Hefe Weizen - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 06-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
deebo

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

05-10-2014 03:16:47 | More by deebo
mdwalsh

Iowa

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Hazy orange-yellow, absolutely opaque. Some pieces of yeast and wheat are a little large, but generally not. The head is bright white, and while if I really tried from the growler (I also got it on tap with similar results) I could whip up a good one, in general it was fairly small, only 2-3 fingers.

S: BANANAS! This beer definitely captures the banana esters of the hefe yeast fantastically. There's a little cloviness, some tropical fruits maybe and just a hint of malt, not hops though.

T: Again, it's like a banana milkshake. More of the tropical, almost citrusy fruit flavors (it went great with both BBQ Chicken Pizza and Snap Pea Chicken) that I'm not sure are from the hops or the yeast. Either way, it's great.

M: Texture was a little dense, to be honest. But for a hefe released this early, that's ok.

D: Quite. It's calling me back soon, I can tell you that much. It goes down easy and is a welcome change of pace from overly sweet or roasted stouts or any sort of pale or india ale.

04-06-2010 13:39:21 | More by mdwalsh
badbeer

Iowa

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass.

Poured a pretty nice hazy golden color with a soft, pillowy, white head. It left a nice lacing in the glass, with plenty visible carbonation bubbles rising to the glass, this one looked pretty tasty. Smell was of banana and clove, but I didn't find it to be amazing. Taste does have some banana and lemon zest, but cloves mostly dominate this one. Pretty good, just could have been better. Medium bodied, high carbonation, fit in well with this one. Drinkability was ok, but for a weizen I think it could be better. Pretty good, I just expected more.

06-08-2006 08:27:39 | More by badbeer
Ragingbull

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

Cloudy white and gold color. Banana and cloves on the nose. The initial attack is consistent with the nose. The clove flavor is heavy but it cleans up surprisingly well before the finish. The appearance is really more similar to a white ale in my opinion. The malt is much more pronounced in the flavor than I accustomed to in a hefeweizen. I can't say whether I favor this or not, but I do know that it ranks in the middle as one of the many in the hefeweizens I have had. Worth a shot.

07-17-2009 14:39:17 | More by Ragingbull
dfried

This beer has a nice cloudy, orange-yellow appearance. Not much of a head. The smell and taste of this beer go pretty much hand in hand, refreshing wheaty malt dominates, not as much fruity esters as some hefe's I've tried, and a definite spicy/clove presence. you can definitely taste some banana in the aftertaste too. Good mouthfeel and drinkabiliy, nothing really of note. This is a fine representation of the style, I have had better hefe's but I would not hesitate to order a pitcher of this on Town Hall's patio.

05-31-2006 17:57:09 | More by dfried
hanco005

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a growler

A—thick, cloudy orange with a touch of yellow, 1 inch head that fizzles away almost immediately, light lacing for a short time, but that fades away, too

S—strong wheat, citrus and floral, banana sticks out, something else is there, too, but I can’t make it out…smells slightly nutty, but not really nutty.

T—sweet wheat and banana is dominate, mixed in with some vanilla that balances this one out nicely

M—medium bodied, a little slimy, the carbonation fades quickly as I drink it

D—very good. I wish I had more than one pint, but my wife has finished the growler by the time I finish my first one….guess that’s what I get for doing a review…

03-25-2006 21:14:12 | More by hanco005
mnphish

09-04-2013 03:18:53 | More by mnphish
beckje01

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Had this in a pint glass at Town Hall

A- Yellow Gold very opaque and still, really a good looking Hefe Weizen

S- Semi Sweet Malty good level of the smells not overpowering

T- Sweet a nice taste, with some very wheaty attributes

M- Just as expected from it just average nothing jumping out at me.

D- Nice and refreshing I would only have one in a night but I would order it agin.

Notes: Overall it is a very sold Hefe Weizen offering and worth a try to anyone who likes the style.

07-07-2006 00:47:36 | More by beckje01
dogger6253

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Orange/yellow body, almost like orange juice. The half-inch of pillowy, white head fades quickly into a thin layer. Great lacing left behind, really inviting.

The main smells here are cloves, banana, wheat, and corriander with some more spiciness on top of that. Little bits of lemons added in there too...

Taste isn't much different, the bananas and cloves take ahold of your palatte, not allowing the other flavors to really come out. A decent spiciness to the taste though, wheaty and sweet.

I thought this beer was medium bodied with high carbonation. It tastes great and is very refreshing. One of my favorite beers to grab from T-Hall.

05-25-2007 02:31:07 | More by dogger6253
ThePeskyDingo

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Came with a 2 finger light tan head that dissipated slowly. The beer is hazy orange in color.

Smells of wheat, malt, bananas and cloves.

Tastes like the smell... wheat, bananas, cloves and malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Smooth, fine carbonation on the tip of the tongue. Clean, smooth finish.

Drinks very easy. A very refreshing beer on this warm summer day!!

06-23-2009 04:20:01 | More by ThePeskyDingo
jamesdergen

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangey-gold into my Duvel glass with a nice foamy white head that dissipated after a few sips.

Smell: Big sweet wheat aromas with a sour background.

Taste: Huge malty-sweet wheat flavors up front with hints of banana bread in the background. Cloves and spicy hop notes round out the flavor. Excellent hefe.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with medium-to-high carbonation, but very well done. Not too thick or syrupy.

Drinkability: Delightfully refreshing, even during the Minnesota winter. Goes down easy with or without food.

I went to Town Hall to get a growler of their IPA, but found that they were out of it. I had tried the Hefe the previous night so I "settled" for a growler of that. It is a very solid, flavorful, refreshing Hefe.

03-16-2006 22:02:38 | More by jamesdergen
icemonkey908

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

Very cloudy opaque appearance. Smell is very sweet with hints of banana and vanilla. When tasted the banana becomes much more pronounced. Tasty beer. Classic hefe style and similar to other's I have had of this style. Easy to drink, fun to drink, a good all around hefe weizen.

05-18-2007 02:28:23 | More by icemonkey908
happilysurly

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a cloudy pale orange. Wow, the banana aroma is huge. I also get orange, cotton candy and cloves. Really interesting smell. The banana comes out even more in the taste than on the nose. It is thick and sweet with mild carbonation. The sweetness lingers in the mouth and the banana flavor is carried through to the end. Very nice I think.

04-04-2010 00:58:31 | More by happilysurly
DontCallMeSurly

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

It's weird, I never used to like hefes but a few days ago while visiting Town Hall a friend offered me a sip from his pint glass. My tastes must have changed drastically because I ended up walking out with a growler of it.

It pours out a nice light amber yellow with little foam on top. True to its style it is very hazy. Up front you get tons of bananas with a slight bit of spice in the background. Somewhere in between there are some delicious sweet malts along with some clove. The taste is pretty much the same, but with a bigger banana flavor. It's very smooth and extremely easy to drink.

06-06-2008 19:05:21 | More by DontCallMeSurly