Festivus 2005 - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Stout |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 12-15-2005)
3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

I am sampling a cold growler poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a deep cocoa brown with a spongey tan head foaming up very easily to 3cm and fading slowly leaving a cratered surface as it recedes.
The aroma is a bit of chocolate and then all mint. I would say peppermint and I am not overly happy with the smell. Mint chocolate chip ice cream is what I expected and it is not quite as sweet on the nose.
The first sip reveals a very fine and gentle carbonation with a lighter body than I expected. Not very stout like. The flavor starts with a bit of chocolate, goes to mint briefly and finishes with some nice roasted malt. This is not what I thought it would be after the mint in your face aroma. The mint is much more balanced in the flavor and mixes better with the malt. I wonder if the mint leaves contributed to the thinner body? Overall the beer is drinkable, but the aroma is a bit strong and does deter me just a bit. Of course if you really like mint this wont be a problem for you. A good experimental beer, but I am glad I tried this one before I tried to make one as a homebrew, probably do a different brew now.

sulldaddy, Jan 25, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +9%

Black beer. Creamy yellow tinged head. Retention is solid. Lace is good. This beer acheives the desired effect on the nose. Chocolate mint sensation all the way. Great smell. On the buds, the mint is first and foremost. The chocolate is secondary. And everything else is tertiary...the roasted tones, the hops, the caramel maltiness, etc... Mouthfeel is pretty creamy. Lightly carbonated. Body is medium at best. Though this is enjoyable and quite creative, it's not one I'd personally make a session of.

Bighuge, Jan 04, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

An interesting offering for Festivus 2005. Appearance was very dark brown, as a stout should be. Smell was minty, very much so, which somewhat overpowered the cocoa flavor. Taste was also minty, but the cocoa was present, andhelped make up for the strong mint flavor (which I didn't really enjoy). Mouthfeel was what turned me off to this beer. Left a very waxy coating on the inside of your mouth, which, combined with the mint, made this taste like orajel. A very average beer when compared with the rest of Town Hall's resume.

TastyTaste, Jan 03, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

On-cask at the brewpub: Deep, dark, fudgey brown, nearly black appearance with a pinky high creamy foam of smoothed over light tan lather. The cap keeps pace for length and the lace is sheeting and broken with some thicker patches.

Aroma is mostly minty, fresh, clean, and fragrant with the slightest of hints to a milky chocolate backing and some deep roasty grain.

Flavors are a very nice meld of fresh mint leaves and milk chocolate. Semi-rich, fluffy and puffy to the lips and smoothly cool minted and brisk with an adequate amount of giving warmed milk chocolate to keep it safely in the realm of balance and soft palated pleasure. All in all, perfectly subdued and moderately bold with just a tad of roast across the very back. Quite a nice treat.

Feel is fantastic for a stout on-cask, the mint plays out cool, fresh, and brisk, while the chocolate rounds off in a wonderfully full, warm, inviting, soothing, silken softness, with a very light and easy going carbonation that embodies what a cask stout should be. Holiday rockin' good stuff!

Side note: Also had this on-tap and its got nothing on the cask. Cask or nothing on this one.

tavernjef, Dec 30, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +9%

I had a fellow who didn't care for my appreciation of beer mention (or my smart mouth) tell me that I should "go drink some home brewed mint-chocolate stout and get boring!" Fair enough. I did just that tonight...

This particular pint was jet black and had a thin, rocky head. Fresh, fresh mint jumps out at the first sniff and I start to worry that I was about to get suckerpunched by the mint when I finally taste this beer. The chocolate is there, too, albeit subdued. The taste follows the smell... fresh mint and roasted malt dominate with a dryness from the chocolate that somes out in the finish. It gets better with each sip and my wife, who usually has no more than a sip of stout, was ready to order a growler of this beer by the time the pint was finished. The mouthfeel is a bit thin but not bothersome. Overall, this is very drinkable. Probably not a session beer, but perhaps this would be a great "breakfast" stout. Good stuff.

bucko, Dec 17, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

This year, the Festivus celebration was a little different at Town Hall, with a pole set up by the cask handles, a posting of the traditions of Festivus, and an airing of greivances (well, a listing, didn't stay long enough to see if they were "aired") Also, I didn't stick around to witness any feats of strength...anyway, I had something better to do.

Another difference is the approach to this recurring winter seasonal. Didn't like the spiced ale of last year? This one's a cocoa powder and mint leaf flavored stout. Let's enjoy!

Minty aroma spills out from first pour out of the growler. We'll get to that later. For now, the appearance...big, and lasting, rocky cocoa-brown head...impressive! Color is deep mahogany, nearly black...a nice looking stout.

Aroma, chocolate mint to a "T", reminding one of the foil wrapped candies, York's, or somesuch....what would you do to bite into one? The two well-blended flavors stand over any others, but that's the point, then, isn't it. Very nice.

Taste: sweet and minty at the fore, fast fading, rolling right off, leaving cocoa powder at the back, and then nothing less than stouty goodness. Not too many other stout characteristics, though, little roast, practically no coffee, just a touch of grit. Extremely palatable; almost, for stoutophiles, too much so. Perhaps it needs a heartier body, as an esteemed drinking companion remarked this evening at the release, to be a good stout, but as an easy-to-drink uniquely flavorful holiday offering, I can excuse that small fault.

It could be beefier, and the mint could be stronger, but if this is cautious in that regard, it is still an experimental effort that stills shows off that trademark Town Hall ingenuity.

Me, a could drink this all night with no complaint.* I like a hint of mint in a quaffable stout. And after enough of it, I'm ready to take on the head of the family in the tests of strength.

Happy Festivus!

*and I almost did, until the clock tolled "too late"....no effect on sobriety or failing in the flavor...

feloniousmonk, Dec 15, 2005
Festivus 2005 from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.