Hefe Weizen - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 06-15-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Came with a 2 finger light tan head that dissipated slowly. The beer is hazy orange in color.

Smells of wheat, malt, bananas and cloves.

Tastes like the smell... wheat, bananas, cloves and malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Smooth, fine carbonation on the tip of the tongue. Clean, smooth finish.

Drinks very easy. A very refreshing beer on this warm summer day!!

ThePeskyDingo, Jun 23, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

It's weird, I never used to like hefes but a few days ago while visiting Town Hall a friend offered me a sip from his pint glass. My tastes must have changed drastically because I ended up walking out with a growler of it.

It pours out a nice light amber yellow with little foam on top. True to its style it is very hazy. Up front you get tons of bananas with a slight bit of spice in the background. Somewhere in between there are some delicious sweet malts along with some clove. The taste is pretty much the same, but with a bigger banana flavor. It's very smooth and extremely easy to drink.

DontCallMeSurly, Jun 06, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Orange/yellow body, almost like orange juice. The half-inch of pillowy, white head fades quickly into a thin layer. Great lacing left behind, really inviting.

The main smells here are cloves, banana, wheat, and corriander with some more spiciness on top of that. Little bits of lemons added in there too...

Taste isn't much different, the bananas and cloves take ahold of your palatte, not allowing the other flavors to really come out. A decent spiciness to the taste though, wheaty and sweet.

I thought this beer was medium bodied with high carbonation. It tastes great and is very refreshing. One of my favorite beers to grab from T-Hall.

dogger6253, May 25, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

Very cloudy opaque appearance. Smell is very sweet with hints of banana and vanilla. When tasted the banana becomes much more pronounced. Tasty beer. Classic hefe style and similar to other's I have had of this style. Easy to drink, fun to drink, a good all around hefe weizen.

icemonkey908, May 18, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a solid, opaque, slightly mustard, yellow, with not much head and sheets of bubbling lacing. The aroma is pretty solid, quite nice, spicy and yeasty and oh so wheaty, but I'd also describe it as smooth, as in not one to attack the olfactories with zing. The taste classic, beautiful, hefe-nly goodness, very fresh, very clean, very drinkable. There isn't as much banana or clove as I might have figured, some lemon citrus which may be from brewing or more likely from the wedge that I threw out as quickly as I could. In all, I thought this was a good one, and I'll probably have it a few more times here soon.

objectivemonkey, May 12, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

Re-Review-

My tastes in hefes must have changed because my thoughts remain the same on the flavor profile of this beer but my scores are higher....this is exactly the type of hefe I like now...big on the bananna and vanilla characteristics...sweet but enough of a late lemony kick to make it about right....the problem with a lot of the foreign hefe's is freshness...my thought is why take a chance? this is as good or better than most of those anyhow...excellent beer...

7-4-03
Bright yellow color...not much lace....sweet banana's on the nose....mashed overripe banana's on the taste...sweet and malty....full bodied with medium carbonation....almost a bit oversweet....lacks some complexity and that drops the drinkability a little as it could use a stronger clove, or lemon note to make it more quaffable...

This is solid, but lacks some of the dimensions I'd like to see to rate it higher...still a good beer I'd have no trouble drinking all summer...

ZAP, Apr 18, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

This beer came a foggy peach and gold that seemed a little dark for the style.

Smells of sweet corn syrup and confectioners sugar with some peaches and doughy yeast. I’m also getting a little mandarin orange and lemon. Too sweet!

Tastes of sweet cantaloupe that picks up a little lemon and turns to a musky, sour yeast. Finishes a little bitter.

The mouth feel is medium bodied with a mild carbonation.

Not too hot for the style, but not entirely terrible.

DarkerTheBetter, Jul 14, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Had this in a pint glass at Town Hall

A- Yellow Gold very opaque and still, really a good looking Hefe Weizen

S- Semi Sweet Malty good level of the smells not overpowering

T- Sweet a nice taste, with some very wheaty attributes

M- Just as expected from it just average nothing jumping out at me.

D- Nice and refreshing I would only have one in a night but I would order it agin.

Notes: Overall it is a very sold Hefe Weizen offering and worth a try to anyone who likes the style.

beckje01, Jul 07, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass.

Poured a pretty nice hazy golden color with a soft, pillowy, white head. It left a nice lacing in the glass, with plenty visible carbonation bubbles rising to the glass, this one looked pretty tasty. Smell was of banana and clove, but I didn't find it to be amazing. Taste does have some banana and lemon zest, but cloves mostly dominate this one. Pretty good, just could have been better. Medium bodied, high carbonation, fit in well with this one. Drinkability was ok, but for a weizen I think it could be better. Pretty good, I just expected more.

badbeer, Jun 08, 2006

This beer has a nice cloudy, orange-yellow appearance. Not much of a head. The smell and taste of this beer go pretty much hand in hand, refreshing wheaty malt dominates, not as much fruity esters as some hefe's I've tried, and a definite spicy/clove presence. you can definitely taste some banana in the aftertaste too. Good mouthfeel and drinkabiliy, nothing really of note. This is a fine representation of the style, I have had better hefe's but I would not hesitate to order a pitcher of this on Town Hall's patio.

dfried, May 31, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a growler

A—thick, cloudy orange with a touch of yellow, 1 inch head that fizzles away almost immediately, light lacing for a short time, but that fades away, too

S—strong wheat, citrus and floral, banana sticks out, something else is there, too, but I can’t make it out…smells slightly nutty, but not really nutty.

T—sweet wheat and banana is dominate, mixed in with some vanilla that balances this one out nicely

M—medium bodied, a little slimy, the carbonation fades quickly as I drink it

D—very good. I wish I had more than one pint, but my wife has finished the growler by the time I finish my first one….guess that’s what I get for doing a review…

hanco005, Mar 25, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangey-gold into my Duvel glass with a nice foamy white head that dissipated after a few sips.

Smell: Big sweet wheat aromas with a sour background.

Taste: Huge malty-sweet wheat flavors up front with hints of banana bread in the background. Cloves and spicy hop notes round out the flavor. Excellent hefe.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with medium-to-high carbonation, but very well done. Not too thick or syrupy.

Drinkability: Delightfully refreshing, even during the Minnesota winter. Goes down easy with or without food.

I went to Town Hall to get a growler of their IPA, but found that they were out of it. I had tried the Hefe the previous night so I "settled" for a growler of that. It is a very solid, flavorful, refreshing Hefe.

jamesdergen, Mar 16, 2006

Pours to a hazy yellow-orange color, with a creamy white head. The aromas are of wheat, cloves, and fruits--- bananas. The flavor is fruity, clove-like and of wheat malts. It finishes dry. This is a light bodied refresher, a great summertime brew. Tasty hefe.

Sampled 5/30/04

BeerBuilder, Aug 06, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

On-Tap at the brewpub: Super clouded thick, nearly opaque, bright peachy yellow color. Small whitish cap sits loose and frothy. Lacing in strings and spots. The color is remarkably unique to look at up to the light. It generates an awesome glow even though it comes across as being thick as paint. A marvelously picturesque color!

Aroma has a pretty strong clove overlay which sits upon a steady wheat malt base with fresh lemon zip and slight banana.

Flavors are fine, but I keep getting the clove as a cleaning agent. It gets in the way for me, I can't quite get a good hold of the banana and lemon, which is there, but the spice takes away from it for me. I let this sit for awhile to see if maybe the warmth would help subdue the clove spice, but nope. It pretty much stays level throughout.

Feel is good, about right for a hefe, textured and fluffy carbonation, fizzy bits of sprite lemon zip and a whole bunch of clove spice everywhere within its medium body.

Perhaps too much of the clove for me, I like more of the underlying hints then a smack up side the head with the clove stuff in hefes. More banana too. Still, this probably might be more likable then I'm leading to believe. Definately better in quality then most of the brewpub hefe's I've had locally.

tavernjef, Jun 21, 2004
4.98/5  rDev +23.3%

Hazy golden. Decent sized white head. Big vanilla on the nose. LIke it. Some subtle clove as well. Yeast. Flour. Spicy. And a little banana. Great nose. Love the taste. Some nice vanilla. Big banana esters. A little bubblegum. A little must. Clove is light. Pepper even lighter. And some lemon tang thrown into the mix as well. Pretty damn good german style hefe. As a matter of fact, my personal favorite.

Bighuge, Jun 30, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: a very solid yellow, with a fine, sturdy white head. The tone is already being set here, for it perfectly hits all the right notes for a hefe weizen.
Aroma: big fat lemon, and I wish the server might have asked whether I needed the addition of a slice of said fruit. Probably out of sheer habit, the way one would be foolish to NOT serve a Corona with lime. The masses like, I don't. She merely tossed it out, after I did. The lemon looms so large, that the slice is overkill. Spicy, sparkling, zesty, uplifting, fresh, perfect.
Great weizen texture, too, lively play, decent hop showing, just-right malt spine. Creamy, tasty, refreshing, full-bodied.
Sweet fruity flavors persist all the way down the pint, which was fully enjoyed. A bright shining example of a hefe weizen. I'll try to take in more of these while summer lasts, and make the most of it!
Good job again, Town Hall!

feloniousmonk, Jun 15, 2003