medium bodied and highly carbonated. Crisp, bubbly, and abrasive in the mouth with a slight graininess going down. Lively all the way. Saliva-enducing, dry finish with a similar, dry aftertaste.

D: Its surprising that the Upland lambics have been so hit-or-miss for me at this point. The strawberry and raspberry were amazing but the blueberry and now cherry have been pedestrian at best. Worth a try because I suspect there's a bit of bottle variation and you just have to try ALL the flavors... but I wasn't particularly impressed here.

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottle capped and corked old bottle. Thanks cpferris for hooking it up. Sampled alongside the other seven fruit lambics.

A: Pours a lightly hazy apricot color with a minimal head.
S: Mellow cherry nose with an earthy musty funk. Very mellow.
T: Like the nose, the cherry flavors are muted and mellow. Not as brightly flavored as the other flavors were, but this is also older. A bit spritzy with light citrus. Earthy must in the finish.
M: Airy carbonation, bubbly and greasy mouthfeel, smooth medium body. Very light tartness and subdued acid.
O: Very mellow and past its prime for sure. This flavor would have done better with less age. Did not hold up against the Belgian greats. Thanks again Chad.

3.12/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Murky deep red, almost purple. Medium white head,

Smell - Really acidic. Cherry. A little vinegar.

Taste - As with all Upland lambics, it's extremely sour. Overpowering. I get some cherry. The rest is just acid.

Mouthfeel - Unpleasantly sour. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Outrageously sour. I don't know what I expect when I have one of these, but it's always the same.

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a tall pilsner glass.
Hand-written bottle date: 10/20/10 (Batch 134-08)

Aroma: Sour, wild bretty funk. An acetic/vinegar note. No real cherry coming across, but smell reminds me of the last kriek I had. The aroma clues me into the fact that this one's going to be more like an authentic kriek than a sweet, sugary Lindemann's lambic.

Appearance: "Thar she blows!" Upon popping the cork to a loud "POP!", beer begins gushing rapidly from the bottle. By the time it settles down, I've lost 1/4 of the beer. Having paid $25 for this one, I was NOT a happy camper... 2 finger off-white head disappears quickly, like the foam on a glass of soda. The body of the beer is opaque, and resembles pink grapefruit juice. (Did the little penguin in my refrigerator shake this one up on me or something?) Chunks of pink cherry pulp can be seen rising and falling through the side of the glass.

Flavor: Puckeringly tart. Lemon meets sour cherry meets musty funk. Very reminiscent of an "umeboshi" (Japanese pickled plum). The acidity worked very well with the thin slices of Gruyere that I enjoyed alongside.

Mouthfeel: Crisp bite from the carbonation. Much fuller mouthfeel than expected (medium-full), due to the cherry pulp and yeast in suspension. Tartness makes the mouth water.

Overall: I honestly enjoyed the aroma and taste of this one. However, the fact that I lost 1/4 of this relatively-expensive bottle from gushing left me feeling short-changed. Upland's blackberry, kiwi, and other lambics really sound interesting, but I don't think I can ever justify dropping $25 on one of these again.

3.46/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours with a one finger head that quickly disappears. No retention or lacing. Faint reddish pink hue reminiscent of grapefruit juice.

Slightly artificial aroma. Cherries are present on the nose, and a straw/barnyard/sweaty sock aroma is evident from the brett. Slightly medicinal/chemical aroma.

Nice cherry flavor on the front end, midpalate is too sweet and medicinal, finishes with a hint of funk.

Fine carbonation; very effervescent. A little syrupy. Overall, good mouthfeel.

Overall, a decent effort - nowhere near as good as blackberry or blueberry, in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how this develops at the fruit character dies down a little. Should improve as the brett dries this out.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer pours a nice murky ruby color, almost like the inside of a grapefruit. A few floaties in there with about a fingers worth of bubbly head that dissipated fairly quickly.

S.

aroma on this is a little weak. The brett is in there, but not as funky as say, their strawberry. The cherry is in there, but I had to dig my nose in a glass a few times to really point out the fact that it really IS cherry. Perhaps a subtle aroma of an old sock drawer in this as well.

T.

Decent lambic qualities with its sourness and a little tartness. The cherry/fruit in this beer is a little sweet, almost like syrupy sweet, but not as bad as a Lindemans. I was hoping for something a little more barnyardy with less sweetness.

M.

About medium bodied, with an OK carbonation. I could go for a little more of that prickly sensation in the mouth. Finish is slightly dry, however there is a touch of sweetness coating the mouth. Almost like an artificial sweetener feel to it.

O.

I'm a little disappointed by this as cherry is usually my favorite lambic flavor. The "cherry" was a little hard to point out in this beer, however the fruity sweetness was not. These beers are pricey and a pain to obtain which knocks this as well. I've had the blackberry from this same batch and I thought that was MUCH better than this.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

RBSG09 bottle at the grand tasting. Thanks whoever brought this! Pours a dark orangey goldenrod hue with a fluffy white head. Sour lemony aroma with some faint cherry pit notes. Tart and lemony, acidic, no real cherry flavor. Some wood and yeast there too. Effervescent and light bodied.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

this is supposed to be some pretty special stuff, especially name dropping lambic so casually, and i was pumped to try it, but the experience was a letdown in retrospect. its hazy cherry red, like a ford mustang without the shine, sexy, but soft, pleasant. more carbonation than i am accustomed to in a lambic, which i like. the nose is fruity as anything, jammy, a tad sweet, but tart too, intensely so in fact, lactic and caustic almost, definitely too much to do a bottle alone. i get that from the smell alone. the taste is well fruited, not as authentic as some of its peers, but reasonable on the sugar and candy front. the sourness of this beer is aggressive, almost unnecessary, its punishing and coats the throat with a drying rough sensation like i swallowed one thousand sour patch kids at once. the fruit gets a little more sweet and fake seeming as it warms, but when i focus i can get fresh cherries. the sourness is a distraction from everything else, and the wheat malt base is simply not enough to convey the intended message here. carbonation is enjoyable, but the drying burning mouthfeel is annoying to me, it serves no purpose. a step short of something like motherfunker, but this is not an elite fruited sour in my eyes, still keen to try their kiwi and others, but this was in the B range at best.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my buddy Michael for the opportunity to try this beer. Opened this one at La Bella with Joey and Danny.

The beer was a rosy color, like a blushed cheek, with almost no foam. Lots of yeast sediment like all the other Upland Lambics so far, making the beer look more like a yogurt.

The aroma consisted of cherry pits, but not as intense as I thought it would be, also some leather and a decent amount of funk. Very yeasty too.

Same flavor as the aroma with a bit of plastic in the finish....a bit of tart cherry flavor, not very complex at all.

Best feature of the beer was the carbonation, bubbly in the middle with a decent finish. I'm glad I opened this one with some friends as I would have had some trouble finishing the beer by myself...average at best.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. I'm not exactly sure on the release dates, but I believe this bottle was a little under two years old when we had it.

Pours a golden color with a bit of a red-orange tint to it. Faint white head without much lacing. The nose brings some muted cherry characteristics along with a bit of earth and maybe some light, light oak. The taste is again mild cherries with a bit of sourness and light grain. Not much funk or barnyard. I was glad to try this, but it was the least interesting of the lambics that I've had from them.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF #5

Bottle number 9 courtesy of johnbjaeger

A - cork and cage pours a color that can only be described as grapefruit with a nice bright white cap that quickly faded

S - Ah, this smells so good. wonderful funk, oak, some fruit, maybe cherries or some other sweetness.

T - the flavor seems to be cherry or strawberry, a mustiness mixed with some oak along with a bit of a medicinal quality to the finish.

M - light carbonation yet prickly in my mouth, medium body with a slightly puckering finish, the adicity is starting to get to me a bit

D - its good, I don't know if its something i'd go for more than once a night, and I wonder how my stomach will be afterward, but its really enjoyable.

I really liked this one, though one is enough at a time. So lets see what we have here...

Upland Cherry Lambic
nice! I wasn't expecting one of these. I've been curious and I'm glad I got to try it.

3.5/4/3.5/3.5/3.5

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle sample at Crown #19.

Poured a cloudy reddish yellow color with an average frothy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

Moderate to heavy sour fruity and yeasty aroma.

Medium body with a sticky texture and soft carbonation.

Medium fruity sour flavor with a medium sour finish of moderate duration.

This is a very good lambic.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Batch 134-08, bottled on 10/22/10, 750 ml corked and caged bottle. Served in a flute, the beer pours a pinkish/orange color with about an inch light pink head that stayed around a little while. There's also some sediment floaties that I can see in the glass. Not much lacing at all. Aroma is tart cherries, oak, funk and vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also some lemon peel noticable. The cherry flavor is weak at first, but it does get somewhat stronger as the beer warms up more. With that being said, the cherry flavor still wasn't strong overall. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium with high carbonation. I think it's a decent enough brew, I'd like to try Upland's other fruit lambics to see how they compare with this one.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Early 2011 batch. Opened on May 28, 2011. I've enjoyed working my way through the Upland lambics, and this is the penultimate one in my current stash.

Pours a tea rose with a short-lived half-finger head. Subsequent pours yield a nice two finger bubbling head. It's "duller" than I expected in color.

Some tart cherry and wet oak on the nose, but there's also a lot of strawberry sweetness. Upland funk: straw, sweat, and a little bit of medicinal character.

Sweet/sour berries, musty funk, and lots of lactic acidity. Some lemon sourness and oak contrast the tart cherry dominated taste profile.

Medium with just over medium carbonation. Pretty lively. The lactic acidity lingers on the tongue; the feeling it brings about reminds me of holding a sour skittle to the tip of my tongue. Pretty sweet on the finish, all things considered.

Par for the course, this is an enjoyable American sour. Better than Strawberry, but not as good as Blackberry, Persimmon, or Peach, IMO. A little too sweet - when I came to write my review, I actually searched for Strawberry Lambic first, since that was the dominant berry note here, especially on the nose. Still, worth trying once.

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Shared from a year old bottle, drank from a snifter.

Color was golden and the fine white head heald up well.

The nose was of cherries and chevre cheese, not in a bad way, but you new the sour was coming.

The taste was started out nice with some cherry, almost a marzipan flavor. As quick as the flavor shown, it disappeared leaving a very bland mid swallow taste.

This was very drinkable, carbonation was just right, the flavor just vanished too quickly.

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottle shard by Thorpe. Thanks! Beer is red and hazy with a white diffuse head. No lacing moderate carbonation.

The aroma of the beer is heavy with Brett b but as it warms it gets more cherry. The acetic and lactic acid present too.

Beer is pretty funky and sour with a mild tartness from the cherries. The beer is less cherry than I expected more acetic and stronger oakiness and Brett character than I expected. I liked it enough but it is not my favorite lambic of theirs.

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 1 (2008) shared by sigma23 at the SMBDC sour tasting in January. 3-4 oz served in a tasting glass

A: Goldenrod color, slightly cloudy. 1/2 finger white head that disappears rather quickly

S: Some funk, but not much fruit at all. If anything, I get some strawberry essence

T: Starts off tart, then smooths out. Strawberry fruit. Where is the cherry? Overall the beer seems to have faded a bit. Slight amount of bandaid in the finish

M: Light bodied. Slightly tart, dry finish

D: I haven't had this fresh, but those who had said it's not the same. This one is going downhill, so drink up

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 10/2010.

Appearance: Upland Cherry pours a hazy orange color with ruby highlights. Upon pouring, a wispy white head forms, which has little retention and no lacing. Not the most attractive lambic I have seen by any stretch.

Smell: Smells primarily of lacto sourness and tart lemons, with slightly vegetal notes as well, and a hint of tart cherries.

Taste: Puckering lemon tartness and lacto notes. Again, slightly vegetal with perhaps a bit of cherry. Quite sour, but not all that complex.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied with fairly low carbonation. A pretty good feel overall. Perhaps could use a little more carbonation. Overall, a nice lambic. Definitely a high level of lacto sourness in this beer with the age. It could be more complex, as for me the cherries did not add anything to the beer other than more tartness. And the vegetal notes did not do it any favors either.

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cherry "Lambic", been wanting to try this Upland stuff for a looooong time and for some reason it hasn't worked out until now. Stoked!! Bottled 10.10.13, batch 12.08

A. Pours a rich burgundy with a thin pale pink head that fades to a thick collar. So far so good.

S. Nice whole sour cherries including that awesome cinnamon/almond smell from the pits. Touch of vinegar in there too.

T. Whoa, VERY sour is the first thing that hits me. Not crazy acetic, more like lemon juice on steroids. Some nice cherry in there but there's little sweetness to balance out that crazy sourness.

M. Medium body, very soft and smooth low+ carbonation.

O. Drinkability is just not there with this level of sourness. ...However, I do like sour stuff and a single glass of this is pretty fun. I would drink this again, but I definitely won't be going through this 750 with any haste.

Thinking the hype on this one is a pretty dated now. US sours have really come a long way in the last 5 years, both in quality and selection.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a pink-peachy colour, with a foaming head that settles into a Caesar head. Medium or even a tad less mouthfeel. It has that aroma a la Cantillon. Woodiness, and cherries are there all right, and sourness is malted away. A good drinking ale, nice summer drinker but neither outstanding as far as a kriek goes, better than average for a fruit beer. Active carbonation that aids digestion through burping. Sourness builds up, men drink up. Being traditional lambic cherry, it may be that the strawberry was superior and more unique.

Cherry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company