Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Into a tulip glass, looks just like the Masala Mama, but without any head or lacing, and I couldn't twirl much into existence. The aroma was a bit tame, but a lovely fruity blend of hops and the infused mango. With a name like Mango Mama, I'd have expected this to go a little over the top with the fruit, and thankfully it didn't. It still is basically the same Masala everyone knows and loves, with a gentle touch of the mango fruit to sweeten it up a bit. A great idea, the perfect fruit for this. lovely.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

I had this one on tap at the Town Hall brewpub on 5/11/2009 (part of an epic beer trip with BA roadhouse).

A= This ale poured a mostly clear orange color with a 1/2" white head. The head dropped to a thin skim and didn't leave much lacing behind. Moderate carbonation release evident.

S= This ale smelled like the regular Masala Mama but with a nice tropical fruity sweetness to balance some of the piney hops. The mango fruit really brought out the nuances of the graprefruity hop aromas too.

T= Malt sweetness started and disappeared into a sofy cloud of sweet mango. The hops then crashed over that but never really made it disappear. I think mango was the perfect fruit to use here as it provided a soft even sweetness that never became cloying. Finish was bitter and dry.

MF= Medium bodied with a fairly soft varbonation level.

D= Very good fruit/hop ale here. Comparing it to the regular Masala, I have to say this was the better and certainly more interesting of the two, showing some subtlety and balance instead of just a piney hop hammer.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

One of the most surprising gifts to behold, along with a note demanding immediate consumption. Thank you my good sir!

The 2/3 fill popped open gleefully, spewing forth with ecstasy, spilling mangonic contents on the countertop. No worry. A few ounces lost and the rest shared lovingly.

A light orange color, billowing white clouds above. The smell takes me back to a place I've never been. To a land of mango lollipops on the banks of the river of hops. A light spring rain falls. Frolicking abounds. We climb evergreen grapefruit trees. With a single swirl of the glass, the mango lunges into my nose, followed by grapefruit and a hint of linalool. There is a hint of malt sweetness that blends perfectly with the mango.

The flavor is so smooth, mango lies gently to me, tells me it loves me. I know not what to believe. Surely, I feel strongly too. Then the malt comes soothingly over top of the mango, followed by waves of citrus and floral hops, perhaps a touch of pineyness.

Outstanding, so smooth, so easy, pretty big hops, perfectly balanced, warranting a trip someday. Indeed. Thanks again for taking the time..

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Many many many many thanks to dontcostnuthin for sharing this with me. I owe you one John!

A- Pours a murky orangish brown color. Almost looks like fresh made apple cider. Half finger off white head that caps the beer. Spotty lacing with some streaks on the sides of the glass.

S- When I first opened the growler all I could smell was mango. To be honest it made my mouth water. After pouring it I took another sniff. Tons of fresh mango aroma. This dominates the nose to be honest. There is also some citrus hops and light spicey hop to this that balances it out a little bit. Mostly still mango aroma though.

T- Mango is the first flavor I taste and it comes through bursting. Directly after this there is a light bitter hop bite. The middle of the beer has light malt character without actually being overly so if that makes sense. There is another light mango burst with some spicey hops in the ending. The alcohol in this is faint and all in the back.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little lacking but I forgive because of my way I got the beer. Mango was left on the palate along with more mango and light alcohol in the aftertaste. Flavor was mango forward yet balanced by the malts and hops. Medium alcohol drying on the palate. Clean tasting overall.

D- This beer is incredible to me. I love fresh fruits and this one delivers on the flavor without the artifical off flavors of other fruit beers. The ABV is low enough that a growler or many pints of this is something that can be done. This is my second beer from Minneapolis Town Hall and to be honest I think they know what they are doing...and doing it good.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times over the years. I finally sat down and wrote some notes this time.

A: Orange to ruby red. Deep amber hues. Looks lovely and seductive in the 10 oz snifter.

S: Mango hits you at first. Beautiful fruitiness and sweetness. The hops add more elements of tropical fruits with a hint of passion fruit and pineapple. Some hint of pine as well. Lots of citrus in the end with orange and tangerine.

T: Once again, mango right off the bat with nice fruitiness and even a hint of spiciness. It seemlessly blends with the citrus and tropical fruits from the hops. Pleasant sweetness in the body is added from both the mango and the malts. More of a honey sweetness rather than caramel. The bitterness is there, but not as strong as in the standard Masala Mama IPA. Very well balanced fruity sweetness with hoppy bitterness. Not overly sweet like some fruit beers.

M: Medium bodied. Clean and crisp. Not syrupy like some fruit beers. Finishes nice and dry. A little sticky from the hops but fits in well.

D: This is a damn fine beer. A great after-dinner choice. The amazing aspect is how well the mango blends with thehops. The malt backbone fits in nice and the beer isn't too heavy or syrupy. I wish I could get this more often.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy...Mango Mama is back at TH.
I had only had this at ABR last year, so I was waiting for a real chance to review it.
Nice tan orange pour and a great head that doesn't go away too quickly, and leaves a ring the whole way down.
Aroma is perfect the mango really comes through well (not a fruit I am crazy about, but in a beer, mmm....). Nice hoppy aromas, citrus and flowers.
Taste is great, at first the mango really comes trough, but then a sweet candy like hop taste comes through.
Mouthfeel is nice, perfectly carbonated, with a great easy smooth touch, I would have had a few of these, but wanted to move on to something else.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to cope0021 for a growler of this beauty! Drank it over the course of a day or two, although I probably could have finished it in the first few hours.

It's a beer first rather than say, a juice drink, but the sharp hops are still cut slightly by the mango. Not overwhelming, but present to prevent too much bitterness. The appearance is almost muddy, with a deep orange murkiness and a finger of head. Nice lacing sustains throughout. The smell is primarily of mangoes, and some pine and other citrus. Taste is actually hop forward, but as you swallow the mango coats the mouth and sticks. So the first sip is the hoppiest, and the rest build the mango.

Besides the great taste, it has a solid carbonation and a medium body, but eventually the mango overwhelms - almost to the point where you don't want to repeat it too quickly. That's about the only knock on drinkability. This one is high up there on the charts.

Plus I'm sure there's some vitamin C in it for your ... health.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Extremely cloudy mango to burnt umber appearance with an attractive 2 finger khaki crown that displays little retention and lace.

Smell: Loads of mango over a subtle pine sap note.

Taste: Much like the nose with citrus fruit dominating the front, a bit of malt in the background, and a short appearance of some hop bitterness in the finish. Doesn't jive all too well for me although it does have a level of complexity to it that is above and beyond standard Masala Mama.

Mouthfeel: A fairly creamy medium body with way too little carbonation. UPDATE: The second and third pour from the growler was a bit more lively so I've increased my original score of 2.5 to 3.5

Drinkability: Goes down easy.

I'm fairly certain this one was filled about a week ago so maybe that factored into my review (although the cap says consume by 11/9/10 on it). Upon the first few sips, the IPA quality of this brew was mutilated by the mango. Eventually though I started picking up both qualities and thought that they went together fairly well. The mouthfeel is pretty bad though.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Hazy orange in color. Served in a snifter with a minimal white head. There is little retention and not much in the way of lacing.

S: Mango along with a faint notion of mango's black pepper pungency. Orange blossoms. Floral hops.

T: Sweet mango fruit on the front end that fades to a mild orange/citrus flavor then to a mild bitterness. Pungent pepper sticks to the tongue.

M: Medium with appropriate carbonation. A little lighter in body than Masala Mama.

D: Very good. I'm not a huge fan of sweet IPA's, but the sweetness complements the mango, while the mango still offers some complex peppery notes. It all seems to work very well for this beer; one which I found superior to Masala Mama.

Of note, Town Hall refused to sell me a growler of this beer.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap. Poured into a Town Hall pint glass. Pours a slightly hazed and murky amber orange color with a 1 finger off white head which settles rather quickly. Fruity aroma, duh right?, with citrus type hops aroma. Sweet mango flavor upfront follows by a nice citrus hops type bitterness. Loads of citrus rind bitterness. Medium mouthfeel. Surprised at the lackluster head and poor lacing as I don't recall previous batches being as such, perhaps making a full batch vs. 1 keg at a time has something to do with it or the fact they had to use pasteurized mango puree vs. mango chunks . Really drinkable though. As I have had this several times I feel the quality wavers a little bit between batches. This time the carbonation was less than before probably due to my aformentioned reasons. Still, this is an awesome brew that drinks really easily and tastes great.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz growler into an oversized tulip. Big thanks to joshuaseresse for this in a recent trade.

Pours a deep murky burnt orange, with several big & foamy fingers of dirty off-white head. This peters down pretty darn quickly, looking flat and dead with a light foamy ring around the edges and leaving just a light smattering of spotty lacing down the sides of the glass. The mango immediately jumps out in the aroma, being full of juicy smelling sugars and fruit character. Pine and earth cuts through the center of things with a certain amount of sharpness, while light toasted malts are also present and mostly mingle with the sweetness of the mango. Some light floral tones hang on the edges of the nose.

The taste is fruit and sugary feeling in the mouth, with a mix of bread, sweeter caramel, and mango flavor that literally just drips with an overripe juiciness to it. This blend leaves a big impression on the profile, before starting to pull up before the swallow and prickling the tongue with more hoppy notes of resins, grapefruit, bitter rind, and spice which all linger with an earthy and dry feel. Just a little bit of residual fruit and sugars hang on the lips with a light smack after each sip of this. The mouthfeel is medium, maybe a touch fuller bodied, with a crisp prickliness to the carbonation along where all of that bitterness runs, while being more thick and slick underneath where that overripe fruit and sticky malt resides. Overall, this is just hugely drinkable and I'm not getting one iota of alcohol from the body at all.

I initially had some worries when I first cracked this growler, as the rapidly faded look and an almost metallic feel that initially came out in the taste (which then rapidly disappeared as this warmed) had me fearing that maybe this had spent more time in the growler than it should have. The more I had of this though, the more that I realized that I couldn't have been more wrong and this REALLY grew on me the more I worked on it. The mango, while strong, gives this quite a refreshing fruity quality but there is more than enough bitterness to keep the hopheads happy as well. I must say though that the drinkibility was what impressed me the most though. I was ripping through glasses of this much faster than I seem to remember doing with my last growler of the regular Masala Mamma. Wow, I really ended up enjoying this. Wish I had some more.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at the brewpub, served in a 10 oz snifter.

Pours a very cloudy dark orange, looks like tangerine juice, very thick light tan head forms, settles to a solid ring, lace spirals down the glass. Smell is wacky, caramel and floral, very fruity, tons of mango and orange, kind of smells like weed, the mango character is interesting, almost like mango skins or something, really interesting. Taste is similar, very intense, mango skins again, fruit, weed, apricots, orange, caramel, citrusy hops, some pine, very floral, pretty big bitterness in the finish, moreso than regular Masala. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, its great but I don't think I could drink too much of it because of the intense mango character. Pretty damn cool experiment, this stuff is badass.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Reviewed from notes: Huge thank goes out to Ty for sending this one my way.

appearance: copper orange with 1 finger off white head

smell: mango, citrus, hops, caramel, malts

taste: mango, citrus, hops, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: a very nice IPA with lots of mango character. So glad I had the chance to try this one.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Deuane for sharing this growler on 11/2/10, and for Uncle Jedi for producing said growler for Deuane!

A - Poured a cloudy, almost murky pumpkin orange liquid with two fingers of bubbly froth on top that reduced to a thin, swirly patch and produced no lacing, unfortunately.

S - Mmmmm... you can smell that mango from a mile away! There is also an unusual spicy, almost peppery tinge to the aroma reminiscent of spicy pear, perhaps. Interesting.

T - Initial flavor is juicy and fruity but with a spicy bite akin to pear or apple, but also very citrus-esque. Hop character is quite leafy and spicy, but hints of clove and perhaps coriander are also evident. Somewhat odd but awesome nevertheless!

M - Medium bodied with a pleasant wash of carbonation, which provides an effervescent mouthfeel with a light oily texture. Finishes with moderate hop bitterness and a hint of bristle on the palate.

D - This was much spicier than I remember from my sample at Great Taste of the Midwest '09. Still, this is a deliciously fruity IPA with perfect hop bitterness and tangy mango goodness. Yum!

4.28/5  rDev 0%

64oz growler straight from the brewery, graciously shared by Davolebomb

served in standard pint glasses

A - pours with a thin wisp of loose, fluffy light orange tinted foam. blink and its gone. the beer is very muddy and cloudy, burnt orange in color. pretty unique looking though not quite appealing.

S - sweet and ripe, freshly pureed mangos. balanced a bit by bright wet piney hops with a slightly floral twinge.

T - slightly tart and sweet mangos and oranges sits atop slightly bready, crunchy malt bed. assertive piney hops with flashes of earth and grass. picking up some lemon peel as it settles, along with a delicate booziness.

M - medium bodied with tight and crispy, yet moderate carbonation. slightly dry, chewy, and sweet in the finish, with some lingering hops and a subtle alcohol burn.

D - wonderful balance and hands down the best execution of fruit meets hops that I have ever had. i prefer the un-mango version of this slightly more (also graciously shared by Dave).

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending this one down for myself and caSSino to tick (well me to tick...). First beer I've had since my accident on 11/11/11! Reviewed live. Served from growler into a NoDa Brewing snifter. Pours hazy bright orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma is comprised of sweet malt, mango, pine, caramel, fruit hop, and pine hop. The flavor is of sweet malt, mango, pine, caramel, fruit, fruit hop, and pine hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. This was a great way to start back drinking. The mango is definitely present and makes a nice balanced flavor with the hops. An easy drinker that I suggest all beer lovers try to get on their palate.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on tap 10/25 and 10/26 at Town Hall.

Appearance was pretty unusual for an IPA - cloudy orange/brown, similar to orange juice mixed with berry juice. Almost no head on either glass I had.

Mango smell jumped out at me before I touched the glass. With some effort, I could pick out some citrus in the aroma, but the big fruity smell overpowers just about everything else.

Flavor starts out heavy on the sweet mango. There's also plenty of citrus, especially tangerine. Bitterness picks up over the course of the beer and then the fruit seems to attenuate the hops to result that the finish is moderate in length, and unusually clean with just a little fruit.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy, but should be expected considering a significant amount of fruit was used in the beer. Carbonation is light enough to suit thicker body.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty fine beer. Would have rated it a bit higher, but got a touch of "plastic" in the flavor both days I had this. Not sure what I was tasting, but I suspect I may not have had the best version of this beer. Love the combination and will look for again.

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One hit is on appearance - as those kind of standards go. Very murky and muddy looking. First pour no head and second pour had a loose head that disappeared quickly. So get the hard hit part out of the way first.
Aroma is fantastic. Great combo of mango, other fruit, mostly citrus, but not exclusively and great citrus hops.
Very complex flavors. Grassy, bitter, mango, grapefruit, sweet fruit. Strong home grown/fresh hop characteristics. Pushes excess of hop flavors (like a DIPA), but doesn't cross the line to distaste.
Heavy malt feel (interesting with minimal malt flavors). A touch of slickness makes an enjoyable feel.
Yummy! Very easy to drink more than one, even with all the bitterness - it just wasn't an issue.
Mango fades as warms and the grapefruit flavors with tartness and fruitiness increase.
Growler shared among three. Thanks to Chuck for sharing.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

At last, growlers!

In a tulip, looks exactly like apple cider. Reddish brown color, opaque and no head at all. No lacing.

Citrusy hops with mango and cider notes. Not real strong overall.

Big pine and citrus hop presence with a large dose of fresh mango. Apple cider sweetness with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

Medium bodied and smooth with adequate carbonation.

Drinks beautifully. I could suck down a whole growler myself. This is easily my favorite IPA in the world, but I will say it is slightly better on tap. Still happy as a clam that I could have it at home.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally get to try this one. Poured from a growler into my Southern tier tulip glass. It looked pretty much like apple cider in my glass, brown and murky. At least if any of the trick or treaters ask tonight it will pass for cider. It poured with very little head and what was there completely disappeared in a minute or so. It's hard to rate this one's appearance, as a traditional American IPA it would score pretty bad on looks. It's not very traditional though and having regular Masala Mama I'm sure the mangos have a lot to do with the look. I'm going to cut it some slack in this category and say it's average for fruit addition beers, which is probably still generous.

The mangos really come through in the aroma. They give it a bright, juicy, fruity, tropical citrusness that just adds to the citrus hoppiness already present. A little bit of grapefruit and pine come out in it as well. Pretty good hoppiness overall, and the mangos really add some cool flavors to it.

The taste really shows off the mangos too. Like the nose they add a brighter, citrusy and fruity element with more tropical fruit flavors coming through. It also has a pretty big grapefruit bitterness coming through with some pine to it as well. I'm getting a bit of a peppery like spice to it as well towards the finish. The finish shows more of the juicy mango fruit lingering for a bit. Very nice flavors to it overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it had some very nice hoppy and fruity flavors to it. The mangos went pretty well with the hoppiness overall and seemed to add some nice tropical citrus and fruity flavors to an already excellent beer. Cool beer overall and a pretty good beer overall. Glad I had the chance to finally try it.

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pint served on-tap at the brew hall/restaurant

look is amber orange, fluffy white head. smell is hoppy and pine, tropical fruits, mango. some wheat grain and sweet syrupy malt. feel is an enjoyable medium

very similar to masala mama, but with a mango infused kick. not worth the extra $$ a pint imo.

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this served in a pint glass at the pub.

A: the appearance is a very cloudy pinkish orange with no head, this looks more like juice than beer. I understand that the addition of mangoes makes for a cloudy appearance, but this just doesn't look like a fantastic beer. I have a feeling that the taste will make up for the appearance.

S: mango juice and grapefruit hops up front. It is hard to distinguish the difference between the actual fruit and the fruity hops, but needless to say they work well together. The end has a considerable bitterness. Very nice smell.

T: like the nose, there are tons of fruity notes up front, primarily tropical fruits with an emphasis on mango and grapefruit. By the middle, the brew gets bitter and piney with a nice dry finish.

MF: medium body and carbonation

D: very tasty, I like this better than Masala Mama as the fruitiness balances out some of the bitterness.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer has eluded me for yours, now I finally get to try it. After an evening at Triple Rock celebrating Surly's 5th anniversary party we headed to TH for brews and fod.
Poured from ontap for the first time right now. Pour is not too impressive though really no head at all. appearing flat an cask like. Color is a pale copper non transparent, very hazy. Aroma is mango tropical fruit delight. Best smelling ipa ever. It smells like Fucking Hawaii. Pungent topical fruit, floral and fruity juicy hops and caramel malt. Taste is the same but a bit more sourish fruit bitters and grians with earthy bitter hops. Remaing sweet and delicious and drying slightly through the finish. Not as bitterly hoppy as the masala but still very impressive. Drinkability is impeccably high. Mouthfeel is average a little flat but a good swirl of glass and swoosh through the mouth and it breaths new life into the feel. This thing is an aroma god

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Golden brown with a thine white head no activity to be seen.

S- Hops up front then some booze followed by slight fruit.

T- Great up front hop kick then nice mango flavor followed up by the hop aftertaste. Very nice over all. Better tasting then the normal one.

M- Good tingle very nice thickness.

D- Very drinkable, enjoyable just nice. It's beers like this that bring me to Town Hall.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

happened to drink this beauty at the bar today for lunch. came in a slightly smaller than a pint (prolly 11 oz idk) big bowled white wine glass. had slightly understanted mango character compared to what i was expecting, however it was delicious. the bitterness was smooth and really flavorful. it wasnt a huge hop blast anymore but it was a great beer.

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery