Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

Ratings: 252 | Reviews: 110
Reviews by LordAdmNelson:
4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

What a beer. This one really blew me away. A very pretty orange color but little head developed on this one. Nose is amazing--fresh hoppy citrus intermingles with real sweet mango notes. It's like smelling a fruit basket. Flavor really delivers with a truly unique IPA experience. Exceptional fresh mango flavors overlay a citrus and leafy hop profile that fades into a moderate and balanced malt backbone. Medium to full mouthfeel, this one really delivers. I think the other Town Hall beers I had were good, but not out of this world. This beer is out of this world, however. My only complaint really is that the mango mutes some of the bitterness, but I got my bitter fix on regular Masala Mama anyway.

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On nitro tap at Towh Hall Lanes.
A-a finger of dense white nitro head sits atop a burnt orange brew with some dark golden highlights when held to the light. Some haze.
S-mango (green vs overripe), some cedar like evergreen notes as well. Malt isn't really there in the nose. I think the nitro inhibits some volatiles.
T-tons of mango hit you first then some creaminess from the nitro and malt finishing with a piney bitterness, which isn't as strong as what you get in masala mama. Nice beer.
M-the added creaminess from the nitro is quite nice. I'll take it over the carbonate zing you get from CO2. A little longer finish than I'd like with moderate bitterness.
O-gotta like the mango. A tasty beverage.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A huge thanks to mothman for sending me a growler of this.

Shared with raceway40 and SamuelJackson45. Poured into my Delerium Tremens tulip glass.

A: A nice cloudy orange/copper color. A one finger head, with moderate lacing.

S: Simply fantastic. I think i literally spent more time smelling this beer than I did drinking it. The mango is overwhelming, followed by some great citrus notes from the hops.

T: I hate to say but the taste was a little underwhelming after the nose. The aroma of mango is much stronger than the actual flavor of it. Still though, this is a great tasting beer. The mango notes interplay nicely with the citrus flavors from the hops. Fairly sweet.

M: Nice and smooth, with a good level of carbonation.

D: Drinkability is simply through the roof. This is a really tasty beer that I would gladly indulge in again. My second glass, from the end of the growler had some nice little chunky bits of mango in it that added a bit more sweetness. Great stuff. Thanks again Ben.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Growler

Thanks for opening this growler, Rich!

Slightly hazed golden orange and gold with a thin near-white head. Leaves spots of lacing down the glass.

The aroma is my favorite part of this beer. This is intensely tropical and fruity: lots of grapefruit, orange, and a bit of mango, unsurprisingly.

The flavor is relatively high in bitterness surprisingly after the incredibly sweet and fruity aroma. Amongst the bitterness is tropical fruit character and a bit of sweetness.

Medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation.

A wonderfully aromatic beer and overall a very good IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap at the brewpub. Poured into a 10 oz. goblet glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and slightly hazy amber orange with a little ruby red. Moderate amount of bubbles. Decent two fingers of off white head that slowly fade into a thin layer. Good amount of lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: Huge vibrant aroma of citrus and tropical fruits. Big hints of mango, grapefruit, pineapple, and oranges. Hints of honey and a little candied sugar. Also some bready malts in the background. Smells fairly sweet and very citrusy on the nose.

Taste: A very citrus forward and fairly sweet taste. Good taste of mango, oranges, pineapple, grapefruit, and even some honeydew. Also some hints of sugar and a little honey. Some bready caramel malts and earthy hops linger in the background. Lots of fresh citrus although the bitterness is fairly light for such a big citrus forward IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Very creamy and somewhat sticky. Sweet but finishes somewhat dry. Very smooth.

Overall: A very interesting and tasty take on a IPA. Very big fruity taste that achieves a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap @ GTOM

Easily one of my favorites at Great Taste.

A cloudy orange pour with a thick, white head.

Tons of citrus aroma. Mangos, mangos, more mangos, some orange and lemon dominate this IPA. It's nice and bitter, finishes dry and is 110% refreshing. Drinks almost like fruit juice on a hot summer day.

Wow, was this something else! I could put a whole growler of this down in an afternoon and not think twice. If you love mangos, what the hell are you waiting for?

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%

Growler shared by JP - much obliged!

Pours an almost opaque copper color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts overrun by large amounts of tropical fruit hops - and of course mango. The mango is superbly crisp and enhances the tropical fruit and hints of herbal hops. If it were possible I might give this a 5.5 for the category, really amazing.

Tastes very good but not as intense or complex as the nose. Pale malt flavors kick things off and are overtaken almost immediately by large amounts of tropical fruit and herbal hop flavors. Mango flavors join in shortly thereafter but don't pop as much as they did in the nose. Midway through the sip the herbal hop flavors take over a bit, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I remember enjoying Masala Mama a lot but this treatment blows it out of the water. One of the more distinct beers I've ever had and it is amazing how the mango integrated with an already great beer. Seek this one out and give it a shot.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

Had on tap during their anniversary week. Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a small white head on top that reduces to a thin cap on top with little bits of lacing here and there.

S: Wow, tons of fresh mango, it really dominates the aroma. There is also a bit of light pineapple and a grassy aroma. Love this.

T: Again, a huge burst of mango and other tropical fruit flavors, more light grassy. Definitely on the sweeter side.

M: Medium bodied, syrupy and sweet, but still smooth and easy drinking. Nice level of carbonation.

O: As mango is one of my favorite fruits, I loved this beer. Yes, it is very sweet, but I would be pumped to drink this one often.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

64oz growler straight from the brewery, graciously shared by Davolebomb

served in standard pint glasses

A - pours with a thin wisp of loose, fluffy light orange tinted foam. blink and its gone. the beer is very muddy and cloudy, burnt orange in color. pretty unique looking though not quite appealing.

S - sweet and ripe, freshly pureed mangos. balanced a bit by bright wet piney hops with a slightly floral twinge.

T - slightly tart and sweet mangos and oranges sits atop slightly bready, crunchy malt bed. assertive piney hops with flashes of earth and grass. picking up some lemon peel as it settles, along with a delicate booziness.

M - medium bodied with tight and crispy, yet moderate carbonation. slightly dry, chewy, and sweet in the finish, with some lingering hops and a subtle alcohol burn.

D - wonderful balance and hands down the best execution of fruit meets hops that I have ever had. i prefer the un-mango version of this slightly more (also graciously shared by Dave).

3.64/5  rDev -15.5%

Enjoyed at the brewpub with the FMonk, Al McArthy. Not much in aroma, mango neutralized the hop. Looks fruitier, adding some bulk and colour to regular IPA. Gives it some fruity to the bitterness. Overall its a wash and a change of pace. You have to chase down this one, even though advertised as always on Mondays.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

On-cask at the brewpub. Ordered a 12 oz. glass before dinner and it was a tasty little appetizer.

The nose is packed full of fresh-cut mango. Damn, this is way better than any sugar-y mango juice or drink I've had. It almost tastes and smells like it's still a tad ripe, but its still quite tasty. I was hoping for a little more hops character, but as the beer really warms (it was already served at 52F) grapefruit hops and spice develops. Very tasty, very drinkable, try this beer if you like hops and fruit. This is the best hoppy fruit hybrid I've had.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed on 3/2/09

Served a beautiful amber color that lights as you go down the glass with an awesome one-finger creamy head that sticks around for the entire show. The aroma is that of a superior IPA balanced with a nice hint of mango peeking through. The taste is a wonderful hop explosion that is immediately dulled by the sweet mango flavor that is just enough to hold its own against the hops. For the amount of hops in this brew, the mouthfeel is amazingly smooth and not at all sticky like one would assume. The drinkability is beautiful due to the fruity nature of this IPA. In my opinion, next to Surly Furious this is my favorite IPA!

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Peach colored with a small but consistent film for head; decent lacing

S: Grapefruit from the hops dominate but the mango creeps in--as does a sweet malty undertone

T: Mango sits amazingly on top of the grainy malts and grapefruity hops but as was evident in the aromas, not all of the pleasant sweetness comes from the mango and hops--there is a pleasant malt backbone

F: Great, even mouth feel

D: So drinkable--I only wish I could enjoy this at home: great beer

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Growler shared by alfrantzell. Thanks, Arne, for this elusive tick.

Pours a murky orangish-amber color with a large whitish head that fades quickly. Looks sort of like crap, but for what it is it's fine.

The aroma is big floral, citrusy, and herbal hops and HUGE mango. Mango juice in yo' face!

The flavor is dominated by mango juice. Besides that there is sweet malt and herbal tea-like hop notes.

Medium-bodied with carbonation on the lower side and a slightly resinous mouthfeel.

Good stuff overall. A beer like none other I've had before, and pretty easy to drink.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz growler into an oversized tulip. Big thanks to joshuaseresse for this in a recent trade.

Pours a deep murky burnt orange, with several big & foamy fingers of dirty off-white head. This peters down pretty darn quickly, looking flat and dead with a light foamy ring around the edges and leaving just a light smattering of spotty lacing down the sides of the glass. The mango immediately jumps out in the aroma, being full of juicy smelling sugars and fruit character. Pine and earth cuts through the center of things with a certain amount of sharpness, while light toasted malts are also present and mostly mingle with the sweetness of the mango. Some light floral tones hang on the edges of the nose.

The taste is fruit and sugary feeling in the mouth, with a mix of bread, sweeter caramel, and mango flavor that literally just drips with an overripe juiciness to it. This blend leaves a big impression on the profile, before starting to pull up before the swallow and prickling the tongue with more hoppy notes of resins, grapefruit, bitter rind, and spice which all linger with an earthy and dry feel. Just a little bit of residual fruit and sugars hang on the lips with a light smack after each sip of this. The mouthfeel is medium, maybe a touch fuller bodied, with a crisp prickliness to the carbonation along where all of that bitterness runs, while being more thick and slick underneath where that overripe fruit and sticky malt resides. Overall, this is just hugely drinkable and I'm not getting one iota of alcohol from the body at all.

I initially had some worries when I first cracked this growler, as the rapidly faded look and an almost metallic feel that initially came out in the taste (which then rapidly disappeared as this warmed) had me fearing that maybe this had spent more time in the growler than it should have. The more I had of this though, the more that I realized that I couldn't have been more wrong and this REALLY grew on me the more I worked on it. The mango, while strong, gives this quite a refreshing fruity quality but there is more than enough bitterness to keep the hopheads happy as well. I must say though that the drinkibility was what impressed me the most though. I was ripping through glasses of this much faster than I seem to remember doing with my last growler of the regular Masala Mamma. Wow, I really ended up enjoying this. Wish I had some more.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending this one down for myself and caSSino to tick (well me to tick...). First beer I've had since my accident on 11/11/11! Reviewed live. Served from growler into a NoDa Brewing snifter. Pours hazy bright orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma is comprised of sweet malt, mango, pine, caramel, fruit hop, and pine hop. The flavor is of sweet malt, mango, pine, caramel, fruit, fruit hop, and pine hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. This was a great way to start back drinking. The mango is definitely present and makes a nice balanced flavor with the hops. An easy drinker that I suggest all beer lovers try to get on their palate.

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%

On-tap at the brewery. From notes:

A- Hazy amber color, decent head and lacing.

S- Mango, mango and more mango. Thats all I can smell, it is a glorious scent though.

T- For the most part same as the smell, mango. Very sweet and somewhat bitter. Some apricot and hops. The flavor is actually very good, but halfway through I know I won't be ordering another.

M- Medium body with a good carbonation level.

D- Very interesting brew, unlike any other. I will order this anytime they have it around, but only one!

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Many many many many thanks to dontcostnuthin for sharing this with me. I owe you one John!

A- Pours a murky orangish brown color. Almost looks like fresh made apple cider. Half finger off white head that caps the beer. Spotty lacing with some streaks on the sides of the glass.

S- When I first opened the growler all I could smell was mango. To be honest it made my mouth water. After pouring it I took another sniff. Tons of fresh mango aroma. This dominates the nose to be honest. There is also some citrus hops and light spicey hop to this that balances it out a little bit. Mostly still mango aroma though.

T- Mango is the first flavor I taste and it comes through bursting. Directly after this there is a light bitter hop bite. The middle of the beer has light malt character without actually being overly so if that makes sense. There is another light mango burst with some spicey hops in the ending. The alcohol in this is faint and all in the back.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little lacking but I forgive because of my way I got the beer. Mango was left on the palate along with more mango and light alcohol in the aftertaste. Flavor was mango forward yet balanced by the malts and hops. Medium alcohol drying on the palate. Clean tasting overall.

D- This beer is incredible to me. I love fresh fruits and this one delivers on the flavor without the artifical off flavors of other fruit beers. The ABV is low enough that a growler or many pints of this is something that can be done. This is my second beer from Minneapolis Town Hall and to be honest I think they know what they are doing...and doing it good.

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

Growler generously provided by DoctorRock. Thanks Andy!

Pours a very cloudy rustic orange. No signs of carbonation from the pour. Just a small quarter inch pf tan head and spotty lacing.

Sweet freaking nectar. Gons of juicy mango thats laced with a refreshing orange after taste.

Taste follws the aroma exactly. This IPA is slightly maltier than I'd typically like, but it works with the huge mango body. Slight dry finish thats very inviting.

Very thick and creamy for an IPA. I bet when its a little more fresh and on tap, more carbonation shines through.

Very enjoyable. I drank the entire growler to myself during game 7 of the world series. Insanely sessionable for as thick as it is.

Thanks again for the rare gem Andy.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a semi clear light copper color. It smells sweet and tart. The server told me it was the Masala Mama IPA infused with mangos. I think it made the Masala Mama taste a lot better. The taste is much sweeter and more tart than the regular IPA, you can really taste the fruit addition, but it has a nice was of mellowing out the bitterness. It smells and tastes grapfruity a bit like a hopslam.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Thrilled to finally have been able to sample this one, I think this is easily one of my top five most sought after. Lovely pint, served cold and proudly enjoyed.

Rich golden amber pour, lots of highlights of yellow and bright orange hints throughout. A light cloudiness lays in it as a three finger head of white comes up and over the top of the glass. Rich lacing down the sides yields a wonderfully complete look that is simply stunning. Aroma is huge, rich citrus notes that are dominated by a stunningly fresh fruit juice aroma. Rich mangos, , ripe grapefruit and a wonderful fresh, hop aroma. So rich and fresh, I could have drank this for breakfast everyday and been happy. Each sip brought even more complex and stunningly wonderful flavors. Rich mango, orange, grapefruit, no hint of any malt balance here, just straight up hop juice mixed with tropical fruit that is balanced perfectly. so drinkable I could have had a gallon and a half of this one.

Amazing beer. One of the best, if not the best single ipa i have had in years. Worth every ounce of angst I have had to try it.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Turbid appearance, completely opaque. The head is fleeting, the body, unsurprisingly, is the color of mango flesh.

Tons of mango on the nose. Sweet and tart mango flesh with an herbal, citrusy hop note buried under the fruit. A great nose, I really like the fruit character.

Tastes like bitter mango juice. The fruit flavor is huge, but thankfully more citrusy and lightly tart than sweet. There's maybe a hint of malt, but the mango really obliterates the base beer. Hop flavors are present in the form of citrus and herbs. It finishes similar to Masala Mama; bitter and punchy, but clean. The malt character of Masala Mama is lost here.

This was fairly enjoyable and very easy to drink, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again. When it comes to IPAs, I prefer the fruit flavors to come from hops.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Mango Mama pours a murky, milky, muddled deep orange. No lacing, no retention. It's really unattractive... but it DOES look like what's to come. It looks like mango puree was poured in and swirled around.

Aroma is a big punch of mango, although it shows off at least initially as mango, guava, pineapple, nectarines and stone fruit. But the fruit is above all else, with a bit of citrus or pine at the fringe.

On the palate, this is punchy with that mango fruit that is cut off by a ragged, back half bitterness, full of resin and pine. It's super drinkable and enjoyable, a nice medium bodied brew that delivers on the mango, finishes dry and lightly bitter. It doesn't, however, layer on the flavor, or leap entirely out of the glass.

I really enjoyed it, it's unique, it actually does a good job of allowing the Masala Mama to show up in the back half, however... it's just Good. Not great. Really enjoyable as a regular treat at my local brewpub, absolutely worth trying (it's very unique)... just a shade short of a truly great beer.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Surprised to find this on-tap at the brewpub yesterday.

a - pours a deep golden color, pretty hazy, one-inch ivory head with decent retention and good lacing

s - incredible slightly green fresh mango aroma, like you just cut a mango in half, mixed with some grapefruit hoppiness, slight alcohol note

t - big citrusy bitterness up front with lots of grapefruit and orange, mid-palate and finish are dominated by an amazingly intense mango flavor, like the smell, it taste like just bit into a slightly green and very fresh mango rind and all, lingering bitterness on the finish with only a slight alcohol presence

m - medium-bodied, medium-to-higher carbonation, very active in the mouth, very dry and bitter finish, slight alcohol warming

d - pretty intense bitterness limits drinkability somewhat, I love the flavor, but I could see the big mango flavors getting a bit tiresome after a few glasses

Perhaps the most spot-on fruit flavor I've ever tasted in a beer -- the mango aroma and taste is incredible. It doesn't seem as complex as the regular version due to the intense mango flavors, but it's a damn good variation.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Figured I'd get the double tick on this one. Growler brought back from the brewery three days ago. This will give me the opportunity to see the head anyway. Poured into a pint glass.

2.5 A: Frothy off-white head falls quickly to nothing. Looks more like diarrhea out of a growler for some reason.

4.5 S: Well, there's a ton of mango. Mango! I guess I'm not really that surprised. Pineapple, some grapefruit, and just a touch of neutral maltiness. The fruit covers up anything else that might be there. Just like on-tap.

4.5 T: Damn good and better than Masala. Mango again is strongest flavor, though there's a fairly assertive bitterness. Pineapple, coconut, grapefruit, and noticeable caramel maltiness. Just like on-tap.

4.5 M: Medium body. Maybe a touch more carbonation that desired. Super creamy and smooth. Good here. Just like on-tap.

5.0 D: Very drinkable. Awesome taste and great mouthfeel. Just a great beer that lives up to the hype. Just like on-tap.

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery