Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap. Poured into a Town Hall pint glass. Pours a slightly hazed and murky amber orange color with a 1 finger off white head which settles rather quickly. Fruity aroma, duh right?, with citrus type hops aroma. Sweet mango flavor upfront follows by a nice citrus hops type bitterness. Loads of citrus rind bitterness. Medium mouthfeel. Surprised at the lackluster head and poor lacing as I don't recall previous batches being as such, perhaps making a full batch vs. 1 keg at a time has something to do with it or the fact they had to use pasteurized mango puree vs. mango chunks . Really drinkable though. As I have had this several times I feel the quality wavers a little bit between batches. This time the carbonation was less than before probably due to my aformentioned reasons. Still, this is an awesome brew that drinks really easily and tastes great. (860 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Hazy orange in color. Served in a snifter with a minimal white head. There is little retention and not much in the way of lacing.

S: Mango along with a faint notion of mango's black pepper pungency. Orange blossoms. Floral hops.

T: Sweet mango fruit on the front end that fades to a mild orange/citrus flavor then to a mild bitterness. Pungent pepper sticks to the tongue.

M: Medium with appropriate carbonation. A little lighter in body than Masala Mama.

D: Very good. I'm not a huge fan of sweet IPA's, but the sweetness complements the mango, while the mango still offers some complex peppery notes. It all seems to work very well for this beer; one which I found superior to Masala Mama.

Of note, Town Hall refused to sell me a growler of this beer. (766 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy...Mango Mama is back at TH.
I had only had this at ABR last year, so I was waiting for a real chance to review it.
Nice tan orange pour and a great head that doesn't go away too quickly, and leaves a ring the whole way down.
Aroma is perfect the mango really comes through well (not a fruit I am crazy about, but in a beer, mmm....). Nice hoppy aromas, citrus and flowers.
Taste is great, at first the mango really comes trough, but then a sweet candy like hop taste comes through.
Mouthfeel is nice, perfectly carbonated, with a great easy smooth touch, I would have had a few of these, but wanted to move on to something else. (651 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to cope0021 for a growler of this beauty! Drank it over the course of a day or two, although I probably could have finished it in the first few hours.

It's a beer first rather than say, a juice drink, but the sharp hops are still cut slightly by the mango. Not overwhelming, but present to prevent too much bitterness. The appearance is almost muddy, with a deep orange murkiness and a finger of head. Nice lacing sustains throughout. The smell is primarily of mangoes, and some pine and other citrus. Taste is actually hop forward, but as you swallow the mango coats the mouth and sticks. So the first sip is the hoppiest, and the rest build the mango.

Besides the great taste, it has a solid carbonation and a medium body, but eventually the mango overwhelms - almost to the point where you don't want to repeat it too quickly. That's about the only knock on drinkability. This one is high up there on the charts.

Plus I'm sure there's some vitamin C in it for your ... health. (991 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Extremely cloudy mango to burnt umber appearance with an attractive 2 finger khaki crown that displays little retention and lace.

Smell: Loads of mango over a subtle pine sap note.

Taste: Much like the nose with citrus fruit dominating the front, a bit of malt in the background, and a short appearance of some hop bitterness in the finish. Doesn't jive all too well for me although it does have a level of complexity to it that is above and beyond standard Masala Mama.

Mouthfeel: A fairly creamy medium body with way too little carbonation. UPDATE: The second and third pour from the growler was a bit more lively so I've increased my original score of 2.5 to 3.5

Drinkability: Goes down easy.

I'm fairly certain this one was filled about a week ago so maybe that factored into my review (although the cap says consume by 11/9/10 on it). Upon the first few sips, the IPA quality of this brew was mutilated by the mango. Eventually though I started picking up both qualities and thought that they went together fairly well. The mouthfeel is pretty bad though. (1,079 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times over the years. I finally sat down and wrote some notes this time.

A: Orange to ruby red. Deep amber hues. Looks lovely and seductive in the 10 oz snifter.

S: Mango hits you at first. Beautiful fruitiness and sweetness. The hops add more elements of tropical fruits with a hint of passion fruit and pineapple. Some hint of pine as well. Lots of citrus in the end with orange and tangerine.

T: Once again, mango right off the bat with nice fruitiness and even a hint of spiciness. It seemlessly blends with the citrus and tropical fruits from the hops. Pleasant sweetness in the body is added from both the mango and the malts. More of a honey sweetness rather than caramel. The bitterness is there, but not as strong as in the standard Masala Mama IPA. Very well balanced fruity sweetness with hoppy bitterness. Not overly sweet like some fruit beers.

M: Medium bodied. Clean and crisp. Not syrupy like some fruit beers. Finishes nice and dry. A little sticky from the hops but fits in well.

D: This is a damn fine beer. A great after-dinner choice. The amazing aspect is how well the mango blends with thehops. The malt backbone fits in nice and the beer isn't too heavy or syrupy. I wish I could get this more often. (1,253 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Many many many many thanks to dontcostnuthin for sharing this with me. I owe you one John!

A- Pours a murky orangish brown color. Almost looks like fresh made apple cider. Half finger off white head that caps the beer. Spotty lacing with some streaks on the sides of the glass.

S- When I first opened the growler all I could smell was mango. To be honest it made my mouth water. After pouring it I took another sniff. Tons of fresh mango aroma. This dominates the nose to be honest. There is also some citrus hops and light spicey hop to this that balances it out a little bit. Mostly still mango aroma though.

T- Mango is the first flavor I taste and it comes through bursting. Directly after this there is a light bitter hop bite. The middle of the beer has light malt character without actually being overly so if that makes sense. There is another light mango burst with some spicey hops in the ending. The alcohol in this is faint and all in the back.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little lacking but I forgive because of my way I got the beer. Mango was left on the palate along with more mango and light alcohol in the aftertaste. Flavor was mango forward yet balanced by the malts and hops. Medium alcohol drying on the palate. Clean tasting overall.

D- This beer is incredible to me. I love fresh fruits and this one delivers on the flavor without the artifical off flavors of other fruit beers. The ABV is low enough that a growler or many pints of this is something that can be done. This is my second beer from Minneapolis Town Hall and to be honest I think they know what they are doing...and doing it good. (1,636 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a semi clear light copper color. It smells sweet and tart. The server told me it was the Masala Mama IPA infused with mangos. I think it made the Masala Mama taste a lot better. The taste is much sweeter and more tart than the regular IPA, you can really taste the fruit addition, but it has a nice was of mellowing out the bitterness. It smells and tastes grapfruity a bit like a hopslam. (395 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

Into a tulip glass, looks just like the Masala Mama, but without any head or lacing, and I couldn't twirl much into existence. The aroma was a bit tame, but a lovely fruity blend of hops and the infused mango. With a name like Mango Mama, I'd have expected this to go a little over the top with the fruit, and thankfully it didn't. It still is basically the same Masala everyone knows and loves, with a gentle touch of the mango fruit to sweeten it up a bit. A great idea, the perfect fruit for this. lovely. (508 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

I had this one on tap at the Town Hall brewpub on 5/11/2009 (part of an epic beer trip with BA roadhouse).

A= This ale poured a mostly clear orange color with a 1/2" white head. The head dropped to a thin skim and didn't leave much lacing behind. Moderate carbonation release evident.

S= This ale smelled like the regular Masala Mama but with a nice tropical fruity sweetness to balance some of the piney hops. The mango fruit really brought out the nuances of the graprefruity hop aromas too.

T= Malt sweetness started and disappeared into a sofy cloud of sweet mango. The hops then crashed over that but never really made it disappear. I think mango was the perfect fruit to use here as it provided a soft even sweetness that never became cloying. Finish was bitter and dry.

MF= Medium bodied with a fairly soft varbonation level.

D= Very good fruit/hop ale here. Comparing it to the regular Masala, I have to say this was the better and certainly more interesting of the two, showing some subtlety and balance instead of just a piney hop hammer. (1,056 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

One of the most surprising gifts to behold, along with a note demanding immediate consumption. Thank you my good sir!

The 2/3 fill popped open gleefully, spewing forth with ecstasy, spilling mangonic contents on the countertop. No worry. A few ounces lost and the rest shared lovingly.

A light orange color, billowing white clouds above. The smell takes me back to a place I've never been. To a land of mango lollipops on the banks of the river of hops. A light spring rain falls. Frolicking abounds. We climb evergreen grapefruit trees. With a single swirl of the glass, the mango lunges into my nose, followed by grapefruit and a hint of linalool. There is a hint of malt sweetness that blends perfectly with the mango.

The flavor is so smooth, mango lies gently to me, tells me it loves me. I know not what to believe. Surely, I feel strongly too. Then the malt comes soothingly over top of the mango, followed by waves of citrus and floral hops, perhaps a touch of pineyness.

Outstanding, so smooth, so easy, pretty big hops, perfectly balanced, warranting a trip someday. Indeed. Thanks again for taking the time.. (1,123 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +2.8%

Huge thanks (as always) to maximum12 for passing a growler of this treat along to me. Maximum12 would be on the Mount Rushmore of traders if ever there was such a thing. Cracked this open during Joe Pa's 400th victory game against Northwestern.

A - Pours a cloudy yellow orange with a white head that quickly runs away. To me, it looks a little like a Saison on pour. Murky and somewhat cloudy.

S - For me the best part of the beer. A rich luscious smell of mango, grapefruit, and other fruits feel like I should be sitting in the El San Juan as opposed to sitting on my couch. Really delightful and I could have smelled this all day if it was not so disturbing that I had my nose buried in my glass for as long as I did. I can't think of how they could make this more appealing.

T - Probably a 4.25 for me if there could be such a thing. The mango comes through wonderfully, a little sweet. At this point though, the sweetness meets up on the corner with a blast of tartness/bitterness staying at least partly true to style instead of merely being a mango puree.

M - Pretty rich. Not a whole lot of carbonation here so you get a pretty nice richness.

D - Really very nice. I am not the biggest IPA fan but how could I have turned this one down. Arguing with maximum12 is a futile exercise in its own, so I took one for the team and polished off the growler.

I am really glad I got the chance to try this one and would certainly like to do so again. Let me put it this way, I would say that this was about the 4th best beer that I received in the box from Corey. That guy should be in tghe BA Hall of Fame. (1,613 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

On tap at the brewpub. Poured into a 10 oz. goblet glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and slightly hazy amber orange with a little ruby red. Moderate amount of bubbles. Decent two fingers of off white head that slowly fade into a thin layer. Good amount of lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: Huge vibrant aroma of citrus and tropical fruits. Big hints of mango, grapefruit, pineapple, and oranges. Hints of honey and a little candied sugar. Also some bready malts in the background. Smells fairly sweet and very citrusy on the nose.

Taste: A very citrus forward and fairly sweet taste. Good taste of mango, oranges, pineapple, grapefruit, and even some honeydew. Also some hints of sugar and a little honey. Some bready caramel malts and earthy hops linger in the background. Lots of fresh citrus although the bitterness is fairly light for such a big citrus forward IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Very creamy and somewhat sticky. Sweet but finishes somewhat dry. Very smooth.

Overall: A very interesting and tasty take on a IPA. Very big fruity taste that achieves a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness. (1,160 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

had on tap in 10 oz goblet at MTHB it pours a peach orange slightly hazy color with 1/3 inch head...the smell is the mango its tropical smelling and sweet i also smell some grapefruit and hop/spice..the taste is super the mango hits you first the it gives way to their delicious marsala ipa which means tasty hops /grapfruit ans sweet/mild malt( MTH flagship imo) this one is so good it is so well balanced highly flavorful and with the infused mango it is just WOW..this is a must try ipa.. the only thing negative is that the 10 oz glass goes down fast and they do not sell in growlers.... this one is highly recommended (622 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Served on-tap at Town Hall. Poured into tulip glass x2.

A - Burnt orange color, thin head with no retention or lacing.

S - Sweet mangos mixed with a light dusting of citrus hops. More mangos then hops, that's for sure. Both of these characteristics meld well together...much better then I was expecting, in fact.

T - Much like the nose, sweet mangos and hop notes. More hoppy bitterness on the palate when compared to the nose. They have combined these two characteristics together perfectly, and it makes for a damn tasty beer. Not too sweet, not too hoppy...juuusssttt right.

M - Light to medium bodied, gentle light carbonation, clean and refreshing. Syrupy finish, but doesn't detract from anything.

D - I wish I lived a lot close to Town Hall. They continue to produce some of the best stuff out there, and this one is at the top of the list for me. Just a stellar beer. (880 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

This beer is out of this world. Up front you get the same fantastic citrus bitterness as in Masala Mama but then a bright mango sweetness sweeps all lingering hop flavor off the tongue for a perfect, even finish. It’s too bad this isn’t one of their permanent offerings. (272 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

I'm sure this is just an oversight, but I can't find the "stone growler" option here...I'm sure they'll put one in soon.

Much thanks to Mike Hoops for this fine gift to the members of the Stone Growler community. I missed this one when it was briefly on tap, and now here it is, free of charge in my own very expensive ceramic vessel.

Hazed, deep amber hue, good, lasting white head, if small.

Aroma is ripe and green, bristly, piney, and sweet. Grapefruit meets papaya bristly and burry, but smooth. Remarkably complex and delightful,,,hops aplenty meets juicy sweet fruity.

Taste: WOW! The mango has taken over and holds court in all areas of the palate, with that pleasing Mama hop profile lying just below. Bright, green, then slightly bitter...a bitter hop/sweet fruit tango.

Delicious stuff, this. Easy-drinking, and bursting with flavor. Medium bodied, lightly bitter finish. No wonder this blew out of the pub in a day or so (it was just one keg, I heard, though).

The fruit infusion madness at Town Hall continues apace, but this isn't crazy, it's all out genius. As if my favorite beer couldn't get any better, here it is! (1,140 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

A huge thanks to mothman for sending me a growler of this.

Shared with raceway40 and SamuelJackson45. Poured into my Delerium Tremens tulip glass.

A: A nice cloudy orange/copper color. A one finger head, with moderate lacing.

S: Simply fantastic. I think i literally spent more time smelling this beer than I did drinking it. The mango is overwhelming, followed by some great citrus notes from the hops.

T: I hate to say but the taste was a little underwhelming after the nose. The aroma of mango is much stronger than the actual flavor of it. Still though, this is a great tasting beer. The mango notes interplay nicely with the citrus flavors from the hops. Fairly sweet.

M: Nice and smooth, with a good level of carbonation.

D: Drinkability is simply through the roof. This is a really tasty beer that I would gladly indulge in again. My second glass, from the end of the growler had some nice little chunky bits of mango in it that added a bit more sweetness. Great stuff. Thanks again Ben. (1,000 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Peach colored with a small but consistent film for head; decent lacing

S: Grapefruit from the hops dominate but the mango creeps in--as does a sweet malty undertone

T: Mango sits amazingly on top of the grainy malts and grapefruity hops but as was evident in the aromas, not all of the pleasant sweetness comes from the mango and hops--there is a pleasant malt backbone

F: Great, even mouth feel

D: So drinkable--I only wish I could enjoy this at home: great beer (470 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Surprised to find this on-tap at the brewpub yesterday.

a - pours a deep golden color, pretty hazy, one-inch ivory head with decent retention and good lacing

s - incredible slightly green fresh mango aroma, like you just cut a mango in half, mixed with some grapefruit hoppiness, slight alcohol note

t - big citrusy bitterness up front with lots of grapefruit and orange, mid-palate and finish are dominated by an amazingly intense mango flavor, like the smell, it taste like just bit into a slightly green and very fresh mango rind and all, lingering bitterness on the finish with only a slight alcohol presence

m - medium-bodied, medium-to-higher carbonation, very active in the mouth, very dry and bitter finish, slight alcohol warming

d - pretty intense bitterness limits drinkability somewhat, I love the flavor, but I could see the big mango flavors getting a bit tiresome after a few glasses

Perhaps the most spot-on fruit flavor I've ever tasted in a beer -- the mango aroma and taste is incredible. It doesn't seem as complex as the regular version due to the intense mango flavors, but it's a damn good variation. (1,129 characters)

Served in 10 oz. wine glass

A: Nice white lace on top. Pretty, cloudy reddish amber gold liquid. A little more head for smell transmission would be nice.
S: Mango, a little band-aid? Citrus hops. Wowzers - Man Candy!
T: Very tart, some green mango, nice sweetness from malt, slight ester covered by mango. Very tasty, very hoppy.
M: Slight heat. Great bitterness.
D: Very nice, I want more but Surly Wet is on tap too and I have to drive! I'd get a growler of Mango Mama if they sold it. (488 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Figured I'd get the double tick on this one. Growler brought back from the brewery three days ago. This will give me the opportunity to see the head anyway. Poured into a pint glass.

2.5 A: Frothy off-white head falls quickly to nothing. Looks more like diarrhea out of a growler for some reason.

4.5 S: Well, there's a ton of mango. Mango! I guess I'm not really that surprised. Pineapple, some grapefruit, and just a touch of neutral maltiness. The fruit covers up anything else that might be there. Just like on-tap.

4.5 T: Damn good and better than Masala. Mango again is strongest flavor, though there's a fairly assertive bitterness. Pineapple, coconut, grapefruit, and noticeable caramel maltiness. Just like on-tap.

4.5 M: Medium body. Maybe a touch more carbonation that desired. Super creamy and smooth. Good here. Just like on-tap.

5.0 D: Very drinkable. Awesome taste and great mouthfeel. Just a great beer that lives up to the hype. Just like on-tap. (968 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 64oz growler into a tasting glass.

The color is a cloudy, is a darker orange than most IPAs with a foamy white head and some nice lacing.

The smell is pretty fruity with some tropical fruit flavors biggest of these is of coarse mango. Some other citrus flavors are present in the nose as well with a big of tangerine flavor.

The taste is pretty darn sweet with the mango flavor giving it a zing. The other citrus fruit flavors backup the sweetness and seem to drop slowly toward the end when the bitterness hits and leaves a tart and bitter aftertaste.

The feel of this beer is pretty smooth. The body is lighter than expected but still has a bit of a kick. It goes down easy and is pretty drinkable. (718 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Great thanks to cam

A - lightly hazy copper body with beautiful fine bubbles and a nice white head

S - nice mango and pungent hops. Good stuff

T - mmm mango. Some groovy hops. Real tasty. Nice and simple but hella tasty

M - medium body and a bit drying. Nice

O - very highly enjoyable. Great beer (301 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Pours a nice, bright orange with some moderate haze and a nice off-white head. Served in what is probably best described as a medium-sized goblet.

S: Very nice hit of mango with pineapple and other tropical fruits coming through. The fruit and the hops roll into one, with some piney and earthy notes hitting behind.

T: Again, this is definitely mango-forward. However, the hops have a much bigger role in the flavor than they did in the nose. The front is all mango, but the finish is dry with piney resin and a bit of dry peppery earthiness. Some malt in the background, but definitely much less so than in regular Masala Mama.

M: Moderate body with a great dryness on the finish.

D: Really, really fantastic all around. Amazed that I finally got to try this. One of the best IPAs I've had in a long time.

EDIT: Just as good in the growler format. Huge thanks to beckel for sending one out to me. (908 characters)

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery