Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010

2.78/5  rDev -33.7%

Thanks to Masterski for sending this along last month. Shared this bottle with Jctribe last night.

Well, we had a GUSHER!!!.. Seriously, this bottle was never shaken or disturbed. As I released the cage, I noticed the cork was moving out on it’s own right away. I popped it and thought we struck oil. 1/2 the bottle was immediately all over my coffee table.

After finally getting the situation under control we poured the beer and it was a very hazy dull pale yellow/straw color. Not sure if this is what it’s supposed to be or if the sediment was suspended in the remaining beer. A touch of fizzy white head capped the beer.

Aroma was so thick and perfume like it was unreal. I used to work in a produce department, so I’ve had Persimmons, but it’s been years. The smell was a bit familiar, but it also was so strong and perfume like that it seems a woman put on way too much. Almost chemical like.

Flavor was also very perfume like filled with a flavor that matched the distinct fruit notes in the aroma. But the chemical like flavor or just overbearing perfume was also center stage. After this initial hit there was a lot of vanilla and oak.

Strangely smooth and silky mouth feel. Would have to guess that the suspended yeast and knocked down carbonation contributed to this.

I have to say I wasn’t the biggest fan here, but I am happy I had the opportunity. (1,381 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -23.4%

2012 bottling shared with the wife, sister-in-law and father--in-law...750ml.

Where to begin? The allure of well crafted persimmon lambic had me intrigued from the get-go. While a nice sweet and somewhat restrained fruit, my hope was that it could be a showcase fruit around a nice soft and rounded sour beer. Sound and rounded have no further place in this review.

This is the beer that the marketers of Zantac envision their users overdosing after: an overpowering, no-holds-barred acidic beer that takes the persimmon and strangles the ever loving piss out of it. Tomato paste consistency, little to no carb, and heavy on the palate.

While I though I erred on the side of enjoying highly sour fruited beers, this beer just put that to the test. All sour, muddled fruit, no finesse....a rough go and a downer. (814 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Vintage 2011, shared by Jason during the Super Bowl. Served in a snifter.

A: Moderately hazy pale yellow/orange colored body with a quickly diminishing head. No lacing or retention of any kind.

S: Tart and sweet fruits (I've never had a persimmon before but I'll assume that's what fruit I'm picking up here). Funk, grains and perhaps some melon notes.

T: Initially a lot of tartness up front with some funk character. The fruit is here mid-palate, it's strange. Not bad but certainly nothing outstanding. Melon-like qualities are here again. Finish is quite dry and cuts off quickly.

M: A bit too carbonated. Very bubbly and sudsy on the palate, even for the style it could be toned back just a bit. Crisp and clean though.

This was decent. Personally I think this is rated a bit higher than it needs to be. An interesting fruited "lambic" for sure, but nothing I'd need to revisit. (888 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Really excited to try this one last night. However, it did not live up to Upland's hype.

The bottle we got was infected, at least in terms of aroma. HUGE amounts of nail polish wiped away any others characteristics that might have come through.

Flavor, however, wasn't as bad. No nail polish, but not that fruity. I don't know what a persimmon tastes like, but either way I didn't get much. Just a grainy, sour bomb.

This is the 3rd Upland sour I have had and while I applaud an American brewery trying to make Lambics, they have missed the mark in my opinion and the product doesn't warrant the hype. (606 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of claaark13. Thanks, Sean!

From notes.

A: Pours a hazy straw-colored body with a finger of off-white head. A little lace.

S: Clean lactic sourness in the nose with muscat grapes, lemon zest, persimmon flesh.

T: The taste isn't as fruity as I was hoping; I still find muscat grapes and persimmon flesh, which are well supported by lactic sourness. There is a slight vinegar burn in the finish, but it has a clean flavor otherwise. The main drawback is the lack of powerful fruit expression. No funk and barely any oak, but there is mild vanilla.

M: Light-bodied with crisp, snappy carbonation. A relatively clean finish aside from the vinegar burn.

O: Solid, but I would like to see the fruit character enhanced. (761 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10%

From 08/13/11 notes. Shared a bottle of this with some friends and my girlfriend. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip. Bottle gushed a little bit but no where near as bad as some other Upland beers I've had.

a - Pours a murky pale yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate to high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour tropical fruits, persimmon, light brett, but more than the taste, and light citrus.

t - Tastes of sour tropical fruits, some funk and brett but very light here, persimmon, and some almost grapefruit like scents. Very fruity and not overly funky.

m - Light to medium body and high carbonation, pretty on key with all the other Upland lambics.

o - Overall this was a good beer, but a bit disappointing. It was a bit fruitier than some of the other Upland lambics and not as funky as the others. I had heard some people say this was their favorite/the best one, but it definitely isn't mine. Worth trying but I like the funkier ones better. (979 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Reviewed on 5/14/2010. Bottle thanks to FlssmrBrewAlum. Pours a cloudy light yellow with a thick white head and lively carbonation. Aroma of light funk and a sweet smelling fruit, which I'm guessing is the persimmon (I'm not familiar with the fruit). Flavor is very bready and malty with less funk and fruitiness coming out. Enjoyable and palatable but I wish that more of the persimmon came out in the flavor. (410 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

opens with a burnt yellow and huge head. Tremendous hard fizzy head...and it keeps coming. nose is of sourness and hay. oaky presence from the barrel age process as well. Taste is first of wood bitterness and a sour fruit. The fruit blends right in with the wood...and I wish the two flavors were segregated more. I can't seem to appreciate the woody flavor here in this lambic. The persimmon is a nice sour fruit flavor...wish it was more dominant. mouthfeel is crisp. A rush of fizz hits the lips so hard you can feel a slight burn from the bubbles popping. It is a pleasant sensation. Overall, nice sourness to it, very drinkable due to the heavy carb, though I feel to much of this would both upset my stomach and overpower my senses...too much oakiness for me. (765 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to TPatuto (Tom) for this one. Shared with capra12 and schen9303 at an Upland tasting. Poured from a corked and caged bottle (batch 77-08, bottled 2/25/10) into a Darkness snifter.

Pours a 1 finger froth, white head with moderate retention. Beer is a slightly cloudy pale orange-yellow. No lacing. Average given the style.

Nose is plastic, Brett funk, and very light and crisp persimmon pulp. Not overly mellow and the fruit flavors are hidden almost completely. There's an odd but enjoyable berlinger-weisse-like scent going on here though.

Opens spicy and slightly sweet. Persimmon towards the middle with some sweet hay and plastic. Brett and band-aid on the finish which is lightly tart and crisp. No aftertaste. The flavor here is incredibly light but very refreshing. Fruit comes forward but it's not dominant.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth with some bubbles going down. Again, very clean and crsip mouthfeel. Clean finish with no aftertaste. Super easy to drink.

This is my favorite offering of the Upland fruit lambics. The persimmon doesn't come on strong but something about it makes this beer very subtle, easy to drink, and infinitely quenching. I could have this one over and over again. (1,259 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

8/13/2010

Bottle shared by DeaconBluez, thanks Chip! Pours light straw colored with a frothy white head.

The aroma has a strong persimmon presence with light lactic notes and some candied sweetness. Notes of buttery oak are evident, accompanied by light Bretty wet leather notes and a little wood.

The flavor is butter oak and slightly spicy, with a lactic persimmon character and a light moderate sourness. The finish is dry and fruity, with lingering tannins and oak. A very drinkable and surprisingly enjoyable sour beer. (527 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 3/15/2011, batch 71-09.

Appearance - It's a gusher. Big white head on a hazy yellow orange body. Thin collar after it settles and only a couple small islands of bubbles.

Smell - Lots of citrus. Never had a persimmon, so I can't compare it. Musty and a touch acidic.

Taste - Very sour. Fruity, less citrusy than the nose, but a definite orange-like taste. A little grainy. Finishes with some acetic sourness.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Makes it seem effervescent. Drinkably light.

Overall - Not really lambicky, but a nice American sour. Much better than the Kiwi I had a couple weeks ago. (642 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -6%

750 ml bottle opened by the guys at the Upland table at the GLBF. We waited for these three for about half an hour. About a 2 oz pour in our tasters.

A - First pour from the bottle, it comes out clear and pale yellow. No head at all on this one. I know low retention is expected for an acid-filled lambic, but no head at all?

S - Immediate, unmistakable gueuze lambic aroma bursts out with strong lactic acid. A hint of that barf aroma in there pokes out around some sweet fruity hints that linger in the background.

T - Light fruity sweet notes linger behind the sour, lactic acid flavor. Fairly one-dimensional but tasty regardless.

M - Light-bodied with a mild sweetness on the back end that's overshadowed by a highly carbonated, sour finish.

D - Good drinkability, it would be best shared with a few people but it's a nice beer regardless. (849 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottle provided by DeaconBluez. Thanks, Chip. I like persimmons and I like lambic, so this was interesting to try.

This one gushed a bit as we opened it, though we managed to salvage the majority of the bottle. The beer rests in the glass a pale blond color with moderate haze and no head or lacing, though there's plenty of carbonation.

Nice fruitiness to the nose, the persimmon stands out, and it's backed by lactic and acetic sourness that, combined with the fruit, is almost like sour hard candy. Beneath that there's a bit of aspirin, mild funk and wood.

Tart and fruity on the tongue, persimmon shines through nicely. It's highly carbonated, excessively so, which thins the body a bit and blurs the flavors slightly. I get an herbal, almost medicinal or aspirin-like flavor mid-palate. Refreshing stuff, very quaffable, we finished the bottle in about 10 minutes and I could have gone for another pour. It's only mildly sour, though quite dry, especially in the finish which does display a bit of oak and tannin. It's a nice thirst-quenching beer, not particularly outstanding in any way but very good. (1,112 characters)

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle. Bottled 2/25/10.

The beer pours a milky, pale yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the persimmons with quite a bit of tartness mixed in. I also get some citrus fruits, mainly apricots and oranges.

The flavor is similar. In addition to persimmon and bready malts, I get some oranges, lemons and some nice tartness. Not incredibly sour, but tart enough to be very easy to drink.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (485 characters)

Pours a very light yellow hazy liquid, violent inside with a creamy white head. The nose is sweeter than the peach with some mineral notes up front. Lots of fruity aromas, peaches, mango, light touch of sour in the nose. There is a tang on the fruits which I am told is the persimmon (never had one). The taste is balanced and subtl, lightly sweet, hints of tang with a faint mineral brett note. There is some spice in the back and a nice level of sourness, not overpowering but adds depth and is balanced wel. The feel is creamy, lively carbonation, rather dry, light crispness in the finish. (593 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%

750ml bottle thanks to Mike (Thorpe)!

A - Pours a light reddish/gold color, fizzy off-white head, slightly hazy, some spotty lacing and a nice cap on top.

S - Very light notes of many different things. Some tart/sour, persimmon, oak. All very light, nothing over-the-top and all ready subdued.

T - Very similar to the nose. Light tart/sour, really no funk, persimmon, some spice, a hint of oak.

M - Light, fizzy carbonation, dry finish.

D - Super chugable. Very easy to drink and my pour vanished quickly. Not an outstanding lambic by any means, just good and easy to drink. Upland keeps getting better and better every batch they make. (643 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottle (2010)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MeisterSmudge!

Light in color than I anticipated, but maybe only because I'm comparing it to the "persimmon colored" label on the outside of the bottle. Clear light golden with a small ring of near-white bubbles atop. Leaves the glass nearly clean, though it does leaves an oily sheen down the glass.

An interesting aroma, and nothing like I've had in the past. Persimmon character, bright and expressive, along with some lemon, and a somewhat strange paint thinner aroma, unfortunately, most likely from the yeast.

The flavor is better than the aroma, as the paint thinner flavor (no, I've ever drank paint thinner) is fairly well hidden, big sour character, persimmon, lemon, and some mild, though in this case, complementary Band-Aid flavor. Very drinkable, even with the strange flavors noted.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

I've had this beer a number of times now, and I think it was best nearly a year ago. Drink up now if you have it! It's most certainly not getting any better, though will probably always be a very tasty, flavorful, very sour beer. (1,112 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottled on February 25, 2010. Opened on April 8, 2011 with the lady friend.

Pours a hazy, straw yellow with one finger of head that recedes to scattered bubbles on top of the glass. Second pours feature suspended particles of yeast. Nice coloring, but wanting in clarity.

Nose features tangerine, light citric acid, and yards of pineapple and pity mustiness. Fascinating blend of funk and tropical fruit, there's a certain quality I can't quite pin down. Slight spice peeks through.

The flavor really captures persimmons: sweet, sour, spicy. Mostly citrus fruit, though not overly acidic like a number of wild ales tend towards. A really light tartness and tanginess mid-palate follows the sweet and citric fruit, complemented by a minerality and prunus fruit / peach pittiness. It rides the thin line between subtle and too-watered-down.

Medium to medium-thin bodied, medium-high champagne-like carbonation. Just a bit too watery mid- to late-palate.

A nice beer. I can't wait to try this one fresh in a few months to really experience the persimmon, but this has a nice bretty depth and the persimmon is a fantastic conduit for the wild parts of this beer, providing soft sweetness, tanginess, and spiciness. I'd love to see this with a more refined wild base and anticipate the second batch being even better. (1,317 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

So far, this is the best of the Upland lambics that I have had. Better than kiwi, raspberry, and strawberry, well, maybe not strawberry.

Resembles a watered down mountain dew with some pretty active bubbles.

Smells like what I imagine a persimmon smells like. Peach-like, possibly? Definitely more fruity smelling than the others that I have had.

Taste has more of that nice fruit flavor, almost tastes like the outside of a peach. Pretty sour, its no Cantillon, but what is? The fruit flavor lingers for quite awhile and is very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue, very active carbonation, too much for me.

It doesn't get you all the way in the back like Cantillon does but all in all, a pleasant beverage to share with friends. Too much to finish in one sitting. (793 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Split with my girlfriend. Pours a bright yellow with a gigantic head that settles fairly quickly. I think after settling my glass was only 1/4 full.

Smells of persimmons with some lemon, pepper and a lot of funk going on.

Taste is very tart upfront. Much more so than I was expecting, but it wasn't bad. Rounds out into some lemony/persimmon flavor with a touch of funk at the end.

Bubbly, but not a gusher for me. Good carbonation. Good light lambic.

Been waiting to try this one for a while as I had a friend who made persimmon wine back home. Good flavor and nothing is terribly overpowering. Very good job by my local brewer. (633 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

Stuck this in the freezer for 15 minutes and I still only had to touch the cork for it to fire off. Have a bowl ready.

Pour is like a hazy, dirty pineapple juice. The nose is pretty light - a bit of funk, hay, lemon, peach, but all very reserved. The taste is like a poor mans blend of Fou Foune and Beatification. Acidic and funky, but only somewhat. This makes the beer quite drinkable. The fruit lends a light bit of sweetness, but in general, the fruit is very reserved. There is a touch of lemon rind, but all without the bite. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but light in body. Very nice. Overall, the lack of overbearing sourness makes it highly drinkable, but makes this beer a bit boring. Enjoyable to a point, but this beer could use some bigger fruit flavor.

[Edit: I think I had this way to quickly after it came out. Since had it and it was one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. Smell adjusted up] (921 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a clear pale yellow. Almost colourless. A bit of white head. Doesn't really look that great. Smells sweet and fruity. The persimmon aroma is great . Incredible fruit aroma. Tastes very tart. The fruit is simple and enjoyable. A bit more sour than i would like but well carbonated and overall pretty darn enjoyable. (320 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle to oversized snifter. Looks good; light and inviting. Smells nice; this was my first encounter with the fruit persimmon, but it smells great, especially alongside the tartness of the lambic. Tastes solid; light and tart with a pleasant fruit unlike anything I've ever come across. Mouthfeel is good too. Overall, a very tasty brew that I'll definitely seek out again! (374 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A big thanks to Mike (thorpe429) for bringing this beer, my first Upland lambic. On removing the cork the beer started a steady flow of foam, slow enough for containment as Mike expected this to happen. It pours a very light lemon shade, bright and pale, just a little haze, nice foam.

What an aroma, this is earthy and tart, fruity in a way that must be persimmony. Delicious too, not extremely sour but still some lactic bite. Light fruit like peach/apricot/persimmon (I guess).

Light bodied, spritzy, maybe a little low in carbonation versus my expectation from the gushing, nice mouthfeel though. Recommended. (616 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to kkipple for sharing this at a dirty south tasting!

Appearance: Straw apricot honey yellow; very murky (2011 batch was a big-time gusher)

Smell: An interestingly sour beer; I assume from the persimmon, also some notes of apricot, peach, and oak

Taste: Nice sour, funky earthy fruitiness. I need to try a real persimmon, not sure that I ever had; after that I get some peach, apricot and oak.

Mouthfeel: nice medium to full body with appropriate medium level of carbonation

Drinkability: Interesting but needs a bit more fruit, I've now tried a few batches of this one. (582 characters)

Persimmon Lambic from Upland Brewing Company