Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Mango MamaMango Mama

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007)

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

At last, growlers!

In a tulip, looks exactly like apple cider. Reddish brown color, opaque and no head at all. No lacing.

Citrusy hops with mango and cider notes. Not real strong overall.

Big pine and citrus hop presence with a large dose of fresh mango. Apple cider sweetness with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

Medium bodied and smooth with adequate carbonation.

Drinks beautifully. I could suck down a whole growler myself. This is easily my favorite IPA in the world, but I will say it is slightly better on tap. Still happy as a clam that I could have it at home.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Finally get to try this one. Poured from a growler into my Southern tier tulip glass. It looked pretty much like apple cider in my glass, brown and murky. At least if any of the trick or treaters ask tonight it will pass for cider. It poured with very little head and what was there completely disappeared in a minute or so. It's hard to rate this one's appearance, as a traditional American IPA it would score pretty bad on looks. It's not very traditional though and having regular Masala Mama I'm sure the mangos have a lot to do with the look. I'm going to cut it some slack in this category and say it's average for fruit addition beers, which is probably still generous.

The mangos really come through in the aroma. They give it a bright, juicy, fruity, tropical citrusness that just adds to the citrus hoppiness already present. A little bit of grapefruit and pine come out in it as well. Pretty good hoppiness overall, and the mangos really add some cool flavors to it.

The taste really shows off the mangos too. Like the nose they add a brighter, citrusy and fruity element with more tropical fruit flavors coming through. It also has a pretty big grapefruit bitterness coming through with some pine to it as well. I'm getting a bit of a peppery like spice to it as well towards the finish. The finish shows more of the juicy mango fruit lingering for a bit. Very nice flavors to it overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it had some very nice hoppy and fruity flavors to it. The mangos went pretty well with the hoppiness overall and seemed to add some nice tropical citrus and fruity flavors to an already excellent beer. Cool beer overall and a pretty good beer overall. Glad I had the chance to finally try it.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One hit is on appearance - as those kind of standards go. Very murky and muddy looking. First pour no head and second pour had a loose head that disappeared quickly. So get the hard hit part out of the way first.
Aroma is fantastic. Great combo of mango, other fruit, mostly citrus, but not exclusively and great citrus hops.
Very complex flavors. Grassy, bitter, mango, grapefruit, sweet fruit. Strong home grown/fresh hop characteristics. Pushes excess of hop flavors (like a DIPA), but doesn't cross the line to distaste.
Heavy malt feel (interesting with minimal malt flavors). A touch of slickness makes an enjoyable feel.
Yummy! Very easy to drink more than one, even with all the bitterness - it just wasn't an issue.
Mango fades as warms and the grapefruit flavors with tartness and fruitiness increase.
Growler shared among three. Thanks to Chuck for sharing.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at the brewpub, served in a 10 oz snifter.

Pours a very cloudy dark orange, looks like tangerine juice, very thick light tan head forms, settles to a solid ring, lace spirals down the glass. Smell is wacky, caramel and floral, very fruity, tons of mango and orange, kind of smells like weed, the mango character is interesting, almost like mango skins or something, really interesting. Taste is similar, very intense, mango skins again, fruit, weed, apricots, orange, caramel, citrusy hops, some pine, very floral, pretty big bitterness in the finish, moreso than regular Masala. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, its great but I don't think I could drink too much of it because of the intense mango character. Pretty damn cool experiment, this stuff is badass.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap. Poured into a Town Hall pint glass. Pours a slightly hazed and murky amber orange color with a 1 finger off white head which settles rather quickly. Fruity aroma, duh right?, with citrus type hops aroma. Sweet mango flavor upfront follows by a nice citrus hops type bitterness. Loads of citrus rind bitterness. Medium mouthfeel. Surprised at the lackluster head and poor lacing as I don't recall previous batches being as such, perhaps making a full batch vs. 1 keg at a time has something to do with it or the fact they had to use pasteurized mango puree vs. mango chunks . Really drinkable though. As I have had this several times I feel the quality wavers a little bit between batches. This time the carbonation was less than before probably due to my aformentioned reasons. Still, this is an awesome brew that drinks really easily and tastes great.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Reviewed from notes: Huge thank goes out to Ty for sending this one my way.

appearance: copper orange with 1 finger off white head

smell: mango, citrus, hops, caramel, malts

taste: mango, citrus, hops, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: a very nice IPA with lots of mango character. So glad I had the chance to try this one.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Deuane for sharing this growler on 11/2/10, and for Uncle Jedi for producing said growler for Deuane!

A - Poured a cloudy, almost murky pumpkin orange liquid with two fingers of bubbly froth on top that reduced to a thin, swirly patch and produced no lacing, unfortunately.

S - Mmmmm... you can smell that mango from a mile away! There is also an unusual spicy, almost peppery tinge to the aroma reminiscent of spicy pear, perhaps. Interesting.

T - Initial flavor is juicy and fruity but with a spicy bite akin to pear or apple, but also very citrus-esque. Hop character is quite leafy and spicy, but hints of clove and perhaps coriander are also evident. Somewhat odd but awesome nevertheless!

M - Medium bodied with a pleasant wash of carbonation, which provides an effervescent mouthfeel with a light oily texture. Finishes with moderate hop bitterness and a hint of bristle on the palate.

D - This was much spicier than I remember from my sample at Great Taste of the Midwest '09. Still, this is a deliciously fruity IPA with perfect hop bitterness and tangy mango goodness. Yum!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz growler into an oversized tulip. Big thanks to joshuaseresse for this in a recent trade.

Pours a deep murky burnt orange, with several big & foamy fingers of dirty off-white head. This peters down pretty darn quickly, looking flat and dead with a light foamy ring around the edges and leaving just a light smattering of spotty lacing down the sides of the glass. The mango immediately jumps out in the aroma, being full of juicy smelling sugars and fruit character. Pine and earth cuts through the center of things with a certain amount of sharpness, while light toasted malts are also present and mostly mingle with the sweetness of the mango. Some light floral tones hang on the edges of the nose.

The taste is fruit and sugary feeling in the mouth, with a mix of bread, sweeter caramel, and mango flavor that literally just drips with an overripe juiciness to it. This blend leaves a big impression on the profile, before starting to pull up before the swallow and prickling the tongue with more hoppy notes of resins, grapefruit, bitter rind, and spice which all linger with an earthy and dry feel. Just a little bit of residual fruit and sugars hang on the lips with a light smack after each sip of this. The mouthfeel is medium, maybe a touch fuller bodied, with a crisp prickliness to the carbonation along where all of that bitterness runs, while being more thick and slick underneath where that overripe fruit and sticky malt resides. Overall, this is just hugely drinkable and I'm not getting one iota of alcohol from the body at all.

I initially had some worries when I first cracked this growler, as the rapidly faded look and an almost metallic feel that initially came out in the taste (which then rapidly disappeared as this warmed) had me fearing that maybe this had spent more time in the growler than it should have. The more I had of this though, the more that I realized that I couldn't have been more wrong and this REALLY grew on me the more I worked on it. The mango, while strong, gives this quite a refreshing fruity quality but there is more than enough bitterness to keep the hopheads happy as well. I must say though that the drinkibility was what impressed me the most though. I was ripping through glasses of this much faster than I seem to remember doing with my last growler of the regular Masala Mamma. Wow, I really ended up enjoying this. Wish I had some more.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy...Mango Mama is back at TH.
I had only had this at ABR last year, so I was waiting for a real chance to review it.
Nice tan orange pour and a great head that doesn't go away too quickly, and leaves a ring the whole way down.
Aroma is perfect the mango really comes through well (not a fruit I am crazy about, but in a beer, mmm....). Nice hoppy aromas, citrus and flowers.
Taste is great, at first the mango really comes trough, but then a sweet candy like hop taste comes through.
Mouthfeel is nice, perfectly carbonated, with a great easy smooth touch, I would have had a few of these, but wanted to move on to something else.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Hazy orange in color. Served in a snifter with a minimal white head. There is little retention and not much in the way of lacing.

S: Mango along with a faint notion of mango's black pepper pungency. Orange blossoms. Floral hops.

T: Sweet mango fruit on the front end that fades to a mild orange/citrus flavor then to a mild bitterness. Pungent pepper sticks to the tongue.

M: Medium with appropriate carbonation. A little lighter in body than Masala Mama.

D: Very good. I'm not a huge fan of sweet IPA's, but the sweetness complements the mango, while the mango still offers some complex peppery notes. It all seems to work very well for this beer; one which I found superior to Masala Mama.

Of note, Town Hall refused to sell me a growler of this beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Extremely cloudy mango to burnt umber appearance with an attractive 2 finger khaki crown that displays little retention and lace.

Smell: Loads of mango over a subtle pine sap note.

Taste: Much like the nose with citrus fruit dominating the front, a bit of malt in the background, and a short appearance of some hop bitterness in the finish. Doesn't jive all too well for me although it does have a level of complexity to it that is above and beyond standard Masala Mama.

Mouthfeel: A fairly creamy medium body with way too little carbonation. UPDATE: The second and third pour from the growler was a bit more lively so I've increased my original score of 2.5 to 3.5

Drinkability: Goes down easy.

I'm fairly certain this one was filled about a week ago so maybe that factored into my review (although the cap says consume by 11/9/10 on it). Upon the first few sips, the IPA quality of this brew was mutilated by the mango. Eventually though I started picking up both qualities and thought that they went together fairly well. The mouthfeel is pretty bad though.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Many many many many thanks to dontcostnuthin for sharing this with me. I owe you one John!

A- Pours a murky orangish brown color. Almost looks like fresh made apple cider. Half finger off white head that caps the beer. Spotty lacing with some streaks on the sides of the glass.

S- When I first opened the growler all I could smell was mango. To be honest it made my mouth water. After pouring it I took another sniff. Tons of fresh mango aroma. This dominates the nose to be honest. There is also some citrus hops and light spicey hop to this that balances it out a little bit. Mostly still mango aroma though.

T- Mango is the first flavor I taste and it comes through bursting. Directly after this there is a light bitter hop bite. The middle of the beer has light malt character without actually being overly so if that makes sense. There is another light mango burst with some spicey hops in the ending. The alcohol in this is faint and all in the back.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little lacking but I forgive because of my way I got the beer. Mango was left on the palate along with more mango and light alcohol in the aftertaste. Flavor was mango forward yet balanced by the malts and hops. Medium alcohol drying on the palate. Clean tasting overall.

D- This beer is incredible to me. I love fresh fruits and this one delivers on the flavor without the artifical off flavors of other fruit beers. The ABV is low enough that a growler or many pints of this is something that can be done. This is my second beer from Minneapolis Town Hall and to be honest I think they know what they are doing...and doing it good.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a semi clear light copper color. It smells sweet and tart. The server told me it was the Masala Mama IPA infused with mangos. I think it made the Masala Mama taste a lot better. The taste is much sweeter and more tart than the regular IPA, you can really taste the fruit addition, but it has a nice was of mellowing out the bitterness. It smells and tastes grapfruity a bit like a hopslam.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Huge thanks (as always) to maximum12 for passing a growler of this treat along to me. Maximum12 would be on the Mount Rushmore of traders if ever there was such a thing. Cracked this open during Joe Pa's 400th victory game against Northwestern.

A - Pours a cloudy yellow orange with a white head that quickly runs away. To me, it looks a little like a Saison on pour. Murky and somewhat cloudy.

S - For me the best part of the beer. A rich luscious smell of mango, grapefruit, and other fruits feel like I should be sitting in the El San Juan as opposed to sitting on my couch. Really delightful and I could have smelled this all day if it was not so disturbing that I had my nose buried in my glass for as long as I did. I can't think of how they could make this more appealing.

T - Probably a 4.25 for me if there could be such a thing. The mango comes through wonderfully, a little sweet. At this point though, the sweetness meets up on the corner with a blast of tartness/bitterness staying at least partly true to style instead of merely being a mango puree.

M - Pretty rich. Not a whole lot of carbonation here so you get a pretty nice richness.

D - Really very nice. I am not the biggest IPA fan but how could I have turned this one down. Arguing with maximum12 is a futile exercise in its own, so I took one for the team and polished off the growler.

I am really glad I got the chance to try this one and would certainly like to do so again. Let me put it this way, I would say that this was about the 4th best beer that I received in the box from Corey. That guy should be in tghe BA Hall of Fame.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times over the years. I finally sat down and wrote some notes this time.

A: Orange to ruby red. Deep amber hues. Looks lovely and seductive in the 10 oz snifter.

S: Mango hits you at first. Beautiful fruitiness and sweetness. The hops add more elements of tropical fruits with a hint of passion fruit and pineapple. Some hint of pine as well. Lots of citrus in the end with orange and tangerine.

T: Once again, mango right off the bat with nice fruitiness and even a hint of spiciness. It seemlessly blends with the citrus and tropical fruits from the hops. Pleasant sweetness in the body is added from both the mango and the malts. More of a honey sweetness rather than caramel. The bitterness is there, but not as strong as in the standard Masala Mama IPA. Very well balanced fruity sweetness with hoppy bitterness. Not overly sweet like some fruit beers.

M: Medium bodied. Clean and crisp. Not syrupy like some fruit beers. Finishes nice and dry. A little sticky from the hops but fits in well.

D: This is a damn fine beer. A great after-dinner choice. The amazing aspect is how well the mango blends with thehops. The malt backbone fits in nice and the beer isn't too heavy or syrupy. I wish I could get this more often.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

A huge thanks to mothman for sending me a growler of this.

Shared with raceway40 and SamuelJackson45. Poured into my Delerium Tremens tulip glass.

A: A nice cloudy orange/copper color. A one finger head, with moderate lacing.

S: Simply fantastic. I think i literally spent more time smelling this beer than I did drinking it. The mango is overwhelming, followed by some great citrus notes from the hops.

T: I hate to say but the taste was a little underwhelming after the nose. The aroma of mango is much stronger than the actual flavor of it. Still though, this is a great tasting beer. The mango notes interplay nicely with the citrus flavors from the hops. Fairly sweet.

M: Nice and smooth, with a good level of carbonation.

D: Drinkability is simply through the roof. This is a really tasty beer that I would gladly indulge in again. My second glass, from the end of the growler had some nice little chunky bits of mango in it that added a bit more sweetness. Great stuff. Thanks again Ben.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

On tap at the brewpub. Poured into a 10 oz. goblet glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and slightly hazy amber orange with a little ruby red. Moderate amount of bubbles. Decent two fingers of off white head that slowly fade into a thin layer. Good amount of lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: Huge vibrant aroma of citrus and tropical fruits. Big hints of mango, grapefruit, pineapple, and oranges. Hints of honey and a little candied sugar. Also some bready malts in the background. Smells fairly sweet and very citrusy on the nose.

Taste: A very citrus forward and fairly sweet taste. Good taste of mango, oranges, pineapple, grapefruit, and even some honeydew. Also some hints of sugar and a little honey. Some bready caramel malts and earthy hops linger in the background. Lots of fresh citrus although the bitterness is fairly light for such a big citrus forward IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Very creamy and somewhat sticky. Sweet but finishes somewhat dry. Very smooth.

Overall: A very interesting and tasty take on a IPA. Very big fruity taste that achieves a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

had on tap in 10 oz goblet at MTHB it pours a peach orange slightly hazy color with 1/3 inch head...the smell is the mango its tropical smelling and sweet i also smell some grapefruit and hop/spice..the taste is super the mango hits you first the it gives way to their delicious marsala ipa which means tasty hops /grapfruit ans sweet/mild malt( MTH flagship imo) this one is so good it is so well balanced highly flavorful and with the infused mango it is just WOW..this is a must try ipa.. the only thing negative is that the 10 oz glass goes down fast and they do not sell in growlers.... this one is highly recommended

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Into a tulip glass, looks just like the Masala Mama, but without any head or lacing, and I couldn't twirl much into existence. The aroma was a bit tame, but a lovely fruity blend of hops and the infused mango. With a name like Mango Mama, I'd have expected this to go a little over the top with the fruit, and thankfully it didn't. It still is basically the same Masala everyone knows and loves, with a gentle touch of the mango fruit to sweeten it up a bit. A great idea, the perfect fruit for this. lovely.

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery