Peach Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Ratings: 356 | Reviews: 101
3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

poured into a tulip

A.

pours a hazy orange/peach color. With about 1 fingers worth of white head that dissipates pretty fast.

S.

A nice sour funky lambic smell, nothing too strong but very good for an American version. Subtle unripe peaches. I could go for more fruit aroma in this however.

T.

A nice lactic sourness up front, a little vinegary throughout the beer. Like aroma, I could've used more peach. The subtle peach I do get in here is unripe peaches. Perhaps an extremely ripe peach would leave more flavor in this beer while it sat in the barrels. A good beer, but not worth 20 bucks a bottle.

M.

Light bodied, decent carbonation. A slight dry finish in this beer.

D.

At little pricey and hard to come by so it rates a little low. If I were to go out of my way for the Upland lambics, I'd grab a blueberry or datalion just based on taste. I wouldn't turn one down if offered however.

3.42/5  rDev -17.2%

2010 vintage. Thanks for sharing, Kyle!

A - Murky orange color in the glass with a big, fizzy, quickly collapsing white head. No lacing.

S - Lactic tart aroma with a bit of vinegar in it. Funky brett, sweet malts, and a subtle hint of peaches.

F/M - Funky barnyard flavors, lactic tartness, again with a touch of vinegar. Sweet fresh peaches are more prevalent in the flavor, but still quite subdued. Medium light bodied, moderately high carbonation, but not as carbonated as expected. Lingering bready malts and slight vinegary tartness.

D - Alright, but the low carbonation and vinegar notes really ding this beer. Pretty easy to drink, but its just kind of bland. I know peaches are hard to get a lot of flavor out of, so Id like to see if the other wilds from Upland are any better.

3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from 750ml caged and cork bottle. This one gushed resulting in about 1/3 of the bottle being lost. Shared with Lukafer.

A- Pours a hazy peach color. No real head on this beer just some light whisps of white foam on the top of the beer. Left spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Strong vinegar notes with a hint of lactic acidic bursts here and there. I had to take my nose out of the snifter to get a hint of peach way far in the backing. This only comes through in hints though which was sad to say the least. Overall it just smells funky but not really in a good or bad way...it's just kind of there.

T- The front of this is funky with vinegar like strong notes. Also there is some bready malts in the front that last into the middle of the flavor profile. Some very very very light peach hints that fade rather quickly in the middle. This made me sad because I had higher hopes for the peach flavor in this. Ending goes back with some sour pucking notes. Even this though comes through with a big vinegar zest to it.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is very light for the style. Vinegar notes left on the palate is all. Some light peach notes with tons of vinegar bitterness/sourness left in the aftertaste with hints of alcohol. Light overall drying on the palate from alcohol. Flavors were one sided and not toward what it should be. Off flavors couldn't be detected.

D- This beer was average for the style. Upland really let me down with this beer and I don't think I'll ever buy this lambic from them again. Bottle gushed and there were no real lasting peach flavor. It was good as a flavorless just sour mess.

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%

Latest batch release, thanks to Mike I believe...Pours a light hazy peach, good looking. Lots of head at first, falls very quickly though...The aroma is fantastic, sweet peaches mixed with the perfect amount of tartness...The taste is more of the same, sweet yet tart peaches, could use a tad more tartness though. Some sugar notes with a little oak. So good, and easily crushable...The feel is really nice, as its got a nice puckering sensation.

Another stellar Upland. Clearly shows the newest batch is on POINT. You gotta get you some!

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

This bottle pours the muddiest or apricot oranges with no head at all. It began to foam really quickly but I poured all of it before it could billow out of the bottle. It smells like a very, very dry fruit infused sour. It also has a good amount of hay and funkiness. It tastes of dried apricot and of dried peach skins. It reminds me of dried fruit through and through. The bitterness is both efficient and appealing. The flavor is between apricot and peach, which is confusing. I do like it though. It drinks very crisp. The carbonation is actually perfect, especially considering it began to foam and then that was it. This beer was good but probably not $20 a bottle good. It's a good sour, which I had been told, but it wasn't spectacular. I realize it was a 400 or so bottle batch but it could've been better. I have another bottle so hopefully it gets better with time. Good beer though, not great.

3.82/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

5-17-2012 review:
A few updates on a new batch. This one is way over-carbonated, cork shot out and there was some gushing. Not really enough peach. Otherwise the review is the same.

***
7-12-2010 review:
Appearance: Quite hard to get the cork out of this one, I was afraid the bottle was going to break (it was giving off shards). An aggressive pour yielded no real head or lacing. First pour is peach colored but cleaner, second pour is a bit dirty.

Smell: Lightly bruised, unripe peaches (with skins), sour and tart. Also some nice sour and funky elements. Very enjoyable, although it could use more fruit and perhaps a touch more funk.

Taste: Sour, without making you brace for a sip. Again, lightly bruised peaches, with their skins, and a light funk. Very dry, not sweet at all.

Mouthfeel: They need to work on this part, a tickle at best. Would move this from "good" to "very good" or even "great"

Drinkability: Goes down oh so easy, I'd like it to be more lambic with more sour and funk (and more fruit), but this is enjoyable as well. Upland uses a yeast strain that normally bothers me but I don't pick it up in this one. After trying it twice I have had my fill but the late 2010 batch was definitely an improvement on the earlier batch.

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Got this first batch bottling from Bobby91w... shared with Ditmier and Buckeyeboy over the weekend... Thanks Bobby for the great trade!

Pours clear golden... no head.. virtually no carbonation.

Nose is a weak mixture of acetic, mild funk, and only hints of indiscernible fruits... maybe peach... maybe fruity fermentation esters... damn.... I had better hopes for this one.

Flavor has fruity malt vinegar... still though pretty light. The acetic element sorta buries the funk and fruit... barnyard brett is there, but in minimal quantities... I can see the peach in the taste, but I have to concentrate..

any bit of carbonation would help... but it would probably just turn it into a bad wine cooler.

This was by far my least favorite of the Upland Lambics so far.

Thanks to Bobby for sure despite my above negatives... I am glad I was able to score them in one nice trade instead of piecemealling them together.

Again as always... Bobby if you're still serving... Thanks and stay safe.

3/3/3.5/2.5/3.5

3.71/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a cloudy orange with no head at all. The aroma is acrid and vinegar-like. The taste is much more subtly sour than I expected. The lambic is still wine-like and peach flavored, but overall way better than I expected. I'm very curious what hte abv is because it's no tposted, but I would get this again if I could ever find it.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Started as a light golden color and when we got down to the yeast, it clouded things up.

S - Very funky with a bit of peach. More wild ale than peach.

T - The taste is very complex, and strange. The predominant flavor is funk and sour/tart flavors. There is a slight hint of peach on the aftertaste, but not a ton.

M/D - Mouthfeel is very even and smooth considering the extreme flavors. I would call this something I'm glad that I'm splitting with people because I wouldn't want this bottle to myself.

3.77/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a solid golden with a light sun color with a very thin ring of fizz.
Smell is complexy fruity and funked yeast- almost sour.
Taste is well done- a smooth sour yeast- a light peach/light fruit taste.
Finish is almost dry- a very nice sour's yeast after-taste.
Drinks well- lambic are easy drinkers but tough to be impressed with a low ABV

3.59/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Pours mildly cloudy, pale orange like hue. No real head or lace.

S: Aromas of peach candy, light crystal malts.

T: Sort of watery to be honest. Fresh peach with the fuzzy skin. The more you drink the artificial it begins to taste though. Rather light citric acid beneath. Very light oak.

M: Sort of thin, a bit watery.

D: Just okay.

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

750ml bottle from the cellar.

Pours orangy gold with crystle clarity and zero head. Barely a trace of carbonation with a stretch-pour, just a fine bead around the edge of the placid surface.

Aromatics lead off with plenty of fruit-laden brett. Peach juice, catty funk, earthy must, and oiled boards. Slightly peppery with hints of vinegar and wet socks.

Light bodied with a mouthfeel that falls flat due to the low carbonation.

Fresh peaches with a wheaty twang start the palate. Mild but bright acid pulls through as well as traces of lemon oil and vinegar.

Finishes with lingering fruit, tart acid, and a peppery burn.

Pretty much a letdown from the get-go. A flat pour followed by a promising nose but fairly weak in the palate. Lacking the sourness and sharp acid base needed for the style and I was at least expecting some tartness from the pits. Tasty enough but not worth the expense of the bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Think brew is aged.

The taste isnt as sour as I thought. I was hoping peach would be the most sour.

The taste is mostly refreshing and peach. Its good! I, however, wish it was a little more sour. It has a slightly funky taste that I cant get a grasp on.

Overall, this is a good brew!

Cheers!

3.54/5  rDev -14.3%

Tasted on 6.13 included in part of an epic tasting. From notes.

Nice peachy color. flat, no head. Nice, vibrant aroma, but is it peaches? It's certainly fruity but not necessarily distinctively peaches. Low level of sourness/acidity, and overall very underwhelming in the flavor after a fairly nice aroma- just subtle sweet fruits. Suffers greatly from the lack of carbonation. A spritzer-like carbonation would do wonders for this beer.

3.47/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The last in the series of Uplands as I do not believe I will be able to try the Kiwi. Still it was a decent, if not underwhelming run through. Served chill and poured into a snifter, the corked and capped 750ml bottle was consumed on 06/02/2009.

The pour was a lot like what I had seen in the rest of the series, lack luster. Pale peach color highlighted a light amber that had no visible carbonation or head what so ever. Lots of tart, acidic aroma coming off of it. Vinegar and what I guess to be the remnants of the peach flavor. As I lean in for a sip, there is a quick shot of fruit up front but it quickly fades leaving nothing in its wake but a mellowed, and very sour wild ale. Light on the carbonation, and easily drinkable, albeit a touch boring.

I have found this whole series to be underwhelming. The fruit flavor was absent in most all of them, blackberry aside, and the lack of carbonation and overall pour look could be attributed to all but one having a leaky cork. Not sure what is going on with these fully, but there are underwhelming to say the least.

3.54/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks photekut for this one.
Large corked and capped bottle poured into a tulip.

Interestingly, when you pop open the cap, there is some fizzing coming out, on the sides of the cork, and then you pop open the cork, and minimal carbonation. The cork seemed quite tight, so I don't know how this happened, but it is the second Upland I get the same thing happening.
Golden, minimal haziness, little to no head; whatever covers the beer is just a few tiny bubbles.
Aroma is quite funky upfront, leathery and horse blanket which I did not expect based on other reviews; it also has a subtle oakiness, peach notes, some tartness and acidity.
Light to medium bodied, refreshing but could definitely use a bit more carbonation.
A little acidity on the palate, subtle oakiness and peach, tartness, not a lot more.
I would love to see more carbonation, and some of that funk translate into the flavor. I like how the peach is just a note as opposed to an overwhelming flavor, but this one needs a little bit more work.

Bottle courtesy of JCB (thanks Jason!). Pours a cloudy light orange with no real head. Aroma is quite funky and sour with a small touch of bitter hops. Nice oakiness with slight fruity notes. Flavor of coconut (unusual, but I definitely taste it...) and tangy peach. Very little acidity. Not enough peach for me, but still quite a good lambic. I'm glad I got to try this!
8/4/8/4/16 (4.0/5)

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Thanks to Jay23 for the opportunity to try this beer.

Pours very similar to the other Upland lambics, very cloudy and yeasty, this one with an orangeade type of color, no head whatsoever.

Some brett on the nose, not very developed yet. Lemons, peach, nectarines as well, maybe a bit of orange too.

Peach fruitiness, peach juice, no tartness and hardly any funk. Faint hay flavors. Mild plastic yeast flavors. Like most of their other lambics the base beer is just not complex and their yeast cultures just aren't up to the job for this style.

No carbonation, very thin...decent for a young lambic though.

It is easy to drink and it's not that offensive, but it just isn't a great representation of a lambic. Could definitely use some aging.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Tried this courtesy of ATLbeerDog - thanks!

Pours a peach color that's got some amber hues in the bottom and lightens up toward the top of the glass - absolutely no head or lacing.

Smells of unripened fruits - both sweet and tart, with a good deal of barnyard funk.

Tastes different than it smells. The barnyard funk is hardly present, instead the fruit flavors take over. Mostly peaches, but with hints of pears, they start out sweet, then move slightly to the tart side, then back to the sweet side to linger in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is interesting - it's very close to being flat, but I noticed a few bubbles popping out here and there.

Drinkability is good. The flavors are interesting, but I could definitely see this getting more complex with some age on it.

Overall this was a good beer, but I think it has the potential to be a lot better after the sweetness mellows out and the funk has some time to grow.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

750 Bottle - Pours a beautiful, incredibly cloudy peach/grapefruit color with the consistency and look of fruit juice. No carbonation is visible. Smells only of Brettanomyces. First sip is mostly Brett but surprisingly there is plenty sweetness left and really not too sour. Almost no carbonation to speak of in the mouthfeel. My guess is a year in the cellar and the sweetness will be more eaten and we'll have a funkier beer to enjoy.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

750mL bottle shared by ATLbeerDog.

This thing looks a good bit like an unfiltered grapefruit juice - milky, completely flat and fluorescent golden orange with hints of pink in there.

The aroma was a nice mix of sweet peaches and tart fruit notes. There is a hint of funk though it's pretty subtle and certainly not overpowering.

The taste is even sweeter than the aroma and is dominated by the sweet peaches. It tastes like peach juice with the faintest hint of funk in the background.

The mouthfeel is very slick with no carbonation to speak of.

This is certainly a drinkable lambic, mainly because there is almost no funk in there yet. I have a feeling this one will be much more representative of the style in a year or two when the funk starts to come out. Pretty fruity in it's current state.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

750ml bottle thanks to tjthresh. When I removed the cap the cork was bubbling, I wonder what it would look like in a couple years, I'm guessing black and moldy like a Cantillon. The first whiff I took from the bottle got me excited for the funk. It smells like a nice fruity lambic, a little funk but not distinct peachiness. The color is hazy golden orange and it is completely flat which is a let down. There is hardly any sourness until the end and the flavor is kind of weak in my opinion resembling watered-down juice. Sadly this is probably my least favorite of the Upland lambics I've had.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottle sample at Crown #19.

Poured a cloudy orange color with an average frothy off-white head that mostly diminished with fair lacing.
Moderate to heavy peach, herbs and yeasty aroma.
Medium body with a sticky texture.
Medium to heavy fruity sour flavor with a medium to heavy sweet finish of moderate to long duration.

Good, but not the best of 7.

3.27/5  rDev -20.8%

750ml bottle.

Poured a medium and cloudy goldenish color with a medium sized off white head. Aromas of peaches, wood, yeast, and some brett. Tastes of peaches, wood, and earthy. Least favorite of the Uplands we cracked tonight (we also had the Cherry and Raspberry) and could use some more time.

Notes from and tasted on 10/25/07

3.42/5  rDev -17.2%

A careful pour produces no real head and yet still shows no bubbles trying to rise through this beer. The beer is a hazy, gold-tinged, light amber hue that does show a nice orange tint to it when held up to the light. Up front the aroma smells of fruit, through the middle is smells tart and the finish has a toasty oak note to it that accentuates a fruitiness with some coconut-like notes. Interesting, the more I smell this the more confused I get about what is oak and what is fruit; I do know that there is a significant coconut aroma to this beer. There is also some spicy oak like notes that seem to accentuate an almost Bourbon like alcohol warming. Other than light sourness in the nose, the aroma is very sparse on any funky notes that one would find in a traditional Lambic. As the beer warms a touch of aromatic peach skin character starts to become noticeable towards the finish; almost more flower-like than fruit like, but it does seem to finally take on some peach-derived aromas. The oak definitely seems to be the major contributor to the nose, and it is nicely done, but I would have love to have seen more peach character and some barnyard funk.

Only lightly tart, quite mellow actually though it does have a touch of lactic sourness. The coconut note is quite noticeable in the flavor as well. Maybe a tickle of carbonation is here but by almost any measure this is a flat beer. Some carbonation would certainly have provided a lot of nice texture to this beer, it does not quite come off as watery though and does have a touch of heft to it. Peach flavors are not overtly apparent here, the coconut note certainly is wrapped up in and accentuates a fruitiness here. This has a definite nuttiness to it (that most often leans towards coconut) that makes me wonder if some of it might be influenced by the peach character. This is quite dry , with no perceived sweetness.

Definitely a bit of a disappointment, this is not bad though, it just could be so much more. The lack of sourness, much less bracing acidity, one expects in a Lambic is a glaring hole, and there isn't even any barnyard funkiness to up the complexity here. The lack of carbonation hurts a bit more, but would not really have been an issue if the other Lambic characteristics had been captured. Actually because of the lack of sourness and funk, the carbonation issue becomes all that much more of a problem.

Peach Lambic from Upland Brewing Company