Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orangish yellow. Delicate nose with zero head.

Grapefruit tart. Almost like drinking the grapefruit juice at the bottom of the half of a grapefruit. Delicious and easy to sip on. Dry with an obvious tart finish on the back sides of the tongue.

Lovely (267 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Really excited to try this one last night. However, it did not live up to Upland's hype.

The bottle we got was infected, at least in terms of aroma. HUGE amounts of nail polish wiped away any others characteristics that might have come through.

Flavor, however, wasn't as bad. No nail polish, but not that fruity. I don't know what a persimmon tastes like, but either way I didn't get much. Just a grainy, sour bomb.

This is the 3rd Upland sour I have had and while I applaud an American brewery trying to make Lambics, they have missed the mark in my opinion and the product doesn't warrant the hype. (606 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

The beer comes in a bright yellow orange with a good amount of particulate.

The beer offers a medium plus to full lemony tart quality, tart plum and apricot. At the mid-palate and on, there's a wonderful touch of fruit and persimmon character.

Despite the heavy tart quality, the fruit character makes this the best Upland I've had to date. (342 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A-Cloudy pale yellow, well carbonated, one finger head.

S-Woah. Persimmons, lots of citrus notes. Nice funk as well and moderate oak.

T-Woah again. Great funk, amazing citrus and persimmon notes. Oak is there as well. Amazing balance.

M-Lighter, some carbonation, a crisp and dry finish.

O-Easily of of the best fruited lambics Upland makes. (345 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to rudzud for sharing.

Very little fizzy head, sounds like a soda bubbling, lots of yeast chunks, cloudy yellow banana Berliner Weiss color.

Nose is tons of sour, tons of lactic acid, light lemony like fruit and fruit rind, tartness and just pure lactic acid heartburn.

Taste holy Shit sour, redefines sour, so much sour and lactic acid, makes my glands hurt and eyes water, so sour my balls hurt, lactic crazy, sticky little flemmy, big lemony tart with little funk. Finish is dry bready but tons of burning acid, sour funk, tart lemon rind, and pure fuck your esophagus. Also late brings an awesome lemon mouth watering tartness.

Mouth burns the Shit out of everything, but still drinkable and tasty, nice carb small bubbles. 425

Overall very interesting, almost undrinkable as its so sour, but still delicious, walks the fine like of awesomeness. (864 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Shared with JLindros.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice hazy light straw hue with some thin head that faded to leave light wisps and halo.

S - Aromas of big sour acid, lactic, faint faint fruit, light sour tart.

T - Taste is lemon, persimmons, absurdly sour. Seriously, this is just unnecessarily sour. Huge lactic acid, burns the throat it's so sour. More sour than sucking on a lemon! Tasty for sure but yeah...in your face sour. Super tart, assertive, lemon rind. Complete overkill, but in a good way.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, crisp, clean, WHAM sour.

O - Overall this beer was way more sour then I thought it would be. Aromatic, tasty, very impressive that it could be so sour yet still drinkable. (729 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -23.4%

2012 bottling shared with the wife, sister-in-law and father--in-law...750ml.

Where to begin? The allure of well crafted persimmon lambic had me intrigued from the get-go. While a nice sweet and somewhat restrained fruit, my hope was that it could be a showcase fruit around a nice soft and rounded sour beer. Sound and rounded have no further place in this review.

This is the beer that the marketers of Zantac envision their users overdosing after: an overpowering, no-holds-barred acidic beer that takes the persimmon and strangles the ever loving piss out of it. Tomato paste consistency, little to no carb, and heavy on the palate.

While I though I erred on the side of enjoying highly sour fruited beers, this beer just put that to the test. All sour, muddled fruit, no finesse....a rough go and a downer. (814 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 03/2011.

Appearance: Upland Persimmon pours a semi hazy straw color with about 1" of white head. A moderate level of carbonation lends to decent head retention and lacing. Nice looking lambic, by far the best out of three lambic variants sampled.

Smell: Smells a musty and tart kind of citrus, with lacto tartness and sour lemons. The persimmons really make themselves known on the nose.

Taste: Lacto sourness and tart lemons up front, followed persimmon sweetness and tartness. Like the nose, the citrus character has a musty note to it. Very unique.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Very good feel. Overall, a very unique kind of lambic. I have never personally tried a persimmon, so I can't really compare, but in this case they seemed to add a lot to the beer. Probably the class of the three variants that were opened. Definitely a recommend. (885 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to Will for crossing off another huge want on my list. This one immediately gushed with the pop of the cork, but luckily too much beer wasn't lost before we were able to pour it into our glasses. It's a light orange-y, pale straw, pear-ish kind of color that's completely and utterly opaque. The white head is volatile, fizzy, and loud, and is literally wiped from existence within seconds of the pour.

Wow, the aroma is quite unlike anything I've smelled before. Eccentrically citrusy, with reminders of orange and lemon, but there's a nebulous fruitiness that I have yet to encounter - must be the persimmons. I haven't had a persimmon before, but smelling this beer really makes me want to go out and find one. Because if they smell like this, they must be good.

I love the pureness of the aroma; it smells like you're walking through a ripe patch of fruit. Highly authentic, and I don't even know what persimmon smells like. Ripe fruit skins, mild sweetness, a hint of tart acidity, and a faint underbrushing of grass that really ties everything together. At this point, I'm not getting much (if any) funk or Brett, but the fruit aspect is enough to blow me away.

The taste is miles ahead of the aroma in terms of perceivable sourness, but it still remains decadent and easy to swallow without puckering your ass or burning a hole in your stomach lining too much. It's incredibly fruity, again with that somewhat uncharted flavor that I can only assume must be from the persimmon. Digging deeper reveals some orange and pear, too.

Once the tartness calms a bit and the raw fruitiness begins to wind down, the oak becomes noticeable with just a light hint of Bretty funk and a touch sweetness in the undercurrent. This creates a nice, dry, and savory finish that gives the perfect closure to a fantastically fruity, juicy, tart, and lightly sweet beer, much unlike the series finale of The Sopranos. Effervescent on the palate, thin bodied and crisp, carbonated pretty heavily.

This was the first time my body has ingested any form of persimmon or even persimmon flavor, and it was quite delicious. I can't help but feel that I'll be let down once I get my hands on the actual fruit itself. Persimmon Lambic is so delightfully pure and raw by nature, though, and sour fanatics will have no trouble enjoying this beer. Makes me want the rest of the Upland Lambic series now. (2,393 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 3/15/11. Sampled alongside the other seven fruit lambics.

A: Pours a lightly hazy lemon color with a short lived fizzy bright white head.
S: This just reeks of persimmon…and Japanese food? I’m getting something that reminds me of seaweed, but you know what, this smells awesome. Faint citrus as well.
T: Persimmon all the way with hints of citrus. Tartness and biting acid are right there as well. Very unique flavors.
M: Frothy carbonation, medium body, very bubby slick mouthfeel.
O: One of the best of the seven and just a uniquely flavored beer all-around. Worth checking out. (597 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 3/15/2011, batch 71-09.

Appearance - It's a gusher. Big white head on a hazy yellow orange body. Thin collar after it settles and only a couple small islands of bubbles.

Smell - Lots of citrus. Never had a persimmon, so I can't compare it. Musty and a touch acidic.

Taste - Very sour. Fruity, less citrusy than the nose, but a definite orange-like taste. A little grainy. Finishes with some acetic sourness.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Makes it seem effervescent. Drinkably light.

Overall - Not really lambicky, but a nice American sour. Much better than the Kiwi I had a couple weeks ago. (642 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My bottle, shared at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013.

Pours a super light clear golden yellow, nice white head at first but it fades pretty quickly.

Smell is lots of funk, lemon, orange or peach maybe, a touch of sweetness.

Taste is very tart and acidic up front but becomes fairly sweet too, there's a fruitiness I can't really identify--lemon drops maybe? Hints of banana and peach and orange. Lots of acidity.

Very fizzy, nice mouthfeel, pretty refreshing despite the sour, very drinkable.

8.5/10 (500 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled: 3/15/11 Batch: 71-04

Appearance: Pours a cloudy goldenstraw, with a soda-like head that fizzes away rather quickly, leaving some legs but not much lace

Smell: Here in NC, persimmons are a seasonal fruit and persimmon pudding is delicious local specialty; in this brew, the persimmon aroma is unmistakable; though as this beer is a Lambic, there is also a tart, sour apple character

Taste: As expected, the tartness hits the tongue right away, with the persimmon flavors arriving in the middle and becoming more pronounced, after the swallow; somewhat puckery in the finish but well-attenuated and dry

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and rather fizzy

Overall: A very nicely balanced Lambic that shows off both the flinty tartness as well as the underlying fruit

Wish I could remember who to thank for this treat but the trade took place some time ago (866 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Vintage 2011, shared by Jason during the Super Bowl. Served in a snifter.

A: Moderately hazy pale yellow/orange colored body with a quickly diminishing head. No lacing or retention of any kind.

S: Tart and sweet fruits (I've never had a persimmon before but I'll assume that's what fruit I'm picking up here). Funk, grains and perhaps some melon notes.

T: Initially a lot of tartness up front with some funk character. The fruit is here mid-palate, it's strange. Not bad but certainly nothing outstanding. Melon-like qualities are here again. Finish is quite dry and cuts off quickly.

M: A bit too carbonated. Very bubbly and sudsy on the palate, even for the style it could be toned back just a bit. Crisp and clean though.

This was decent. Personally I think this is rated a bit higher than it needs to be. An interesting fruited "lambic" for sure, but nothing I'd need to revisit. (888 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottle (2010)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MeisterSmudge!

Light in color than I anticipated, but maybe only because I'm comparing it to the "persimmon colored" label on the outside of the bottle. Clear light golden with a small ring of near-white bubbles atop. Leaves the glass nearly clean, though it does leaves an oily sheen down the glass.

An interesting aroma, and nothing like I've had in the past. Persimmon character, bright and expressive, along with some lemon, and a somewhat strange paint thinner aroma, unfortunately, most likely from the yeast.

The flavor is better than the aroma, as the paint thinner flavor (no, I've ever drank paint thinner) is fairly well hidden, big sour character, persimmon, lemon, and some mild, though in this case, complementary Band-Aid flavor. Very drinkable, even with the strange flavors noted.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

I've had this beer a number of times now, and I think it was best nearly a year ago. Drink up now if you have it! It's most certainly not getting any better, though will probably always be a very tasty, flavorful, very sour beer. (1,112 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of claaark13. Thanks, Sean!

From notes.

A: Pours a hazy straw-colored body with a finger of off-white head. A little lace.

S: Clean lactic sourness in the nose with muscat grapes, lemon zest, persimmon flesh.

T: The taste isn't as fruity as I was hoping; I still find muscat grapes and persimmon flesh, which are well supported by lactic sourness. There is a slight vinegar burn in the finish, but it has a clean flavor otherwise. The main drawback is the lack of powerful fruit expression. No funk and barely any oak, but there is mild vanilla.

M: Light-bodied with crisp, snappy carbonation. A relatively clean finish aside from the vinegar burn.

O: Solid, but I would like to see the fruit character enhanced. (761 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

reviewed from notes taken on 5/18/12.

750 cork and cage bottle split 3 ways. Poured into snifter.

Appearance: A glowing and brilliant hazy yellow colored beer it almost has a similiar look to lemonade. Short lived white head that drops to a ring around the glass.

Smell: Lemons and a melon type note. Lite tartness and funk. Little bit more fruit forward sours according to the nose.

Taste: First of all never heard of a Persimmon until upland made a lambic with this fruit so I really don;t know what a persimmon tastes like. I get melons, lemons, peaches, and oranges. The beer tastes moderately sour with a hint of oak, wheat funkiness.

Mouthfeel: lite bodied beer with moderate carbonation. The beer is eppervescent, tart, acidic, refreshing, crisp, clean, and fresh.

Overall: I have tried all the Upland fruit lambics except the strawberry. I have enjoy most of them and this one is no exception. Another solid sour beer from Upland! (945 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to kkipple for sharing this at a dirty south tasting!

Appearance: Straw apricot honey yellow; very murky (2011 batch was a big-time gusher)

Smell: An interestingly sour beer; I assume from the persimmon, also some notes of apricot, peach, and oak

Taste: Nice sour, funky earthy fruitiness. I need to try a real persimmon, not sure that I ever had; after that I get some peach, apricot and oak.

Mouthfeel: nice medium to full body with appropriate medium level of carbonation

Drinkability: Interesting but needs a bit more fruit, I've now tried a few batches of this one. (582 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottled 3/15/2011.

Cork started shimmying its way out of the bottle as soon as the cage was removed. Stations everybody -- we've got a gusher! Still ended up with a couple nice-looking pours despite the carbonation issue. Murky yellow/manilla color, handsome white head.

Fresh, juicy persimmon dominates the aroma. Smells like I just squeezed a fresh fruit in my hands. Love it!

Taste follows the nose with loads of fresh fruit and a sharp, crisp tartness. Slightly pulpy; finishes clean and dry. Carbonation is still overly abundant even after giving my glass a timeout.

A great American sour, though the last bottle of this I had was certainly better (previous batch maybe?). Seek this one out -- it's worth it! (717 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle to oversized snifter. Looks good; light and inviting. Smells nice; this was my first encounter with the fruit persimmon, but it smells great, especially alongside the tartness of the lambic. Tastes solid; light and tart with a pleasant fruit unlike anything I've ever come across. Mouthfeel is good too. Overall, a very tasty brew that I'll definitely seek out again! (374 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%

Pour a light yellow with some hints of orange, with a big, white, fluffy, soapy, sturdy head that slowly recedes leaving some spotty lacing. Lots of carbonation here, probably too much.

Aromas begin with a POW of citrusy tartness along with tangerine, unripe peach, oak and some lactic sourness come through as well. I have no idea what a persimmon smells like but this is awesome and in your face and tart. As it warms I get some faint hints of earth as well.

The tastes follow the nose but not as "juicy" if that makes sense. Flavors include light wheat malt, tangerine, unripe white peaches, citrus zest and some hints of oak. More tart than sour, per say and not as intense as the nose would have let on. Very nice flavor though.

The mouthfeel was medium to thin bodied with high levels of carbonation. Wish the carbonation was toned down, it would have allowed the flavors to come through more in my opinion. A few too many bubbles scrubbing the palate.

Overall this was a nice surprise and a beer that I wish I could get my hands on more regularly. The aromas were out of this world but taste and mouthfeel left me a tad disappointed, considering what it costs to acquire a bottle of this. Hopefully if they make this again it the carbonation will be more balanced out so I can really enjoy the complex flavors here. (1,326 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 3-15?-11 (handwriting on bottle makes this unsure). Batch 71-09

Early pours are near crystal-clear lemmony yellow, hazier after that. Fizzy head bubbles up aggressively, but very little retention. Even with the head gone, the etched bottom of my glass yields a continual fizzing stream of bubbles that's audible from a considerable distance.

Smell is a great indicator of what's to come. Soft sour, great tart fruit, a little funky fresh-mown hay field. Notes of sweetness and fruity candy. I like it already.

I don't know what I expected, but the taste is pretty incredible, but different. Bright sour up front with a nice rolling persimmon behind it - never too dense or too strongly any one dimension. The persimmon is a wonderful soft, but full flavor while staying bright and crisp in the beer. Round sweetness of fleshy peach with Lemmon zest, fresh grass, and a tart ripeness filling to the end, followed by a clean full finish and faint fresh-grains flavor. Excellent. Only minor drawbacks are it could be more sour, and sweetness (overall rather pleasant) leaves a very faint soapy-clean aftertaste.

Carbonation is excellently balanced and nicely full, adding a brightness to the beer and interest on the tongue. Feel is medium to light bodied, thickening in the finish and clean after, a little left on the palate.

This beer really surprised me. The persimmon is an exciting new addition, and, I was pleasantly surprised and the great balance and overall character. I was a little wary of the carbonation, but was very satisfied with it's place fitting in nicely to the overall profile. Not as 'funky' as some, less emphasis on horselblanket and more on tart sour fruit and balance. I suppose that's the only thing I was left wanting more of, and yet, what's in the bottle is pretty incredible. Glad I opened it now; would have been great to hang on to for a year longer; wish I had another bottle. (1,922 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We opened this one up at the tasting this past weekend. Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow with a finger of bubbly, white head. The head goes away completely. I once saw one of these gush everywhere, so I was really happy that my bottle didn't have that problem at all.

Smell: Very sour and mildly funky. Smells like fresh orange and tangerine peel with some lemony tartness.

Taste: This beer has a really tart citrus sourness to it. The orange peel is there, and it makes the beer really light and extremely refreshing. Really digging this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with really fizzy carbonation. The bubbles are large. The finish is dry.

Overall: This beer is just awesome. I don't know what a Persimmon tastes like, but I enjoyed this. So light and refreshing, I would love to get some more. (825 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a tulip. 03-15-2011/71-09 Batch. Thanks to Matt for sharing!

(A)- Pours a very cloudy pale yellow color. A good cap of white froth.

(S)- Very vibrant fresh fruit smell. I do not know much about Persimmons, but this has loads of kiwi, peach, apricot, and lemon with just a kiss of dry oak.

(T)- Wow, again, a huge vibrant fruit profile. Bits of oak, but this is primarily and sour fruit bomb.

(M)- A rather large carbonation level. A great fruit profile to it, but a touch high on the carbonation level.

(D)- Despite the high carbonation level, the fruit profile in this is quite fresh and refreshing/vibrant. Not a ton of funk or oak characters, but the sour fruit is full force. Looking forward to seeing how this develops over time. (781 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%

A: This poured a cloudy light straw color with quickly dissipating white head.
S: It smelled like tons of tart persimmon and funky oak, with some pear and apricot and citrus zest.
T: It tasted like super tart persimmon and unripe apricot and oak, with some sweet pear and bitter citrus zest. It had a clean and very tart aftertaste with a little sweetness.
M: It was thin with tons of bubbly carbonation, like champagne.
D: This was a fantastic lambic with a unique scent and taste that were super clean and delicious. It was complex yet simplistic, with a fitting body and well hidden alcohol. So it was easy to drink, but amazing to sip and contemplate. Could probably age a long time. Lovely beer and highly recommended. (723 characters)

Persimmon Lambic from Upland Brewing Company