Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Mango MamaMango Mama

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 249 | Reviews: 110
3.76/5  rDev -12.6%

Well, much to my surprise I was in MLPS for a release of Mango Mama and their anniversary celebration. I was quite excited to try this treat having loved Mama Masala in the past. Well, sadly, I have to place this near the top of my over-hyped beer list. In my mind it wasn't nearly as good as Mama Masala and had some flaws..

Pint came with NO head and was a cloudy dull amber color. No lacing at all.
Has to score rather low in visual characteristics.

Aroma was fruity with Citrus and tropical fruits including mango. Also a spice note that hinted of black pepper which certainly came in the flavor. More orange vs. traditional grapefruit.

Yep, this is Mango Mama and the mango flavor is right up front. Also there is a lot of black pepper as noted in the aroma. There was a consistent bitterness from front to back that I didn't think played too well with the mango flavor. I will say there is some complexity here and it's interesting.. but in the end, it's just ok.

Very faint carbonation with a tiny prickle on the end of your tongue. A little bit of a dry ending.

Well as I said up front, I was a little let down here. I couldn't wait to finish this and get myself a glass of the standard Mama Masala. Oh well, there truly are over hyped beers.

** I heard that this is the first time they've made a "full size" batch of this beer. Don't know if this is true, but it may have an impact here.

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to the guy who gave me this. Thanks

Appearance: Pours a deep amber with absolutely no head.

Smell: Mango the face! I had some fresh mango last night and it smells identical

Taste: Sweet mango with some earthy grain

Mouthfeel: Decent mouthfeel with the mango that lingers

Overall: After having masala mama I was very hesitant to dabble into mango but I was impressed.

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%

64oz growler provided by Sean...Tough to open and as it does a huge hiss, a slight gusher. Pours with tons of head, a light tope head with a hint of orange to it, watery and falls quickly. The beer is a dark dirty orange, tons of bits of fruit float throughout the glass....The aroma is really nice, great notes of mango not at all overwhelming or too sweet, light pine resin on the back balances out...The taste is a huge let down, most the sweetness is gone, light mango but a lot of medicinal/metallic/pine flavors are not great.

Pretty easy to drink but I'm just not that impressed. I've got a feeling this batch is just not that good.

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Turbid appearance, completely opaque. The head is fleeting, the body, unsurprisingly, is the color of mango flesh.

Tons of mango on the nose. Sweet and tart mango flesh with an herbal, citrusy hop note buried under the fruit. A great nose, I really like the fruit character.

Tastes like bitter mango juice. The fruit flavor is huge, but thankfully more citrusy and lightly tart than sweet. There's maybe a hint of malt, but the mango really obliterates the base beer. Hop flavors are present in the form of citrus and herbs. It finishes similar to Masala Mama; bitter and punchy, but clean. The malt character of Masala Mama is lost here.

This was fairly enjoyable and very easy to drink, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again. When it comes to IPAs, I prefer the fruit flavors to come from hops.

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a tiny white head.

Scent of mango, sugars, and some bitter hops. Not very hoppy, but the fruity mango character is nice, but doesn't quite deliver.

Taste of hops and mango. Not very bitter, and rather one dimensional. I really love mango and hops, but this one just falls a little flat on both fronts.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with good carbonation.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Many thanks to Dyan for sharing this the other day.

Mango mama is not a particularly attractive beer, pouring a hazy, murky, light amber brown color with at best fair head retention and minimal lacing. The beer doesn't look like much, but then I took my first sniff. My oh my, mango mama is right on the mark for describing this beer. I get a huge aroma of mango, orange citrus, peach, apricot and yet more mango. I can imagine it would be a bummer of the first order if someone who doesn't like mangos ordered this beer, but as I do... suffice it to say, I thought this beer smelled pretty incredible. On the palate.... hmmmm... well, to no great surprise there is plenty of sweet mango flavor, but then the orange citrus, grapefruit rind and hoppy bitterness come on strong. I guess the beer is "as advertised," but I'm not convinced that the mango flavor works all that well with the normal, masala mama flavor profile. It's still pretty tasty, but for my money, I prefer the regular version to the mango version. On the other hand, I do apprecaite how the hoppy bitterness counters and otherwise keeps in check the sweet tropical fruit flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, hoppy, fairly dry finish. Drinkability isn't bad, with the alcohol barely noticeable.

An interesting effort, and certainly not a bad beer, but for me, I believe I'll stick to the regular IPA version of this beer.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

scoobydank sent me a growler of this. Thanks, Bill!

This just might be the ugliest beer I've seen this year. Ugly, murky, hazy, swamp-water orange with a dense, off-white head that recedes quickly, leaving no lace, this is rather poor. As for the nose - mangoes, you say? Plenty of that, with very ripe mango character present, along with a little citrus and grapefruit zest. A little spicy too, this almost smells like a holiday candle.

The palate opens moderately bitter with a big, BIG mango flavor, mildly spicy and quite citrus-like with orange and grapefruit. Bitterness is moderate to high and the finish is fruity with mango and some astringency. The mid-palate is super-fruity with the mango really coming through. Malt sweetness is light, with the caramel washed out by the mango. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, the finish is bitter and bruising. I enjoyed about a pint and a half, but this isn't the most drinkable beer out there. Thanks again, Bill!

3.87/5  rDev -10%

Thanks craytonic for this one. We know it was filled within days of us opening it.

Murky dull orange with almost no head once the initial largely pourous head dies down. No retention really.

Fruity as hell! The aroma is so fruity it smells like an expensive fruit juice in the nice grocery store. Also a pretty strong copper penny aroma.

Mango and grapefruit flavors. Notes of papaya and pretty good bitterness. I actually enjoy the flavor of this beer I'm just not crazy about.

Light to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation crispyness. The mouth is the best part for me in this beer. It is refreshing and pleasing to have in my mouth.

Easy to drink sure but the fruity flavors begin to wear on you after a while.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

sampled on tap at the brewpub july 30/09.

pours hazy deep orange with a small fine white head. the head drops fast and leaves spotty lace as it falls.

aroma is good. wheat bread. biscuit. cracker. bit of grain. light alcohol. grapefruit rind. bit of orange peel. bit of a tropical slant, but not overly "mango" at this point. also not a huge hop presence either, perhaps being lost as it spends time aging with the fruit.

taste is good. medium-high bitterness level. grapefruit flesh and peel. orange peel. a bit tropical. melon rind. bit of mango. both the mango and the hops are much more subtle and restrained than i expected. wheat bread. cracker. bit of grain. hint of alcohol.

mouthfeel is good. medium carbonation level. medium body.

drinkability is nice. i don't think it's as balanced or as deep as the regular masala mama. a nice change of pace, but i think i'll stick to the original.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

Big thanks to SourNote for the chance to try this one!

A-pours a dirty murky looking very dark amber with a thin bubbly tan head.

S-notes of caramel malts are front with touches of sappy pine behind. hints of a plastic like phenol very subtle as you transition to the juicy tropical fruit blast that takes over. Mango and appricot with a juicy pine in there as well.

T-the taste follows the nose to a T. Light malt presence to keep balance up front, hints of bread and caramel, still a light plastic like phenol light in there, mango not quite as juicy in the flavor but still quite so with some dried appricot and pine sapp. The bitterness is very light in the finish.

M-medium syrupy body, a little thin in the finish and could use a little more carbonation.

D-this is extremely drinkable, very juicy and tasty! A few slight issues with a touch of plastic in there and a thinner body. The light bitterness keeps it inviting but still lets you know its an ipa.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

On-cask at the brewpub. Ordered a 12 oz. glass before dinner and it was a tasty little appetizer.

The nose is packed full of fresh-cut mango. Damn, this is way better than any sugar-y mango juice or drink I've had. It almost tastes and smells like it's still a tad ripe, but its still quite tasty. I was hoping for a little more hops character, but as the beer really warms (it was already served at 52F) grapefruit hops and spice develops. Very tasty, very drinkable, try this beer if you like hops and fruit. This is the best hoppy fruit hybrid I've had.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Enjoyed at the Minneapolis Town Hall brewpub, inside a ten-ounce snifter.

The orange of dusk, almost completely opaque, leaving only shadows of fingers viewable through the glass. A thin ring of white bubbles tops it.

The nose: mango, tons of caramel and honeyed biscuits. Also pineapple and some dankness. Compared with Masala Mama, there are more biscuits here, which is interesting.

Very much mango! The flavor’s packed with the sugary fruit and syrupy sweetness. The fruit interacts in an interesting way with the dank, citrusy hops. There’s also some solvent Pine-Sol character. Biscuits hint before caramel swoops in at the swallow. Lingering fruity tang.

The medium body’s fairly big, but still breaks apart in soft fizz. Smooth and somewhat syrupy — you can tell there's a lot of sugar in here. Some tongue-numbing alcohol.

Mango Mama’s better than the original, but she displays a bit of the unbalance that threw me off there, as well as some weird solvent flavors.

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a hazy amber color; the modestly sized head leaves dots and shards of lace

Smell: Fruit juice aromas featuring orange and mango

Taste: After an initial hint of the biscuit, a growing fruit flavor of tart orange and mango takes over; the profile grows puckeringly bitter after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Although this was quite tasty, I was expecting an insanely fruity ale, so the tart and bitter flavors were a bit of a surprise

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery