Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010

Ratings: 320 | Reviews: 76
4.06/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Split with my girlfriend. Pours a bright yellow with a gigantic head that settles fairly quickly. I think after settling my glass was only 1/4 full.

Smells of persimmons with some lemon, pepper and a lot of funk going on.

Taste is very tart upfront. Much more so than I was expecting, but it wasn't bad. Rounds out into some lemony/persimmon flavor with a touch of funk at the end.

Bubbly, but not a gusher for me. Good carbonation. Good light lambic.

Been waiting to try this one for a while as I had a friend who made persimmon wine back home. Good flavor and nothing is terribly overpowering. Very good job by my local brewer.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottled 3/15/2011.

Cork started shimmying its way out of the bottle as soon as the cage was removed. Stations everybody -- we've got a gusher! Still ended up with a couple nice-looking pours despite the carbonation issue. Murky yellow/manilla color, handsome white head.

Fresh, juicy persimmon dominates the aroma. Smells like I just squeezed a fresh fruit in my hands. Love it!

Taste follows the nose with loads of fresh fruit and a sharp, crisp tartness. Slightly pulpy; finishes clean and dry. Carbonation is still overly abundant even after giving my glass a timeout.

A great American sour, though the last bottle of this I had was certainly better (previous batch maybe?). Seek this one out -- it's worth it!

4.09/5  rDev -4%

Pours a clear pale yellow. Almost colourless. A bit of white head. Doesn't really look that great. Smells sweet and fruity. The persimmon aroma is great . Incredible fruit aroma. Tastes very tart. The fruit is simple and enjoyable. A bit more sour than i would like but well carbonated and overall pretty darn enjoyable.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Not sure who shared this bottle, but a big thanks. 750 ml bottle served in a Deschutes snifter. Bottle was a slight gusher.

A: Pours an extrememly cloudy yellow, very chilled haze, a white frothy head that leaves some swirls once it subsides.

S: Lots of fruits going on. I'm getting whiffs of mandarin oranges, a slight star fruit, a little pineapple. I guess this is what persimmon smells like? Either way it's very enjoyable.

T: Very nice tartness with a nice sweet orange and pineapple sweetness. It really tasted good and I'm a big fan of this persimmon fruit. Little oakiness in there as well.

M: Light to medium bodied with a nice sugary coating quality to it. Nice spritz of carbonation with a slight drying finish.

O: The persimmon fruit was very delicious and seemed to take on qualities of many differnt fruits. Not overly sweet and was very drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

So far, this is the best of the Upland lambics that I have had. Better than kiwi, raspberry, and strawberry, well, maybe not strawberry.

Resembles a watered down mountain dew with some pretty active bubbles.

Smells like what I imagine a persimmon smells like. Peach-like, possibly? Definitely more fruity smelling than the others that I have had.

Taste has more of that nice fruit flavor, almost tastes like the outside of a peach. Pretty sour, its no Cantillon, but what is? The fruit flavor lingers for quite awhile and is very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue, very active carbonation, too much for me.

It doesn't get you all the way in the back like Cantillon does but all in all, a pleasant beverage to share with friends. Too much to finish in one sitting.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to kkipple for sharing this at a dirty south tasting!

Appearance: Straw apricot honey yellow; very murky (2011 batch was a big-time gusher)

Smell: An interestingly sour beer; I assume from the persimmon, also some notes of apricot, peach, and oak

Taste: Nice sour, funky earthy fruitiness. I need to try a real persimmon, not sure that I ever had; after that I get some peach, apricot and oak.

Mouthfeel: nice medium to full body with appropriate medium level of carbonation

Drinkability: Interesting but needs a bit more fruit, I've now tried a few batches of this one.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Really excited to try this one last night. However, it did not live up to Upland's hype.

The bottle we got was infected, at least in terms of aroma. HUGE amounts of nail polish wiped away any others characteristics that might have come through.

Flavor, however, wasn't as bad. No nail polish, but not that fruity. I don't know what a persimmon tastes like, but either way I didn't get much. Just a grainy, sour bomb.

This is the 3rd Upland sour I have had and while I applaud an American brewery trying to make Lambics, they have missed the mark in my opinion and the product doesn't warrant the hype.

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

V I N E G A R !

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orangish yellow. Delicate nose with zero head.

Grapefruit tart. Almost like drinking the grapefruit juice at the bottom of the half of a grapefruit. Delicious and easy to sip on. Dry with an obvious tart finish on the back sides of the tongue.

Lovely

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hey cam thanks a bunch

A - clouded yellow, no foam, some random floating stuff

S - tart but sweet, umami

T - tart as hell. Bit spicy. Some fruit. Nice tart and funk

M - thin and light. Goes to foam somewhat

O - a strong tasting beer. Lots of tart. It's pretty dang good

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 03/2011.

Appearance: Upland Persimmon pours a semi hazy straw color with about 1" of white head. A moderate level of carbonation lends to decent head retention and lacing. Nice looking lambic, by far the best out of three lambic variants sampled.

Smell: Smells a musty and tart kind of citrus, with lacto tartness and sour lemons. The persimmons really make themselves known on the nose.

Taste: Lacto sourness and tart lemons up front, followed persimmon sweetness and tartness. Like the nose, the citrus character has a musty note to it. Very unique.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Very good feel. Overall, a very unique kind of lambic. I have never personally tried a persimmon, so I can't really compare, but in this case they seemed to add a lot to the beer. Probably the class of the three variants that were opened. Definitely a recommend.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle from 2008. Pours a fairly hazy peach with a large, loud head that recedes to nothing. Much like a berliner weiss, very weird. Nose is soft light fruits, a bit of barnyard, brett, and light sea salt. Kind of a soft orange/lemon in the mouth. Dry oak, lightly tart. Fizzy. Kind of a melon-like sweetness -- I actually eat persimmons fairly often and cook with them, and I can in fact pick them out here. This is more like a soft, spritzy berlinner weiss than a lambic, kind of in the vein of Festina Peche, but more refined and interesting. Little sourness to speak of. I really enjoy this, it's quite an interesting take and very well done.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Per BN website: "background courtesy of Head Brewer, Caleb Staton:" "...The persimmons were provided by Aaron Persinger, a local singer/songwriter who is currently the drummer for Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band. (The Rev himself is a certified Persimmon lover I've been told, can't wait to get him a bottle). Being a classic Indiana fruit, we couldn't resist, maybe one day we'll find enough local mulberries and bring another (as far as we know) first-ever fruit lambic-style to the lineup."

Vanessa (the bartender) served this chilled bottle with newtony, my buddy Dave and I at Upland brewing. I reserved this bottle in advance and asked her to pour/present it for us on the spot (no, it's not ordinarily available to buy/drink on the premises, sorry). We had this immediately after finishing up the Upland Kiwi Lambic in our freshly rinsed and dried wine glasses...

This one poured an entirely different color than the Kiwi - despite the fact the only difference is the fruit addition after aging (same lambic base beer with all their lambics, aged in the same massive oak tank resting right behind their bars big window). This one poured cloudy with apricot in color with yellow highlights. The head white bright white with compact bubbles and active carbonation streaming to the top.

The nose was quite unique and enjoyable. Though it was chilled before serving, I still got a moderate amount of pineapple-like qualties mixed with peach, light oak traces and mango. There was an almost pepper or lightly spicy quality to it, as well. Don't forget the main scent which was sourness and light funk. All together, it was a delicious smelling concoction.

The flavor wasn't as puckering as I was led to believe on the nose. The mix of peach, apricot, oak and tartness was done very well. There was a nice sweetness in the middle of the swallow that was very nice. I definitely got more persimmon in the flavor then I did Kiwi in the Kiwi Lambic. Both were very enjoyable in their own right.

The mouthfeel was light and crisp with high carbonation. Very dry and enjoyable.

I really liked this beer and hope they make it again!

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Review from notes.

This beer was a gusher! Luckily we knew ahead of time that it may be, so we opened it over a bowl, saving all of the precious that spewed out.

Pours a golden yellow, a LOT of carb with a white head, a lot of lacing that stayed around a while. Smelt a lot of funk, and citrus. Tastes slight funk, slight citrus and sour at the front, followed by a sour and heavy citrus finish. Very clean finish as well, I can definitely taste the persimmon on this one. Very drinkable, very refreshing. There is a lot of carb, feels great, right where it should be. I really wish I had another of these.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade from aasher as part of another amazing package. Been looking forward to the Upland lambics for a long time. Thanks again, Al!

Pouring into a Cantillon flute, this is a hazy straw color with a quick-to-recede 1-2 finger white foam. Viciously active carbonation streams steadily towards the surface.

Wonderfully inviting nose offers up a prominent persimmon presence mingling with leather, sour fruit, tobacco. Spice.

Persimmons on the palette, puckering tartness. Picking up a very light toasted quality, hint of vanilla. Perhaps this is the oak? Funk arrives fashionably late. Barnyard/leathery. Dry finish.

Light bodied, perky carbonation. Smooth despite the intense sourness.

Really enjoying this offering and absolutely looking forward to the strawberry and kiwi that arrived in the same box. Lovely persimmon fruit counterbalanced with the intense sourness and a lot of funk. Very drinkable, would definitely enjoy another bottle or two, were it not so limited.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 3-15?-11 (handwriting on bottle makes this unsure). Batch 71-09

Early pours are near crystal-clear lemmony yellow, hazier after that. Fizzy head bubbles up aggressively, but very little retention. Even with the head gone, the etched bottom of my glass yields a continual fizzing stream of bubbles that's audible from a considerable distance.

Smell is a great indicator of what's to come. Soft sour, great tart fruit, a little funky fresh-mown hay field. Notes of sweetness and fruity candy. I like it already.

I don't know what I expected, but the taste is pretty incredible, but different. Bright sour up front with a nice rolling persimmon behind it - never too dense or too strongly any one dimension. The persimmon is a wonderful soft, but full flavor while staying bright and crisp in the beer. Round sweetness of fleshy peach with Lemmon zest, fresh grass, and a tart ripeness filling to the end, followed by a clean full finish and faint fresh-grains flavor. Excellent. Only minor drawbacks are it could be more sour, and sweetness (overall rather pleasant) leaves a very faint soapy-clean aftertaste.

Carbonation is excellently balanced and nicely full, adding a brightness to the beer and interest on the tongue. Feel is medium to light bodied, thickening in the finish and clean after, a little left on the palate.

This beer really surprised me. The persimmon is an exciting new addition, and, I was pleasantly surprised and the great balance and overall character. I was a little wary of the carbonation, but was very satisfied with it's place fitting in nicely to the overall profile. Not as 'funky' as some, less emphasis on horselblanket and more on tart sour fruit and balance. I suppose that's the only thing I was left wanting more of, and yet, what's in the bottle is pretty incredible. Glad I opened it now; would have been great to hang on to for a year longer; wish I had another bottle.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%

Best sour beer I have had, which I must admit isn't many.

A: A short lived single fingered bright white head forms atop this deep yellow, partly cloudy brew leaving no lacing in its wake.

S: Strong scents filled with what I assume are persimmons, along with other acidic fruits. Brett funkiness shows its face, but isn't as prominent as in others from similar varieties. Made my mouth water.

T: Big sour front, much more prominent than the smell led me to believe. Fruit does follow nicely, but I still wish they were stronger. Like the smell, the Brett funkiness is more subtle than others.

M: Highly carbonated, crisp, medium light.

O: Best I have had of the variety, but these sour beers really aren't my favorite.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%

I went crazy getting ready for this round of lambic and it wasn't really necessary. Low carbonation.

A: Pours a very light lemongrass color. No head at all, this looks like dead Hottenroth. There is some bubbles sitting around in the glass but overall this could have used some time to possibly develop some carbonation.

S: The smell is crazy fruity, with tons of funk going on. Smells of some sharp sourness and acidity, hopefully that carries over. This has the complexity of a gueuze with lots of fruit character on top of that. Possibly my favorite smelling lambic to date.

T: This is fairly sour with some lemony tartness. I think the light spice and citrus from the persimmon(never had one) brings it back from the point of being really puckering. This makes me think persimmon is like lemon-lime. Just like the nose, this has lots of funk and fruit-a very complex and refreshing flavor combo. The buggy oak barrels gave this some great qualities. Highly acidic

M: Very low carbonation-not what I expected. This feels slightly thin bodied and oily.

O: I was very dissapointed by the non-existent carbonation. Other than that the flavors of this really redeemed it. Its very complex and refreshing. A very good lambic, I think this is just a bad bottle.

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottled on February 25, 2010. Opened on April 8, 2011 with the lady friend.

Pours a hazy, straw yellow with one finger of head that recedes to scattered bubbles on top of the glass. Second pours feature suspended particles of yeast. Nice coloring, but wanting in clarity.

Nose features tangerine, light citric acid, and yards of pineapple and pity mustiness. Fascinating blend of funk and tropical fruit, there's a certain quality I can't quite pin down. Slight spice peeks through.

The flavor really captures persimmons: sweet, sour, spicy. Mostly citrus fruit, though not overly acidic like a number of wild ales tend towards. A really light tartness and tanginess mid-palate follows the sweet and citric fruit, complemented by a minerality and prunus fruit / peach pittiness. It rides the thin line between subtle and too-watered-down.

Medium to medium-thin bodied, medium-high champagne-like carbonation. Just a bit too watery mid- to late-palate.

A nice beer. I can't wait to try this one fresh in a few months to really experience the persimmon, but this has a nice bretty depth and the persimmon is a fantastic conduit for the wild parts of this beer, providing soft sweetness, tanginess, and spiciness. I'd love to see this with a more refined wild base and anticipate the second batch being even better.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Major thanks to two fine BA'ers, Patchmaster and Kstrickler for doing some work to get me this and the Kiwi. I really appreciate it guys.

Was looking forward to this and decided to take the plunge outside in State College before the Penn State Alabama game last weekend.

Very interesting beer. I had read some comments on the fact that these bad boys are excited to come out of the bottle so I was prepared with pitcher under opening.

A loud pop and immediate overflow. I had this baby ice cold so I probably collected about a half of glass before it finally settled down.

A - Huge head that deflated faster than the Beaver Stadium crowd last Saturday. Straw yellow and a spec of orange in the glass after the head died down. A couple of happy bubbles too. Dinged a bit for the overflow and immediate retreat of the head.

S - Very enticing. Some oak, fruit, funk, & acid dominate.

T - Very enjoyable. Slightly funky but not overpowering. Touch of guava, lemon, grape, and other tropical fruit to go along with some oak and maybe a little pepper. Very nice, I think that this is a good beer for people who do not enjoy an overpowering sour.

M - Very crisp and delightful.

O - Really glad to have got the opportunity here and really glad that I have a couple more in the cellar. I think I am going to try all of their offerings. This made me interested in the full lineup.

Thanks again to Patch and Strick for lending a helping hand.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle to oversized snifter. Looks good; light and inviting. Smells nice; this was my first encounter with the fruit persimmon, but it smells great, especially alongside the tartness of the lambic. Tastes solid; light and tart with a pleasant fruit unlike anything I've ever come across. Mouthfeel is good too. Overall, a very tasty brew that I'll definitely seek out again!

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

opens with a burnt yellow and huge head. Tremendous hard fizzy head...and it keeps coming. nose is of sourness and hay. oaky presence from the barrel age process as well. Taste is first of wood bitterness and a sour fruit. The fruit blends right in with the wood...and I wish the two flavors were segregated more. I can't seem to appreciate the woody flavor here in this lambic. The persimmon is a nice sour fruit flavor...wish it was more dominant. mouthfeel is crisp. A rush of fizz hits the lips so hard you can feel a slight burn from the bubbles popping. It is a pleasant sensation. Overall, nice sourness to it, very drinkable due to the heavy carb, though I feel to much of this would both upset my stomach and overpower my senses...too much oakiness for me.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Big thanks to Romulux for this long time want. Cheers!
bottle into Bruery Tulip

Color: Quite beautiful. A hazy pale orange straw color with shades of pale dull yellow. This beer leaves behind no lacing at all and the one finger white head that forms after you pour reduces itself to a dime size ring around the glass.

Nose: Great! Nice fruit profile with all the typical lambic features: Oak, barnyard funk, hay, hints of the wild yeast. The persimmon floats in the beer, but its not over powering on the nose.

Palate: Everything you want and need. Tart/sour on the tongue followed by small waves of citrus, grass, hay, and oak. Some lemon and orange peel bring up the rear, but its so welcomed. Very Balanced and drinkable. The carbonation is a bit high, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Finish: Dry and tart. Complex and fruit forward, with a balanced integration of funk and earthiness. This lambic is a success and a total treat.

Rating: 95 out of 100

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Shared by Thorpe429 at a recent tasting - thanks Mike!
A: After exploding out the cork and gushing, it pours a hazy goldish orange with thin white head.

S: I can smell the persimmon first off, which is like unripe peaches, pineapple, and grape. There is not a lot of sourness or funk in the nose - it's pretty mild really. There is a little bit of orange, wood and vanilla coming through as well.

T: Thorpe429 explains the taste a lot better than I would. It's very mild for a lambic, but that's not bad, just different. I kind of like the slightly tart quality to this beer, as the persimmon really shines through better than if it were really sour. The persimmon flavor tastes like a milder apricot with orange zest.

M: Although it was a gusher, the carbonation is a bit on the thin side (maybe because it was a gusher?). It coated the palate nicely however.

D: Overall I like this beer, and the tart rather than sour flavor does it well. I have high hopes for my only bottle. Although it is good now, I hope it will get better with a year of age and perhaps the flavors will further develop.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Shared a bottle with my family tonight for my 22nd Birthday

A- Poured a hazy yellow with a small head that quickly faded

Smell- Tons and tons of fruit in the nose, absolutely love this smell, reminds me of the persimmons I used to have at my grandma's

T- Wow, absolutely love this. The sourness is one of the strongest I've had but not without a massive amount of flavor here.

M- Lighter body here and really easy for me to drink. Not so easy for my family of BMC drinkers but for me it was good.

O- I absolutely loved this. I don't drink this style often but this one may have opened my eyes quite a bit. Grab or trade for this if you are a fan or sours.

Persimmon Lambic from Upland Brewing Company