Persimmon Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010

Ratings: 320 | Reviews: 76
4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a tulip. 03-15-2011/71-09 Batch. Thanks to Matt for sharing!

(A)- Pours a very cloudy pale yellow color. A good cap of white froth.

(S)- Very vibrant fresh fruit smell. I do not know much about Persimmons, but this has loads of kiwi, peach, apricot, and lemon with just a kiss of dry oak.

(T)- Wow, again, a huge vibrant fruit profile. Bits of oak, but this is primarily and sour fruit bomb.

(M)- A rather large carbonation level. A great fruit profile to it, but a touch high on the carbonation level.

(D)- Despite the high carbonation level, the fruit profile in this is quite fresh and refreshing/vibrant. Not a ton of funk or oak characters, but the sour fruit is full force. Looking forward to seeing how this develops over time.

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%

A: This poured a cloudy light straw color with quickly dissipating white head.
S: It smelled like tons of tart persimmon and funky oak, with some pear and apricot and citrus zest.
T: It tasted like super tart persimmon and unripe apricot and oak, with some sweet pear and bitter citrus zest. It had a clean and very tart aftertaste with a little sweetness.
M: It was thin with tons of bubbly carbonation, like champagne.
D: This was a fantastic lambic with a unique scent and taste that were super clean and delicious. It was complex yet simplistic, with a fitting body and well hidden alcohol. So it was easy to drink, but amazing to sip and contemplate. Could probably age a long time. Lovely beer and highly recommended.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for giving me this one during our MASSIVE in-person trade when he came down to visit! Thanks Al! Slight gusher! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart, sour, subtle funk, passion fruit, persimmon, and slight sour apple. The flavor was of sweet malt, persimmon, tropical fruit, tart, sour, and a very slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a solid brew. I really have to say, that I quite enjoyed this one. I have had a lot of these in the series and this one is definitely up there as far as one of my favorites. The persimmon is definitely the star of the show on this one and keeps reminding you of this fact throughout every sip. A really well done brew that should be tried by anyone who likes the style or persimmon. You won't be disappointed.

Pours a very light yellow hazy liquid, violent inside with a creamy white head. The nose is sweeter than the peach with some mineral notes up front. Lots of fruity aromas, peaches, mango, light touch of sour in the nose. There is a tang on the fruits which I am told is the persimmon (never had one). The taste is balanced and subtl, lightly sweet, hints of tang with a faint mineral brett note. There is some spice in the back and a nice level of sourness, not overpowering but adds depth and is balanced wel. The feel is creamy, lively carbonation, rather dry, light crispness in the finish.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

So far, this is the best of the Upland lambics that I have had. Better than kiwi, raspberry, and strawberry, well, maybe not strawberry.

Resembles a watered down mountain dew with some pretty active bubbles.

Smells like what I imagine a persimmon smells like. Peach-like, possibly? Definitely more fruity smelling than the others that I have had.

Taste has more of that nice fruit flavor, almost tastes like the outside of a peach. Pretty sour, its no Cantillon, but what is? The fruit flavor lingers for quite awhile and is very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue, very active carbonation, too much for me.

It doesn't get you all the way in the back like Cantillon does but all in all, a pleasant beverage to share with friends. Too much for me and my SB to finish in one sitting.

2.78/5  rDev -34.7%

Thanks to Masterski for sending this along last month. Shared this bottle with Jctribe last night.

Well, we had a GUSHER!!!.. Seriously, this bottle was never shaken or disturbed. As I released the cage, I noticed the cork was moving out on it’s own right away. I popped it and thought we struck oil. 1/2 the bottle was immediately all over my coffee table.

After finally getting the situation under control we poured the beer and it was a very hazy dull pale yellow/straw color. Not sure if this is what it’s supposed to be or if the sediment was suspended in the remaining beer. A touch of fizzy white head capped the beer.

Aroma was so thick and perfume like it was unreal. I used to work in a produce department, so I’ve had Persimmons, but it’s been years. The smell was a bit familiar, but it also was so strong and perfume like that it seems a woman put on way too much. Almost chemical like.

Flavor was also very perfume like filled with a flavor that matched the distinct fruit notes in the aroma. But the chemical like flavor or just overbearing perfume was also center stage. After this initial hit there was a lot of vanilla and oak.

Strangely smooth and silky mouth feel. Would have to guess that the suspended yeast and knocked down carbonation contributed to this.

I have to say I wasn’t the biggest fan here, but I am happy I had the opportunity.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%

Best sour beer I have had, which I must admit isn't many.

A: A short lived single fingered bright white head forms atop this deep yellow, partly cloudy brew leaving no lacing in its wake.

S: Strong scents filled with what I assume are persimmons, along with other acidic fruits. Brett funkiness shows its face, but isn't as prominent as in others from similar varieties. Made my mouth water.

T: Big sour front, much more prominent than the smell led me to believe. Fruit does follow nicely, but I still wish they were stronger. Like the smell, the Brett funkiness is more subtle than others.

M: Highly carbonated, crisp, medium light.

O: Best I have had of the variety, but these sour beers really aren't my favorite.

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%

This beer pours a milky, somewhat opaque pear juice washed yellow. It pours smoothly and medium in body. The nose is quite possibly the greatest and freshest nose that I've ever experienced in a beer. The aromas are full of freshly cut fruit, melons, pears, kiwis, slight lactic sourness, and persimmons galore! The freshness is absurd. It is just so luscious and fruit forward. The flavors too of tart juicy melons, persimmons, fresh peaches, with slight funk. It is near perfect. It drinks fresh, sharp, and crisp and goes down well. It's hard to actually sip it because I can't get my nose out of the glass. What a masterpiece! Phenomenal, phenomenal beer.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was warned that this beer may be a gusher and under a lot of pressure. Sure enough as soon as I got the cage off, the cork EXPLODED out. So be careful.

After the initial shock of the cork almost murdering me I get a chance to look at the beer. This beer drove my Duvel tulip crazy. TONS of bubbles just exploding in a constant stream from the etching in the center of the glass. Very pale yellow/orange in color with a constant white head being produced by the incredibly spritzy carbonation.

The aroma was light but good. Tart, acidic, lactic, and fruity. Oranges, persimmons I suppose? This beers tastes fantastic. Delicate, light, tart, very tart actually. The Oak casks don't impart much flavor. This beer isn't very "funky" though. The Brett character is pretty mild. Slightly grainy but very snappy and light. The carbonation makes for a very light mouthfeel and aids in the amazingly dry, quick finish. Good stuff!

Overall this is a very enjoyable Wild Ale. I really like the delicate flavors and champagne like carbonation. Decidedly subtle and refined.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade from aasher as part of another amazing package. Been looking forward to the Upland lambics for a long time. Thanks again, Al!

Pouring into a Cantillon flute, this is a hazy straw color with a quick-to-recede 1-2 finger white foam. Viciously active carbonation streams steadily towards the surface.

Wonderfully inviting nose offers up a prominent persimmon presence mingling with leather, sour fruit, tobacco. Spice.

Persimmons on the palette, puckering tartness. Picking up a very light toasted quality, hint of vanilla. Perhaps this is the oak? Funk arrives fashionably late. Barnyard/leathery. Dry finish.

Light bodied, perky carbonation. Smooth despite the intense sourness.

Really enjoying this offering and absolutely looking forward to the strawberry and kiwi that arrived in the same box. Lovely persimmon fruit counterbalanced with the intense sourness and a lot of funk. Very drinkable, would definitely enjoy another bottle or two, were it not so limited.

4.09/5  rDev -4%

Pours a clear pale yellow. Almost colourless. A bit of white head. Doesn't really look that great. Smells sweet and fruity. The persimmon aroma is great . Incredible fruit aroma. Tastes very tart. The fruit is simple and enjoyable. A bit more sour than i would like but well carbonated and overall pretty darn enjoyable.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hey cam thanks a bunch

A - clouded yellow, no foam, some random floating stuff

S - tart but sweet, umami

T - tart as hell. Bit spicy. Some fruit. Nice tart and funk

M - thin and light. Goes to foam somewhat

O - a strong tasting beer. Lots of tart. It's pretty dang good

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Shared a bottle with my family tonight for my 22nd Birthday

A- Poured a hazy yellow with a small head that quickly faded

Smell- Tons and tons of fruit in the nose, absolutely love this smell, reminds me of the persimmons I used to have at my grandma's

T- Wow, absolutely love this. The sourness is one of the strongest I've had but not without a massive amount of flavor here.

M- Lighter body here and really easy for me to drink. Not so easy for my family of BMC drinkers but for me it was good.

O- I absolutely loved this. I don't drink this style often but this one may have opened my eyes quite a bit. Grab or trade for this if you are a fan or sours.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Not sure who shared this bottle, but a big thanks. 750 ml bottle served in a Deschutes snifter. Bottle was a slight gusher.

A: Pours an extrememly cloudy yellow, very chilled haze, a white frothy head that leaves some swirls once it subsides.

S: Lots of fruits going on. I'm getting whiffs of mandarin oranges, a slight star fruit, a little pineapple. I guess this is what persimmon smells like? Either way it's very enjoyable.

T: Very nice tartness with a nice sweet orange and pineapple sweetness. It really tasted good and I'm a big fan of this persimmon fruit. Little oakiness in there as well.

M: Light to medium bodied with a nice sugary coating quality to it. Nice spritz of carbonation with a slight drying finish.

O: The persimmon fruit was very delicious and seemed to take on qualities of many differnt fruits. Not overly sweet and was very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. Bottled 3/15/11, Batch 71-09. Big thanks to Rempo for this. Persimmons are probably my favorite fruit, so I'm super excited about this.

2.5 A: The color of this is quite shocking. I expected a pinkish hue, but instead this looks like hazy chardonay. Three fingers of white, fizzy soda-pop head that falls super fast and leaves no lacing. Like usual, Upland managed to make an ugly brew.

5.0 S: This is like anything I've ever smelled before, which makes much sense given that this is the only beer I've ever had that features persimmons. Oh yeah, it also smells wonderful. Persimmons are exploding from this. I'm picking up everything on the spectrum from immature, unripened persimmons to their sofy, overly ripened counterparts. With regards to this, I am picking up both earthy and sweet. There's a tartness to this that follows the unripened fruit vein, but there isn't a lot of traditional sourness in this. Oak complements the fruit and a light barnyard funk follows.

4.5 T: Again, the persimmon is running the show. Sweet, earthy, tart, and certainly distinct all at once. There's a good bit more acid in the taste that what the nose presented. This comes mainly in the form of tangy lactic acid, but there are notes of acetic as well. As for funk, there's a ton of it. Funky barnyard, hay, wet grass, apple orchard, and horse. A lemony zestiness to it. Oak and vanilla complement the other flavors increasing the complexity of this. Persimmon aftertaste.

4.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate spritzy carbonation. Good creaminess in this and super smooth.

4.5 D: I enjoyed this a lot. This is easily my favorite Upland brew. It captures the essence of the persimmon perfectly and presents it with force. There aren't too many brews out there that are unique, but as of now, this one is.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Big thanks to Romulux for this long time want. Cheers!
bottle into Bruery Tulip

Color: Quite beautiful. A hazy pale orange straw color with shades of pale dull yellow. This beer leaves behind no lacing at all and the one finger white head that forms after you pour reduces itself to a dime size ring around the glass.

Nose: Great! Nice fruit profile with all the typical lambic features: Oak, barnyard funk, hay, hints of the wild yeast. The persimmon floats in the beer, but its not over powering on the nose.

Palate: Everything you want and need. Tart/sour on the tongue followed by small waves of citrus, grass, hay, and oak. Some lemon and orange peel bring up the rear, but its so welcomed. Very Balanced and drinkable. The carbonation is a bit high, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Finish: Dry and tart. Complex and fruit forward, with a balanced integration of funk and earthiness. This lambic is a success and a total treat.

Rating: 95 out of 100

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Split with my girlfriend. Pours a bright yellow with a gigantic head that settles fairly quickly. I think after settling my glass was only 1/4 full.

Smells of persimmons with some lemon, pepper and a lot of funk going on.

Taste is very tart upfront. Much more so than I was expecting, but it wasn't bad. Rounds out into some lemony/persimmon flavor with a touch of funk at the end.

Bubbly, but not a gusher for me. Good carbonation. Good light lambic.

Been waiting to try this one for a while as I had a friend who made persimmon wine back home. Good flavor and nothing is terribly overpowering. Very good job by my local brewer.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Major thanks to two fine BA'ers, Patchmaster and Kstrickler for doing some work to get me this and the Kiwi. I really appreciate it guys.

Was looking forward to this and decided to take the plunge outside in State College before the Penn State Alabama game last weekend.

Very interesting beer. I had read some comments on the fact that these bad boys are excited to come out of the bottle so I was prepared with pitcher under opening.

A loud pop and immediate overflow. I had this baby ice cold so I probably collected about a half of glass before it finally settled down.

A - Huge head that deflated faster than the Beaver Stadium crowd last Saturday. Straw yellow and a spec of orange in the glass after the head died down. A couple of happy bubbles too. Dinged a bit for the overflow and immediate retreat of the head.

S - Very enticing. Some oak, fruit, funk, & acid dominate.

T - Very enjoyable. Slightly funky but not overpowering. Touch of guava, lemon, grape, and other tropical fruit to go along with some oak and maybe a little pepper. Very nice, I think that this is a good beer for people who do not enjoy an overpowering sour.

M - Very crisp and delightful.

O - Really glad to have got the opportunity here and really glad that I have a couple more in the cellar. I think I am going to try all of their offerings. This made me interested in the full lineup.

Thanks again to Patch and Strick for lending a helping hand.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

opens with a burnt yellow and huge head. Tremendous hard fizzy head...and it keeps coming. nose is of sourness and hay. oaky presence from the barrel age process as well. Taste is first of wood bitterness and a sour fruit. The fruit blends right in with the wood...and I wish the two flavors were segregated more. I can't seem to appreciate the woody flavor here in this lambic. The persimmon is a nice sour fruit flavor...wish it was more dominant. mouthfeel is crisp. A rush of fizz hits the lips so hard you can feel a slight burn from the bubbles popping. It is a pleasant sensation. Overall, nice sourness to it, very drinkable due to the heavy carb, though I feel to much of this would both upset my stomach and overpower my senses...too much oakiness for me.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%

I went crazy getting ready for this round of lambic and it wasn't really necessary. Low carbonation.

A: Pours a very light lemongrass color. No head at all, this looks like dead Hottenroth. There is some bubbles sitting around in the glass but overall this could have used some time to possibly develop some carbonation.

S: The smell is crazy fruity, with tons of funk going on. Smells of some sharp sourness and acidity, hopefully that carries over. This has the complexity of a gueuze with lots of fruit character on top of that. Possibly my favorite smelling lambic to date.

T: This is fairly sour with some lemony tartness. I think the light spice and citrus from the persimmon(never had one) brings it back from the point of being really puckering. This makes me think persimmon is like lemon-lime. Just like the nose, this has lots of funk and fruit-a very complex and refreshing flavor combo. The buggy oak barrels gave this some great qualities. Highly acidic

M: Very low carbonation-not what I expected. This feels slightly thin bodied and oily.

O: I was very dissapointed by the non-existent carbonation. Other than that the flavors of this really redeemed it. Its very complex and refreshing. A very good lambic, I think this is just a bad bottle.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle shared by Whitemomba.

This is the BEST Upland Lambic I've had (except perhaps for the Blackberry that DrewBa made me sample an ounce at DLD )

Straw colored, light, yellowy, hazy, white head. This looks like a melted lemon Italian ice.
Smells of funky oaky earth, lemony and limey, some clementines, and a nice sourness.
The flavor follows the nose perfectly: just awesome.
The body is thin, light, and well carbonated.

Overall-- very very nice. I would love to sip this beer again.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

amber in color with a good amount of cloudiness and haze to it, enough that you could barely see through to the other side. Nice light puff of white on top that faded leaving only a little bit of lace on top.

The aroma was beautiful. Rich sour funkiness with huge touches of tropical fruits and notes of light hops mixed in. Light peppery and spice notes come through as it warms, but the sour funk was so hardcore. The flavor was puckeringly good. Rich fruits and herbal, hoppy, and lightly spiced, hallmarks of a great beer are all over this one. As it warms barrel notes, lots of spice and a long drawn out and very dry finish

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%

From 08/13/11 notes. Shared a bottle of this with some friends and my girlfriend. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip. Bottle gushed a little bit but no where near as bad as some other Upland beers I've had.

a - Pours a murky pale yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate to high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour tropical fruits, persimmon, light brett, but more than the taste, and light citrus.

t - Tastes of sour tropical fruits, some funk and brett but very light here, persimmon, and some almost grapefruit like scents. Very fruity and not overly funky.

m - Light to medium body and high carbonation, pretty on key with all the other Upland lambics.

o - Overall this was a good beer, but a bit disappointing. It was a bit fruitier than some of the other Upland lambics and not as funky as the others. I had heard some people say this was their favorite/the best one, but it definitely isn't mine. Worth trying but I like the funkier ones better.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

758th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
750ML C/C

Thanks to Bombadil for sharing @ Woodshop Classix

**Make sure to have a glass or bucket handy, this was a gusher from the word go**

App- A very soft soft yellow/orange with a one finger head and a ton of bubbles on it. Not much in the way of cling or lace either.

Smell- Huge juicy fruits with a lot of light acid. Has a bit of an orange jolly rancher nose to it.

Taste- The tangy persimmon flavor is quite prevalant on the beer. Had a nice balance of the dry oakiness with a little spritzy fruit acid and bubbles. Didn't overpower the fruit to make it undrinkable.

Mouth- A light body with a high carbonation level. Again this was like a jolly rancher but in liquid form.

Drink- A very good lambic. I have enjoyed all the variations that Upland is doing. This was dry, fruity, sweet and bubbly.

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%

Stuck this in the freezer for 15 minutes and I still only had to touch the cork for it to fire off. Have a bowl ready.

Pour is like a hazy, dirty pineapple juice. The nose is pretty light - a bit of funk, hay, lemon, peach, but all very reserved. The taste is like a poor mans blend of Fou Foune and Beatification. Acidic and funky, but only somewhat. This makes the beer quite drinkable. The fruit lends a light bit of sweetness, but in general, the fruit is very reserved. There is a touch of lemon rind, but all without the bite. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but light in body. Very nice. Overall, the lack of overbearing sourness makes it highly drinkable, but makes this beer a bit boring. Enjoyable to a point, but this beer could use some bigger fruit flavor.

[Edit: I think I had this way to quickly after it came out. Since had it and it was one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. Smell adjusted up]

Persimmon Lambic from Upland Brewing Company