Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to Will for crossing off another huge want on my list. This one immediately gushed with the pop of the cork, but luckily too much beer wasn't lost before we were able to pour it into our glasses. It's a light orange-y, pale straw, pear-ish kind of color that's completely and utterly opaque. The white head is volatile, fizzy, and loud, and is literally wiped from existence within seconds of the pour.

Wow, the aroma is quite unlike anything I've smelled before. Eccentrically citrusy, with reminders of orange and lemon, but there's a nebulous fruitiness that I have yet to encounter - must be the persimmons. I haven't had a persimmon before, but smelling this beer really makes me want to go out and find one. Because if they smell like this, they must be good.

I love the pureness of the aroma; it smells like you're walking through a ripe patch of fruit. Highly authentic, and I don't even know what persimmon smells like. Ripe fruit skins, mild sweetness, a hint of tart acidity, and a faint underbrushing of grass that really ties everything together. At this point, I'm not getting much (if any) funk or Brett, but the fruit aspect is enough to blow me away.

The taste is miles ahead of the aroma in terms of perceivable sourness, but it still remains decadent and easy to swallow without puckering your ass or burning a hole in your stomach lining too much. It's incredibly fruity, again with that somewhat uncharted flavor that I can only assume must be from the persimmon. Digging deeper reveals some orange and pear, too.

Once the tartness calms a bit and the raw fruitiness begins to wind down, the oak becomes noticeable with just a light hint of Bretty funk and a touch sweetness in the undercurrent. This creates a nice, dry, and savory finish that gives the perfect closure to a fantastically fruity, juicy, tart, and lightly sweet beer, much unlike the series finale of The Sopranos. Effervescent on the palate, thin bodied and crisp, carbonated pretty heavily.

This was the first time my body has ingested any form of persimmon or even persimmon flavor, and it was quite delicious. I can't help but feel that I'll be let down once I get my hands on the actual fruit itself. Persimmon Lambic is so delightfully pure and raw by nature, though, and sour fanatics will have no trouble enjoying this beer. Makes me want the rest of the Upland Lambic series now.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 3/15/11. Sampled alongside the other seven fruit lambics.

A: Pours a lightly hazy lemon color with a short lived fizzy bright white head.
S: This just reeks of persimmon…and Japanese food? I’m getting something that reminds me of seaweed, but you know what, this smells awesome. Faint citrus as well.
T: Persimmon all the way with hints of citrus. Tartness and biting acid are right there as well. Very unique flavors.
M: Frothy carbonation, medium body, very bubby slick mouthfeel.
O: One of the best of the seven and just a uniquely flavored beer all-around. Worth checking out.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%