Petunia's Pumpkin Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-14-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

I like starting off my evenings light. No sense in raping your tastebuds early on, right? Some guys might dive right in with the biggest, baddest beers that a brewpub has to offer, but not me, no sir. I'm patient.

So I started my Minneapolis excursion with Pumpkin Ale. Town Hall has been roundly brilliant, producing good-to-great versions of styles that I normally just don't care for (like Dortmunders). I like Pumpkin Ales. I know they're hard to brew, and I also know they're kinda for girls, but good pumpkin ales are nearly as good as bad pumpkin ales are bad and so I figured this one had to be great, right?

This is the first "in between" pumpkin ale I've ever had. It isn't as horrible as most of abortive brewpub attempts I've come across, but it's still not worth drinking.

Pour like iced tea. Minimal head. Nothing wrong looking.

Smells of sickly sweet sugared spices. No real hint of actual pumpkin--tastes more like if you were hold a Glade "Pumpkin Spice" candle up to your nose and take a big whiff. Big chemicals, processed sugars. Not entirely unpleasant, but not nice, and certainly not what I expect in an pumpkin ale.

Doesn't taste spicy, just sugary. Lots of sugar, like a Post cereal. Chemical traces in the middle, more sugar, and finally a light hint of canned pumpkin pie filling at the end.

My tastebuds were fine. This was the first beer of the night. I could understand this one tasting off if I had been hoppin' it up beforehand, but I wasn't. It's just off. A very rare miscue from an excellent brewer.

2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours an orangish amber color without much if a head on it. The. IDE has a lot of nutmeg and bubblegum in it with some hints of pumpkin and. Read malts. The taste is loaded with clove to the point it almost tastes like bubblegum. There is a bit of pumpkin and bready malt underneath, but not much. Ends with a bit of cinnamon. Nice creamy body as it goes down. I think this one is way too amped up on the nutmeg and misses the mark for me. Worth a shot? Sure. I would go with something else though.

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Served in a standard pint, the beer is orange with a slight chill haze. Not much head or lacing.

The nose greets you with an immediate blast of pumpkin spice & brown sugar. Smells very sweet.

The taste is sweet, to sweet. I liked the spice notes (nutmeg and cinnamon) but they could not balance out the beer. There is some honey notes but I would like to see more pumpkin flavor to go along with the spices. My wife could not finish hers, so I did.

The mouth is crisp but thins a bit in the end. I'm glad I tried it, but was happy to move on to more tasty offerings from TH.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A - Poured into a 5 oz. taster and drank right after the Chili Hefe they had going on. Golden orange beer with a small head that left some minor spots on the side.

S - A pumpkin beer. Nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, brown sugar. Smells sweet and actually quite nice. Not a huge pumpkin pie fan but can't argue with what they seem to have done here.

T - It's pretty sweet, and tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass. The pumpkin taste itself is very real and doesn't seem artificial at all. Good spices, cream, and pie crust. Too sweet and not my style, but solid for what it is.

M - Medium bodied, somewhat creamy, moderate carbonation.

O - A good beer if you like this kind of thing. I enjoyed it, but became a little tiring given how sweet it was. Worth trying though.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Orange amber in color, small head that was mainly a ring. Obviously a pumpkin ale from aroma, pumpkin and spices, but a decent malt character as well. The flavor was the most like an actually pumpkin pie of any pumpkin ale I have tried, but again there was a decent caramel/pale malt backbone. It's like it was as spiced as most pumpkin ales, but over more malt. Fairly smooth mouthfeel. Good beer, I didn't dislike it, but it was still a novelty seasonal. I don't know how anyone can sit and have more than one or two of these.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Porued on tap into a pint glass.

A- Clear orange brown/amber color, nice one finger frothy off white head, decent lacing on the side of the glass.
S- The aroma is pretty sweet, spice, cinnamon, fruity aromas, cherries, caramel, sweet malts, pumpkin.
T- Interesting beer, pumpkin definitely upfront, spice, cinnamon, slight cherry flavor, sweet malt, wow like eating cold pumpkin pie, really sweet.
M- Medium/light mouth feel, really smooth, crisp, finish, well carbonated, easy drinking.
O- First pumpkin beer I’ve ever had, really easy drinking and enjoyable, not my favorite style, but I can see how it goes perfectly with the cold October wheather.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

On-tap at the brewpub: Smeared dark gold with a very light hint to an orange translucency. Small firm cap of dulled white foam. Lacing is simple in design with strings and spots coating the glass well.

Aroma is a bit light but present of pumpkin seasonings and spice, honey candy, and dryish bread.

Taste is about the same. Intially crisply brisk and boldly smooth. Fairly light on the buds overall though with a favorable coating of pumpkin spiceyness and seasonings of cinnamon, paprika, salts, and vegetable leaves. Has a light honey bread backing keeping a yeilding sweetness underneath.

Feel is terrific for a pumpkin beer. Its crisp smooth body is quite bold and solidly based in a medium body. Carbonation is so very nice, slick, and lightly creamy with a nice little added touch of spicy pumpkin and herbal seasonings to top off it. The sweet and dryness; spice and firmness pull together for a nice mouthfeel.

A tad over average on flavors and smell for a pumpkin brew, nothing to get overly excited about. But its another substantially fine Town Hall drinker. One that could be easily enjoyed by those not looking for anything but...a simple tasty spiced brew.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours an off white head. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin. It is sweet and spiced. It smells like fall and pumpkin pie.

Taste: Near the same as the nose, but more pumpkin and whipped cream flavors. It also has malts that taste like pie crust. Simply put, it tastes like pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. A very nice feel to it. Ends dry, but clean.

Overall, a pumpkin beer that I actually enjoy. I am not fond of the style, but if they are bad right, they can be enjoyable. Glad I found a good one. Not overpowering in the spice category which is great.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Pour a kind of ruddy orange color, good foamy head, decent lacing, a few floaties though. The aroma is rather delicate (not thin, just delicate), the cinnamon the obvious spice but others more vague and mysterious. Hints of pumpkins dancing around, or is that just my imagination?

The beer was poured rather cold, so it needed some warming, but oh what difference that made. Again, the cinnamon is the more prevalent spice, everything rather front loaded and more or less fading away into the night. The body is underwhelming, decent carbonation, overall its a rather good beer.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Made with a mild ale base, using English malts and 27 pounds of pumpkin. 10 more pounds were added later, along with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and other pumpkin pie spices, and the brew simmered in those spices after fermentation. (That's my best paraphrasing of the brewer's information, found on the latest menu...apologies if I got anything wrong!)

Nearly clear, slightly hazed, pale orange/amber hue, thin, but lasting layer of off-white foam above.

Aroma: cinnamon on top, but tempered well with other spices, and the pumpkin lies below. Well-controlled spices, just enough to please the nose, not so much to scare anyone away.

Spices are on top of the taste, too, herbal/vegetal flavors riding it out below. Medium bodied, light, mild finish. Pumpkin spice flavors just up and tease the tongue with each new sip, then fade back, making for easy drinking.

I could have used a heftier body to suit my tastes, but, then, I'm not everyone, and this was used, in it's debut, as a fund-raising beer to benefit a former employee battling Lymphoma. Something to fit the season, that's not too bold that the average pint pounder can't stand a couple, and in doing so, add to the aid. ( Although, my friend couldn't have more than one, and I yearned for something hoppier after my glass had emptied.)

Actually, I like it quite a bit...the closer the beer gets to the bottom of the glass, the more I realize that...I'll have fun finishing the growler tonight!

Had this infused with chocolate. Very soft mouthfeel. Tons of pumpkin spice, nutmeg, and sweet. Good aromatics. The chocolate was very subtle but complimented the pumpkin nicely. Very good.

Draft. Pours an orange amber color with a slightly off-white head. Pumpkin, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon dominate the nose. Medium/light mouthfeel. Sweet upfront with transition to a nice pumpkin flavor. Nice lace on the glass. Lingering nutmeg flavor. As a self proclaimed pumpkin beer hater, this beer actually is pretty tasty. Liquid pumpkin pie. No flavor of alcohol or hops. Well done, this pie beer I can drink.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Dusty orange appearance. Decent sized light tan head with good lacing properties. Carbonation rises at a moderate pace. Nice aroma of vegetal pumpkin, cinamon and light ginger. This is a nice tasting pumpkin ale. It's not overly spiced, as some are. Just subtle, yet noticeable. Base seems to be an amber ale or something of the sort. There are some caramely tones mixing with the pumpkin essence, which is held in check as well. A growler of this is a nice way to pass a cool October Eve.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »