Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Persimmon LambicPersimmon Lambic

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010)
Reviews by Alieniloquium:
3.89/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 3/15/2011, batch 71-09.

Appearance - It's a gusher. Big white head on a hazy yellow orange body. Thin collar after it settles and only a couple small islands of bubbles.

Smell - Lots of citrus. Never had a persimmon, so I can't compare it. Musty and a touch acidic.

Taste - Very sour. Fruity, less citrusy than the nose, but a definite orange-like taste. A little grainy. Finishes with some acetic sourness.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Makes it seem effervescent. Drinkably light.

Overall - Not really lambicky, but a nice American sour. Much better than the Kiwi I had a couple weeks ago.

Alieniloquium, Apr 02, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to Will for crossing off another huge want on my list. This one immediately gushed with the pop of the cork, but luckily too much beer wasn't lost before we were able to pour it into our glasses. It's a light orange-y, pale straw, pear-ish kind of color that's completely and utterly opaque. The white head is volatile, fizzy, and loud, and is literally wiped from existence within seconds of the pour.

Wow, the aroma is quite unlike anything I've smelled before. Eccentrically citrusy, with reminders of orange and lemon, but there's a nebulous fruitiness that I have yet to encounter - must be the persimmons. I haven't had a persimmon before, but smelling this beer really makes me want to go out and find one. Because if they smell like this, they must be good.

I love the pureness of the aroma; it smells like you're walking through a ripe patch of fruit. Highly authentic, and I don't even know what persimmon smells like. Ripe fruit skins, mild sweetness, a hint of tart acidity, and a faint underbrushing of grass that really ties everything together. At this point, I'm not getting much (if any) funk or Brett, but the fruit aspect is enough to blow me away.

The taste is miles ahead of the aroma in terms of perceivable sourness, but it still remains decadent and easy to swallow without puckering your ass or burning a hole in your stomach lining too much. It's incredibly fruity, again with that somewhat uncharted flavor that I can only assume must be from the persimmon. Digging deeper reveals some orange and pear, too.

Once the tartness calms a bit and the raw fruitiness begins to wind down, the oak becomes noticeable with just a light hint of Bretty funk and a touch sweetness in the undercurrent. This creates a nice, dry, and savory finish that gives the perfect closure to a fantastically fruity, juicy, tart, and lightly sweet beer, much unlike the series finale of The Sopranos. Effervescent on the palate, thin bodied and crisp, carbonated pretty heavily.

This was the first time my body has ingested any form of persimmon or even persimmon flavor, and it was quite delicious. I can't help but feel that I'll be let down once I get my hands on the actual fruit itself. Persimmon Lambic is so delightfully pure and raw by nature, though, and sour fanatics will have no trouble enjoying this beer. Makes me want the rest of the Upland Lambic series now.

tectactoe, Jul 30, 2013

joel66, Mar 07, 2013

warnerry, May 29, 2013

Callmecoon, Apr 05, 2012

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle. Bottled 2/25/10.

The beer pours a milky, pale yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the persimmons with quite a bit of tartness mixed in. I also get some citrus fruits, mainly apricots and oranges.

The flavor is similar. In addition to persimmon and bready malts, I get some oranges, lemons and some nice tartness. Not incredibly sour, but tart enough to be very easy to drink.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Feb 19, 2011

bpfrush, Nov 14, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

dogfishandi, Apr 14, 2014
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle (2010)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MeisterSmudge!

Light in color than I anticipated, but maybe only because I'm comparing it to the "persimmon colored" label on the outside of the bottle. Clear light golden with a small ring of near-white bubbles atop. Leaves the glass nearly clean, though it does leaves an oily sheen down the glass.

An interesting aroma, and nothing like I've had in the past. Persimmon character, bright and expressive, along with some lemon, and a somewhat strange paint thinner aroma, unfortunately, most likely from the yeast.

The flavor is better than the aroma, as the paint thinner flavor (no, I've ever drank paint thinner) is fairly well hidden, big sour character, persimmon, lemon, and some mild, though in this case, complementary Band-Aid flavor. Very drinkable, even with the strange flavors noted.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

I've had this beer a number of times now, and I think it was best nearly a year ago. Drink up now if you have it! It's most certainly not getting any better, though will probably always be a very tasty, flavorful, very sour beer.

ehammond1, Jan 20, 2013

Soonami, Nov 18, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -12%

acurtis, Apr 12, 2012

UWBadgerFan4Life, Jun 12, 2014

jh1982, Nov 24, 2011

MADPolo, Mar 10, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Thanks to TPatuto (Tom) for this one. Shared with capra12 and schen9303 at an Upland tasting. Poured from a corked and caged bottle (batch 77-08, bottled 2/25/10) into a Darkness snifter.

Pours a 1 finger froth, white head with moderate retention. Beer is a slightly cloudy pale orange-yellow. No lacing. Average given the style.

Nose is plastic, Brett funk, and very light and crisp persimmon pulp. Not overly mellow and the fruit flavors are hidden almost completely. There's an odd but enjoyable berlinger-weisse-like scent going on here though.

Opens spicy and slightly sweet. Persimmon towards the middle with some sweet hay and plastic. Brett and band-aid on the finish which is lightly tart and crisp. No aftertaste. The flavor here is incredibly light but very refreshing. Fruit comes forward but it's not dominant.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth with some bubbles going down. Again, very clean and crsip mouthfeel. Clean finish with no aftertaste. Super easy to drink.

This is my favorite offering of the Upland fruit lambics. The persimmon doesn't come on strong but something about it makes this beer very subtle, easy to drink, and infinitely quenching. I could have this one over and over again.

SpeedwayJim, Jul 24, 2011

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

mobius387, Apr 21, 2013

dsgolovin, Dec 28, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for giving me this one during our MASSIVE in-person trade when he came down to visit! Thanks Al! Slight gusher! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart, sour, subtle funk, passion fruit, persimmon, and slight sour apple. The flavor was of sweet malt, persimmon, tropical fruit, tart, sour, and a very slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a solid brew. I really have to say, that I quite enjoyed this one. I have had a lot of these in the series and this one is definitely up there as far as one of my favorites. The persimmon is definitely the star of the show on this one and keeps reminding you of this fact throughout every sip. A really well done brew that should be tried by anyone who likes the style or persimmon. You won't be disappointed.

thagr81us, Dec 11, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from 750ml bottle. Thanks go out to Lukafer for opening this one. Luke you are way to kind. A side note...this bottle gushed only lost a few ounces though.

A- Poured a hazy apricot color. There seems to be a lot of floaties in the beer itself which I don't mind. Two finger white head that shows good retention. Lacing sticks to the sides of the glass in a very streaking manner.

S- Nice big citrus aroma which I figure is the persimmons. Light sour vinegar aroma. As it warmed up I could smell a light oaky tone to it. It was short and sweet but very well made in the nose and bursting with aroma.

T- This has a nice light tartnes with sourlike qualities in the front of the beer. Persimmons with light tangerine and peach notes. A very light oak flavor comes through in the middle. The sourness comes in a lot more in the ending. Vinegar like notes with a ton citrus in the very end.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is very high in this one but almost perfect for the style. Citrus sour tones left on the palate with even more citrus sour flavor in the aftertaste. Light drying on the palate. Flavors were blended well and seemed to burst in certain parts.

D- This beer was very good to say the least. I think it will only get better with age. The sourness isn't very in your face yet but give it some time and it will be. I wish I had a bottle of this to keep onto.

alleykatking, Jun 18, 2010