Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 312 | Reviews: 76
Reviews by Spider889:
4.32/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to Will for crossing off another huge want on my list. This one immediately gushed with the pop of the cork, but luckily too much beer wasn't lost before we were able to pour it into our glasses. It's a light orange-y, pale straw, pear-ish kind of color that's completely and utterly opaque. The white head is volatile, fizzy, and loud, and is literally wiped from existence within seconds of the pour.

Wow, the aroma is quite unlike anything I've smelled before. Eccentrically citrusy, with reminders of orange and lemon, but there's a nebulous fruitiness that I have yet to encounter - must be the persimmons. I haven't had a persimmon before, but smelling this beer really makes me want to go out and find one. Because if they smell like this, they must be good.

I love the pureness of the aroma; it smells like you're walking through a ripe patch of fruit. Highly authentic, and I don't even know what persimmon smells like. Ripe fruit skins, mild sweetness, a hint of tart acidity, and a faint underbrushing of grass that really ties everything together. At this point, I'm not getting much (if any) funk or Brett, but the fruit aspect is enough to blow me away.

The taste is miles ahead of the aroma in terms of perceivable sourness, but it still remains decadent and easy to swallow without puckering your ass or burning a hole in your stomach lining too much. It's incredibly fruity, again with that somewhat uncharted flavor that I can only assume must be from the persimmon. Digging deeper reveals some orange and pear, too.

Once the tartness calms a bit and the raw fruitiness begins to wind down, the oak becomes noticeable with just a light hint of Bretty funk and a touch sweetness in the undercurrent. This creates a nice, dry, and savory finish that gives the perfect closure to a fantastically fruity, juicy, tart, and lightly sweet beer, much unlike the series finale of The Sopranos. Effervescent on the palate, thin bodied and crisp, carbonated pretty heavily.

This was the first time my body has ingested any form of persimmon or even persimmon flavor, and it was quite delicious. I can't help but feel that I'll be let down once I get my hands on the actual fruit itself. Persimmon Lambic is so delightfully pure and raw by nature, though, and sour fanatics will have no trouble enjoying this beer. Makes me want the rest of the Upland Lambic series now.

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle. Bottled 2/25/10.

The beer pours a milky, pale yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the persimmons with quite a bit of tartness mixed in. I also get some citrus fruits, mainly apricots and oranges.

The flavor is similar. In addition to persimmon and bready malts, I get some oranges, lemons and some nice tartness. Not incredibly sour, but tart enough to be very easy to drink.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle (2010)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MeisterSmudge!

Light in color than I anticipated, but maybe only because I'm comparing it to the "persimmon colored" label on the outside of the bottle. Clear light golden with a small ring of near-white bubbles atop. Leaves the glass nearly clean, though it does leaves an oily sheen down the glass.

An interesting aroma, and nothing like I've had in the past. Persimmon character, bright and expressive, along with some lemon, and a somewhat strange paint thinner aroma, unfortunately, most likely from the yeast.

The flavor is better than the aroma, as the paint thinner flavor (no, I've ever drank paint thinner) is fairly well hidden, big sour character, persimmon, lemon, and some mild, though in this case, complementary Band-Aid flavor. Very drinkable, even with the strange flavors noted.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

I've had this beer a number of times now, and I think it was best nearly a year ago. Drink up now if you have it! It's most certainly not getting any better, though will probably always be a very tasty, flavorful, very sour beer.

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to TPatuto (Tom) for this one. Shared with capra12 and schen9303 at an Upland tasting. Poured from a corked and caged bottle (batch 77-08, bottled 2/25/10) into a Darkness snifter.

Pours a 1 finger froth, white head with moderate retention. Beer is a slightly cloudy pale orange-yellow. No lacing. Average given the style.

Nose is plastic, Brett funk, and very light and crisp persimmon pulp. Not overly mellow and the fruit flavors are hidden almost completely. There's an odd but enjoyable berlinger-weisse-like scent going on here though.

Opens spicy and slightly sweet. Persimmon towards the middle with some sweet hay and plastic. Brett and band-aid on the finish which is lightly tart and crisp. No aftertaste. The flavor here is incredibly light but very refreshing. Fruit comes forward but it's not dominant.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth with some bubbles going down. Again, very clean and crsip mouthfeel. Clean finish with no aftertaste. Super easy to drink.

This is my favorite offering of the Upland fruit lambics. The persimmon doesn't come on strong but something about it makes this beer very subtle, easy to drink, and infinitely quenching. I could have this one over and over again.

