Komodo Dragon Fly Black IPA - Upland Brewing Company

good

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Black Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 02-14-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

Surprisingly black, murky, with a light tan head. Deceivingly porter-esque. Smells like burnt hops, somewhere between big juicy pine and citrus mixed with dark toasted bread, and a hint of corn. Taste presents a lot of character like a porter, with dry toasty almost smoky malt juiced up with a huge dose of hops. A little bite in the hops of zest and pine cone, with a snowy flavor washing out with some dark grains that leave the hoppy bitterness suspended over something more bready. I've had some black IPAs, and this one is rather unique and somewhat odd, but I'm finding it increasingly attractive. There's something in there that mixes summer IPA refreshment with the smells and sensations of autumn and winter. Great balance and strength. Not my every day drinker, but one that I could easily find a taste for.

lightindarkness, Apr 26, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours black with some nice tan head that sticks around for a while and leaves a bit of spotty lacing. Looks really nice for a black IPA, much better than most--it looks basically like a stout. Smell is a somewhat reserved mix of roasted malts, with just a hint of citrusy hops. Flavor is largely stout-y though. This was bottled in January, but it just got to the store, so I was expecting it to retain some hoppy freshness. Not so. This is more of an Irish Dry Stout than anything. Nice chocolate, coffee, and roasted notes, a bit o leafy bitterness, but not much else. Just a slightly hoppier stout, if you ask me. MF is creamy and full, and drinkability is pretty good. I think this one suffers from it not being what it says it is. Definitely a good and enjoyable beer, just not what I was craving when I went for a black IPA.

LordAdmNelson, Apr 20, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Review from notes.

A- Pours a black color. Almost looks more like a stout than anything else. One finger tan head comes and goes leaving light soapy lacing streaks on the glass.

S- The roasted malts come through more so than anything else. There are light earthy hops in this too that battle it out for the rest of the aroma in the beer. A little more roasted than I like in a black IPA but still smells good.

T- The flavors in this jump back and forth between IPA and stout. The burnt roasted malts come through first just to be knocked out by a light earthy hop. The chocolate malt notes bump the hops down the rest of the beer until the end. Citrus hops in the finish of the beer. Very interesting for a flavor complex.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation was a tad high for me. Roasted malts left on the palate with some ligh hopping thrown in the aftertaste with the malts. Light drying from the alcohol.

D- This was a interesting beer. It couldn't decide what it wanted to be and to be honest I was ok with that. Looking forward to cracking another bottle open to see if this was a off bottle or if that was their intent.

alleykatking, Apr 03, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The pour is a dark brown, almost black, color with a very fluffy tan colored head and some nice sheets of lacing.

S: The primary aroma is roasted malt with some coffee notes and a noticeably acidity.

T: Like the nose, the roasted malt is the primary component along with coffee, an acidic note, and a bitter finish.

M: The body is medium with a lively and tingly carbonation.

D: Not sure if the high carbonation and acidity were due to infection, but this one just seemed a bit "off". For a black IPA, this wasn't all that hoppy.

womencantsail, Mar 25, 2010

Upland bottles can be hit or miss. Hopefully this is a hit.

Appearance is a deep black, opaque with an initially creamy light brown head that ends up looking soapy.

Pronounced hop aroma and quite piney at that.

The flavor really combines some of the great qualities of an IPA, with its spicy hop and latent bitterness. There is a good dose of a smoky,burnt malt which I have grown accustomed to in a black IPA.

Feel is crisp and balanced. Good.

I think this is refreshing and hearty like a black IPA should be.

cnally, Mar 25, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Pours black with a pinkys worth of tan head. Looks like a stout.

S- Chocolate, roasted malts and some hops.

T - Coffee, and hops with some alcohol in the end. More stout flavors than IPA flavors, I think it should be in a different category than American IPA. Interesting beer.

M - Not too watery for an IPA, maybe a bit thin for a stout, but it is an IPA?

D - I could probably only drink a couple of these on a sitting, but it's something I would buy again.

Lukafer, Mar 25, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

(a) Did I buy a stout or an IPA? Was very thrown off by this beer. Definetly not what I thought I was buying. Poors a thick stout-like black with 1 inch of dark foam, thick lacing. Some carbonation and settling occuring. (3.5/5)

(s)Intense, but not the hoppy IPA I was looking for. Chocolate, lavendar? Hint of coffee or espreso. (2.5/5)

(t)I understand this brew has its place...but for these taste buds. Im really having issues appreciating the dry hopped hops over this stout like character. (3/5)

(m) the bitterness of the hops near the end is the only thing i really appreciated about this beer. Thick and heavy on the pallete. Who knows. Maybe its just because the sun is out today but this is a beer to be enjoyed on a stout run in December. Very dull in some points. (2/5)

(d) If your a stout fan, bottoms up. If you get this in an IPA session, throw it at the end because I'm contemplating heading to the drain with this one...and I havent wasted a beer unless its skunked. (2/5)

I love you Upland, but I gotta leave this one out of my lineup

lbaker, Mar 05, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a tulip from a growler purchased at the Upland tasting room in Broadripple .

A- Interesting! If I didn't pour it from the growler myself, I would swear that this beer was a stout. A very dark brown/black body with a tan head. It does leave small amounts of sediment on the side of the glass when swirled around.
S- The sent is very roasty and coffee like with subtle hints of earthy hops. I sure am glad that the hop smell does come through the roasted malt scent. After all, I'm about to drink an IPA.
T- At first taste, my taste buds were very confused. The malty burnt chocolate hits your first. Then the hops jump in and make you remember you are drinking an IPA. Although the citrus hop flavor does come through in the end, the burnt chocolate flavor is dominant.
MF- This strange concoction is a little lighter in the mouth than it appears in the glass. The hops do give enough bitterness that leaves your mouth a little dry wanting more.
D- I am a little confused by this beer. It is easier to drink than a stout, but not as refreshing as a standard IPA. The alcohol is hidden by all of the burnt earthy flavors. I will continue drinking this beer, but don't know how many I would want in a row.

I do enjoy the creativity, but it is lacking a little something. I wish there would have been more of a hop flavor to this beer. I am a huge fan of Upland and wish they would have been around when I was a student down in Bloomington. I think I was just expecting something different with this one. Overall a great beer, just not what I was expecting. I know I will drink this beer again in the future, but is not something that I will go out of my way just to have.

iuhophead87, Feb 27, 2010
3.68/5  rDev 0%

Bottle thanks to heliosphann.

Pours black with a dense dark tan head. This is the darkest Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale I have seen thus far.

Scent of rich sugars, roasted malts, a hint of coffee, some sweet bitter hops and a touch of alcohol on the end. Good, but the strength of the roast is too overpowering.

Taste of dry roasted malts, a hint of caramel, tobacco, burnt sugar, and bitter, citrusy hops. Here again the roasted flavor takes charge and is not fully balanced with the hops.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, oily and viscous with a medium bite of carbonation.

paco1029384756, Feb 22, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to Heliosphann for this 12 oz bottle. I'm surprised that I'm the first to review it.

A: The Black IPA looks more like an American stout, pitch black even when held to light. A thick, craggy head with a tan color is slow to recede. As it does, it leaves thick glacier-like patches behind. That's a foamy ale.

S: The nose, also like a stout, has a heavily roasted presence. The surprise though is the citrusy freshness (it's easy to forget this is an IPA when you look at it) of the hops. They are leafy and vibrant, in ample quantities.

T: The Black IPA is an exotic concoction, much like a Belgian IPA. It has the fresh zest of hops with the roasted stout malts, tricking the tastebuds with each sip. This beer fits nicely into that definition, offering alternating takes on hops and malts. The malts are roasted, burnt and chocolatey. The hops, rising up like a phoenix through the malts, are citrusy with a strong consistency. The intersections of the malts and hops are most flavorful, with both fighting for attention. The roasted malts are the dominant aspect of the finish, leaving a scorched presence.

M: The mouthfeel runs all over the place, starting out with a dark, heavily roasted presence before turning resiny with thick hops.

D: A hoppy stout or a roasted IPA, either way you look at it, it goes down smoothly. Thanks, Scott, for this one. I'm fast becoming a fan of Upland.

akorsak, Feb 14, 2010