Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

750 ml bottle opened by the guys at the Upland table at the GLBF. We waited for these three for about half an hour. About a 2 oz pour in our tasters.

A - First pour from the bottle, it comes out clear and pale yellow. No head at all on this one. I know low retention is expected for an acid-filled lambic, but no head at all?

S - Immediate, unmistakable gueuze lambic aroma bursts out with strong lactic acid. A hint of that barf aroma in there pokes out around some sweet fruity hints that linger in the background.

T - Light fruity sweet notes linger behind the sour, lactic acid flavor. Fairly one-dimensional but tasty regardless.

M - Light-bodied with a mild sweetness on the back end that's overshadowed by a highly carbonated, sour finish.

D - Good drinkability, it would be best shared with a few people but it's a nice beer regardless.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to Will for crossing off another huge want on my list. This one immediately gushed with the pop of the cork, but luckily too much beer wasn't lost before we were able to pour it into our glasses. It's a light orange-y, pale straw, pear-ish kind of color that's completely and utterly opaque. The white head is volatile, fizzy, and loud, and is literally wiped from existence within seconds of the pour.

Wow, the aroma is quite unlike anything I've smelled before. Eccentrically citrusy, with reminders of orange and lemon, but there's a nebulous fruitiness that I have yet to encounter - must be the persimmons. I haven't had a persimmon before, but smelling this beer really makes me want to go out and find one. Because if they smell like this, they must be good.

I love the pureness of the aroma; it smells like you're walking through a ripe patch of fruit. Highly authentic, and I don't even know what persimmon smells like. Ripe fruit skins, mild sweetness, a hint of tart acidity, and a faint underbrushing of grass that really ties everything together. At this point, I'm not getting much (if any) funk or Brett, but the fruit aspect is enough to blow me away.

The taste is miles ahead of the aroma in terms of perceivable sourness, but it still remains decadent and easy to swallow without puckering your ass or burning a hole in your stomach lining too much. It's incredibly fruity, again with that somewhat uncharted flavor that I can only assume must be from the persimmon. Digging deeper reveals some orange and pear, too.

Once the tartness calms a bit and the raw fruitiness begins to wind down, the oak becomes noticeable with just a light hint of Bretty funk and a touch sweetness in the undercurrent. This creates a nice, dry, and savory finish that gives the perfect closure to a fantastically fruity, juicy, tart, and lightly sweet beer, much unlike the series finale of The Sopranos. Effervescent on the palate, thin bodied and crisp, carbonated pretty heavily.

This was the first time my body has ingested any form of persimmon or even persimmon flavor, and it was quite delicious. I can't help but feel that I'll be let down once I get my hands on the actual fruit itself. Persimmon Lambic is so delightfully pure and raw by nature, though, and sour fanatics will have no trouble enjoying this beer. Makes me want the rest of the Upland Lambic series now.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for giving me this one during our MASSIVE in-person trade when he came down to visit! Thanks Al! Slight gusher! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart, sour, subtle funk, passion fruit, persimmon, and slight sour apple. The flavor was of sweet malt, persimmon, tropical fruit, tart, sour, and a very slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a solid brew. I really have to say, that I quite enjoyed this one. I have had a lot of these in the series and this one is definitely up there as far as one of my favorites. The persimmon is definitely the star of the show on this one and keeps reminding you of this fact throughout every sip. A really well done brew that should be tried by anyone who likes the style or persimmon. You won't be disappointed.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Pale yellow color, quite hazy. Not a ton of head on this. No lacing.

S - I've never had a persimmon before, but this has got to be what the fruit taste is that I smell. Sweet and acetic, and slightly tart.

T - Distinctive taste of persimmon (or what my concept of it is). A nice tartness leads to a sugary sweetness that manages not to stick to your teeth. This is very easy to drink, despite a stong presence of sour and fruit.

M - Smooth, light, not tons of carbonation.

D - Super easy to drink, with friends or by yourself. Good beer.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Shared with JLindros.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice hazy light straw hue with some thin head that faded to leave light wisps and halo.

S - Aromas of big sour acid, lactic, faint faint fruit, light sour tart.

T - Taste is lemon, persimmons, absurdly sour. Seriously, this is just unnecessarily sour. Huge lactic acid, burns the throat it's so sour. More sour than sucking on a lemon! Tasty for sure but yeah...in your face sour. Super tart, assertive, lemon rind. Complete overkill, but in a good way.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, crisp, clean, WHAM sour.

O - Overall this beer was way more sour then I thought it would be. Aromatic, tasty, very impressive that it could be so sour yet still drinkable.

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a tulip. 03-15-2011/71-09 Batch. Thanks to Matt for sharing!

(A)- Pours a very cloudy pale yellow color. A good cap of white froth.

(S)- Very vibrant fresh fruit smell. I do not know much about Persimmons, but this has loads of kiwi, peach, apricot, and lemon with just a kiss of dry oak.

(T)- Wow, again, a huge vibrant fruit profile. Bits of oak, but this is primarily and sour fruit bomb.

(M)- A rather large carbonation level. A great fruit profile to it, but a touch high on the carbonation level.

(D)- Despite the high carbonation level, the fruit profile in this is quite fresh and refreshing/vibrant. Not a ton of funk or oak characters, but the sour fruit is full force. Looking forward to seeing how this develops over time.

Pours a very light yellow hazy liquid, violent inside with a creamy white head. The nose is sweeter than the peach with some mineral notes up front. Lots of fruity aromas, peaches, mango, light touch of sour in the nose. There is a tang on the fruits which I am told is the persimmon (never had one). The taste is balanced and subtl, lightly sweet, hints of tang with a faint mineral brett note. There is some spice in the back and a nice level of sourness, not overpowering but adds depth and is balanced wel. The feel is creamy, lively carbonation, rather dry, light crispness in the finish.

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%

A: This poured a cloudy light straw color with quickly dissipating white head.
S: It smelled like tons of tart persimmon and funky oak, with some pear and apricot and citrus zest.
T: It tasted like super tart persimmon and unripe apricot and oak, with some sweet pear and bitter citrus zest. It had a clean and very tart aftertaste with a little sweetness.
M: It was thin with tons of bubbly carbonation, like champagne.
D: This was a fantastic lambic with a unique scent and taste that were super clean and delicious. It was complex yet simplistic, with a fitting body and well hidden alcohol. So it was easy to drink, but amazing to sip and contemplate. Could probably age a long time. Lovely beer and highly recommended.

758th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
750ML C/C

Thanks to Bombadil for sharing @ Woodshop Classix

**Make sure to have a glass or bucket handy, this was a gusher from the word go**

App- A very soft soft yellow/orange with a one finger head and a ton of bubbles on it. Not much in the way of cling or lace either.

Smell- Huge juicy fruits with a lot of light acid. Has a bit of an orange jolly rancher nose to it.

Taste- The tangy persimmon flavor is quite prevalant on the beer. Had a nice balance of the dry oakiness with a little spritzy fruit acid and bubbles. Didn't overpower the fruit to make it undrinkable.

Mouth- A light body with a high carbonation level. Again this was like a jolly rancher but in liquid form.

Drink- A very good lambic. I have enjoyed all the variations that Upland is doing. This was dry, fruity, sweet and bubbly.

2.78/5  rDev -34.6%

Thanks to Masterski for sending this along last month. Shared this bottle with Jctribe last night.

Well, we had a GUSHER!!!.. Seriously, this bottle was never shaken or disturbed. As I released the cage, I noticed the cork was moving out on it’s own right away. I popped it and thought we struck oil. 1/2 the bottle was immediately all over my coffee table.

After finally getting the situation under control we poured the beer and it was a very hazy dull pale yellow/straw color. Not sure if this is what it’s supposed to be or if the sediment was suspended in the remaining beer. A touch of fizzy white head capped the beer.

Aroma was so thick and perfume like it was unreal. I used to work in a produce department, so I’ve had Persimmons, but it’s been years. The smell was a bit familiar, but it also was so strong and perfume like that it seems a woman put on way too much. Almost chemical like.

Flavor was also very perfume like filled with a flavor that matched the distinct fruit notes in the aroma. But the chemical like flavor or just overbearing perfume was also center stage. After this initial hit there was a lot of vanilla and oak.

Strangely smooth and silky mouth feel. Would have to guess that the suspended yeast and knocked down carbonation contributed to this.

I have to say I wasn’t the biggest fan here, but I am happy I had the opportunity.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Reviewed on 5/14/2010. Bottle thanks to FlssmrBrewAlum. Pours a cloudy light yellow with a thick white head and lively carbonation. Aroma of light funk and a sweet smelling fruit, which I'm guessing is the persimmon (I'm not familiar with the fruit). Flavor is very bready and malty with less funk and fruitiness coming out. Enjoyable and palatable but I wish that more of the persimmon came out in the flavor.

Persimmon Lambic from Upland Brewing Company