Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Uber Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 05-02-2007

Reviews by icemonkey908:
3.8/5  rDev n/a

This beer presents a very strange combination of hoppy flavors that combine in interesting ways. A very strong hop nose leads to hints of blueberry and citrus. This is followed closely in the taste. New flavors seem to emerge as this beer is consumed.

A very interesting brew. I think I'll have to have a few more to fully appreciate it but I was becoming quite fond of it by the end of the glass. (401 characters)

4.18/5  rDev n/a

Clear orangish toffee in color, thin off white head. Sweet grainy aroma, full of fruity notes like citrus and pineapple with some resinous notes. The taste had a lot going on that I couldn't pick up from the aroma. Crisp clean malt but I wrote in my notes "semi heafty malt," there was consideralble body there. Well hopped brew, musty and resinous, almost gritty and piney tannins, but not over the top taste bud peeling. What I couldn't really figure out was this fruity flavor that went with it. I think I best described it as being like Juicy Fruit gum. Citrusy, pineapples, berrys, and tropical fruits, but with this vanilla like undertone. Medium bodied, delicious to drink.

Overall: interesting, original brew. This complexity of flavor with a sessionable body made it a winner in my book. Juicy Fruit gum? Weird. (823 characters)

4.12/5  rDev n/a

Clear copper. Thin light beige head. Lace comes in sporadic patches. Really nice aroma. Fragrant and minty PLUS resinous, leafy and grassy. Some sweet toffeeish malt tones on the nose as well. This is a solid tasting APA and quite unique. The malt/hop combo is one I've never had in a pale ale. The Saaz and Hallertau definitely give this pale ale a unique twist. The hops impart some lemony, grassy, herbal, spicy and earthy characteristics. (A stark contrast to the bright citric/piney qualities you usually find in an APA.) But this is a nice change of pace. The malts impart a toffeeish feel to the beer. And give a little candy like sweetness. The beer is creamy and smooth in the mouth and checks in with a body hovering around medium. Lingering bitterness is pleasant. Nice beer. (786 characters)

4.08/5  rDev n/a

Okay, first off: I don't know how to do the umlauts on this keyboard, but they should be there, definitely.

Second: what an odd duck we have here, an American pale ale heavily hopped with Czech Saaz and German Hallertau hops. Referred to on the menu as a "German Pale Ale." No such animal, friends!

Third, yay, I got this growler gratis as part of the Town Hall Onion Tuesday promotion, drinking it in my new, free Onion "I enjoy drinking beer" pint glass.Goody goody!

Now, let's drink it!

Pale, clear orange/amber look, under a creamy staying head, leaving lace. Nice!

Interesting aroma, with orange peel spilling out first, vanilla, cream, lemon zest,...what else? Sweet, slightly spicy, and unlike anything I've ever encountered before. Most interesting.

Taste: again, sui generis. Clean, hoppy, fairly smooth...brisk, sweet, citrusy flavor. Snappy, crisp, easy to drink...boy, I've had these hops in other Euro-brews before, but maybe not in this combination, or with these malts. I can't get over how unusual this is!

Mouthfeel/texture is a bit of a wrangle, though...very odd, takes some getting used to, for sure. Sticky herbal hops cling to the palate, citrus and spice hang on...there's a long finish, that eventually dries.

Drinkability, though, is a breeze...getting over that unique play on the tongue is easier than I thought...so easy to swallow!

Dang, this is good! (1,409 characters)

Uber Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.