Upland Valley Hefe-weizen - Upland Brewing Company

Upland Valley Hefe-weizenUpland Valley Hefe-weizen

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Hefeweizen |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BitteBier on 08-01-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.9/5  rDev -44.6%

This brew poured a medium head of fine to medium sized off white mostly lasting bubbles and a cloudy semi-opaque light brown colored body. It has a mild malt aroma, fair lacing and apple, banana and clove flavors that linger well into the aftertaste.

TheDM, Jul 24, 2003
2.03/5  rDev -40.8%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Bottled in March 2009 I am assuming, but only 04/05/06 years are available to be notched on the side of the label. Reusing old labels perhaps? Once again, I have to thank BeerFMAndy for helping me out in trying new stuff!

(A)- Pours a golden orange amber that looks just like carbonated apple juice.

(S)- Smells exactly like I thought it looked like: apple juice only with a light bananna note.

(T)- Light with apple juice and light bananna.

(M)- Very poor carbonation with what already feels like cheap apple juice to me. Bad batch?

(D)- This is either made really badly or is just way too old. Nothing really jumps out to me as saying this is beer except that its carbonated. I would love the opportunity to try it again either fresh or the way it should be, cause I dont think this is the way its supposed to be like.

sweemzander, Sep 27, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -35.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Weizen glass. Bottled May notched but the year showed '04, '05, and '06, none of them notched. Since the rest in the sample pack were fresh, I'll assume this is from '09 and they reused old labels. "Serve with yeast" on bottle. Done and done.

A - Cloudy and gold with moderate action, this beer's head was white and fluffy to start with but due to poor retention became nothing more than a thin layer which left no lacing.

S - The aroma is of yeast primarily. Not a good yeast but a funky, homebrew something-went-wrong type of yeast (believe me, I know, I've experienced it far more than I should divulge). Besides that it has the makings of a good hefe underneath the yeast. Light bubblegum and banana esters with a mild clove and coriander spiciness. If it weren't for the bad yeast aroma, it would be a winner.

T - This tastes like bad Mr. Beer homebrew. It's an unpleasant yeasty flavor that tastes like its either far too old or wasn't properly fermented to begin with - somewhat astringent and cidery. The light banana, bubblegum, and spices are still there but are completely overshadowed by the yeasty grossness. Maybe I shouldn't have poured with the sediment...

M - Smooth on the tongue and a little bit chewy, it has a fair carbonation bite to the finish. Light-medium in body.

D - This is just wrong. It may end up as a drain-pour in a sip [poured it after this paragraph] and a definite email to the company which is something I've never done. It's drinkable but barely so. I'd have to be drunk to drink this without noticing how its off.

[I contacted the company. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't bother but their brews, based on the sample pack, are of good quality. This one was way off. When I have a good Valley Weizen I will amend my review.]

BeerFMAndy, Aug 18, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -28.6%

This beer poured a medium sized head of fine-small sized bubbles. It had good lacing on the sides of my glass and it had a clove aroma to it. The body of this beer was cloudy. The mouthfeel was thin and watery and it had a bitter taste to it. German Wheats are one of my favorite styles of beer, but in my opinion this just was not a good tasting German Wheat beer in my opinion.

hotstuff, Jul 21, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

HumanParaquat, Aug 04, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for sharing this one. Pours a cloudy orange color with a medium head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is very unpleasant. Definately not good 'wheat beer aromas'. Smells kind of stank. The flavor is better than the aroma. There is some flavor of banana and slight citrus and clove, but it finishes really dry and slightly unpleasant. The body is really thin. I'd prefer my hefe to have some creamy-ness to it, but this has none of that. The drinkability is ok, but the flavor is unfortunate.

clvand0, Jul 06, 2005

thanks to.. uhh.. someone i met in indiana

darker, tea colored pour. big spongy head dissolving slowly in patches. bubbly. yeasty aroma with wheat, strawberries and faint banana. very different taste for a hefe. banana and clove traits are there, but in a supporting role. quite heavy beer with big portions of alcohol and overripe dates. mildly belgian in its fermentation. approaching weissebock funk levels. drinkability is probably the worst aspect of this beer.. hits the belly like a rock, burns a bit, and every sip is like a rollercoaster ride of unusual, unexpected flavors some might consider 'off'.

something interesting here, just messy.

goodbyeohio, Jul 21, 2005

Knoxrb12, Yesterday at 12:42 PM
3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a slightly hazy orange color. The nose tells me this is not a hefeweizen. Okay. Just read the style. Not a dunkel at all. No chance. People need to do a little more research before entering these into the system. The nose is not doing it for me. I get a lemoney wheat with a light hint of banana and clove, but it is really hiding behind the citrusy. The flavor is a little better. More clove than banana, but its not another american wheat that is named a hefe. They get a little more respect for that. The flavor is a little light for me. I would like more banana creamyness. The feel is moderate to thick. Overall, a modest attempt at a hefeweizen. I just wish I could find an American made hefe that was above average.

kmpitz2, Jul 06, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -11.1%

Presented in a 12oz. brown bottle, this wheat beer from Upland Brewing poured a cloudy mahogany color with not much of a head and some light carbonation observed. The smell was mainly of bready malt with hints of banana and clove aromas.
The taste was rather bland. A yeasty malt flavor served as the base for some modest banana and clove essences but there was not the powerful tastes that can be found in some other weizens. The feel was light, thin and watery.
Overall, this beer did little to impress me. It’s not much better than average. While I like the fact that American brewers take the time to try and create beers in the German tradition, this offering falls well short of the mark.

Boilermaker88, Nov 07, 2003
3.08/5  rDev -10.2%

No head or lacing after 1 minute!? That's not good. Smell is ok - some spiciness and creamy banana is there, along with a little bit of crisp citrus. Taste is more citrusy than the average hefeweizen, but some of the spiciness definitely shows through. The mouthfeel is a bit watery for my liking though - it hardly has any body to speak of, which I feel is its worst characteristic. Pretty average.

PatYoda, Jul 20, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a thick golden color, with a small white head of tiny bubbles in the middle of the glass and larger on the edges. Good head retention. Aroma of wheat and clove, maybe some banana, but slightly off, like a juice concentrate would be in comparison to freshly squeezed.

Slightly crisp feeling gives way to spicy banana-clove taste, but with a syrupy finish. This syrupy-ness leads to a smoother mouthfeel that once again just feels, well, off.

While interesting to try, not something I would have a lot of. I'd be curious to try a tap version, though, to see if there is any improvement.

route66pubs, Apr 10, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

poured into a pint glass (I dont know why either) on site

A - two finger head of white foam, medium turbidity. a good dark colour, like a medium dark honey gold. head falls to flat very quickly, leaving a threadbare layer of foam. the colour is a bit too dark, only a little darker than my first batch of homebrew. nothing exceptional or really impressive, but nothing that detrimental.

S - minimal wheat aspect to the nose; the majority is a very faint banana, no cloves whatsoever. in all sincerity the nose is about 85% banana and the rest is a piddly sampling of wheat. this really doesnt smell like a weißbier.

T - the taste comes completely out of nowhere. the taste is this completely concentrated clove banana burst. completely unforeseen just by judging the nose. the initial taste is the super intsense clove-banana, with hop bitters in the middle. the finish is hoppy cloves, very herbal, with some light banana sweetness. the atertaste is slightly sweet banana, and wheaty malts. the taste experince is almost too intense; it really tastes concentrated. all the right flavours are there, just not in the right proportions.

MF&D - the carnonation is a bit much for the brew, which serves to thicken out the thin body. it is odd to notice, but though the brew is a completely medium body, despite the actual liquid is quite thin. not nearly as syrupy as others, but thicker than my homebrew (though not by much!)

erz316, Aug 13, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -5.8%

GCurlow sent me this one for Secret Santa 09. Thanks Grant!

A cloudy, pale yellow-range body with a decent sized white head that has ok retention and leaves a few scraps of lacing.

The aroma for me is pretty good; cloves and bannana. There is a good punch of citrus in there also. I definitely not smell any sour or "off" aromas in this one.

Upland Valley Weizen probably is not a hefeweizen. I would say it is an American Pale Wheat Ale, or at least a cross between the two styles. The part that reminds me of a hefeweizen is pretty good; the yeast brings banana, bubble gum, and some clove. The wheat adds a nice twang. However, those hefeweizen characteristics are erased by a blast of slightly bitter, citrus flavored, American hops. It took me a few sips to pick up just what was off about this beer, and that was it; American hops, a good amount of them. I feel like there is a good hefeweizen hiding somewhere in Upland Valley Weizen, because the yeast profile is pretty good. However, the hops just don't fit very well with the rest of the beer in my opinion.

The body is on the light side and the carbonation is moderate; the wheat doesn't add any of the creaminess I would want.

Overall pretty drinkable. Upland Valley Weizen isn't bad, but there is just something disjointed and unpleasant about the flavor.

Hojaminbag, Dec 28, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass. No clue how old this is other than a notching on the label to indicate May with 04-06 on the label but not notched.

Appears a orange-gold with a big two inch bubbly off-white head. I really like the color of this. Leaves lots and lots of lace.

Aroma is hinting at bananas and clove but some weird off-smell kind of ruins it for me. It's actually reminding me more of a witbier.

Taste is also kind of weak. Like most of Upland's beers it seems to have a watered down characteristic. It begins with a banana-like flavor with some breadiness and then get's a little citrusy. Has this weird sweet finish that I don't like. I wanna like it but it just doesn't do it for me.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, but it doesn't have that tingly carbonation like many of good German versions that make them so refreshing.

Well the best thing about this beer is the appearance, probably the least important characteristic. Well Upland you have that down but you really need to work on the taste. Although I will say, this one is better than their Wheat. I wouldn't want to drink more of this but if I had to I would. Thanks you for single bottles.

roadhouse, Sep 30, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

ubufan2112, Feb 16, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz bottle

A: Deep, hazy golden under a large white head. Some lace and nice retention. Nice looking beer.

S: Smells of a subtle clove and banana. Wheat there, a bit bread like as well. Kind of subdued for the style, but not bad.

T: Malty and a little fruity. Bitterness is low. Wheat is apparent, not as bread like as the aroma. A bit of banana and maybe the slightest hint of bubble gum. Again, a bit lacking for the style.

M/D: Light to medium bodied, carbonation is a bit too high. Drinkability is good. Despite being a little lacking in some areas, it's certainly a easy drinking beer.

NCSUdo, Dec 13, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Upland Indy tasting room

A - A hazy orange with hints of brown. Brought out with no head at all

S- Clove and a slight bubblegum dominate the nose along with hints of lemon peel

T - Light orange and lemon peel. Heavy clove with hints of bubblegum and banana mixed in. Light lemon peel in the finish that makes it nice and crisp

MF - Light carbonation with a nice full mouthfeel that lends a creaminess to it. Crisp finish

O - A good but not great weizen from Upland. Easy to drink with good flavors but nothing that makes me stand up and say wow

jeonseh, Jul 16, 2012

dsauter, Sep 15, 2013

mtrain237, Jun 30, 2012

MordorMongo, Jan 13, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured a cloudy orange/brown with a pale white head, looking like a good hefe should. The smell was rather subdued compared to other hefeweizens, mostly just wheat and not much else. The taste was fruity, with apple and banana (and of course plenty of wheat). Nothing spectacular, but a good drinkable beer and I would have had another if I wasn't driving.

shivtim, May 18, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +4.4%

From notes.

12 oz into Atlas Mason spaghetti sauce jar.

A: No head just a smidgen on the pour. No lacing to speak of, but a beautiful golden amber hue.

S: Pink bubble gum stick from childhood again, apricots, yeasty yeasty.

T: Tastes like ti smells with a sweet clovey-honey zip-a-dee-do-da.

M: Lost of carbonation on swish. Light to medium body.

D: I could have a few of these and be buttslappy.

baos, Jan 14, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +5%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a cloudy yellow-straw color with a decent head and a bit of lacing on the way down. Nose is some faint banana and even fainter clove along with some light grain. The taste is slightly yeasty with a bit of straw and grain. Light feel with good carbonation. Comes together in the end, drinking fairly well.

Thorpe429, Oct 24, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Looks like a hazy, lazy honey amber with hints of sunshine at the top when held to the light. Good, eggshell white head with a swampy little film left to wander around while drinking. Aroma of lightly tart cloves and apple blossoms make this an earthly tart smelling brew. This is indeed a very tart tasting wheat beer. The apples become more present in the front of the palate. Refreshing and crisp palate that makes this a great summer beer.

scruffwhor, Nov 27, 2006