Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Persimmon LambicPersimmon Lambic

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010)

1.25/5  rDev -70.6%

1.5/5  rDev -64.7%

2.75/5  rDev -35.3%

2.78/5  rDev -34.6%

Thanks to Masterski for sending this along last month. Shared this bottle with Jctribe last night.

Well, we had a GUSHER!!!.. Seriously, this bottle was never shaken or disturbed. As I released the cage, I noticed the cork was moving out on it’s own right away. I popped it and thought we struck oil. 1/2 the bottle was immediately all over my coffee table.

After finally getting the situation under control we poured the beer and it was a very hazy dull pale yellow/straw color. Not sure if this is what it’s supposed to be or if the sediment was suspended in the remaining beer. A touch of fizzy white head capped the beer.

Aroma was so thick and perfume like it was unreal. I used to work in a produce department, so I’ve had Persimmons, but it’s been years. The smell was a bit familiar, but it also was so strong and perfume like that it seems a woman put on way too much. Almost chemical like.

Flavor was also very perfume like filled with a flavor that matched the distinct fruit notes in the aroma. But the chemical like flavor or just overbearing perfume was also center stage. After this initial hit there was a lot of vanilla and oak.

Strangely smooth and silky mouth feel. Would have to guess that the suspended yeast and knocked down carbonation contributed to this.

I have to say I wasn’t the biggest fan here, but I am happy I had the opportunity.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

2012 bottling shared with the wife, sister-in-law and father--in-law...750ml.

Where to begin? The allure of well crafted persimmon lambic had me intrigued from the get-go. While a nice sweet and somewhat restrained fruit, my hope was that it could be a showcase fruit around a nice soft and rounded sour beer. Sound and rounded have no further place in this review.

This is the beer that the marketers of Zantac envision their users overdosing after: an overpowering, no-holds-barred acidic beer that takes the persimmon and strangles the ever loving piss out of it. Tomato paste consistency, little to no carb, and heavy on the palate.

While I though I erred on the side of enjoying highly sour fruited beers, this beer just put that to the test. All sour, muddled fruit, no finesse....a rough go and a downer.

3.41/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Vintage 2011, shared by Jason during the Super Bowl. Served in a snifter.

A: Moderately hazy pale yellow/orange colored body with a quickly diminishing head. No lacing or retention of any kind.

S: Tart and sweet fruits (I've never had a persimmon before but I'll assume that's what fruit I'm picking up here). Funk, grains and perhaps some melon notes.

T: Initially a lot of tartness up front with some funk character. The fruit is here mid-palate, it's strange. Not bad but certainly nothing outstanding. Melon-like qualities are here again. Finish is quite dry and cuts off quickly.

M: A bit too carbonated. Very bubbly and sudsy on the palate, even for the style it could be toned back just a bit. Crisp and clean though.

This was decent. Personally I think this is rated a bit higher than it needs to be. An interesting fruited "lambic" for sure, but nothing I'd need to revisit.

3.46/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%