Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Mango MamaMango Mama

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
joshuaseresse

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Mango Mama on-tap at the Town Hall 10-25-2010. Poured into a pint glass:

A - A cloudy, foggy, murky slightly pumpkin orangish hue. No head (on my first pint) but some head on the second pint. No lacing at all.

S - Fresh mango, pineapple and sweet papaya. Really sweet and tropical. Smells like mixed fruit juice. I like my IPAs fruity smelling rather than over the top bitter, so this is nice for me.

T - Wow! The mangos and ipa bitterness go really well together. Kinda bitter sweet. Other flavors of pine and pineapple, bits of apple and other delicious fruits.

M - I feel the mixture of the mangos adds a thicker feel and makes it syrupy. Not really carbonated. Silk and smooth.

D - Easy and smooth. It makes me feel if I drank too much I'd get gut rot though. But a nice treat and great to share this rarity at a tasting with some friends.

10-26-2010 19:20:00 | More by joshuaseresse
tewaris

2.95/5  rDev -31.6%

64 oz growler with a best by date of 11/09/10 poured into a Bell's tulip on 10/25/10 (the day of its release!)

Appearance 2/5
Murky orange-brown with a tiny dirty orange head with poor retention and no lacing. Not the looks of a beer, much less of an IPA.

Aroma 2/5
Nose is reminiscent of India, seriously: dry and intensely hot summer afternoons, and mangoes - fresh mangoes, mango juice, mangoes and spice. American IPA? No. For an IPA that has hints of mangoes without smelling like mango juice itself, I'd recommend Bell's Two Hearted.

Taste 3/5
I have to say that taste redeems this beer to a certain extent. There's some sweetness, massive fruitiness from mangoes, and decent bitterness but no hop flavor. Finish is slightly bitter, and quite dry, but not crisp. Carbonation is low which is generally to my liking but not this time.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Soft, with low carbonation, and decent overall, but the finish ruins it.

Drinkability 4/5
Not bad, strangely!

Other
This alcoholic beverage might not be bad but it's not beer. It's overdone in my opinion.

Serving type: growler

10-26-2010 06:06:21 | More by tewaris
Reagan1984

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Well, much to my surprise I was in MLPS for a release of Mango Mama and their anniversary celebration. I was quite excited to try this treat having loved Mama Masala in the past. Well, sadly, I have to place this near the top of my over-hyped beer list. In my mind it wasn't nearly as good as Mama Masala and had some flaws..

Pint came with NO head and was a cloudy dull amber color. No lacing at all.
Has to score rather low in visual characteristics.

Aroma was fruity with Citrus and tropical fruits including mango. Also a spice note that hinted of black pepper which certainly came in the flavor. More orange vs. traditional grapefruit.

Yep, this is Mango Mama and the mango flavor is right up front. Also there is a lot of black pepper as noted in the aroma. There was a consistent bitterness from front to back that I didn't think played too well with the mango flavor. I will say there is some complexity here and it's interesting.. but in the end, it's just ok.

Very faint carbonation with a tiny prickle on the end of your tongue. A little bit of a dry ending.

Well as I said up front, I was a little let down here. I couldn't wait to finish this and get myself a glass of the standard Mama Masala. Oh well, there truly are over hyped beers.

** I heard that this is the first time they've made a "full size" batch of this beer. Don't know if this is true, but it may have an impact here.

10-26-2010 01:30:20 | More by Reagan1984
dbossman

Nebraska

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Peach colored with a small but consistent film for head; decent lacing

S: Grapefruit from the hops dominate but the mango creeps in--as does a sweet malty undertone

T: Mango sits amazingly on top of the grainy malts and grapefruity hops but as was evident in the aromas, not all of the pleasant sweetness comes from the mango and hops--there is a pleasant malt backbone

F: Great, even mouth feel

D: So drinkable--I only wish I could enjoy this at home: great beer

08-05-2010 00:13:38 | More by dbossman
Thorpe429

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Pours a nice, bright orange with some moderate haze and a nice off-white head. Served in what is probably best described as a medium-sized goblet.

S: Very nice hit of mango with pineapple and other tropical fruits coming through. The fruit and the hops roll into one, with some piney and earthy notes hitting behind.

T: Again, this is definitely mango-forward. However, the hops have a much bigger role in the flavor than they did in the nose. The front is all mango, but the finish is dry with piney resin and a bit of dry peppery earthiness. Some malt in the background, but definitely much less so than in regular Masala Mama.

M: Moderate body with a great dryness on the finish.

D: Really, really fantastic all around. Amazed that I finally got to try this. One of the best IPAs I've had in a long time.

EDIT: Just as good in the growler format. Huge thanks to beckel for sending one out to me.

06-29-2010 14:17:26 | More by Thorpe429
drabmuh

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Got three 10 ounce pours at Town Hall over the weekend. Is 30 ounces enough to tick this one off? Tasted side by side with Masala Mama, this one was slightly better IMO, both very good though.

Beer is orange and hazy and forms a thin broken head or white bubbles (small). Carbonation moderate and steady. Looks good.

Aroma is bitter with some piny hops and a hint of mango. Smells nice.

Beer is medium bodied and a little sweet. Lots of carbonation in the mouth. If you can oxygenate the beer some the mango flavor comes out a lot, very prominent. Otherwise, there is a strong mango flavor in the back palate that competes with the strong bitterness. There is an earthiness to the whole thing that is also very interesting, piny simcoe like hop presence. Very drinkable, very good.

06-22-2010 14:06:26 | More by drabmuh
Florida9

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Hazy orange in color. Served in a snifter with a minimal white head. There is little retention and not much in the way of lacing.

S: Mango along with a faint notion of mango's black pepper pungency. Orange blossoms. Floral hops.

T: Sweet mango fruit on the front end that fades to a mild orange/citrus flavor then to a mild bitterness. Pungent pepper sticks to the tongue.

M: Medium with appropriate carbonation. A little lighter in body than Masala Mama.

D: Very good. I'm not a huge fan of sweet IPA's, but the sweetness complements the mango, while the mango still offers some complex peppery notes. It all seems to work very well for this beer; one which I found superior to Masala Mama.

Of note, Town Hall refused to sell me a growler of this beer.

05-26-2010 11:45:42 | More by Florida9
olympuszymurgus

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

One of the most surprising gifts to behold, along with a note demanding immediate consumption. Thank you my good sir!

The 2/3 fill popped open gleefully, spewing forth with ecstasy, spilling mangonic contents on the countertop. No worry. A few ounces lost and the rest shared lovingly.

A light orange color, billowing white clouds above. The smell takes me back to a place I've never been. To a land of mango lollipops on the banks of the river of hops. A light spring rain falls. Frolicking abounds. We climb evergreen grapefruit trees. With a single swirl of the glass, the mango lunges into my nose, followed by grapefruit and a hint of linalool. There is a hint of malt sweetness that blends perfectly with the mango.

The flavor is so smooth, mango lies gently to me, tells me it loves me. I know not what to believe. Surely, I feel strongly too. Then the malt comes soothingly over top of the mango, followed by waves of citrus and floral hops, perhaps a touch of pineyness.

Outstanding, so smooth, so easy, pretty big hops, perfectly balanced, warranting a trip someday. Indeed. Thanks again for taking the time..

05-21-2010 15:32:09 | More by olympuszymurgus
caskstrength

4.18/5  rDev -3%

11/17/10 again at Town Hall. Way more mango this batch. Went from mango infused IPA to IPA infused mango juice. Still good, but not 5.0 good like the first time I had it. Batch variation for sure. I'll just have to keep going back.

Had another batch in May, just not dialed in . The mango was was more tart, almost artificial flavoring, not rich and ripe. I enjoyed the regular masala mama better, actually. Unfortunately, time to downgrade the score, so my one perfect 5 beer is no more.

I'm still hopeful the IPA reviewed below will show up with future batches.
---

Walked into Town Hall, finally there with Mango Mama on tap; always seemed to miss it in the past. (a pint of Masala Mama has often provided me some consolation.) Bartender poured me a glass in a 10oz. clear goblet. Looked like an IPA, bit of haze, nice white head, yellow/orange.

Smells were classic fresh IPA, with more tropical fruit than usual. Inviting. I was thirsty, and the anticipation grew fast. I sipped....

Mango exploded forward on the tongue, but didn't dominate or overstay its welcome. Juicy citrus and pine hops then quickly took the baton and ran, then handed things off to a balancing bitterness that rounded things out beautifully.
Very unique.

The mouthfeel was crisp and clean, with just enough body to provide structure for the symphony of flavors that unfolded with each sip. Wonderfully fresh and juicy, not syrupy or overly sweet.

I had the bartender get me another and soon found myself lost in a daydream. I then realized this was the best IPA I had ever had.

What a delightful beer.

05-15-2010 14:59:44 | More by caskstrength
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Thrilled to finally have been able to sample this one, I think this is easily one of my top five most sought after. Lovely pint, served cold and proudly enjoyed.

Rich golden amber pour, lots of highlights of yellow and bright orange hints throughout. A light cloudiness lays in it as a three finger head of white comes up and over the top of the glass. Rich lacing down the sides yields a wonderfully complete look that is simply stunning. Aroma is huge, rich citrus notes that are dominated by a stunningly fresh fruit juice aroma. Rich mangos, , ripe grapefruit and a wonderful fresh, hop aroma. So rich and fresh, I could have drank this for breakfast everyday and been happy. Each sip brought even more complex and stunningly wonderful flavors. Rich mango, orange, grapefruit, no hint of any malt balance here, just straight up hop juice mixed with tropical fruit that is balanced perfectly. so drinkable I could have had a gallon and a half of this one.

Amazing beer. One of the best, if not the best single ipa i have had in years. Worth every ounce of angst I have had to try it.

05-01-2010 01:39:28 | More by mikesgroove
happilysurly

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a semi clear light copper color. It smells sweet and tart. The server told me it was the Masala Mama IPA infused with mangos. I think it made the Masala Mama taste a lot better. The taste is much sweeter and more tart than the regular IPA, you can really taste the fruit addition, but it has a nice was of mellowing out the bitterness. It smells and tastes grapfruity a bit like a hopslam.

04-04-2010 00:50:00 | More by happilysurly
pdoran10

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Hadn't heard of this beer, before I showed up Minneapolis Town Hall this winter. I knew I wanted to try Masala Mama and their winter seasonal, but after my sister ordered one and i tried it, I was instantly hooked.

The appearance is nothing out of the ordinary. A light amber color, with a small amount of head that left good lacing. The smell was amazing! Very crisp with mango blending well with citrus and pine. The taste follows the smell very closely. The mango flavoring enhances an already great IPA in a way I never thought it would. I get citrus a decent malt backbone, with delicious mango flavor that I was skeptical about going in. The mouthfeel is substantial but not overly thick. Just right for an IPA. This beer, much like it's cousin Masala Mama shines in its drinkability as it is extremely smooth and crisp with tons of flavor.

I only wish they could make enough of this to allow people to fill growlers with it. This is truly a world class IPA.

02-22-2010 04:27:48 | More by pdoran10
brewdoc75

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times over the years. I finally sat down and wrote some notes this time.

A: Orange to ruby red. Deep amber hues. Looks lovely and seductive in the 10 oz snifter.

S: Mango hits you at first. Beautiful fruitiness and sweetness. The hops add more elements of tropical fruits with a hint of passion fruit and pineapple. Some hint of pine as well. Lots of citrus in the end with orange and tangerine.

T: Once again, mango right off the bat with nice fruitiness and even a hint of spiciness. It seemlessly blends with the citrus and tropical fruits from the hops. Pleasant sweetness in the body is added from both the mango and the malts. More of a honey sweetness rather than caramel. The bitterness is there, but not as strong as in the standard Masala Mama IPA. Very well balanced fruity sweetness with hoppy bitterness. Not overly sweet like some fruit beers.

M: Medium bodied. Clean and crisp. Not syrupy like some fruit beers. Finishes nice and dry. A little sticky from the hops but fits in well.

D: This is a damn fine beer. A great after-dinner choice. The amazing aspect is how well the mango blends with thehops. The malt backbone fits in nice and the beer isn't too heavy or syrupy. I wish I could get this more often.

01-16-2010 02:08:20 | More by brewdoc75
BDLbrewster

On tap at Town Hall, came to me with a small fading head. Much darker than the O.G. mama.

The smell was that of the regular Mama, lush citrus fruit and a sweetened pine background with a small notion of fruity, under-ripe piney mango.

The taste was sensational, all the balance and pronounced pine, grapefruit and sweet malty goodness of the original. Then the mangoes come into play, up front in the mouth and integrated perfectly into the mother beer. Real mango flavor minus the intense sweetness of the naked fruit, never overbearing and they seem to be tasted incrementally from the sip to the swallow. Awesome.

Mouthfeel was good, nice carbonation, not syrupy at all and slippery on the tongue.

Overall, awesome brew, low abv, high drinkability and tastes wonderful. I wish this was available in growlers, but sadly I will just have to sip snifter by wonderful snifter.

01-07-2010 00:34:46 | More by BDLbrewster
WeisGuy

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

Surprised to find this on-tap at the brewpub yesterday.

a - pours a deep golden color, pretty hazy, one-inch ivory head with decent retention and good lacing

s - incredible slightly green fresh mango aroma, like you just cut a mango in half, mixed with some grapefruit hoppiness, slight alcohol note

t - big citrusy bitterness up front with lots of grapefruit and orange, mid-palate and finish are dominated by an amazingly intense mango flavor, like the smell, it taste like just bit into a slightly green and very fresh mango rind and all, lingering bitterness on the finish with only a slight alcohol presence

m - medium-bodied, medium-to-higher carbonation, very active in the mouth, very dry and bitter finish, slight alcohol warming

d - pretty intense bitterness limits drinkability somewhat, I love the flavor, but I could see the big mango flavors getting a bit tiresome after a few glasses

Perhaps the most spot-on fruit flavor I've ever tasted in a beer -- the mango aroma and taste is incredible. It doesn't seem as complex as the regular version due to the intense mango flavors, but it's a damn good variation.

01-03-2010 23:31:45 | More by WeisGuy
brian23456

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

On-tap at the brewery. From notes:

A- Hazy amber color, decent head and lacing.

S- Mango, mango and more mango. Thats all I can smell, it is a glorious scent though.

T- For the most part same as the smell, mango. Very sweet and somewhat bitter. Some apricot and hops. The flavor is actually very good, but halfway through I know I won't be ordering another.

M- Medium body with a good carbonation level.

D- Very interesting brew, unlike any other. I will order this anytime they have it around, but only one!

12-05-2009 05:58:37 | More by brian23456
paco1029384756

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a tiny white head.

Scent of mango, sugars, and some bitter hops. Not very hoppy, but the fruity mango character is nice, but doesn't quite deliver.

Taste of hops and mango. Not very bitter, and rather one dimensional. I really love mango and hops, but this one just falls a little flat on both fronts.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with good carbonation.

10-31-2009 02:33:45 | More by paco1029384756
Sean9689

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Served on-tap at Town Hall. Poured into tulip glass x2.

A - Burnt orange color, thin head with no retention or lacing.

S - Sweet mangos mixed with a light dusting of citrus hops. More mangos then hops, that's for sure. Both of these characteristics meld well together...much better then I was expecting, in fact.

T - Much like the nose, sweet mangos and hop notes. More hoppy bitterness on the palate when compared to the nose. They have combined these two characteristics together perfectly, and it makes for a damn tasty beer. Not too sweet, not too hoppy...juuusssttt right.

M - Light to medium bodied, gentle light carbonation, clean and refreshing. Syrupy finish, but doesn't detract from anything.

D - I wish I lived a lot close to Town Hall. They continue to produce some of the best stuff out there, and this one is at the top of the list for me. Just a stellar beer.

10-26-2009 23:21:41 | More by Sean9689
dfillius

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Served in 10 oz. wine glass

A: Nice white lace on top. Pretty, cloudy reddish amber gold liquid. A little more head for smell transmission would be nice.
S: Mango, a little band-aid? Citrus hops. Wowzers - Man Candy!
T: Very tart, some green mango, nice sweetness from malt, slight ester covered by mango. Very tasty, very hoppy.
M: Slight heat. Great bitterness.
D: Very nice, I want more but Surly Wet is on tap too and I have to drive! I'd get a growler of Mango Mama if they sold it.

10-18-2009 22:24:06 | More by dfillius
Shango42

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Serving type-on tap poured into tulip glass.

A-Cloudy orange pour with very little head. The small head manages to leave a decent lacing ring around the glass though.
S-Citrusy - oranges, grapefruit and mangos. Gentle but noticeable hops.
T-How to describe this? Bliss! Smooth, a little sweet, and good fruitiness from the mangos up front. I can't stress the smooth enough. So very smooth that I almost want to gulp it yet savor the flavors at the same time. Some carbonation saturates the tongue in the middle and provides for a bridge to the hops. This is, after all, an IPA of one of the finest hoppy beer lineages. The hops are bitter and prickly on the tongue. Mango and citrusy goodness flows throughout the experience. The finish is all Masala Mama with the trademark bitterness that lingers and lingers and lingers on the tongue. Wow! What a gem!
M-So many different mouthfeels on this one as it works in stages. From lightly sweet and smooth to noticeable carbonation to prickly bitterness. It is an experience beer.
D-Why must you torture me Town Hall? You break this out every once in a while, for one keg at a time, you don't put it in growlers for me to take home, and then it is gone. The rest of the country needs to be able to enjoy Mango Mama too. Please find it in your heart to growler this so I can drink glass after glass in the comfort of my own home.

09-16-2009 00:57:48 | More by Shango42
grub

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -10%

sampled on tap at the brewpub july 30/09.

pours hazy deep orange with a small fine white head. the head drops fast and leaves spotty lace as it falls.

aroma is good. wheat bread. biscuit. cracker. bit of grain. light alcohol. grapefruit rind. bit of orange peel. bit of a tropical slant, but not overly "mango" at this point. also not a huge hop presence either, perhaps being lost as it spends time aging with the fruit.

taste is good. medium-high bitterness level. grapefruit flesh and peel. orange peel. a bit tropical. melon rind. bit of mango. both the mango and the hops are much more subtle and restrained than i expected. wheat bread. cracker. bit of grain. hint of alcohol.

mouthfeel is good. medium carbonation level. medium body.

drinkability is nice. i don't think it's as balanced or as deep as the regular masala mama. a nice change of pace, but i think i'll stick to the original.

09-07-2009 21:49:49 | More by grub
younger35

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Decided to grab a few beers one night while the little lady worked late. Had this beer after their Smoked Porter so this tastes extra fruity after that. Drank from a small generic snifter.

Appearance- Pours a chill hazed light orange with little to no head. A super thin collar remains that amazingly leaves quite a bit if lacing as no real cap remains.
Smell- Smells a little like Masala with a bit of raw earthy pine from the start. Some dandelion and grass but the fruit is obviously the clear winner in the nose. The Mango is redonkulously fresh smelling and so inviting. Fruity and hoppy all intertwined in an amazingly spectacular nose.
Taste- Starts with a cleanly fruity mango kick that is citrusy and fresh but nowhere near sweet. It's somewhere between a fresh mango taste and a generic fermented mango fruitiness. Slightly bitter as well with a slight kick of pine and spearmint that is pretty earthy. The beer manages to stay fresh and lively and the freshness of the mango is amazing.
Mouthfeel- Bigger than medium body with a nice aggressive carbonation that works pretty well overall with the beer.
Drinkability- F bomb I love this beer. It's so drinkable and fruity but not ridiculous or girly. It couldn't possibly work together any better than this does with the bitter and the fruit. I usually like my fruit beer to be over-the-top like all New Glarus fruit brews and this one isn't. Just well done and supremely enjoyable.

08-28-2009 20:59:42 | More by younger35
Deuane

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

After missing this day less than a day at the pub earlier this summer I was glad to see MTH brought a keg of this along to GToM 2009.

A-Hazy, murky, orange copper with a medium light tan head that reduced to a thin ring and left some webby lace.

S-Ummm, this is tough...pungent mango with a supporting blast of bright citrus (grapefruit, orange, tangerine and lemon) along with a nice floral flourish. Light caramel sweetness in the background.

T-Luscious mango and bright citrus melds with herbal/floral hoppiness and fades into a pool of mildly sweet caramel malt. This is some mighty fine tasting stuff....just a touch less flavourful than the aroma is pungent.

M-Medium bodied, smooth with LONG lasting flavours, hop bitterness and a moderately dry finish.

D-Really? Not much to improve here....I wouldn't say it's better than Masala Mama, it's simply different yet, as good. Sweet, but never overly sweet. Of course, tasty as all get out! Kudos to MTH!

08-22-2009 14:38:18 | More by Deuane
Mistofminn

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Oh mama...

Masala Mama, I love. Mango's, I adore. This is a match made in heaven to my ears, and I'm glad I finally made it out when they had this "Town Hall Favorite" on tap.

Served in a 10 oz goblet, this is an orange amber color with an off-white tan head. Frothy retention and nice lacing. Healthy carbonation.

Massive tropical fruits in this one. If the floral qualities of the hops aren't enough for you, then the ever-so-subtle addition of the sweet mango will buckle your knees in anticipation. Floral and tropical, with a very down to earth bitter presence that makes the mouth water.

Tropical juicy fruit dominate, with an excellent hop bitterness. Honestly, not as bitter as the regular Masala Mama, it is as if the mango has absorbed some and given this a cask-like feel to it, much more mellow than I expected. I definitely like this...

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and clean. Leaves a nice bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is, in other words, perfection. The perfect session brew, no matter what the circumstances or weather.

Masala Mama who? This stuff rocks. If you like the base beer, and have a taste for the tropical, you will fall in love with this beer, guaranteed. Highly recommended.

08-18-2009 05:53:58 | More by Mistofminn
rudylaw

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap @ GTOM

Easily one of my favorites at Great Taste.

A cloudy orange pour with a thick, white head.

Tons of citrus aroma. Mangos, mangos, more mangos, some orange and lemon dominate this IPA. It's nice and bitter, finishes dry and is 110% refreshing. Drinks almost like fruit juice on a hot summer day.

Wow, was this something else! I could put a whole growler of this down in an afternoon and not think twice. If you love mangos, what the hell are you waiting for?

08-14-2009 00:41:01 | More by rudylaw