Hefe Weizen - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 06-15-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Mistofminn:
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

First beer (second was Potatoe Stout) while watching the Twins vs. Angles game and chatting with a pint club member.

Served in a pint glass (should have gotten the weizen glass...$10 for the full glass and you get to keep it!). Hazy orange, beautiful! Off white cap sits on top with good retention and leaves some decent lacing.

The nose starts out strong with bananas and cloves, bavarian yeast and citrus. Good stuff!

Holy moly, I was expecting a smooth, yeasty bavarian weizen, but the most noticeable thing about this is the blast of citrus! Really wasn't expecting that at that intensity level. Typical clove, banana and bavarian yeast are also there. The citrus is tart and almost sour, and the more I thought about it, I started to see why the Gose and Berliner Weissbier styles became popular at one point in time!

Mouthfeel is a good contrast between smooth and yeasty, and sharp, acidic and citrusy. Good carbonation level. Drinkability is solid, a great session beer.

I beleive the menu said this years version of the Hefe was 5.7%, but I could be thinking of a different beer.

Overall, yet another solid beer from Town Hall. My reviews of Town Hall are begining to become redundant, but it's just not fair when it comes to their brews. They don't make bad beer, it's that simple.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass.

Poured a pretty nice hazy golden color with a soft, pillowy, white head. It left a nice lacing in the glass, with plenty visible carbonation bubbles rising to the glass, this one looked pretty tasty. Smell was of banana and clove, but I didn't find it to be amazing. Taste does have some banana and lemon zest, but cloves mostly dominate this one. Pretty good, just could have been better. Medium bodied, high carbonation, fit in well with this one. Drinkability was ok, but for a weizen I think it could be better. Pretty good, I just expected more.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Serving Glass: Poured from tap into Pint.

Appearance: Very cloudy orange with thick white head and loads of lacing rings left behind.

Smell: Major banana, some wheat and very light clove.

Taste: Banana and wheat dominates. Fairly sweet overall. There is some light clove and noble hops, but not enough for my personal preference.

Feel: Fairly full body with moderately high carbonation. Finish is not dry enough; a little cloying.

Drinkability: Despite my preference for a drier Hefeweizen, this is still a tasty, strong example of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

On tap at the brewpub. Poured into a standard shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow with a little amber orange. Moderate amount of bubbles and three fingers of white head with decent retention. Good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Wheat grains and bready pale malts with big esters. Good hints of bananas along with some bubblegum and clove. Funky yeast and some hints of citrus lemon. Light earthy hops in the background. Smells like what you would expect from a Hefeweizen.

Taste: A fairly sweet and lightly spicy taste. Wheat, yeast, and some bready pale malts. Big notes of bananas along with some cloves, hay, and bubblegum. Also some citrus with hints of lemon zest and orange. Light hints of earthy hops towards the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Creamy, zesty, and finishes somewhat dry.

Overall: A very solid take on a Hefeweizen. Nice fruity banana esters. Has some nice body to it while still being an easy drinker.

3.99/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours like a hefeweizen ought to - pale, cloudy orange body topped with a nice dose of white foam that leaves a distinct set of lace after each sip.

A bit one dimensional on the nose... it's all about dat malted wheat. There's a bit of honey and sweet yeast in the mix as well.

Creamy wheat flavors blend with clove, semi-sweet honey, a little citrus maybe?

It's an easy drinking beer, no doubt. I'ma make this growler my bitch.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a cloudy pale orange. Wow, the banana aroma is huge. I also get orange, cotton candy and cloves. Really interesting smell. The banana comes out even more in the taste than on the nose. It is thick and sweet with mild carbonation. The sweetness lingers in the mouth and the banana flavor is carried through to the end. Very nice I think.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

It's weird, I never used to like hefes but a few days ago while visiting Town Hall a friend offered me a sip from his pint glass. My tastes must have changed drastically because I ended up walking out with a growler of it.

It pours out a nice light amber yellow with little foam on top. True to its style it is very hazy. Up front you get tons of bananas with a slight bit of spice in the background. Somewhere in between there are some delicious sweet malts along with some clove. The taste is pretty much the same, but with a bigger banana flavor. It's very smooth and extremely easy to drink.

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Cloudy white and gold color. Banana and cloves on the nose. The initial attack is consistent with the nose. The clove flavor is heavy but it cleans up surprisingly well before the finish. The appearance is really more similar to a white ale in my opinion. The malt is much more pronounced in the flavor than I accustomed to in a hefeweizen. I can't say whether I favor this or not, but I do know that it ranks in the middle as one of the many in the hefeweizens I have had. Worth a shot.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A: Hazy orange-yellow, absolutely opaque. Some pieces of yeast and wheat are a little large, but generally not. The head is bright white, and while if I really tried from the growler (I also got it on tap with similar results) I could whip up a good one, in general it was fairly small, only 2-3 fingers.

S: BANANAS! This beer definitely captures the banana esters of the hefe yeast fantastically. There's a little cloviness, some tropical fruits maybe and just a hint of malt, not hops though.

T: Again, it's like a banana milkshake. More of the tropical, almost citrusy fruit flavors (it went great with both BBQ Chicken Pizza and Snap Pea Chicken) that I'm not sure are from the hops or the yeast. Either way, it's great.

M: Texture was a little dense, to be honest. But for a hefe released this early, that's ok.

D: Quite. It's calling me back soon, I can tell you that much. It goes down easy and is a welcome change of pace from overly sweet or roasted stouts or any sort of pale or india ale.

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

This beer came a foggy peach and gold that seemed a little dark for the style.

Smells of sweet corn syrup and confectioners sugar with some peaches and doughy yeast. I’m also getting a little mandarin orange and lemon. Too sweet!

Tastes of sweet cantaloupe that picks up a little lemon and turns to a musky, sour yeast. Finishes a little bitter.

The mouth feel is medium bodied with a mild carbonation.

Not too hot for the style, but not entirely terrible.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a solid, opaque, slightly mustard, yellow, with not much head and sheets of bubbling lacing. The aroma is pretty solid, quite nice, spicy and yeasty and oh so wheaty, but I'd also describe it as smooth, as in not one to attack the olfactories with zing. The taste classic, beautiful, hefe-nly goodness, very fresh, very clean, very drinkable. There isn't as much banana or clove as I might have figured, some lemon citrus which may be from brewing or more likely from the wedge that I threw out as quickly as I could. In all, I thought this was a good one, and I'll probably have it a few more times here soon.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

This beer arrives a dark orange color with a one inch dense white head that recedes slowly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma is of lemons, bright citrus, and clove with hints of banana. The taste is rather neutral for a hefe. There is some lemon and oranges, but little clove and no banana. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a chewy texture. Overall, this is a decent hefe that I wouldn't complain about drinking again. However, it doesn't have the yeasty notes that I crave in a hefe.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a growler

A—thick, cloudy orange with a touch of yellow, 1 inch head that fizzles away almost immediately, light lacing for a short time, but that fades away, too

S—strong wheat, citrus and floral, banana sticks out, something else is there, too, but I can’t make it out…smells slightly nutty, but not really nutty.

T—sweet wheat and banana is dominate, mixed in with some vanilla that balances this one out nicely

M—medium bodied, a little slimy, the carbonation fades quickly as I drink it

D—very good. I wish I had more than one pint, but my wife has finished the growler by the time I finish my first one….guess that’s what I get for doing a review…

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

A- Hazy pale golden with a very thick white head. Retention is decent.
S- The aroma is definitely more peppery than banana or anything else. The spice notes are big, but one-dimensional.
T- There is only the slightest of fruit notes before being overtaken by a big spice kick that carries through to the finish.
M- Medium body, dry finish.
O- A decent hefeweizen but I was left a little underwhelmed by it.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

gowler into big-ass mug, review from notes

I'm not going to go into much detail, because it's not needed. The smell and taste were classic hefe: banana, clove, fruity esters, peppery spice. Very bright and colorful(?).

This was an excellent hefe, one I wouldn't mind getting again. The town hall brewery strikes again.

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Came with a 2 finger light tan head that dissipated slowly. The beer is hazy orange in color.

Smells of wheat, malt, bananas and cloves.

Tastes like the smell... wheat, bananas, cloves and malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Smooth, fine carbonation on the tip of the tongue. Clean, smooth finish.

Drinks very easy. A very refreshing beer on this warm summer day!!

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangey-gold into my Duvel glass with a nice foamy white head that dissipated after a few sips.

Smell: Big sweet wheat aromas with a sour background.

Taste: Huge malty-sweet wheat flavors up front with hints of banana bread in the background. Cloves and spicy hop notes round out the flavor. Excellent hefe.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with medium-to-high carbonation, but very well done. Not too thick or syrupy.

Drinkability: Delightfully refreshing, even during the Minnesota winter. Goes down easy with or without food.

I went to Town Hall to get a growler of their IPA, but found that they were out of it. I had tried the Hefe the previous night so I "settled" for a growler of that. It is a very solid, flavorful, refreshing Hefe.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer has a nice cloudy, orange-yellow appearance. Not much of a head. The smell and taste of this beer go pretty much hand in hand, refreshing wheaty malt dominates, not as much fruity esters as some hefe's I've tried, and a definite spicy/clove presence. you can definitely taste some banana in the aftertaste too. Good mouthfeel and drinkabiliy, nothing really of note. This is a fine representation of the style, I have had better hefe's but I would not hesitate to order a pitcher of this on Town Hall's patio.

Pours to a hazy yellow-orange color, with a creamy white head. The aromas are of wheat, cloves, and fruits--- bananas. The flavor is fruity, clove-like and of wheat malts. It finishes dry. This is a light bodied refresher, a great summertime brew. Tasty hefe.

Sampled 5/30/04