Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Persimmon LambicPersimmon Lambic

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

ehammond1

Bottle (2010)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MeisterSmudge!

Light in color than I anticipated, but maybe only because I'm comparing it to the "persimmon colored" label on the outside of the bottle. Clear light golden with a small ring of near-white bubbles atop. Leaves the glass nearly clean, though it does leaves an oily sheen down the glass.

An interesting aroma, and nothing like I've had in the past. Persimmon character, bright and expressive, along with some lemon, and a somewhat strange paint thinner aroma, unfortunately, most likely from the yeast.

The flavor is better than the aroma, as the paint thinner flavor (no, I've ever drank paint thinner) is fairly well hidden, big sour character, persimmon, lemon, and some mild, though in this case, complementary Band-Aid flavor. Very drinkable, even with the strange flavors noted.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

I've had this beer a number of times now, and I think it was best nearly a year ago. Drink up now if you have it! It's most certainly not getting any better, though will probably always be a very tasty, flavorful, very sour beer.

01-20-2013 06:45:08 | More by ehammond1
Sean9689

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

750ml bottle thanks to Mike (Thorpe)!

A - Pours a light reddish/gold color, fizzy off-white head, slightly hazy, some spotty lacing and a nice cap on top.

S - Very light notes of many different things. Some tart/sour, persimmon, oak. All very light, nothing over-the-top and all ready subdued.

T - Very similar to the nose. Light tart/sour, really no funk, persimmon, some spice, a hint of oak.

M - Light, fizzy carbonation, dry finish.

D - Super chugable. Very easy to drink and my pour vanished quickly. Not an outstanding lambic by any means, just good and easy to drink. Upland keeps getting better and better every batch they make.

12-10-2010 23:29:14 | More by Sean9689
Verecund

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottled on February 25, 2010. Opened on April 8, 2011 with the lady friend.

Pours a hazy, straw yellow with one finger of head that recedes to scattered bubbles on top of the glass. Second pours feature suspended particles of yeast. Nice coloring, but wanting in clarity.

Nose features tangerine, light citric acid, and yards of pineapple and pity mustiness. Fascinating blend of funk and tropical fruit, there's a certain quality I can't quite pin down. Slight spice peeks through.

The flavor really captures persimmons: sweet, sour, spicy. Mostly citrus fruit, though not overly acidic like a number of wild ales tend towards. A really light tartness and tanginess mid-palate follows the sweet and citric fruit, complemented by a minerality and prunus fruit / peach pittiness. It rides the thin line between subtle and too-watered-down.

Medium to medium-thin bodied, medium-high champagne-like carbonation. Just a bit too watery mid- to late-palate.

A nice beer. I can't wait to try this one fresh in a few months to really experience the persimmon, but this has a nice bretty depth and the persimmon is a fantastic conduit for the wild parts of this beer, providing soft sweetness, tanginess, and spiciness. I'd love to see this with a more refined wild base and anticipate the second batch being even better.

04-09-2011 02:39:24 | More by Verecund
Urbancaver

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a clear pale yellow. Almost colourless. A bit of white head. Doesn't really look that great. Smells sweet and fruity. The persimmon aroma is great . Incredible fruit aroma. Tastes very tart. The fruit is simple and enjoyable. A bit more sour than i would like but well carbonated and overall pretty darn enjoyable.

10-16-2011 21:17:09 | More by Urbancaver
jmarsh123

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Split with my girlfriend. Pours a bright yellow with a gigantic head that settles fairly quickly. I think after settling my glass was only 1/4 full.

Smells of persimmons with some lemon, pepper and a lot of funk going on.

Taste is very tart upfront. Much more so than I was expecting, but it wasn't bad. Rounds out into some lemony/persimmon flavor with a touch of funk at the end.

Bubbly, but not a gusher for me. Good carbonation. Good light lambic.

Been waiting to try this one for a while as I had a friend who made persimmon wine back home. Good flavor and nothing is terribly overpowering. Very good job by my local brewer.

09-21-2011 15:21:08 | More by jmarsh123
b3shine

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle to oversized snifter. Looks good; light and inviting. Smells nice; this was my first encounter with the fruit persimmon, but it smells great, especially alongside the tartness of the lambic. Tastes solid; light and tart with a pleasant fruit unlike anything I've ever come across. Mouthfeel is good too. Overall, a very tasty brew that I'll definitely seek out again!

03-31-2012 02:32:38 | More by b3shine
antoines15

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

So far, this is the best of the Upland lambics that I have had. Better than kiwi, raspberry, and strawberry, well, maybe not strawberry.

Resembles a watered down mountain dew with some pretty active bubbles.

Smells like what I imagine a persimmon smells like. Peach-like, possibly? Definitely more fruity smelling than the others that I have had.

Taste has more of that nice fruit flavor, almost tastes like the outside of a peach. Pretty sour, its no Cantillon, but what is? The fruit flavor lingers for quite awhile and is very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue, very active carbonation, too much for me.

It doesn't get you all the way in the back like Cantillon does but all in all, a pleasant beverage to share with friends. Too much for me and my SB to finish in one sitting.

11-19-2011 23:18:16 | More by antoines15
TurdFurgison

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

A big thanks to Mike (thorpe429) for bringing this beer, my first Upland lambic. On removing the cork the beer started a steady flow of foam, slow enough for containment as Mike expected this to happen. It pours a very light lemon shade, bright and pale, just a little haze, nice foam.

What an aroma, this is earthy and tart, fruity in a way that must be persimmony. Delicious too, not extremely sour but still some lactic bite. Light fruit like peach/apricot/persimmon (I guess).

Light bodied, spritzy, maybe a little low in carbonation versus my expectation from the gushing, nice mouthfeel though. Recommended.

12-05-2010 00:50:47 | More by TurdFurgison
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to kkipple for sharing this at a dirty south tasting!

Appearance: Straw apricot honey yellow; very murky (2011 batch was a big-time gusher)

Smell: An interestingly sour beer; I assume from the persimmon, also some notes of apricot, peach, and oak

Taste: Nice sour, funky earthy fruitiness. I need to try a real persimmon, not sure that I ever had; after that I get some peach, apricot and oak.

Mouthfeel: nice medium to full body with appropriate medium level of carbonation

Drinkability: Interesting but needs a bit more fruit, I've now tried a few batches of this one.

05-21-2012 20:24:39 | More by craytonic
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for giving me this one during our MASSIVE in-person trade when he came down to visit! Thanks Al! Slight gusher! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart, sour, subtle funk, passion fruit, persimmon, and slight sour apple. The flavor was of sweet malt, persimmon, tropical fruit, tart, sour, and a very slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a solid brew. I really have to say, that I quite enjoyed this one. I have had a lot of these in the series and this one is definitely up there as far as one of my favorites. The persimmon is definitely the star of the show on this one and keeps reminding you of this fact throughout every sip. A really well done brew that should be tried by anyone who likes the style or persimmon. You won't be disappointed.

12-11-2011 01:30:17 | More by thagr81us
jrallen34

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle thanks to Michael Thorpe, thanks a lot for finally allowing me to try this...A gusher so in the freezer this went, then opened outside. A light cloudy gold, really nice and full white head. Good retention and lacing...I really like the aroma, its super unique, sweetness I've yet to encounter so I attribute that to the persimmons with a nice amount of sourness to balance it out...The taste is similar to the aroma a sweet fruity tart beer. Super easy to drink, a great palate quencher, this beer was crushed the fastest of the night.

Unique and worth trying, but I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with persimmons before you do so.

12-07-2010 04:02:28 | More by jrallen34
womencantsail

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Thank you to Mark for sharing this bottle at Sour Fest. A new sour beer is always welcomed by me.

A: The pour is a light yellow with some hints of orange and maybe even pink. The head is big, sturdy, and white and there is a lot of carbonation.

S: The fruit character is there, but somewhat light. A bit of spice, lemon and lemon zest, what I would assume is persimmon, and a slightly earthy funk.

T: The nose was a bit subdued, but there is a nice flavor to this beer. Quite a bit of different fruit character, with the persimmons, lemons, green apples, and some tropical fruit notes (pineapple, mango, maybe even some papaya).

M: The body is fairly light, which was nice for the very hot day. But, this is just far too carbonated for its own good.

D: This was a really easy beer to drink, as a lambic should be. I liked the flavors a lot, but you need to let the carbonation die down for quite some time before you can get the full enjoyment.

07-22-2010 19:18:33 | More by womencantsail
koopa

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle shared by beerloco at an epic tasting last night. Thanks for the opportunity Alan!

Appearance: Pours an attractive pale straw with a 1 finger white crown that displays moderate retention and medium lace.

Smell: Slight brett wildness and a faint almost mandarin like citrus quality.

Taste: Same as nose.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied with ample soft carbonation. Nice!

Drinkability: Sessionable!

A pleasant surprise....

01-23-2011 15:15:59 | More by koopa
tjkinate

Nebraska

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Best sour beer I have had, which I must admit isn't many.

A: A short lived single fingered bright white head forms atop this deep yellow, partly cloudy brew leaving no lacing in its wake.

S: Strong scents filled with what I assume are persimmons, along with other acidic fruits. Brett funkiness shows its face, but isn't as prominent as in others from similar varieties. Made my mouth water.

T: Big sour front, much more prominent than the smell led me to believe. Fruit does follow nicely, but I still wish they were stronger. Like the smell, the Brett funkiness is more subtle than others.

M: Highly carbonated, crisp, medium light.

O: Best I have had of the variety, but these sour beers really aren't my favorite.

11-18-2011 18:40:24 | More by tjkinate
Habmike

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Dan for sharing this one.

Glowing yellow and straw color with white head. Very light lacing and retention.

Lightly adicid with an odd funky nose. Sour in different ways, not just the typical.

Crazy weird sour fruityness that seems dimensional. Lemony citrus but not harsh in lemon acidity. Like I had said in the nose the flavors are also odd but not unwelcome.

Good medium mouthfeel with great carbonation.

The oddity in flavor dings the drinkability of this beer some but I'm sure I could still enjoy a healthy portion of it.

11-14-2010 23:40:21 | More by Habmike
AgentZero

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pale yellow color, quite hazy. Not a ton of head on this. No lacing.

S - I've never had a persimmon before, but this has got to be what the fruit taste is that I smell. Sweet and acetic, and slightly tart.

T - Distinctive taste of persimmon (or what my concept of it is). A nice tartness leads to a sugary sweetness that manages not to stick to your teeth. This is very easy to drink, despite a stong presence of sour and fruit.

M - Smooth, light, not tons of carbonation.

D - Super easy to drink, with friends or by yourself. Good beer.

12-05-2010 00:43:08 | More by AgentZero
Beerisheaven

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Major thanks to two fine BA'ers, Patchmaster and Kstrickler for doing some work to get me this and the Kiwi. I really appreciate it guys.

Was looking forward to this and decided to take the plunge outside in State College before the Penn State Alabama game last weekend.

Very interesting beer. I had read some comments on the fact that these bad boys are excited to come out of the bottle so I was prepared with pitcher under opening.

A loud pop and immediate overflow. I had this baby ice cold so I probably collected about a half of glass before it finally settled down.

A - Huge head that deflated faster than the Beaver Stadium crowd last Saturday. Straw yellow and a spec of orange in the glass after the head died down. A couple of happy bubbles too. Dinged a bit for the overflow and immediate retreat of the head.

S - Very enticing. Some oak, fruit, funk, & acid dominate.

T - Very enjoyable. Slightly funky but not overpowering. Touch of guava, lemon, grape, and other tropical fruit to go along with some oak and maybe a little pepper. Very nice, I think that this is a good beer for people who do not enjoy an overpowering sour.

M - Very crisp and delightful.

O - Really glad to have got the opportunity here and really glad that I have a couple more in the cellar. I think I am going to try all of their offerings. This made me interested in the full lineup.

Thanks again to Patch and Strick for lending a helping hand.

09-15-2011 18:36:25 | More by Beerisheaven
schwaeh

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

I went crazy getting ready for this round of lambic and it wasn't really necessary. Low carbonation.

A: Pours a very light lemongrass color. No head at all, this looks like dead Hottenroth. There is some bubbles sitting around in the glass but overall this could have used some time to possibly develop some carbonation.

S: The smell is crazy fruity, with tons of funk going on. Smells of some sharp sourness and acidity, hopefully that carries over. This has the complexity of a gueuze with lots of fruit character on top of that. Possibly my favorite smelling lambic to date.

T: This is fairly sour with some lemony tartness. I think the light spice and citrus from the persimmon(never had one) brings it back from the point of being really puckering. This makes me think persimmon is like lemon-lime. Just like the nose, this has lots of funk and fruit-a very complex and refreshing flavor combo. The buggy oak barrels gave this some great qualities. Highly acidic

M: Very low carbonation-not what I expected. This feels slightly thin bodied and oily.

O: I was very dissapointed by the non-existent carbonation. Other than that the flavors of this really redeemed it. Its very complex and refreshing. A very good lambic, I think this is just a bad bottle.

09-02-2011 23:56:41 | More by schwaeh
bmanning

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Shared by Thorpe429 at a recent tasting - thanks Mike!
A: After exploding out the cork and gushing, it pours a hazy goldish orange with thin white head.

S: I can smell the persimmon first off, which is like unripe peaches, pineapple, and grape. There is not a lot of sourness or funk in the nose - it's pretty mild really. There is a little bit of orange, wood and vanilla coming through as well.

T: Thorpe429 explains the taste a lot better than I would. It's very mild for a lambic, but that's not bad, just different. I kind of like the slightly tart quality to this beer, as the persimmon really shines through better than if it were really sour. The persimmon flavor tastes like a milder apricot with orange zest.

M: Although it was a gusher, the carbonation is a bit on the thin side (maybe because it was a gusher?). It coated the palate nicely however.

D: Overall I like this beer, and the tart rather than sour flavor does it well. I have high hopes for my only bottle. Although it is good now, I hope it will get better with a year of age and perhaps the flavors will further develop.

05-04-2010 17:16:30 | More by bmanning