3.91/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 3/15/2011, batch 71-09.

Appearance - It's a gusher. Big white head on a hazy yellow orange body. Thin collar after it settles and only a couple small islands of bubbles.

Smell - Lots of citrus. Never had a persimmon, so I can't compare it. Musty and a touch acidic.

Taste - Very sour. Fruity, less citrusy than the nose, but a definite orange-like taste. A little grainy. Finishes with some acetic sourness.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Makes it seem effervescent. Drinkably light.

Overall - Not really lambicky, but a nice American sour. Much better than the Kiwi I had a couple weeks ago.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for giving me this one during our MASSIVE in-person trade when he came down to visit! Thanks Al! Slight gusher! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart, sour, subtle funk, passion fruit, persimmon, and slight sour apple. The flavor was of sweet malt, persimmon, tropical fruit, tart, sour, and a very slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a solid brew. I really have to say, that I quite enjoyed this one. I have had a lot of these in the series and this one is definitely up there as far as one of my favorites. The persimmon is definitely the star of the show on this one and keeps reminding you of this fact throughout every sip. A really well done brew that should be tried by anyone who likes the style or persimmon. You won't be disappointed.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle. Thanks go out to Lukafer for opening this one. Luke you are way to kind. A side note...this bottle gushed only lost a few ounces though.

A- Poured a hazy apricot color. There seems to be a lot of floaties in the beer itself which I don't mind. Two finger white head that shows good retention. Lacing sticks to the sides of the glass in a very streaking manner.

S- Nice big citrus aroma which I figure is the persimmons. Light sour vinegar aroma. As it warmed up I could smell a light oaky tone to it. It was short and sweet but very well made in the nose and bursting with aroma.

T- This has a nice light tartnes with sourlike qualities in the front of the beer. Persimmons with light tangerine and peach notes. A very light oak flavor comes through in the middle. The sourness comes in a lot more in the ending. Vinegar like notes with a ton citrus in the very end.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is very high in this one but almost perfect for the style. Citrus sour tones left on the palate with even more citrus sour flavor in the aftertaste. Light drying on the palate. Flavors were blended well and seemed to burst in certain parts.

D- This beer was very good to say the least. I think it will only get better with age. The sourness isn't very in your face yet but give it some time and it will be. I wish I had a bottle of this to keep onto.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks Alex for sharing your bottle! Glad I could help.

Into a champagne flute the Persimmon poured with lots of active carbonation. There was a good pop from the cork, and a significantly charged head of foam. It faded to a skim after a few minutes, and left flecks of lace on the glass. Visible streams of bubbles, with some suspended bits of sediment that may have been fruit. The color was a bright pastel yellow orange.

Bright and fresh citrus aroma, uniquely fruity, which must be the persimmons in there. Tastes almost mimosa-like, citrusy again with a good level of tartness that puckers somewhat. 5/10 on the sour scale. Light bodied and soft on the palate, drying quickly leaving traces of oak and Brett in the aftertaste. Spritzy and fruit forward, almost juicy. Very quenching and easy to drink. If it weren't so scarce, a bottle would go down fast, even several at a time.

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

750 ml bottle opened by the guys at the Upland table at the GLBF. We waited for these three for about half an hour. About a 2 oz pour in our tasters.

A - First pour from the bottle, it comes out clear and pale yellow. No head at all on this one. I know low retention is expected for an acid-filled lambic, but no head at all?

S - Immediate, unmistakable gueuze lambic aroma bursts out with strong lactic acid. A hint of that barf aroma in there pokes out around some sweet fruity hints that linger in the background.

T - Light fruity sweet notes linger behind the sour, lactic acid flavor. Fairly one-dimensional but tasty regardless.

M - Light-bodied with a mild sweetness on the back end that's overshadowed by a highly carbonated, sour finish.

D - Good drinkability, it would be best shared with a few people but it's a nice beer regardless.

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

opens with a burnt yellow and huge head. Tremendous hard fizzy head...and it keeps coming. nose is of sourness and hay. oaky presence from the barrel age process as well. Taste is first of wood bitterness and a sour fruit. The fruit blends right in with the wood...and I wish the two flavors were segregated more. I can't seem to appreciate the woody flavor here in this lambic. The persimmon is a nice sour fruit flavor...wish it was more dominant. mouthfeel is crisp. A rush of fizz hits the lips so hard you can feel a slight burn from the bubbles popping. It is a pleasant sensation. Overall, nice sourness to it, very drinkable due to the heavy carb, though I feel to much of this would both upset my stomach and overpower my senses...too much oakiness for me.

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Split with my girlfriend. Pours a bright yellow with a gigantic head that settles fairly quickly. I think after settling my glass was only 1/4 full.

Smells of persimmons with some lemon, pepper and a lot of funk going on.

Taste is very tart upfront. Much more so than I was expecting, but it wasn't bad. Rounds out into some lemony/persimmon flavor with a touch of funk at the end.

Bubbly, but not a gusher for me. Good carbonation. Good light lambic.

Been waiting to try this one for a while as I had a friend who made persimmon wine back home. Good flavor and nothing is terribly overpowering. Very good job by my local brewer.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

amber in color with a good amount of cloudiness and haze to it, enough that you could barely see through to the other side. Nice light puff of white on top that faded leaving only a little bit of lace on top.

The aroma was beautiful. Rich sour funkiness with huge touches of tropical fruits and notes of light hops mixed in. Light peppery and spice notes come through as it warms, but the sour funk was so hardcore. The flavor was puckeringly good. Rich fruits and herbal, hoppy, and lightly spiced, hallmarks of a great beer are all over this one. As it warms barrel notes, lots of spice and a long drawn out and very dry finish

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle provided by DeaconBluez. Thanks, Chip. I like persimmons and I like lambic, so this was interesting to try.

This one gushed a bit as we opened it, though we managed to salvage the majority of the bottle. The beer rests in the glass a pale blond color with moderate haze and no head or lacing, though there's plenty of carbonation.

Nice fruitiness to the nose, the persimmon stands out, and it's backed by lactic and acetic sourness that, combined with the fruit, is almost like sour hard candy. Beneath that there's a bit of aspirin, mild funk and wood.

Tart and fruity on the tongue, persimmon shines through nicely. It's highly carbonated, excessively so, which thins the body a bit and blurs the flavors slightly. I get an herbal, almost medicinal or aspirin-like flavor mid-palate. Refreshing stuff, very quaffable, we finished the bottle in about 10 minutes and I could have gone for another pour. It's only mildly sour, though quite dry, especially in the finish which does display a bit of oak and tannin. It's a nice thirst-quenching beer, not particularly outstanding in any way but very good.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A-Cloudy pale yellow, well carbonated, one finger head.

S-Woah. Persimmons, lots of citrus notes. Nice funk as well and moderate oak.

T-Woah again. Great funk, amazing citrus and persimmon notes. Oak is there as well. Amazing balance.

M-Lighter, some carbonation, a crisp and dry finish.

O-Easily of of the best fruited lambics Upland makes.

3.42/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Vintage 2011, shared by Jason during the Super Bowl. Served in a snifter.

A: Moderately hazy pale yellow/orange colored body with a quickly diminishing head. No lacing or retention of any kind.

S: Tart and sweet fruits (I've never had a persimmon before but I'll assume that's what fruit I'm picking up here). Funk, grains and perhaps some melon notes.

T: Initially a lot of tartness up front with some funk character. The fruit is here mid-palate, it's strange. Not bad but certainly nothing outstanding. Melon-like qualities are here again. Finish is quite dry and cuts off quickly.

M: A bit too carbonated. Very bubbly and sudsy on the palate, even for the style it could be toned back just a bit. Crisp and clean though.

This was decent. Personally I think this is rated a bit higher than it needs to be. An interesting fruited "lambic" for sure, but nothing I'd need to revisit.

4.39/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We opened this one up at the tasting this past weekend. Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow with a finger of bubbly, white head. The head goes away completely. I once saw one of these gush everywhere, so I was really happy that my bottle didn't have that problem at all.

Smell: Very sour and mildly funky. Smells like fresh orange and tangerine peel with some lemony tartness.

Taste: This beer has a really tart citrus sourness to it. The orange peel is there, and it makes the beer really light and extremely refreshing. Really digging this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with really fizzy carbonation. The bubbles are large. The finish is dry.

Overall: This beer is just awesome. I don't know what a Persimmon tastes like, but I enjoyed this. So light and refreshing, I would love to get some more.

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%

Pour a light yellow with some hints of orange, with a big, white, fluffy, soapy, sturdy head that slowly recedes leaving some spotty lacing. Lots of carbonation here, probably too much.

Aromas begin with a POW of citrusy tartness along with tangerine, unripe peach, oak and some lactic sourness come through as well. I have no idea what a persimmon smells like but this is awesome and in your face and tart. As it warms I get some faint hints of earth as well.

The tastes follow the nose but not as "juicy" if that makes sense. Flavors include light wheat malt, tangerine, unripe white peaches, citrus zest and some hints of oak. More tart than sour, per say and not as intense as the nose would have let on. Very nice flavor though.

The mouthfeel was medium to thin bodied with high levels of carbonation. Wish the carbonation was toned down, it would have allowed the flavors to come through more in my opinion. A few too many bubbles scrubbing the palate.

Overall this was a nice surprise and a beer that I wish I could get my hands on more regularly. The aromas were out of this world but taste and mouthfeel left me a tad disappointed, considering what it costs to acquire a bottle of this. Hopefully if they make this again it the carbonation will be more balanced out so I can really enjoy the complex flavors here.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. Bottled 3/15/11, Batch 71-09. Big thanks to Rempo for this. Persimmons are probably my favorite fruit, so I'm super excited about this.

2.5 A: The color of this is quite shocking. I expected a pinkish hue, but instead this looks like hazy chardonay. Three fingers of white, fizzy soda-pop head that falls super fast and leaves no lacing. Like usual, Upland managed to make an ugly brew.

5.0 S: This is like anything I've ever smelled before, which makes much sense given that this is the only beer I've ever had that features persimmons. Oh yeah, it also smells wonderful. Persimmons are exploding from this. I'm picking up everything on the spectrum from immature, unripened persimmons to their sofy, overly ripened counterparts. With regards to this, I am picking up both earthy and sweet. There's a tartness to this that follows the unripened fruit vein, but there isn't a lot of traditional sourness in this. Oak complements the fruit and a light barnyard funk follows.

4.5 T: Again, the persimmon is running the show. Sweet, earthy, tart, and certainly distinct all at once. There's a good bit more acid in the taste that what the nose presented. This comes mainly in the form of tangy lactic acid, but there are notes of acetic as well. As for funk, there's a ton of it. Funky barnyard, hay, wet grass, apple orchard, and horse. A lemony zestiness to it. Oak and vanilla complement the other flavors increasing the complexity of this. Persimmon aftertaste.

4.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate spritzy carbonation. Good creaminess in this and super smooth.

4.5 D: I enjoyed this a lot. This is easily my favorite Upland brew. It captures the essence of the persimmon perfectly and presents it with force. There aren't too many brews out there that are unique, but as of now, this one is.

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer pours a milky, somewhat opaque pear juice washed yellow. It pours smoothly and medium in body. The nose is quite possibly the greatest and freshest nose that I've ever experienced in a beer. The aromas are full of freshly cut fruit, melons, pears, kiwis, slight lactic sourness, and persimmons galore! The freshness is absurd. It is just so luscious and fruit forward. The flavors too of tart juicy melons, persimmons, fresh peaches, with slight funk. It is near perfect. It drinks fresh, sharp, and crisp and goes down well. It's hard to actually sip it because I can't get my nose out of the glass. What a masterpiece! Phenomenal, phenomenal beer.

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

Shared a bottle with my family tonight for my 22nd Birthday

A- Poured a hazy yellow with a small head that quickly faded

Smell- Tons and tons of fruit in the nose, absolutely love this smell, reminds me of the persimmons I used to have at my grandma's

T- Wow, absolutely love this. The sourness is one of the strongest I've had but not without a massive amount of flavor here.

M- Lighter body here and really easy for me to drink. Not so easy for my family of BMC drinkers but for me it was good.

O- I absolutely loved this. I don't drink this style often but this one may have opened my eyes quite a bit. Grab or trade for this if you are a fan or sours.

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Dan for sharing this one.

Glowing yellow and straw color with white head. Very light lacing and retention.

Lightly adicid with an odd funky nose. Sour in different ways, not just the typical.

Crazy weird sour fruityness that seems dimensional. Lemony citrus but not harsh in lemon acidity. Like I had said in the nose the flavors are also odd but not unwelcome.

Good medium mouthfeel with great carbonation.

The oddity in flavor dings the drinkability of this beer some but I'm sure I could still enjoy a healthy portion of it.

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%

I went crazy getting ready for this round of lambic and it wasn't really necessary. Low carbonation.

A: Pours a very light lemongrass color. No head at all, this looks like dead Hottenroth. There is some bubbles sitting around in the glass but overall this could have used some time to possibly develop some carbonation.

S: The smell is crazy fruity, with tons of funk going on. Smells of some sharp sourness and acidity, hopefully that carries over. This has the complexity of a gueuze with lots of fruit character on top of that. Possibly my favorite smelling lambic to date.

T: This is fairly sour with some lemony tartness. I think the light spice and citrus from the persimmon(never had one) brings it back from the point of being really puckering. This makes me think persimmon is like lemon-lime. Just like the nose, this has lots of funk and fruit-a very complex and refreshing flavor combo. The buggy oak barrels gave this some great qualities. Highly acidic

M: Very low carbonation-not what I expected. This feels slightly thin bodied and oily.

O: I was very dissapointed by the non-existent carbonation. Other than that the flavors of this really redeemed it. Its very complex and refreshing. A very good lambic, I think this is just a bad bottle.

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 3-15?-11 (handwriting on bottle makes this unsure). Batch 71-09

Early pours are near crystal-clear lemmony yellow, hazier after that. Fizzy head bubbles up aggressively, but very little retention. Even with the head gone, the etched bottom of my glass yields a continual fizzing stream of bubbles that's audible from a considerable distance.

Smell is a great indicator of what's to come. Soft sour, great tart fruit, a little funky fresh-mown hay field. Notes of sweetness and fruity candy. I like it already.

I don't know what I expected, but the taste is pretty incredible, but different. Bright sour up front with a nice rolling persimmon behind it - never too dense or too strongly any one dimension. The persimmon is a wonderful soft, but full flavor while staying bright and crisp in the beer. Round sweetness of fleshy peach with Lemmon zest, fresh grass, and a tart ripeness filling to the end, followed by a clean full finish and faint fresh-grains flavor. Excellent. Only minor drawbacks are it could be more sour, and sweetness (overall rather pleasant) leaves a very faint soapy-clean aftertaste.

Carbonation is excellently balanced and nicely full, adding a brightness to the beer and interest on the tongue. Feel is medium to light bodied, thickening in the finish and clean after, a little left on the palate.

This beer really surprised me. The persimmon is an exciting new addition, and, I was pleasantly surprised and the great balance and overall character. I was a little wary of the carbonation, but was very satisfied with it's place fitting in nicely to the overall profile. Not as 'funky' as some, less emphasis on horselblanket and more on tart sour fruit and balance. I suppose that's the only thing I was left wanting more of, and yet, what's in the bottle is pretty incredible. Glad I opened it now; would have been great to hang on to for a year longer; wish I had another bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

This one is a gusher! In a strange way as well. Took the cage off with my thumb over the bottle, and no movement. Take my thumb off to set the cage on the table and grab my glass...BOOM! The cork slowly started and then popped before I could get back, but luckily we grabbed the bottle and only lost a few ounces. After this fiasco, shared with bmanning, Azurelimits, Amyliz4, and hhanson.

A: Pours a very pale, hazy apricot with a light and fizzy bone-white head. Head sticks around for a while in a tall, thin Weyerbacher tulip.

S: Nice citrus-y tartness comes through along with faint hints of earth. Tangerine, unripe peach, oak, and some lactic sourness come through as well. Hard to say if there's persimmon floating around in here, as I've never had one so don't know what to look for.

T: Along the same lines as the nose, but with a bit more tartness coming through. I'd definitely say that this reminded me a lot of some of the nicer berliner weissbiers that I've had, in that the taste on this one might be better described as tart rather than sour, although I could definitely see some more sourness developing with age. Other than this, tangerine, unripe white peaches, a bit of apricot, hints of oak, and some wheat and citrus zest.

M: Fairly thin with some very nice carbonation. Not quite as sour as I would have thought, but overall a very nice experience.

D: Highly drinkable. I presume this is low in alcohol, and provides great taste characteristics and pretty good complexity for a beer of this size. Nice interplay of flavors and I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops over time.

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to rudzud for sharing.

Very little fizzy head, sounds like a soda bubbling, lots of yeast chunks, cloudy yellow banana Berliner Weiss color.

Nose is tons of sour, tons of lactic acid, light lemony like fruit and fruit rind, tartness and just pure lactic acid heartburn.

Taste holy Shit sour, redefines sour, so much sour and lactic acid, makes my glands hurt and eyes water, so sour my balls hurt, lactic crazy, sticky little flemmy, big lemony tart with little funk. Finish is dry bready but tons of burning acid, sour funk, tart lemon rind, and pure fuck your esophagus. Also late brings an awesome lemon mouth watering tartness.

Mouth burns the Shit out of everything, but still drinkable and tasty, nice carb small bubbles. 425

Overall very interesting, almost undrinkable as its so sour, but still delicious, walks the fine like of awesomeness.

to view more.