2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hamlet's Curse - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Hamlet's Curse
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English Strong Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 07-11-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 8 | Reviews: 8
Reviews by Mistofminn:
Mistofminn

3.75/5  rDev -9%

Had this for dinner tonight while watching the Twins game.

Served in a pint glass, this one is clear with a ruby mahogany color. Little to no head comes with this one, but it's light tan in color. Leaves behind no lacing.

The nose is fruity, with toffee and caramel notes, dark fruits like raisins and fruits, even some cherries in there. I get a light sweet and sticky malt backbone, with a very light pilsner like hopping.

The taste is much like the nose, toffee and caramel with raisins and cherries. Sweet malts and a crisp texture.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, was expecting something heavier given the ABV (7.9% this time around). Crisp carbonation, a lot like a macro lager in that sense. Drinkability is good, but it was surprisingly difficult to get through a pint.

Overall, not my favorite Town Hall beer. I wasn't expecting much, as I'm not really a fan of the style, but I figured it was worth a shot and it is.

04-22-2010 04:05:01 | More by Mistofminn
ahalloin

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Live review at the bar at Town Hall. Before you call me an antisocial dork for typing up a beer review on my iPhone at the bar, realize my predicament. I'm in town for a wedding, of which my wife is standing up for, so while she is involved with getting hair, nails, etc... done, I have no other obligation than to show up on time for the event in the correct outfit...kind like my job in the military! Also, I need some distraction to keep me from pounding the goodly offerings of Town Hall as I need to drive...at some point.
(cave man voice):Typing...on iPhone...hard....Take...time.

A: Pours a delightful dark copper. Reddish hues permeate the clear fluid. An off white head recedes rather quickly to a thin hoop around the edge of the glass.

S: The smell exudes a wonderfully sweet toffee and caramel aroma. Some English hops notes creep through with an earthy nature but this is all about the malt.

T: The taste has a nice caramelized toffee flavor with notes of maple syrup and a slight berry sweetness. The finish has a slight pleasant bitterness with a hint of alcohol drying out the sweetness.

M: The mouthfeel is very smooth with low carbonation, perfect for the style.

D: I think the drinkability is great. Pleasing caramelized sweetness without being too heavy helps this beer be very accessible.

04-30-2010 18:24:15 | More by ahalloin
tavernjef

3.83/5  rDev -7%

On-tap at the brewpub: Deep dark pale brown color and very muted glow with a tint of cherry red to it. Thin, dense capping of lightly stained tan foam sits briefly before slipping to a thin collar and a few stirngs of thin lacing.

Nice aroma of dark toffee and caramel sweetness mixing with really deep fruity ascents of cherry, raisin, and fig breads. Some maple and vanilla notes keep it secured in deepness as it settles.

Flavors are malty and sweet with a bit of caramel wrapped in moist dark fruity stuff. Bready, mellowing, yet partially lush, semi rich, and low ended with some figgyness, maple, brown sugar, and earthy touches as it finishes. Overall, just a melange of good Ole' malty sweetness and a pale dull finish.

Feel is a bit feathery, yet kinda slick and trying to go creamy. Has about a medium body with a slow mellowing tone of sweetness and a finish that really just pales off and doesn't develope as much as it should.

Perhaps this batch is not quite the same, or has changed in some manner as when first released as I was not all that taken with it and went right back to the Mama after this one.

10-07-2007 01:32:48 | More by tavernjef
dogger6253

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Reddish-brown in color, not much of a head - a sparse film on the top. The body is lighter in color toward the bottom, sort of like a sunrise. No lacing is left behind.

An up front aroma of hops, slight coffee in the background. There is a light hint of berries, but overall the scent is very floral.

Coffee, toffee and ginger are the major players in the flavor. I felt like the aftertaste kind of had a flowery taste to it, sort of like lavendar. The taste was pretty sweet too, perhaps the toffee, sort of a caramel/brown sugar type of malty sweetness.

The high carbonation was a bit much for me, kind of biting combined with the lavendar taste. It was really refreshing and very good overall, but I wouldn't drink more than one.

09-21-2007 03:20:26 | More by dogger6253
ZAP

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Aroma-Deep maroon/brown color...light tan head..

Aroma-Fantastic....rich, sticky malts, sweet dark fruits, rum, toffee

Taste-Malty and sweet up front...dark fruits....not as full flavored as the nose leads you to believe but still definitely tasty.

Mouthfeel-Medium to full bodied...finishes a little dry

Drinkability-Good solid old ale....love then nose....

07-24-2007 04:33:22 | More by ZAP
Bighuge

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Tarnished mahogany. Thin light beige head. Lace has good stick to it. Aroma is very rich. Impressive. Full of caramel and toffee and nougat. Onto the flavor.... Nice malty tones. Again with the caramel and toffee and nougat, but also some fruitiness. Darker fruits and berries. And a little of that fig and date dance. The mouthfeel is pretty luxurious. Silky and smooth. Alcohol is not very conscious here. Overall a medium body and nice texture. This is another area where Mike excels above and beyond...Old Ales. We all know about the IPAs, DIPAs, Impy Stouts, BBL aged beers, etc.... But when he has cranked out an Old Ale, it has always been top notch. I only hope some of this batch is sleeping in a barrel....

07-23-2007 22:00:22 | More by Bighuge
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"This is the very ecstasy of love"

--Hamlet, scene ii, act 1

Softly glowing sunset coral with slim edges of lemon and orange... probably my favorite color when it comes to beer. Up top sits a dense disk of sponge-like foam that's equal parts pastel orange and pale caramel. Although only one finger of glass is visible so far, it's thickly coated with lace. Outstanding!

This is the sort of nose that, even though I like it right away, should open up impressively as the beer warms. We'll see. Right now I get melted caramels, brown sugar and indeterminate citrus fruit. One thing the aroma tells me is that this will be delicious beer. Big surprise.

Hamlet's Curse is pretty much what I expected after my eyes and nose did their things. As far as I'm concerned, the style that was chosen is right on the money. At least I can't think of one that fits the beer any better. Leave it to Town Hall to create the best English strong ale that I've ever tasted.

Like the nose, warming is probably going to send the flavor into orbit. At this point, it's still a bit chilly so the hops and alcohol need to mellow a bit. Great gouts of caramel malt conjure up comparisons to English toffee pudding, brown sugar and orange marmalade-slathered brown bread.

Come to think of it, the classic TH 'hopped to the gills' nature of this beast probably puts it into the American strong ale category; especially the grapefruit and orange citrusiness. It's hard to quarrel, though, when the beer is named Hamlet's Curse. In some ways, this bold, delicous ale reminds me of Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard. That isn't bad company to keep, no siree.

As I drink the final few ounces of my first glass, I realize just how much this beer hits all the notes that I like (most) big beer to hit. It's chock full of ingredients (big on both malt and hops), it's both sweet and bitter, and it's incredibly silkysmoothcreamystickyluscious in the mouth. Why the hell wouldn't I love it?

It's a good thing that I can reuse adjectives in my reviews. Otherwise I'd be at a loss when it comes to describing Town Hall beer. The trick is in finding original and interesting ways to say 'tremendous', 'incredible', 'delicious' and 'stunning'. Don't let the name fool you for one minute. Hamlet's Curse is a blessing.

07-21-2007 14:01:07 | More by BuckeyeNation
feloniousmonk

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Forgot to copy the brewer's info this time...oopsy-daisy! And Andy said they'd done this one before, but under a different name...I don't think so, can't find anything like it anywhere. In any case, it appeared out of the blue, with no fanfare when I visited Tuesday night, and now let's drink some!

Deep magenta hue, slimmish head....

Sweetness in the nose, sweet, firm, distictly malty...dark fruits and minor caramel and toffee...a maltier affair, with plenty of British hops.

Slick, good texture on the palate, toasty, caramel-y, then the mellow fruit, very sweet, but not too much so, well-balanced, indeed.

Full-bodied, with plenty of trick and tickle on the tongue...a sweet and sassy affair...reminds me of Theakston's Old Peculiar...not too strong, thick and malty, but terribly significant and dripping with flavor. Nearly candyish in the malty sweetness, I nearly think. King Caramel.

So many good things going for it, it's tough not to love. Doesn't fit the season, but I've always got a hankering for a brew this good.
I need to start a party, just to have an excuse to spread a beer this good around. Yum, yum, and once again, yum!

07-11-2007 10:10:22 | More by feloniousmonk
Hamlet's Curse from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.