2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Mango MamaMango Mama

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 213 | Reviews: 109 | Show All Ratings:
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.03/5  rDev -52.9%

A: After the growler shared by Lordkrystic so graciously exploded and shot beer all over my kitchen(which I am still cleaning up) it gushed, gushed some more leaving a cloudy deep orangish beer with a big rocky white head

S: Underneath the plethora of medicine and plastic was some fresh mango

T: Initial sip was, as expected, over the top phenols. Initial taste of a funky piece of medicinal soaked plastic. I put it down, walked away, then tried it again. No go.

M: Overcarbonated, light-medium body, the plastic and medicine killed it.

O: Considering the other reviews were stellar I d't think this is a problem with MTH. I have had several growlers from them before with no issues. I would like to give this another shot but unsure when I will have the chance

11-12-2012 19:58:30 | More by barleywinefiend
tewaris

2.95/5  rDev -31.6%

64 oz growler with a best by date of 11/09/10 poured into a Bell's tulip on 10/25/10 (the day of its release!)

Appearance 2/5
Murky orange-brown with a tiny dirty orange head with poor retention and no lacing. Not the looks of a beer, much less of an IPA.

Aroma 2/5
Nose is reminiscent of India, seriously: dry and intensely hot summer afternoons, and mangoes - fresh mangoes, mango juice, mangoes and spice. American IPA? No. For an IPA that has hints of mangoes without smelling like mango juice itself, I'd recommend Bell's Two Hearted.

Taste 3/5
I have to say that taste redeems this beer to a certain extent. There's some sweetness, massive fruitiness from mangoes, and decent bitterness but no hop flavor. Finish is slightly bitter, and quite dry, but not crisp. Carbonation is low which is generally to my liking but not this time.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Soft, with low carbonation, and decent overall, but the finish ruins it.

Drinkability 4/5
Not bad, strangely!

Other
This alcoholic beverage might not be bad but it's not beer. It's overdone in my opinion.

10-26-2010 06:06:21 | More by tewaris
ccrida

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%

On draught at the brewery, Mango Mama is turbid, dull orange with small, big bubbled skim that quickly dissipates, leaving a flat, thick looking beer that is most unappealing.

Smell is really sweet and sugary - this smells like mango juice, not beer. If I dig, the hops are definately there, but I doubt I would have picked up on them in a blind sniff test.

Taste is weird - every sip, my first reaction is "oh no, that's bad"...but then the finish isn't so bad, and I'm left confused! Something about the cigar box quality of the hop spice with the fruit isn't really working for me, but individual parts are fine. Not as hoppy as the regular Masala Mama I had right before, it's still got some resiny spice, and then the fruit taste literally like fruit juice - did they just dump mango juice into the secondary? Something about this reminds me of drinking incense, and I'm much too old to be lighting bong hits with a stick of nag champa...

Mouthfeel is very dry, with a medium-light body.

Drinkability isn't too high. While I warmed up to it, I never really got into it, and would definitely not get it again. While the base IPA is not the best in the world, it's solid, and much better then this radler style version....

11-03-2010 01:17:55 | More by ccrida
AgentZero

3.38/5  rDev -21.6%

Cheers to Sean for hooking us up with this on a random Wednesday night.

A - Really opaque, hazy beer. Reminds me of a big IPA that's been sitting in a cask, almost looks like juice. Orange color, not the prettiest beer on the planet.

S - Huge mango flavor, smells great, I'm impressed that they could make the mango smell so amazing and not overly sweet or artificual. Nice floral and earthy hops compliment.

T - What a total disappointment. Some generic hops and dirt, little metal, not a whole lot of the mango I was expecting. Definately sweet, with some citrusy grapefruit in there. This is okay, very average.

M - Medium bodied, very full feeling for the weight. Moderate carbonation, I don't think the mouthfeel really added to the taste, made it feel too thick and like juice.

D - I didn't really care a ton for the taste on this one, it was unique and okay, but that's about it. That made me not really want to drink tons of it. Sean said it just wasn't a good batch, so I'd like to revisit in the future.

11-11-2010 22:08:28 | More by AgentZero
scottfrie

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for sharing, Rich.

A: Pours a rather cloudy dark golden apricot with a fuzzy white head.
S: Sweet citrus dominates alongside notes of grassy hops, mint and just a hint of mango.
T: Citrus rind, leafy, and green tasting hops with just a hint of sweet dried mango. I was expecting much more mango, but what is there is nice.
M: Medium-thick body with a greasy, savory, mouthfeel. Lowish carbonation.
O: Not as fantastic as I was hoping for but still a solid beer. I would love to try it from the source someday.

12-17-2011 23:24:49 | More by scottfrie
womencantsail

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

Thanks to Bobby for another Town Hall Tick.

A: There are some seriously high NTUs on this beer. The pour is an incredibly murky brownish orange color with a finger's worth of peach colored head that dies away to a thin layer.

S: Certainly a very fruit forward nose. Lots of grapefruit hops along with plenty of tart (and somewhat sweet) mango notes. A very pungent aroma, indeed.

T: There's a decent hop bitterness to this beer that I wasn't necessarily expecting from the fruitiness of the aroma. I get more grapefruit than anything out of this. The mango is there, but not as intense as I would have expected. It's slightly sharp and acidic, seemingly from the carbonation.

M: The body is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation that works well for IPAs (I think, anyway).

D: I really wanted this to be good, but I would much rather have a glass of Masala Mama. The mango doesn't really seem to add anything that great to this beer.

11-09-2010 09:40:50 | More by womencantsail
Lillie1128

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Tried this at Sweetwater with Urbancaver and Cashew70

A - Pours a cloudy amber with an off white head

S - Strange mango smell

T - Tastes predominantly of mango with a little bit of hoppiness

M - light bodied with a small amount of carbonation

D - high

Thanks to Urbancaver for this one!

11-30-2011 03:49:23 | More by Lillie1128
KarlHungus

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Town Hall Tap. This beer arrives a hazy orange-red color. The head is half an inch in height, and lingers a while. The aroma is of mango, grapefruit, and oranges. The taste is similar to the aroma, but with some pine resin coming through. The mango characteristic in both the flavor and aroma is subdued enough to not lend a lot to the beer, but strong enough to take away a lot of the great qualities of Masala Mama. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, I can quite disappointed with this beer, and will most likely pass on it next time.

11-17-2011 09:11:11 | More by KarlHungus
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Enjoyed at the brewpub with the FMonk, Al McArthy. Not much in aroma, mango neutralized the hop. Looks fruitier, adding some bulk and colour to regular IPA. Gives it some fruity to the bitterness. Overall its a wash and a change of pace. You have to chase down this one, even though advertised as always on Mondays.

11-23-2008 03:59:45 | More by Sammy
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Growler into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Opaque (i.e., seriously muddy) orange body with a thin, quickly dissipating tan head. Looks like raw mango milk, if such a thing exists. Not something I find terribly appealing.

S: Holy mango, Batman! That's a lot of mango. Seriously, this smells like nothing but pure mango juice. It's crazy, juicy, fresh, and tart, but it isn't an IPA.

T: Starts with mango, and finishes (eventually) with some piney hop bitterness. Maybe even a little malt midway through. Pretty darn tasty, but overwhelming with the mango IMO.

M: Smooth medium body with almost no carbonation. Not terrible for a growler, but not good, either.

D: The mango is great if you like mango; I'm not that crazy about it, so its total dominance is a bit of a drinkability liability.

Notes: Huge thanks to the generous BA who brought this to the post-NotF tasting. This is one of those beers that I was super eager to try, but didn't know what to expect. While I enjoyed regular Masala Mama both times I had it (both from a traded growler and on cask at the brewpub), I've never found it to be the transcendent beer that some make it out to be. Mango Mama impresses me significantly less. Sure, the addition of tons of mango makes a beer taste like mango. It also, in this case, destroyed the balance and complexity that the beer originally possessed. Not worth it, if you ask me.

Cheers!

11-08-2010 00:19:45 | More by woosterbill
jrallen34

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

64oz growler provided by Sean...Tough to open and as it does a huge hiss, a slight gusher. Pours with tons of head, a light tope head with a hint of orange to it, watery and falls quickly. The beer is a dark dirty orange, tons of bits of fruit float throughout the glass....The aroma is really nice, great notes of mango not at all overwhelming or too sweet, light pine resin on the back balances out...The taste is a huge let down, most the sweetness is gone, light mango but a lot of medicinal/metallic/pine flavors are not great.

Pretty easy to drink but I'm just not that impressed. I've got a feeling this batch is just not that good.

11-11-2010 01:38:29 | More by jrallen34
dtmets84

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to the guy who gave me this. Thanks

Appearance: Pours a deep amber with absolutely no head.

Smell: Mango the face! I had some fresh mango last night and it smells identical

Taste: Sweet mango with some earthy grain

Mouthfeel: Decent mouthfeel with the mango that lingers

Overall: After having masala mama I was very hesitant to dabble into mango but I was impressed.

10-27-2012 04:28:02 | More by dtmets84
largadeer

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Turbid appearance, completely opaque. The head is fleeting, the body, unsurprisingly, is the color of mango flesh.

Tons of mango on the nose. Sweet and tart mango flesh with an herbal, citrusy hop note buried under the fruit. A great nose, I really like the fruit character.

Tastes like bitter mango juice. The fruit flavor is huge, but thankfully more citrusy and lightly tart than sweet. There's maybe a hint of malt, but the mango really obliterates the base beer. Hop flavors are present in the form of citrus and herbs. It finishes similar to Masala Mama; bitter and punchy, but clean. The malt character of Masala Mama is lost here.

This was fairly enjoyable and very easy to drink, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again. When it comes to IPAs, I prefer the fruit flavors to come from hops.

11-08-2010 19:11:17 | More by largadeer
paco1029384756

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a tiny white head.

Scent of mango, sugars, and some bitter hops. Not very hoppy, but the fruity mango character is nice, but doesn't quite deliver.

Taste of hops and mango. Not very bitter, and rather one dimensional. I really love mango and hops, but this one just falls a little flat on both fronts.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with good carbonation.

10-31-2009 02:33:45 | More by paco1029384756
Reagan1984

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Well, much to my surprise I was in MLPS for a release of Mango Mama and their anniversary celebration. I was quite excited to try this treat having loved Mama Masala in the past. Well, sadly, I have to place this near the top of my over-hyped beer list. In my mind it wasn't nearly as good as Mama Masala and had some flaws..

Pint came with NO head and was a cloudy dull amber color. No lacing at all.
Has to score rather low in visual characteristics.

Aroma was fruity with Citrus and tropical fruits including mango. Also a spice note that hinted of black pepper which certainly came in the flavor. More orange vs. traditional grapefruit.

Yep, this is Mango Mama and the mango flavor is right up front. Also there is a lot of black pepper as noted in the aroma. There was a consistent bitterness from front to back that I didn't think played too well with the mango flavor. I will say there is some complexity here and it's interesting.. but in the end, it's just ok.

Very faint carbonation with a tiny prickle on the end of your tongue. A little bit of a dry ending.

Well as I said up front, I was a little let down here. I couldn't wait to finish this and get myself a glass of the standard Mama Masala. Oh well, there truly are over hyped beers.

** I heard that this is the first time they've made a "full size" batch of this beer. Don't know if this is true, but it may have an impact here.

10-26-2010 01:30:20 | More by Reagan1984
johnmichaelsen

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Many thanks to Dyan for sharing this the other day.

Mango mama is not a particularly attractive beer, pouring a hazy, murky, light amber brown color with at best fair head retention and minimal lacing. The beer doesn't look like much, but then I took my first sniff. My oh my, mango mama is right on the mark for describing this beer. I get a huge aroma of mango, orange citrus, peach, apricot and yet more mango. I can imagine it would be a bummer of the first order if someone who doesn't like mangos ordered this beer, but as I do... suffice it to say, I thought this beer smelled pretty incredible. On the palate.... hmmmm... well, to no great surprise there is plenty of sweet mango flavor, but then the orange citrus, grapefruit rind and hoppy bitterness come on strong. I guess the beer is "as advertised," but I'm not convinced that the mango flavor works all that well with the normal, masala mama flavor profile. It's still pretty tasty, but for my money, I prefer the regular version to the mango version. On the other hand, I do apprecaite how the hoppy bitterness counters and otherwise keeps in check the sweet tropical fruit flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, hoppy, fairly dry finish. Drinkability isn't bad, with the alcohol barely noticeable.

An interesting effort, and certainly not a bad beer, but for me, I believe I'll stick to the regular IPA version of this beer.

11-07-2010 20:20:57 | More by johnmichaelsen
DefenCorps

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

scoobydank sent me a growler of this. Thanks, Bill!

This just might be the ugliest beer I've seen this year. Ugly, murky, hazy, swamp-water orange with a dense, off-white head that recedes quickly, leaving no lace, this is rather poor. As for the nose - mangoes, you say? Plenty of that, with very ripe mango character present, along with a little citrus and grapefruit zest. A little spicy too, this almost smells like a holiday candle.

The palate opens moderately bitter with a big, BIG mango flavor, mildly spicy and quite citrus-like with orange and grapefruit. Bitterness is moderate to high and the finish is fruity with mango and some astringency. The mid-palate is super-fruity with the mango really coming through. Malt sweetness is light, with the caramel washed out by the mango. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, the finish is bitter and bruising. I enjoyed about a pint and a half, but this isn't the most drinkable beer out there. Thanks again, Bill!

11-07-2010 19:08:25 | More by DefenCorps
grub

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -10%

sampled on tap at the brewpub july 30/09.

pours hazy deep orange with a small fine white head. the head drops fast and leaves spotty lace as it falls.

aroma is good. wheat bread. biscuit. cracker. bit of grain. light alcohol. grapefruit rind. bit of orange peel. bit of a tropical slant, but not overly "mango" at this point. also not a huge hop presence either, perhaps being lost as it spends time aging with the fruit.

taste is good. medium-high bitterness level. grapefruit flesh and peel. orange peel. a bit tropical. melon rind. bit of mango. both the mango and the hops are much more subtle and restrained than i expected. wheat bread. cracker. bit of grain. hint of alcohol.

mouthfeel is good. medium carbonation level. medium body.

drinkability is nice. i don't think it's as balanced or as deep as the regular masala mama. a nice change of pace, but i think i'll stick to the original.

09-07-2009 21:49:49 | More by grub
cpetrone84

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Big thanks to SourNote for the chance to try this one!

A-pours a dirty murky looking very dark amber with a thin bubbly tan head.

S-notes of caramel malts are front with touches of sappy pine behind. hints of a plastic like phenol very subtle as you transition to the juicy tropical fruit blast that takes over. Mango and appricot with a juicy pine in there as well.

T-the taste follows the nose to a T. Light malt presence to keep balance up front, hints of bread and caramel, still a light plastic like phenol light in there, mango not quite as juicy in the flavor but still quite so with some dried appricot and pine sapp. The bitterness is very light in the finish.

M-medium syrupy body, a little thin in the finish and could use a little more carbonation.

D-this is extremely drinkable, very juicy and tasty! A few slight issues with a touch of plastic in there and a thinner body. The light bitterness keeps it inviting but still lets you know its an ipa.

11-02-2010 01:22:19 | More by cpetrone84
tempest

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

On-cask at the brewpub. Ordered a 12 oz. glass before dinner and it was a tasty little appetizer.

The nose is packed full of fresh-cut mango. Damn, this is way better than any sugar-y mango juice or drink I've had. It almost tastes and smells like it's still a tad ripe, but its still quite tasty. I was hoping for a little more hops character, but as the beer really warms (it was already served at 52F) grapefruit hops and spice develops. Very tasty, very drinkable, try this beer if you like hops and fruit. This is the best hoppy fruit hybrid I've had.

Serving type: cask

12-01-2008 02:10:27 | More by tempest
Habmike

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Thanks craytonic for this one. We know it was filled within days of us opening it.

Murky dull orange with almost no head once the initial largely pourous head dies down. No retention really.

Fruity as hell! The aroma is so fruity it smells like an expensive fruit juice in the nice grocery store. Also a pretty strong copper penny aroma.

Mango and grapefruit flavors. Notes of papaya and pretty good bitterness. I actually enjoy the flavor of this beer I'm just not crazy about.

Light to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation crispyness. The mouth is the best part for me in this beer. It is refreshing and pleasing to have in my mouth.

Easy to drink sure but the fruity flavors begin to wear on you after a while.

11-14-2010 23:48:47 | More by Habmike
Phelps

Arizona

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Enjoyed at the Minneapolis Town Hall brewpub, inside a ten-ounce snifter.

The orange of dusk, almost completely opaque, leaving only shadows of fingers viewable through the glass. A thin ring of white bubbles tops it.

The nose: mango, tons of caramel and honeyed biscuits. Also pineapple and some dankness. Compared with Masala Mama, there are more biscuits here, which is interesting.

Very much mango! The flavor’s packed with the sugary fruit and syrupy sweetness. The fruit interacts in an interesting way with the dank, citrusy hops. There’s also some solvent Pine-Sol character. Biscuits hint before caramel swoops in at the swallow. Lingering fruity tang.

The medium body’s fairly big, but still breaks apart in soft fizz. Smooth and somewhat syrupy — you can tell there's a lot of sugar in here. Some tongue-numbing alcohol.

Mango Mama’s better than the original, but she displays a bit of the unbalance that threw me off there, as well as some weird solvent flavors.

08-16-2011 04:49:56 | More by Phelps
brentk56

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a hazy amber color; the modestly sized head leaves dots and shards of lace

Smell: Fruit juice aromas featuring orange and mango

Taste: After an initial hint of the biscuit, a growing fruit flavor of tart orange and mango takes over; the profile grows puckeringly bitter after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Although this was quite tasty, I was expecting an insanely fruity ale, so the tart and bitter flavors were a bit of a surprise

09-25-2008 22:47:21 | More by brentk56
errantnight

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Mango Mama pours a murky, milky, muddled deep orange. No lacing, no retention. It's really unattractive... but it DOES look like what's to come. It looks like mango puree was poured in and swirled around.

Aroma is a big punch of mango, although it shows off at least initially as mango, guava, pineapple, nectarines and stone fruit. But the fruit is above all else, with a bit of citrus or pine at the fringe.

On the palate, this is punchy with that mango fruit that is cut off by a ragged, back half bitterness, full of resin and pine. It's super drinkable and enjoyable, a nice medium bodied brew that delivers on the mango, finishes dry and lightly bitter. It doesn't, however, layer on the flavor, or leap entirely out of the glass.

I really enjoyed it, it's unique, it actually does a good job of allowing the Masala Mama to show up in the back half, however... it's just Good. Not great. Really enjoyable as a regular treat at my local brewpub, absolutely worth trying (it's very unique)... just a shade short of a truly great beer.

11-19-2010 02:15:38 | More by errantnight
match1112

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

thanks to minnesotaryan for sending this!

a: deep amber body with two inches of thick patchy white foam. decent retention and lacing.

s: sweet sweet mango, a little caramel in the background.

t: more mango followed by mango, not much of a surprise on this one.

m: medium sticky body, good carbonation level. slight oily stickyness to it.

o: if mango aint your thang than avoid this beer. as for me, i really enjoyed it. a little too sweet for me to kill the growler by myself in one sitting, but over the course of two days there wasn't a problem at all!

11-11-2012 22:24:17 | More by match1112