2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Persimmon LambicPersimmon Lambic

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 187 | Reviews: 66 | Show All Ratings:
tectactoe

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to Will for crossing off another huge want on my list. This one immediately gushed with the pop of the cork, but luckily too much beer wasn't lost before we were able to pour it into our glasses. It's a light orange-y, pale straw, pear-ish kind of color that's completely and utterly opaque. The white head is volatile, fizzy, and loud, and is literally wiped from existence within seconds of the pour.

Wow, the aroma is quite unlike anything I've smelled before. Eccentrically citrusy, with reminders of orange and lemon, but there's a nebulous fruitiness that I have yet to encounter - must be the persimmons. I haven't had a persimmon before, but smelling this beer really makes me want to go out and find one. Because if they smell like this, they must be good.

I love the pureness of the aroma; it smells like you're walking through a ripe patch of fruit. Highly authentic, and I don't even know what persimmon smells like. Ripe fruit skins, mild sweetness, a hint of tart acidity, and a faint underbrushing of grass that really ties everything together. At this point, I'm not getting much (if any) funk or Brett, but the fruit aspect is enough to blow me away.

The taste is miles ahead of the aroma in terms of perceivable sourness, but it still remains decadent and easy to swallow without puckering your ass or burning a hole in your stomach lining too much. It's incredibly fruity, again with that somewhat uncharted flavor that I can only assume must be from the persimmon. Digging deeper reveals some orange and pear, too.

Once the tartness calms a bit and the raw fruitiness begins to wind down, the oak becomes noticeable with just a light hint of Bretty funk and a touch sweetness in the undercurrent. This creates a nice, dry, and savory finish that gives the perfect closure to a fantastically fruity, juicy, tart, and lightly sweet beer, much unlike the series finale of The Sopranos. Effervescent on the palate, thin bodied and crisp, carbonated pretty heavily.

This was the first time my body has ingested any form of persimmon or even persimmon flavor, and it was quite delicious. I can't help but feel that I'll be let down once I get my hands on the actual fruit itself. Persimmon Lambic is so delightfully pure and raw by nature, though, and sour fanatics will have no trouble enjoying this beer. Makes me want the rest of the Upland Lambic series now.

07-30-2013 16:46:18 | More by tectactoe
scottfrie

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 3/15/11. Sampled alongside the other seven fruit lambics.

A: Pours a lightly hazy lemon color with a short lived fizzy bright white head.
S: This just reeks of persimmon…and Japanese food? I’m getting something that reminds me of seaweed, but you know what, this smells awesome. Faint citrus as well.
T: Persimmon all the way with hints of citrus. Tartness and biting acid are right there as well. Very unique flavors.
M: Frothy carbonation, medium body, very bubby slick mouthfeel.
O: One of the best of the seven and just a uniquely flavored beer all-around. Worth checking out.

06-20-2013 02:10:46 | More by scottfrie
Alieniloquium

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 3/15/2011, batch 71-09.

Appearance - It's a gusher. Big white head on a hazy yellow orange body. Thin collar after it settles and only a couple small islands of bubbles.

Smell - Lots of citrus. Never had a persimmon, so I can't compare it. Musty and a touch acidic.

Taste - Very sour. Fruity, less citrusy than the nose, but a definite orange-like taste. A little grainy. Finishes with some acetic sourness.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Makes it seem effervescent. Drinkably light.

Overall - Not really lambicky, but a nice American sour. Much better than the Kiwi I had a couple weeks ago.

04-02-2013 00:52:29 | More by Alieniloquium
AlexFields

Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My bottle, shared at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013.

Pours a super light clear golden yellow, nice white head at first but it fades pretty quickly.

Smell is lots of funk, lemon, orange or peach maybe, a touch of sweetness.

Taste is very tart and acidic up front but becomes fairly sweet too, there's a fruitiness I can't really identify--lemon drops maybe? Hints of banana and peach and orange. Lots of acidity.

Very fizzy, nice mouthfeel, pretty refreshing despite the sour, very drinkable.

8.5/10

03-18-2013 16:43:57 | More by AlexFields
brentk56

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled: 3/15/11 Batch: 71-04

Appearance: Pours a cloudy goldenstraw, with a soda-like head that fizzes away rather quickly, leaving some legs but not much lace

Smell: Here in NC, persimmons are a seasonal fruit and persimmon pudding is delicious local specialty; in this brew, the persimmon aroma is unmistakable; though as this beer is a Lambic, there is also a tart, sour apple character

Taste: As expected, the tartness hits the tongue right away, with the persimmon flavors arriving in the middle and becoming more pronounced, after the swallow; somewhat puckery in the finish but well-attenuated and dry

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and rather fizzy

Overall: A very nicely balanced Lambic that shows off both the flinty tartness as well as the underlying fruit

Wish I could remember who to thank for this treat but the trade took place some time ago

02-24-2013 18:45:49 | More by brentk56
ShanePB

3.41/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Vintage 2011, shared by Jason during the Super Bowl. Served in a snifter.

A: Moderately hazy pale yellow/orange colored body with a quickly diminishing head. No lacing or retention of any kind.

S: Tart and sweet fruits (I've never had a persimmon before but I'll assume that's what fruit I'm picking up here). Funk, grains and perhaps some melon notes.

T: Initially a lot of tartness up front with some funk character. The fruit is here mid-palate, it's strange. Not bad but certainly nothing outstanding. Melon-like qualities are here again. Finish is quite dry and cuts off quickly.

M: A bit too carbonated. Very bubbly and sudsy on the palate, even for the style it could be toned back just a bit. Crisp and clean though.

This was decent. Personally I think this is rated a bit higher than it needs to be. An interesting fruited "lambic" for sure, but nothing I'd need to revisit.

02-04-2013 16:03:07 | More by ShanePB
ehammond1

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle (2010)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MeisterSmudge!

Light in color than I anticipated, but maybe only because I'm comparing it to the "persimmon colored" label on the outside of the bottle. Clear light golden with a small ring of near-white bubbles atop. Leaves the glass nearly clean, though it does leaves an oily sheen down the glass.

An interesting aroma, and nothing like I've had in the past. Persimmon character, bright and expressive, along with some lemon, and a somewhat strange paint thinner aroma, unfortunately, most likely from the yeast.

The flavor is better than the aroma, as the paint thinner flavor (no, I've ever drank paint thinner) is fairly well hidden, big sour character, persimmon, lemon, and some mild, though in this case, complementary Band-Aid flavor. Very drinkable, even with the strange flavors noted.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

I've had this beer a number of times now, and I think it was best nearly a year ago. Drink up now if you have it! It's most certainly not getting any better, though will probably always be a very tasty, flavorful, very sour beer.

01-20-2013 06:45:08 | More by ehammond1
Arbitrator

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of claaark13. Thanks, Sean!

From notes.

A: Pours a hazy straw-colored body with a finger of off-white head. A little lace.

S: Clean lactic sourness in the nose with muscat grapes, lemon zest, persimmon flesh.

T: The taste isn't as fruity as I was hoping; I still find muscat grapes and persimmon flesh, which are well supported by lactic sourness. There is a slight vinegar burn in the finish, but it has a clean flavor otherwise. The main drawback is the lack of powerful fruit expression. No funk and barely any oak, but there is mild vanilla.

M: Light-bodied with crisp, snappy carbonation. A relatively clean finish aside from the vinegar burn.

O: Solid, but I would like to see the fruit character enhanced.

10-19-2012 20:25:48 | More by Arbitrator
4DAloveofSTOUT

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

reviewed from notes taken on 5/18/12.

750 cork and cage bottle split 3 ways. Poured into snifter.

Appearance: A glowing and brilliant hazy yellow colored beer it almost has a similiar look to lemonade. Short lived white head that drops to a ring around the glass.

Smell: Lemons and a melon type note. Lite tartness and funk. Little bit more fruit forward sours according to the nose.

Taste: First of all never heard of a Persimmon until upland made a lambic with this fruit so I really don;t know what a persimmon tastes like. I get melons, lemons, peaches, and oranges. The beer tastes moderately sour with a hint of oak, wheat funkiness.

Mouthfeel: lite bodied beer with moderate carbonation. The beer is eppervescent, tart, acidic, refreshing, crisp, clean, and fresh.

Overall: I have tried all the Upland fruit lambics except the strawberry. I have enjoy most of them and this one is no exception. Another solid sour beer from Upland!

05-22-2012 02:16:36 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to kkipple for sharing this at a dirty south tasting!

Appearance: Straw apricot honey yellow; very murky (2011 batch was a big-time gusher)

Smell: An interestingly sour beer; I assume from the persimmon, also some notes of apricot, peach, and oak

Taste: Nice sour, funky earthy fruitiness. I need to try a real persimmon, not sure that I ever had; after that I get some peach, apricot and oak.

Mouthfeel: nice medium to full body with appropriate medium level of carbonation

Drinkability: Interesting but needs a bit more fruit, I've now tried a few batches of this one.

05-21-2012 20:24:39 | More by craytonic
brystmar

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled 3/15/2011.

Cork started shimmying its way out of the bottle as soon as the cage was removed. Stations everybody -- we've got a gusher! Still ended up with a couple nice-looking pours despite the carbonation issue. Murky yellow/manilla color, handsome white head.

Fresh, juicy persimmon dominates the aroma. Smells like I just squeezed a fresh fruit in my hands. Love it!

Taste follows the nose with loads of fresh fruit and a sharp, crisp tartness. Slightly pulpy; finishes clean and dry. Carbonation is still overly abundant even after giving my glass a timeout.

A great American sour, though the last bottle of this I had was certainly better (previous batch maybe?). Seek this one out -- it's worth it!

03-31-2012 03:27:34 | More by brystmar
b3shine

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle to oversized snifter. Looks good; light and inviting. Smells nice; this was my first encounter with the fruit persimmon, but it smells great, especially alongside the tartness of the lambic. Tastes solid; light and tart with a pleasant fruit unlike anything I've ever come across. Mouthfeel is good too. Overall, a very tasty brew that I'll definitely seek out again!

03-31-2012 02:32:38 | More by b3shine
claspada

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Pour a light yellow with some hints of orange, with a big, white, fluffy, soapy, sturdy head that slowly recedes leaving some spotty lacing. Lots of carbonation here, probably too much.

Aromas begin with a POW of citrusy tartness along with tangerine, unripe peach, oak and some lactic sourness come through as well. I have no idea what a persimmon smells like but this is awesome and in your face and tart. As it warms I get some faint hints of earth as well.

The tastes follow the nose but not as "juicy" if that makes sense. Flavors include light wheat malt, tangerine, unripe white peaches, citrus zest and some hints of oak. More tart than sour, per say and not as intense as the nose would have let on. Very nice flavor though.

The mouthfeel was medium to thin bodied with high levels of carbonation. Wish the carbonation was toned down, it would have allowed the flavors to come through more in my opinion. A few too many bubbles scrubbing the palate.

Overall this was a nice surprise and a beer that I wish I could get my hands on more regularly. The aromas were out of this world but taste and mouthfeel left me a tad disappointed, considering what it costs to acquire a bottle of this. Hopefully if they make this again it the carbonation will be more balanced out so I can really enjoy the complex flavors here.

02-21-2012 18:11:49 | More by claspada
lightindarkness

4.43/5  rDev +4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 3-15?-11 (handwriting on bottle makes this unsure). Batch 71-09

Early pours are near crystal-clear lemmony yellow, hazier after that. Fizzy head bubbles up aggressively, but very little retention. Even with the head gone, the etched bottom of my glass yields a continual fizzing stream of bubbles that's audible from a considerable distance.

Smell is a great indicator of what's to come. Soft sour, great tart fruit, a little funky fresh-mown hay field. Notes of sweetness and fruity candy. I like it already.

I don't know what I expected, but the taste is pretty incredible, but different. Bright sour up front with a nice rolling persimmon behind it - never too dense or too strongly any one dimension. The persimmon is a wonderful soft, but full flavor while staying bright and crisp in the beer. Round sweetness of fleshy peach with Lemmon zest, fresh grass, and a tart ripeness filling to the end, followed by a clean full finish and faint fresh-grains flavor. Excellent. Only minor drawbacks are it could be more sour, and sweetness (overall rather pleasant) leaves a very faint soapy-clean aftertaste.

Carbonation is excellently balanced and nicely full, adding a brightness to the beer and interest on the tongue. Feel is medium to light bodied, thickening in the finish and clean after, a little left on the palate.

This beer really surprised me. The persimmon is an exciting new addition, and, I was pleasantly surprised and the great balance and overall character. I was a little wary of the carbonation, but was very satisfied with it's place fitting in nicely to the overall profile. Not as 'funky' as some, less emphasis on horselblanket and more on tart sour fruit and balance. I suppose that's the only thing I was left wanting more of, and yet, what's in the bottle is pretty incredible. Glad I opened it now; would have been great to hang on to for a year longer; wish I had another bottle.

01-16-2012 20:32:31 | More by lightindarkness
oline73

Maryland

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We opened this one up at the tasting this past weekend. Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow with a finger of bubbly, white head. The head goes away completely. I once saw one of these gush everywhere, so I was really happy that my bottle didn't have that problem at all.

Smell: Very sour and mildly funky. Smells like fresh orange and tangerine peel with some lemony tartness.

Taste: This beer has a really tart citrus sourness to it. The orange peel is there, and it makes the beer really light and extremely refreshing. Really digging this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with really fizzy carbonation. The bubbles are large. The finish is dry.

Overall: This beer is just awesome. I don't know what a Persimmon tastes like, but I enjoyed this. So light and refreshing, I would love to get some more.

01-16-2012 03:24:23 | More by oline73
sweemzander

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a tulip. 03-15-2011/71-09 Batch. Thanks to Matt for sharing!

(A)- Pours a very cloudy pale yellow color. A good cap of white froth.

(S)- Very vibrant fresh fruit smell. I do not know much about Persimmons, but this has loads of kiwi, peach, apricot, and lemon with just a kiss of dry oak.

(T)- Wow, again, a huge vibrant fruit profile. Bits of oak, but this is primarily and sour fruit bomb.

(M)- A rather large carbonation level. A great fruit profile to it, but a touch high on the carbonation level.

(D)- Despite the high carbonation level, the fruit profile in this is quite fresh and refreshing/vibrant. Not a ton of funk or oak characters, but the sour fruit is full force. Looking forward to seeing how this develops over time.

01-15-2012 17:16:06 | More by sweemzander
Pencible

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A: This poured a cloudy light straw color with quickly dissipating white head.
S: It smelled like tons of tart persimmon and funky oak, with some pear and apricot and citrus zest.
T: It tasted like super tart persimmon and unripe apricot and oak, with some sweet pear and bitter citrus zest. It had a clean and very tart aftertaste with a little sweetness.
M: It was thin with tons of bubbly carbonation, like champagne.
D: This was a fantastic lambic with a unique scent and taste that were super clean and delicious. It was complex yet simplistic, with a fitting body and well hidden alcohol. So it was easy to drink, but amazing to sip and contemplate. Could probably age a long time. Lovely beer and highly recommended.

01-02-2012 19:26:31 | More by Pencible
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for giving me this one during our MASSIVE in-person trade when he came down to visit! Thanks Al! Slight gusher! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart, sour, subtle funk, passion fruit, persimmon, and slight sour apple. The flavor was of sweet malt, persimmon, tropical fruit, tart, sour, and a very slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a solid brew. I really have to say, that I quite enjoyed this one. I have had a lot of these in the series and this one is definitely up there as far as one of my favorites. The persimmon is definitely the star of the show on this one and keeps reminding you of this fact throughout every sip. A really well done brew that should be tried by anyone who likes the style or persimmon. You won't be disappointed.

12-11-2011 01:30:17 | More by thagr81us
cpetrone84

Pours a very light yellow hazy liquid, violent inside with a creamy white head. The nose is sweeter than the peach with some mineral notes up front. Lots of fruity aromas, peaches, mango, light touch of sour in the nose. There is a tang on the fruits which I am told is the persimmon (never had one). The taste is balanced and subtl, lightly sweet, hints of tang with a faint mineral brett note. There is some spice in the back and a nice level of sourness, not overpowering but adds depth and is balanced wel. The feel is creamy, lively carbonation, rather dry, light crispness in the finish.

11-22-2011 18:23:54 | More by cpetrone84
antoines15

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

So far, this is the best of the Upland lambics that I have had. Better than kiwi, raspberry, and strawberry, well, maybe not strawberry.

Resembles a watered down mountain dew with some pretty active bubbles.

Smells like what I imagine a persimmon smells like. Peach-like, possibly? Definitely more fruity smelling than the others that I have had.

Taste has more of that nice fruit flavor, almost tastes like the outside of a peach. Pretty sour, its no Cantillon, but what is? The fruit flavor lingers for quite awhile and is very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue, very active carbonation, too much for me.

It doesn't get you all the way in the back like Cantillon does but all in all, a pleasant beverage to share with friends. Too much for me and my SB to finish in one sitting.

11-19-2011 23:18:16 | More by antoines15
Reagan1984

2.78/5  rDev -34.7%

Thanks to Masterski for sending this along last month. Shared this bottle with Jctribe last night.

Well, we had a GUSHER!!!.. Seriously, this bottle was never shaken or disturbed. As I released the cage, I noticed the cork was moving out on it’s own right away. I popped it and thought we struck oil. 1/2 the bottle was immediately all over my coffee table.

After finally getting the situation under control we poured the beer and it was a very hazy dull pale yellow/straw color. Not sure if this is what it’s supposed to be or if the sediment was suspended in the remaining beer. A touch of fizzy white head capped the beer.

Aroma was so thick and perfume like it was unreal. I used to work in a produce department, so I’ve had Persimmons, but it’s been years. The smell was a bit familiar, but it also was so strong and perfume like that it seems a woman put on way too much. Almost chemical like.

Flavor was also very perfume like filled with a flavor that matched the distinct fruit notes in the aroma. But the chemical like flavor or just overbearing perfume was also center stage. After this initial hit there was a lot of vanilla and oak.

Strangely smooth and silky mouth feel. Would have to guess that the suspended yeast and knocked down carbonation contributed to this.

I have to say I wasn’t the biggest fan here, but I am happy I had the opportunity.

11-18-2011 22:23:04 | More by Reagan1984
tjkinate

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Best sour beer I have had, which I must admit isn't many.

A: A short lived single fingered bright white head forms atop this deep yellow, partly cloudy brew leaving no lacing in its wake.

S: Strong scents filled with what I assume are persimmons, along with other acidic fruits. Brett funkiness shows its face, but isn't as prominent as in others from similar varieties. Made my mouth water.

T: Big sour front, much more prominent than the smell led me to believe. Fruit does follow nicely, but I still wish they were stronger. Like the smell, the Brett funkiness is more subtle than others.

M: Highly carbonated, crisp, medium light.

O: Best I have had of the variety, but these sour beers really aren't my favorite.

11-18-2011 18:40:24 | More by tjkinate
aasher

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer pours a milky, somewhat opaque pear juice washed yellow. It pours smoothly and medium in body. The nose is quite possibly the greatest and freshest nose that I've ever experienced in a beer. The aromas are full of freshly cut fruit, melons, pears, kiwis, slight lactic sourness, and persimmons galore! The freshness is absurd. It is just so luscious and fruit forward. The flavors too of tart juicy melons, persimmons, fresh peaches, with slight funk. It is near perfect. It drinks fresh, sharp, and crisp and goes down well. It's hard to actually sip it because I can't get my nose out of the glass. What a masterpiece! Phenomenal, phenomenal beer.

11-05-2011 00:54:11 | More by aasher
Brew33

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was warned that this beer may be a gusher and under a lot of pressure. Sure enough as soon as I got the cage off, the cork EXPLODED out. So be careful.

After the initial shock of the cork almost murdering me I get a chance to look at the beer. This beer drove my Duvel tulip crazy. TONS of bubbles just exploding in a constant stream from the etching in the center of the glass. Very pale yellow/orange in color with a constant white head being produced by the incredibly spritzy carbonation.

The aroma was light but good. Tart, acidic, lactic, and fruity. Oranges, persimmons I suppose? This beers tastes fantastic. Delicate, light, tart, very tart actually. The Oak casks don't impart much flavor. This beer isn't very "funky" though. The Brett character is pretty mild. Slightly grainy but very snappy and light. The carbonation makes for a very light mouthfeel and aids in the amazingly dry, quick finish. Good stuff!

Overall this is a very enjoyable Wild Ale. I really like the delicate flavors and champagne like carbonation. Decidedly subtle and refined.

10-28-2011 14:06:45 | More by Brew33
BrewerB

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade from aasher as part of another amazing package. Been looking forward to the Upland lambics for a long time. Thanks again, Al!

Pouring into a Cantillon flute, this is a hazy straw color with a quick-to-recede 1-2 finger white foam. Viciously active carbonation streams steadily towards the surface.

Wonderfully inviting nose offers up a prominent persimmon presence mingling with leather, sour fruit, tobacco. Spice.

Persimmons on the palette, puckering tartness. Picking up a very light toasted quality, hint of vanilla. Perhaps this is the oak? Funk arrives fashionably late. Barnyard/leathery. Dry finish.

Light bodied, perky carbonation. Smooth despite the intense sourness.

Really enjoying this offering and absolutely looking forward to the strawberry and kiwi that arrived in the same box. Lovely persimmon fruit counterbalanced with the intense sourness and a lot of funk. Very drinkable, would definitely enjoy another bottle or two, were it not so limited.

10-26-2011 04:16:31 | More by BrewerB