Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Mango MamaMango Mama

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

On tap at Town Hall, came to me with a small fading head. Much darker than the O.G. mama.

The smell was that of the regular Mama, lush citrus fruit and a sweetened pine background with a small notion of fruity, under-ripe piney mango.

The taste was sensational, all the balance and pronounced pine, grapefruit and sweet malty goodness of the original. Then the mangoes come into play, up front in the mouth and integrated perfectly into the mother beer. Real mango flavor minus the intense sweetness of the naked fruit, never overbearing and they seem to be tasted incrementally from the sip to the swallow. Awesome.

Mouthfeel was good, nice carbonation, not syrupy at all and slippery on the tongue.

Overall, awesome brew, low abv, high drinkability and tastes wonderful. I wish this was available in growlers, but sadly I will just have to sip snifter by wonderful snifter. (879 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +16.3%

This has got to be the best beer on the planet.
Looks like a standard IPA, light orange with a slight haze and is topped by a small head.
The nose reeks of powerful exotic tropical fruits - mango, peaches, kiwi, grapefruit, pineapple, oranges. So good.
Taste does not let me down as all of these fruits transpire in my palate. I've never had such a complex IPA that brings out dynamic tropical flavor. Most are just grapefruity but not this versatile. Thankful to have had this. Easily better than heady and Pliny! (514 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Thrilled to finally have been able to sample this one, I think this is easily one of my top five most sought after. Lovely pint, served cold and proudly enjoyed.

Rich golden amber pour, lots of highlights of yellow and bright orange hints throughout. A light cloudiness lays in it as a three finger head of white comes up and over the top of the glass. Rich lacing down the sides yields a wonderfully complete look that is simply stunning. Aroma is huge, rich citrus notes that are dominated by a stunningly fresh fruit juice aroma. Rich mangos, , ripe grapefruit and a wonderful fresh, hop aroma. So rich and fresh, I could have drank this for breakfast everyday and been happy. Each sip brought even more complex and stunningly wonderful flavors. Rich mango, orange, grapefruit, no hint of any malt balance here, just straight up hop juice mixed with tropical fruit that is balanced perfectly. so drinkable I could have had a gallon and a half of this one.

Amazing beer. One of the best, if not the best single ipa i have had in years. Worth every ounce of angst I have had to try it. (1,088 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Oh mama...

Masala Mama, I love. Mango's, I adore. This is a match made in heaven to my ears, and I'm glad I finally made it out when they had this "Town Hall Favorite" on tap.

Served in a 10 oz goblet, this is an orange amber color with an off-white tan head. Frothy retention and nice lacing. Healthy carbonation.

Massive tropical fruits in this one. If the floral qualities of the hops aren't enough for you, then the ever-so-subtle addition of the sweet mango will buckle your knees in anticipation. Floral and tropical, with a very down to earth bitter presence that makes the mouth water.

Tropical juicy fruit dominate, with an excellent hop bitterness. Honestly, not as bitter as the regular Masala Mama, it is as if the mango has absorbed some and given this a cask-like feel to it, much more mellow than I expected. I definitely like this...

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and clean. Leaves a nice bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is, in other words, perfection. The perfect session brew, no matter what the circumstances or weather.

Masala Mama who? This stuff rocks. If you like the base beer, and have a taste for the tropical, you will fall in love with this beer, guaranteed. Highly recommended. (1,208 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +14%

10 oz pour in a snifter glass. Super pumped to see this on tap when I was in town for the weekend.

App- a pale bronze color with little head. Ever so slight haze.

Sm- I first get the bitter whiff of very citrusy hops. This is quickly followed up with an intense mango smell. It's like I am in my kitchen cutting up a juicy mango.

Ta- Same as the nose, I first get a bitter blast from the hops. The hops come through though as a lemony, pineapple flavor. The mango flavor quickly follows it up with not so much of a balancing act, as an amazing accompanier. There are also the sweet candied malt flavors swirling around in there. Outstanding.

Dr- TO truly appreciate this beer you have to try the masala mama first. Before I had this beer, the masala mama was the best IPA I have ever had, the mango mama took it to a whole other level. Absolutely amazing. (860 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +14%

Hadn't heard of this beer, before I showed up Minneapolis Town Hall this winter. I knew I wanted to try Masala Mama and their winter seasonal, but after my sister ordered one and i tried it, I was instantly hooked.

The appearance is nothing out of the ordinary. A light amber color, with a small amount of head that left good lacing. The smell was amazing! Very crisp with mango blending well with citrus and pine. The taste follows the smell very closely. The mango flavoring enhances an already great IPA in a way I never thought it would. I get citrus a decent malt backbone, with delicious mango flavor that I was skeptical about going in. The mouthfeel is substantial but not overly thick. Just right for an IPA. This beer, much like it's cousin Masala Mama shines in its drinkability as it is extremely smooth and crisp with tons of flavor.

I only wish they could make enough of this to allow people to fill growlers with it. This is truly a world class IPA. (966 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +12.8%

On tap at the Town Hall Brewery

A- Very clear which is surprising for this brew. Attractive 1 finger head, deep goldish orange hue, very attractive.

S- Excellent aroma. Spicy fruity, mixed with hops. That mango aroma really stuck out.

T- One of the best most unique IPAs I've ever tried. The fruity mango taste, mixed with the citrus, piney hops made this brew truly amazing.

M- Smooth on the palate, medium mouth feel, leaves a fruity mango taste on the palate, but balanced with the hops.

D- Truly an amazing beer, very drinkable, with amazing taste. The mango truly makes this beer unique and outstanding. Would be my go to beer if it was around more often. One of the best IPAs I've ever had. (705 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

On tap at the brewery. Consumed with the Seven Corner's Burger. I was quite happy to see this on tap on a Wednesday considering it's only supposed to be available on Mondays. Pours a light amber/orange color with a small orange/white head that stuck around the entire time, leaving some average lacing. Very nice aroma of citrusy hops mixed with orangy Mango. Not much in the way of sweet malts as the sweetness in the nose comes mostly from the fruit. Flavor is fantastic! The way the sweet fruit balances with the bitter hops is phenomenal. It's sweet but not too sweet, mango flavor is present but not overpowering to the rest of the brew. Bitter, citrus hops balance out perfectly with the sweetness. This is a great beer, and I almost think I prefer this one to the regular Masala Mama. Yes. I like it that much. (817 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Serving type-on tap poured into tulip glass.

A-Cloudy orange pour with very little head. The small head manages to leave a decent lacing ring around the glass though.
S-Citrusy - oranges, grapefruit and mangos. Gentle but noticeable hops.
T-How to describe this? Bliss! Smooth, a little sweet, and good fruitiness from the mangos up front. I can't stress the smooth enough. So very smooth that I almost want to gulp it yet savor the flavors at the same time. Some carbonation saturates the tongue in the middle and provides for a bridge to the hops. This is, after all, an IPA of one of the finest hoppy beer lineages. The hops are bitter and prickly on the tongue. Mango and citrusy goodness flows throughout the experience. The finish is all Masala Mama with the trademark bitterness that lingers and lingers and lingers on the tongue. Wow! What a gem!
M-So many different mouthfeels on this one as it works in stages. From lightly sweet and smooth to noticeable carbonation to prickly bitterness. It is an experience beer.
D-Why must you torture me Town Hall? You break this out every once in a while, for one keg at a time, you don't put it in growlers for me to take home, and then it is gone. The rest of the country needs to be able to enjoy Mango Mama too. Please find it in your heart to growler this so I can drink glass after glass in the comfort of my own home. (1,374 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Another superb IPA from Minneapolis Town Hall. Poured from a cask into a pint glass. Pours an amberish brown with a lacy beige head. Nose is the perfect blend of mango and hops. More subtle mango in the taste, but still present. Clean, refreshing body. Nice finish. (265 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Decided to grab a few beers one night while the little lady worked late. Had this beer after their Smoked Porter so this tastes extra fruity after that. Drank from a small generic snifter.

Appearance- Pours a chill hazed light orange with little to no head. A super thin collar remains that amazingly leaves quite a bit if lacing as no real cap remains.
Smell- Smells a little like Masala with a bit of raw earthy pine from the start. Some dandelion and grass but the fruit is obviously the clear winner in the nose. The Mango is redonkulously fresh smelling and so inviting. Fruity and hoppy all intertwined in an amazingly spectacular nose.
Taste- Starts with a cleanly fruity mango kick that is citrusy and fresh but nowhere near sweet. It's somewhere between a fresh mango taste and a generic fermented mango fruitiness. Slightly bitter as well with a slight kick of pine and spearmint that is pretty earthy. The beer manages to stay fresh and lively and the freshness of the mango is amazing.
Mouthfeel- Bigger than medium body with a nice aggressive carbonation that works pretty well overall with the beer.
Drinkability- F bomb I love this beer. It's so drinkable and fruity but not ridiculous or girly. It couldn't possibly work together any better than this does with the bitter and the fruit. I usually like my fruit beer to be over-the-top like all New Glarus fruit brews and this one isn't. Just well done and supremely enjoyable. (1,443 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

Mango Mama on-tap at the Town Hall 10-25-2010. Poured into a pint glass:

A - A cloudy, foggy, murky slightly pumpkin orangish hue. No head (on my first pint) but some head on the second pint. No lacing at all.

S - Fresh mango, pineapple and sweet papaya. Really sweet and tropical. Smells like mixed fruit juice. I like my IPAs fruity smelling rather than over the top bitter, so this is nice for me.

T - Wow! The mangos and ipa bitterness go really well together. Kinda bitter sweet. Other flavors of pine and pineapple, bits of apple and other delicious fruits.

M - I feel the mixture of the mangos adds a thicker feel and makes it syrupy. Not really carbonated. Silk and smooth.

D - Easy and smooth. It makes me feel if I drank too much I'd get gut rot though. But a nice treat and great to share this rarity at a tasting with some friends. (848 characters)

On tap @ GTOM

Easily one of my favorites at Great Taste.

A cloudy orange pour with a thick, white head.

Tons of citrus aroma. Mangos, mangos, more mangos, some orange and lemon dominate this IPA. It's nice and bitter, finishes dry and is 110% refreshing. Drinks almost like fruit juice on a hot summer day.

Wow, was this something else! I could put a whole growler of this down in an afternoon and not think twice. If you love mangos, what the hell are you waiting for? (474 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Stopped by the brewpub to pick up a growler, and it turned out this was on tap. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it, and I wasn't disappointed.

Pours a deep brown-orange amber, darker than most IPAs; hazy and opaque. Off-white head, not much in the glass when I got it, but good retention and sticky lacing.

Smell is full of nice floral and fruity hops. The hop character is hard for me to pin down - it has a little bit of fruit, a little bit of floral, and a hint of resiny pine. The smell also has a layer of sweetness, a combination of caramel malts and mango, that provides really nice balance.

Taste is, well, wow. It's just freaking delicious. It's a balanced IPA for sure, with hops that are present but not overpowering, nice resin. Bitterness is right where I like it - I feel it, and it gives the beer some kick, but it lets the other flavors come through. Add to that this fantastically well-balanced mango flavor. So often fruit-infused beers have either too little or too much of the fruit flavor, but this one is just so spot on. The mango complements and builds on the rest of the flavors, but they're all there together in such perfect balance. Finish is pretty quick, mostly bitter but with some lingering fruity sweetness.

Medium-bodied, good carbonation - just right for an IPA, but nothing remarkable about it.

In one word: balance. This beer is so well executed, with everything in it working together to build an outstanding whole. It may be the most balanced "flavor-added" beer I've ever tasted. The mango and IPA flavors work together in such harmony, with neither outshining the other. And the mango brings in a level of delicious complexity that's just... wow. I will definitely be back for more if I get the chance. (1,756 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

First, let me say that I avoided this beer for quite a while since I DON'T LIKE MANGOS. I couldn't fathom why Town Hall would ruin a simply superb beer like Masala Mama by polluting it with something like that.

Man, was I wrong.

This beer is the sly, sweet, & subdued little cousin of Masala, & it's better. Same IPA color, but the smell is a mix of hops & mango.

Mango Mama is pure bliss on the tongue. Town Hall has managed to hit the sweet spot on the teeter totter, infusing just enough Mango to allow the hops to work with it, but not give either ingredient the upper hand. The result is an IPA that's a bit sweet, a bit fruity, & perfectly balanced. Fantastic.

I could, & have, had multiple glasses in one sitting. Another positive, this isn't sickly sweet like your average "fruit" beer.

Excellent beer & an improvement on one of the best IPAs out there. (871 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to a very generous trader for finally hooking me up with this growler. This, along with Dark Lord and Kate the Great, was one of the first three beers I put on my "wants" list. This will be a day long remembered.

Pours a turbid, hazy orange. Light can't penetrate it. It's pretty much entirely opaque. Hmm...sediment city. Still, a nice robust white foam head.

Smells like rich succulent mango, along with papaya (???) and grapefruit along with a rich MANGO MANGO MANGO. I need to add that I love mango. One of my favorite fruits.

The tropical mango, papaya, white sweet grapefruit, a bit of bitterness lacing on the tongue, with an absolutely perfectly carbonated lasting tropical bitter bite. It's really a remarkable melding of an uber fruit base with a bitter, grapefruit IPA.

A superlative achievement. (820 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed on 3/2/09

Served a beautiful amber color that lights as you go down the glass with an awesome one-finger creamy head that sticks around for the entire show. The aroma is that of a superior IPA balanced with a nice hint of mango peeking through. The taste is a wonderful hop explosion that is immediately dulled by the sweet mango flavor that is just enough to hold its own against the hops. For the amount of hops in this brew, the mouthfeel is amazingly smooth and not at all sticky like one would assume. The drinkability is beautiful due to the fruity nature of this IPA. In my opinion, next to Surly Furious this is my favorite IPA! (646 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +9.3%

Growler shared by JP - much obliged!

Pours an almost opaque copper color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts overrun by large amounts of tropical fruit hops - and of course mango. The mango is superbly crisp and enhances the tropical fruit and hints of herbal hops. If it were possible I might give this a 5.5 for the category, really amazing.

Tastes very good but not as intense or complex as the nose. Pale malt flavors kick things off and are overtaken almost immediately by large amounts of tropical fruit and herbal hop flavors. Mango flavors join in shortly thereafter but don't pop as much as they did in the nose. Midway through the sip the herbal hop flavors take over a bit, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I remember enjoying Masala Mama a lot but this treatment blows it out of the water. One of the more distinct beers I've ever had and it is amazing how the mango integrated with an already great beer. Seek this one out and give it a shot. (1,228 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

They've had this off and on for the past few months, but seemingly more off than on. Last week, though, it was in and I had to revisit it for reviewing purposes.

Looks and smells exactly like the Masala Mama (not a bad thing) but with a tiny bit of mango in the nose (go figure). I'm wary of fruit beers in general, and was a bit surprised that I was only picking up a hint of the mango in the smell.

The taste upfront is very much like the Mama, but about two seconds after each sip the mango hits and it hits hard, completely cleansing the tongue of any bitterness from the hops, but not coming on so strong that you can't handle the sweetness. The balance is absolutely perfect, contrasting with the natural taste of the beer but not overpowering it at all.

It only comes in 10 oz servings, but costs the same as a normal pint, so I didn't really want to keep ordering it. Unfortunately, I couldn't stop. This is truly a spectacular beer. It's everything you want out of craft brewing: a wonderful mix of creativity and style. I can't recommend it highly enough. (1,069 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

What a beer. This one really blew me away. A very pretty orange color but little head developed on this one. Nose is amazing--fresh hoppy citrus intermingles with real sweet mango notes. It's like smelling a fruit basket. Flavor really delivers with a truly unique IPA experience. Exceptional fresh mango flavors overlay a citrus and leafy hop profile that fades into a moderate and balanced malt backbone. Medium to full mouthfeel, this one really delivers. I think the other Town Hall beers I had were good, but not out of this world. This beer is out of this world, however. My only complaint really is that the mango mutes some of the bitterness, but I got my bitter fix on regular Masala Mama anyway. (705 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Got three 10 ounce pours at Town Hall over the weekend. Is 30 ounces enough to tick this one off? Tasted side by side with Masala Mama, this one was slightly better IMO, both very good though.

Beer is orange and hazy and forms a thin broken head or white bubbles (small). Carbonation moderate and steady. Looks good.

Aroma is bitter with some piny hops and a hint of mango. Smells nice.

Beer is medium bodied and a little sweet. Lots of carbonation in the mouth. If you can oxygenate the beer some the mango flavor comes out a lot, very prominent. Otherwise, there is a strong mango flavor in the back palate that competes with the strong bitterness. There is an earthiness to the whole thing that is also very interesting, piny simcoe like hop presence. Very drinkable, very good. (784 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +8.6%

A= the beautiful thick head stands out the most to me. Followed ty the deep amber orange color.
S= mangos and piles of hops. I really love the mango smell.
T= hops and beautiful mango! The mago taste isn't like a completely ripe mango but its still amazing! Possibly my new fav beer.
M= smooth and crisp
D= incredibly high. Ill be savoring this while its at town hall. A great beer. (382 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10oz pour served in a snifter.

I just randomly stopped into the best brew pub in the twin cities. To my surprise this gem was on tap. A perfect amber color lines the inside of my glass. Very little off white head. Less than half a finger. No lacing at all. Very sweet citrus smells. Candied fruit. Tastes like carbonated fruit juice up front. Sweet and tasty. But then you feel the hops and the touch of dryness in the backend of the sip. Truly a unique experience. Bartender informed me they used fresh mangos in this batch. It sure does shine through. To me this 6.7% abv beauty was quite refreshing. I could drink this all day long in the summer. I will be going back to get more. (684 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one murky looking brew. Looks like homebrew, and that's a good thing. With a hard pour, I erect a nice frothy ivory white head. It doesn't stick around for long. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is fresh and citrusy. Mango juice and citric hop overtones blend to perfection. Awesome aroma. Flavor is mango dominated and it's the perfect complement to the otherwise outstaning fruity and citrusy Masala Mama. Hops blend in some other fruit notes as well, like apricot,tangerine and nectarine. Base malt is caramel and toffee, but it's in the distance. This is one boldly flavored IPA. Well done. (594 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7%

On-tap at the brewery. From notes:

A- Hazy amber color, decent head and lacing.

S- Mango, mango and more mango. Thats all I can smell, it is a glorious scent though.

T- For the most part same as the smell, mango. Very sweet and somewhat bitter. Some apricot and hops. The flavor is actually very good, but halfway through I know I won't be ordering another.

M- Medium body with a good carbonation level.

D- Very interesting brew, unlike any other. I will order this anytime they have it around, but only one! (513 characters)

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery