Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Mango MamaMango Mama

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 249 | Reviews: 110
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

On tap at Town Hall, came to me with a small fading head. Much darker than the O.G. mama.

The smell was that of the regular Mama, lush citrus fruit and a sweetened pine background with a small notion of fruity, under-ripe piney mango.

The taste was sensational, all the balance and pronounced pine, grapefruit and sweet malty goodness of the original. Then the mangoes come into play, up front in the mouth and integrated perfectly into the mother beer. Real mango flavor minus the intense sweetness of the naked fruit, never overbearing and they seem to be tasted incrementally from the sip to the swallow. Awesome.

Mouthfeel was good, nice carbonation, not syrupy at all and slippery on the tongue.

Overall, awesome brew, low abv, high drinkability and tastes wonderful. I wish this was available in growlers, but sadly I will just have to sip snifter by wonderful snifter.

4.99/5  rDev +16%

This has got to be the best beer on the planet.
Looks like a standard IPA, light orange with a slight haze and is topped by a small head.
The nose reeks of powerful exotic tropical fruits - mango, peaches, kiwi, grapefruit, pineapple, oranges. So good.
Taste does not let me down as all of these fruits transpire in my palate. I've never had such a complex IPA that brings out dynamic tropical flavor. Most are just grapefruity but not this versatile. Thankful to have had this. Easily better than heady and Pliny!

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Thrilled to finally have been able to sample this one, I think this is easily one of my top five most sought after. Lovely pint, served cold and proudly enjoyed.

Rich golden amber pour, lots of highlights of yellow and bright orange hints throughout. A light cloudiness lays in it as a three finger head of white comes up and over the top of the glass. Rich lacing down the sides yields a wonderfully complete look that is simply stunning. Aroma is huge, rich citrus notes that are dominated by a stunningly fresh fruit juice aroma. Rich mangos, , ripe grapefruit and a wonderful fresh, hop aroma. So rich and fresh, I could have drank this for breakfast everyday and been happy. Each sip brought even more complex and stunningly wonderful flavors. Rich mango, orange, grapefruit, no hint of any malt balance here, just straight up hop juice mixed with tropical fruit that is balanced perfectly. so drinkable I could have had a gallon and a half of this one.

Amazing beer. One of the best, if not the best single ipa i have had in years. Worth every ounce of angst I have had to try it.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Oh mama...

Masala Mama, I love. Mango's, I adore. This is a match made in heaven to my ears, and I'm glad I finally made it out when they had this "Town Hall Favorite" on tap.

Served in a 10 oz goblet, this is an orange amber color with an off-white tan head. Frothy retention and nice lacing. Healthy carbonation.

Massive tropical fruits in this one. If the floral qualities of the hops aren't enough for you, then the ever-so-subtle addition of the sweet mango will buckle your knees in anticipation. Floral and tropical, with a very down to earth bitter presence that makes the mouth water.

Tropical juicy fruit dominate, with an excellent hop bitterness. Honestly, not as bitter as the regular Masala Mama, it is as if the mango has absorbed some and given this a cask-like feel to it, much more mellow than I expected. I definitely like this...

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and clean. Leaves a nice bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is, in other words, perfection. The perfect session brew, no matter what the circumstances or weather.

Masala Mama who? This stuff rocks. If you like the base beer, and have a taste for the tropical, you will fall in love with this beer, guaranteed. Highly recommended.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

10 oz pour in a snifter glass. Super pumped to see this on tap when I was in town for the weekend.

App- a pale bronze color with little head. Ever so slight haze.

Sm- I first get the bitter whiff of very citrusy hops. This is quickly followed up with an intense mango smell. It's like I am in my kitchen cutting up a juicy mango.

Ta- Same as the nose, I first get a bitter blast from the hops. The hops come through though as a lemony, pineapple flavor. The mango flavor quickly follows it up with not so much of a balancing act, as an amazing accompanier. There are also the sweet candied malt flavors swirling around in there. Outstanding.

Dr- TO truly appreciate this beer you have to try the masala mama first. Before I had this beer, the masala mama was the best IPA I have ever had, the mango mama took it to a whole other level. Absolutely amazing.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Hadn't heard of this beer, before I showed up Minneapolis Town Hall this winter. I knew I wanted to try Masala Mama and their winter seasonal, but after my sister ordered one and i tried it, I was instantly hooked.

The appearance is nothing out of the ordinary. A light amber color, with a small amount of head that left good lacing. The smell was amazing! Very crisp with mango blending well with citrus and pine. The taste follows the smell very closely. The mango flavoring enhances an already great IPA in a way I never thought it would. I get citrus a decent malt backbone, with delicious mango flavor that I was skeptical about going in. The mouthfeel is substantial but not overly thick. Just right for an IPA. This beer, much like it's cousin Masala Mama shines in its drinkability as it is extremely smooth and crisp with tons of flavor.

I only wish they could make enough of this to allow people to fill growlers with it. This is truly a world class IPA.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery