Mocha Java Double Brown - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

pDev: 6%
Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: jdhilt on 06-15-2006)
3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Aroma initially presents with strong coffee, notably of fresh ground coffee and fresh brewed together. This reall dominates the smell and it's hard to pick up much else.
Nice tan bubbley (almost foamy) head with decent longevity. Dark brown, that is burgundy in the light. Drippy lacing.
This beer excels with the flavors. Again the coffee dominates, especially with the first drink. But in time pieces of other flavors show through. A bit of sweetness up front. A touch of sourness in the middle. Mild bitterness towards the end. The robustness of the coffee makes detecting the mocha tough (but it shows hints as it warms), however the lightness of the malt is there, especially as I think of how it might taste if it were a porter or stout.
Even after sitting in my fridge for two weeks the carbonation was still full and intact. Maybe too full as the carbonation seems a bit excessive and filling. It has a stingy, prickly quality that contributes a sharpeness to the drink, but it also softens up as it is swished around in the mouth. The body has a medium feel and a mild smoothness.
This is good...quite good, but I'm not blown away by it. I do like that it's a brown ale as I think that works very well.

garymuchow, Jul 24, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I’ve worked in many coffee shops and I must say the smell reminded me of walking into work. It had aromas of dark coffee with hints of chocolate.
It poured very dark red to burgundy with head that fizzled to a thin rim around the glass.
Just as the smell reminded me of working in a coffee shop, the taste brought to mind of drinking a cup of coffee. It finished with a coco powder zing. I had a hard time believing I was drinking beer.
The mouth feel was smooth with a playful light carbonation.
Over all, I thought this was a great beer. Like I’ve been saying it was a lot like an iced coffee.

WonderWoman, Jul 15, 2006
4.33/5  rDev 0%

This beer came dark black with some smoky cherry highlights.

Smelled of smoky coffee and sweet cocoa with some slight figs and prunes along with a slight confectioners sugar.

Tasted of smooth dark coffee and cocoa with a nutty cream. These flavors were blended wonderfully around the brown ale backbone. In the finish, there’s a slight sour tingle that helps liven things up a little.

The mouth feel was light bodied with a slight tingly carbonation.

This one was right on! Great flavors and an even better job of putting them together.

DarkerTheBetter, Jul 14, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

This was part of a sampler I tried yeaterday at Town Hall. All the beers were good, but this was my favorite. The flavor was full and is definitely a brown ale. At first, I thought I had a porter (I was only half paying attention to the server), but then realized that it had very few porter qualities and asked again what the name was--and it fits. While the beer warmed, different qualities came out, at first it was just a brown with a hint of coffee and chocolate, then it became a really nice coffee flavor and aroma then it changed over to a wonderful chocolate. This is best served a little warmer than I received it, and waiting was well worth it. Very filling, but seeing as it's something that I prefer, I would drink quite a few of these in a night if given the chance. I wish I had more opportunity to get a hold of these.

ccs, Jul 07, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Had it in a pint glass at the bar.

A- Very black in color a low head with just a bit of carbination activity.

S- Rich chocolatetones with some malt armoras

T- Chocolate and coffe flavors yet well balenced, really a great tase.

M- Alttle activity not much but goes down well

D- Easy to drink but it feels like a desert beer to me. And I would have another someday but probably not two in a row, too filling for me.

beckje01, Jun 29, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this one up since my waitress highly reccomended it. She informed me that the coffee beans used were from a local coffee shop and were high quality coffee beans. I think that it really came through in the taste of the beer. It really sets this beer apart from other coffee hybrid beers. It pours a really nice dark tone letting only a small amount of light through it. It sticks to the glass the whole way down with little to no head. Tastes of dark coffee beans maybe roasted, definatly roasted malts, and chocolate. Very light carbonation a rather light beer infact, but wonderfully blended. Gives you a kinda nice little boost. Overall I enjoyed this well balanced unique beer that really stood apart from the others in its genre.

ryantupy, Jun 28, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Picked up a growler over lunch last week, I can only imagine how good this will be…it sounds great. I poured it into a pint glass…a few times

A—pours dark brownish black, hints of light seep through the bottom of my pint glass, a 1 ½ inch tan creamy head develops and sparse, spotty lacing is produced

S—chocolate and coffee, nutty and sweet, it’s mocha java all right….

T—wonderful. Simply put…wonderful. The chocolate is the strongest flavor and it’s mixed with some mild coffee bitterness, no other flavors that I can detect…and it doesn’t really need any other flavors

M—thick and creamy, full bodied, medium carbonation

D—this is great…it’s a bit heavy so I can’t drink a lot of it, but 3 pints will do you right (I would have said four, but my wife enjoyed one of these as well).

hanco005, Jun 25, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Dark auburn tone. Not a lot of light gets through. Medium sized fluffy brown head. Retention is good as is the lacing. What an aroma!! Thick with coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. Everything a beer like this should have...and AMPLIFIED! Everything that I smelled I now taste. What a nice blend. I like the Double Brown base option. A unique twist (instead of, say, a porter or sout) that works great. Nice chocolatey malt tones. A little roasted edge. And the coffee blends perfectly. What a breakfast beer this would make. Light-medium bodied. Easy carbonation. A great drinker.

Bighuge, Jun 25, 2006
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Slightly caramel colored head died down to a ring shortly. The beer is very dark, some brown and red around the edges. There was some sweet chocolate malt and a little bit of a bready/yeasty character in the smell, but the aroma was dominated by espresso, and was quite good I might say. This is how I described the taste to my beer buddy after my first sip, "It tastes like a chocolate covered cherry covered in espresso beans." The beer is obviously sweet and chocolaty, but there is a tart cherry like flavor in there which sold me on this beer. Coffee is the most noticeable flavor in this beer but it provides a good backdrop for everything else that is going on. Definitely a bitter mouthfeel at first, but it smoothes as it goes down. Dessert beer here, but suprising drinkable at 5.4%.

dfried, Jun 22, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Very dark brown, closing in on black. Soft, delicate, smallish/medium stacked dark tan cap of firm, bumpified foam which lasts for a brief stay. Not much lacing to speak of, just a few spots that slip away quickly.

Aroma is a splendor of coffee beans; fresh, rounded, a touch of dark chocolate roast which overall gives the impression of an iced coffee drink. Quite a nice nose if you like the smell of cold fresh coffee beans.

Taste is pretty good, well mannered, firm, tasty, and a good portion of coffee making the realm across the palate in a fluffy cold pressed coffee essense. Solid roastability to it. Has a nice little tang to it that adds just a nudge of both chocolate and a fruity underlay, which tends to peak just before the finish. Coffee roast infused with dark chocolate powder lightly lays into the finish with the tangy sweetness returning underneath with a push of interest. Not all that different then a few other coffee brown/porter/stouts I've liked, and that's not a bad thing here as this is playfully tantalizing in flavors. A whole lot of coffee roast and semi tangy fruityness is perfectly pitched within its acceptability of length and flavor. Nice additins of chocolate too.

The body and feel of the beer is light/medium in texture with a smooth, tender, well-rounded, firm carbonation. Holds it place well on the palate with a balance of roasted coffee sweetness. Definately keeping to the Brown Ale mentality than say a somewhat thicker, complexing porter or stout.

A nice coffee treat for those who like em. Reminded me alot of the Coffee Stout by New Glarus with a bit more boldness and length to it. Could drink in quite a bit of this as its easy going down and flavored with a simple, yet fitting balance of coffee roast, chocolate, and sweetness. Growler is nearly empty already and seems like I just opened it. A solid coffee brown.

tavernjef, Jun 18, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

This is one of those beers I'm truely thankful for. There arent enough (there are hardly any) solid coffee beers. This one is better than solid, however, its more outstanding.

Dark brown body with tan head. Smells of freshly roasted coffee and tases it. Fairly similar to Coffee Bender from Surly which was out only a few weeks ago briefly, but theres more than just great coffee. A great mellow chocolate flavor follows and the beer finishes dry. If I were a better judge of coffee, I'd attempt to better explain it. Its fairly thick and a definate sipper. All I know is I like it and I'm looking forward to finishing my growler of it.

A breakfast beer if there ever was one.

tempest, Jun 17, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Peace Coffee provided their Birchwood Breakfast Blend beans, Mike and Jeff tossed in cocoa powder, and it adds up to much more than a brown ale...a double brown! (Though I thought the double referred to extra alcohol. 5.4% is fairly mild...must be ramped-up malt?)

Dark brown cast to it, nearly black...fizzy tan head, dissipates quick from this pour.

Aroma wafts out sweetish chocolate and malt immediately. On further inspection, ...ah, there's the coffee...and the cocoa...and so on, doing this little tango all the while...

Big cocoa on the palate, swims about a bit, spills deliciousness here and there, then softly fades. Smoo-oo-ooth! Very easy to drink, yet so full of flavor. Full bodied, soft cocoa in the finish, with coffee putting in a last word behind it.

Taste retains it's primacy with each new sip. A session ale, for those who insist on bold flavors.

Chocolate lovers who need a jolt of java, this is your beer!

feloniousmonk, Jun 15, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Served on tap (16oz glass, $3.75) at the Town Hall Brewery Minneapolis, Mn. Pours with one finger light tan head that goes to a ring leaving some lace. Black color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Coffee nose. Starts balanced but just on the malty side. Finish is strong coffee. Nice stout. Release date was Jun 14, 2006.

jdhilt, Jun 15, 2006