Double Dragonfly Imperial IPA - Upland Brewing Company

Double Dragonfly Imperial IPADouble Dragonfly Imperial IPA

good

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

(Beer added by: Gritsak on 08-03-2009)

Another6Pack, Nov 22, 2011

southhousebrew, Dec 13, 2011

adamant1912, Dec 05, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

Bubblesgas, Jul 24, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

Got this one in my poker winnings from SuperNova777. Thanks a lot bud!

Poured a rich copper color with an inch of slightly off white head and very good lacing.

Smell is fantastic. Very hoppy throughout. This beer smells great!!!

Taste is very very good. Great bitter hop flavor throughout.

Medium mouthfeel on this easy drinking beer. Went down smooth and easy.

I enjoyed this one a lot. Luckily I just noticed it in one of my local stores. I'll definitely get this one again.

richkrull, May 18, 2011

MichaelBurns, Jan 03, 2012

TerryB, Sep 11, 2013

BennyThon, Jan 14, 2014

ToddGingerich, Dec 25, 2013

PhineasGage, Jan 27, 2012

drunkciclista, Jul 30, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance: Completely clear, copper-amber. Very pretty. One finger head, exactly the color of "Sugar in the Raw," reducing to a quarter inch with fine texture. Fairly significant lacing.

Smell: I can smell it from over a foot away! Smells like Christmas potpourri from a distance... Rich and spicy. Up close, it smells like pine resin and caramel hard candy. Love the smells this is giving off.

Taste: Interesting. This is the first Imperial IPA i've ever had that I want to drink while eating food. It has a savory note that would be best suited along side a heaping bowl of chicken tikka and garlic naan. It's crazy bitter, but palatable for me. Not terribly complex, which I find odd. Just had Devil Dancer yesterday, and I taste more alcohol in this 9.1% than I did with the 12% in DD. Gin-like aromatics dominate my palate long after a sip. It's sweet at first but then turns bone-dry, leaving my tongue a little fuzzy feeling.

Mouthfeel: Not slippery feeling like most high ABV brews. A fair amount of carbonation keeps this nice a crispy on the tongue. With attributes like this, I find it odd that the alcohol is as obvious as it is. Still, it's a fairly easy drinker. Two of these bombers and i'd be tipsy.

Overall: Great beer... I like this a lot better than the regular Dragonfly IPA. I am NOT a fan of Upland's stuff. I am an avid lover of local breweries, but their stuff just doesn't always agree with me. With so many great breweries around here to choose from, I can afford to be choosy. That being said, this beer was well above par. The price was phenomenal... I don't think i've ever seen a good IIPA this cheap! So for that reason alone, I would probably buy it again... Especially when the wife and I make Indian food!

908carson, Jul 04, 2010

illestkilla, Apr 20, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

My first Uplands beer, had this on new pint night at O'sheas. Poured a wonderful clear medium copper hue with a light tan 3/4" head,great lacing. Well balanced aroma, malty with a citrus presence.

What a great tasting, well balanced beer. A strong caramel malt flavor with a ice bitter finish. I'll have to say if I had to judge the taste on what a Double IPA should be it would get a lower rating. But if it was that hoppy I probably wouldn't have finished it..I'm no hophead. As it was I barely expected to be able to drink it, yet had 3.

An easy drinking, smooth, crisp beer. Didn't know the alcohol content while drinking them, maybe thats why the wife drove home

Looking forward to trying more Upland beers

chaunur, Aug 14, 2009

mtrain237, Jun 30, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Copper hued with nice clarity. Cream colored head that leaves incredible lacing.

S - Huge caramel malt backbone. Floral hops. A bit grassy.

T - Again the caramel malt dominates. The hops kick in toward the finish. Piny, floral. A bit of alcohol. Nicely balanced.

M - Good and thick. Very smooth.

D - Very easy going down for 9.1%. If I had more time at the brewpub I could have been in trouble.

infestaxion, Aug 08, 2009

BoJengs, Jan 05, 2014

IkeMan90, Jul 28, 2014

olafphysics, Feb 15, 2012

neckbracesub, Nov 07, 2012

ObiWanKushnobi, Oct 29, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

dark amber color with a light level of haziness that seemed to clear as the night went on. small head of white comes up and over the top, settling down with a nice light lacing throughout.

aroma of deep resin filled hops that really hung in the air. lots of orange, and dark, sweet citrus notes, a classic for sure right out of the gate. warming brought a touch of sweet malts into the mix but overall it definitely stayed the course with a deep an heavenly hop aroma. feel was very full, sticky and dead on. thick flavor of orange hops and sweet malts mingle on the tongue and create a huge resin filled flavor

mikesgroove, Jun 28, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

thanks to lukafer for this.

a - light golden pour with a good amount of head and nice lacing.

s - smell is pine and floral hops with some malt sweetness. nose isn't that strong.

t - I'm a big fan of the not so hop forward dipa's, so this is right up my ally. hops bitterness is definitely there, but there is a good amount sweetness and malts. very balanced flavor.

m - medium body. carbonation is spot on. slightly dry finish.

overall - this is a great dipa. if you're a huge hop head, this might not be your favorite, but if you like balanced dipa's, check this one out. very drinkable, and the 9.1% (what?!?) is very well masked.

levifunk, Nov 04, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

All but nails the look it's supposed to have. Light burnt orange pour, slight haze, and all kinds of things floating in it. The head is just over a finger thick of bright white bubbles of all different sizes. It's cloudy, foamy and craterous, like an IPA should look. Eventually the head implodes in the middle, working its way out, pulling in the perimeter, leaving a thick lace.

The scent is pretty fantastic. A mix of pine, grapefruit and pineapple fill the nose. Just so it's not too hoppy, scents of pale and caramel rise up for balance.

Citrus dominates early on with those lovely grapefruit and pineapple flavors making a showing early on. Eventually the pine arrives at midsip, but there's something else in there that's a bit unusual and I can't quite put my finger on it. I can't tell if it's banana or strawberry, but there's something in there.

It's fairly easy to drink for an imperial. You can put a check by bitterness because it's got plenty, but it's not a palate destroyer. There's a hidden sweetness throughout and the IPA oily feeling is prevalent as the beer leaves your mouth and enters the throat. ABV is well masked and I'd only consider this medium bodied.

Overall, Upland has done a nice job with this. While I enjoyed the regular Dragonfly beer, I really prefer this with it's stronger notes of everything. It's still a manageable beer and won't hurt you too bad.

RickS95, Aug 11, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very nice murky copper with some very nice head and excellent lacing throughout. Very hoppy/bitter scent, slightly floral and largely grassy with a nice underlying malt. Good flavor; deeply malty with a huge hoppiness during and after; a lot of grass and a bit of jerky. Goes down fine, slightly thick, and with a slight dullness at the end; muted hops instead of bright hops. Still an excellent beer overall!

JamesS, Aug 06, 2010