Mango Mama - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Turbid appearance, completely opaque. The head is fleeting, the body, unsurprisingly, is the color of mango flesh.

Tons of mango on the nose. Sweet and tart mango flesh with an herbal, citrusy hop note buried under the fruit. A great nose, I really like the fruit character.

Tastes like bitter mango juice. The fruit flavor is huge, but thankfully more citrusy and lightly tart than sweet. There's maybe a hint of malt, but the mango really obliterates the base beer. Hop flavors are present in the form of citrus and herbs. It finishes similar to Masala Mama; bitter and punchy, but clean. The malt character of Masala Mama is lost here.

This was fairly enjoyable and very easy to drink, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again. When it comes to IPAs, I prefer the fruit flavors to come from hops.

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Growler into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Opaque (i.e., seriously muddy) orange body with a thin, quickly dissipating tan head. Looks like raw mango milk, if such a thing exists. Not something I find terribly appealing.

S: Holy mango, Batman! That's a lot of mango. Seriously, this smells like nothing but pure mango juice. It's crazy, juicy, fresh, and tart, but it isn't an IPA.

T: Starts with mango, and finishes (eventually) with some piney hop bitterness. Maybe even a little malt midway through. Pretty darn tasty, but overwhelming with the mango IMO.

M: Smooth medium body with almost no carbonation. Not terrible for a growler, but not good, either.

D: The mango is great if you like mango; I'm not that crazy about it, so its total dominance is a bit of a drinkability liability.

Notes: Huge thanks to the generous BA who brought this to the post-NotF tasting. This is one of those beers that I was super eager to try, but didn't know what to expect. While I enjoyed regular Masala Mama both times I had it (both from a traded growler and on cask at the brewpub), I've never found it to be the transcendent beer that some make it out to be. Mango Mama impresses me significantly less. Sure, the addition of tons of mango makes a beer taste like mango. It also, in this case, destroyed the balance and complexity that the beer originally possessed. Not worth it, if you ask me.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Many thanks to Dyan for sharing this the other day.

Mango mama is not a particularly attractive beer, pouring a hazy, murky, light amber brown color with at best fair head retention and minimal lacing. The beer doesn't look like much, but then I took my first sniff. My oh my, mango mama is right on the mark for describing this beer. I get a huge aroma of mango, orange citrus, peach, apricot and yet more mango. I can imagine it would be a bummer of the first order if someone who doesn't like mangos ordered this beer, but as I do... suffice it to say, I thought this beer smelled pretty incredible. On the palate.... hmmmm... well, to no great surprise there is plenty of sweet mango flavor, but then the orange citrus, grapefruit rind and hoppy bitterness come on strong. I guess the beer is "as advertised," but I'm not convinced that the mango flavor works all that well with the normal, masala mama flavor profile. It's still pretty tasty, but for my money, I prefer the regular version to the mango version. On the other hand, I do apprecaite how the hoppy bitterness counters and otherwise keeps in check the sweet tropical fruit flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, hoppy, fairly dry finish. Drinkability isn't bad, with the alcohol barely noticeable.

An interesting effort, and certainly not a bad beer, but for me, I believe I'll stick to the regular IPA version of this beer.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

scoobydank sent me a growler of this. Thanks, Bill!

This just might be the ugliest beer I've seen this year. Ugly, murky, hazy, swamp-water orange with a dense, off-white head that recedes quickly, leaving no lace, this is rather poor. As for the nose - mangoes, you say? Plenty of that, with very ripe mango character present, along with a little citrus and grapefruit zest. A little spicy too, this almost smells like a holiday candle.

The palate opens moderately bitter with a big, BIG mango flavor, mildly spicy and quite citrus-like with orange and grapefruit. Bitterness is moderate to high and the finish is fruity with mango and some astringency. The mid-palate is super-fruity with the mango really coming through. Malt sweetness is light, with the caramel washed out by the mango. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, the finish is bitter and bruising. I enjoyed about a pint and a half, but this isn't the most drinkable beer out there. Thanks again, Bill!

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

Growler opened at Stone at the Firestone Walker 14 release party during San Diego Beer Week.

A: Pours ruddy, hazy, dirty dark orange with a fizzy, bubbly, tiny head. Not the most attractive beer.

S: Well, it smells like mangos, and mangos smell great. I have the word mangos written here 5 times, so I figured I'd get that part out of the way. There's a little orange, and maybe some grapefruit, but it really just smells like hoppy mango juice.

T: It tastes of moderately bitter mangos with a dash of sweet malt. Again, I get some orange, but there's so much mango I can't be sure. Pretty delicious.

M: Medium bodied, with the fruit giving this a fleshy, almost pulpy mouthfeel. Carbonation is low.

Overall: This was a delicious mango IPA. A perfect session, beer, probably the sort that they drank back in England in pubs while traveling to India on sea galleys (this is how it happened).

4.41/5  rDev +3%

Huge thanks (as always) to maximum12 for passing a growler of this treat along to me. Maximum12 would be on the Mount Rushmore of traders if ever there was such a thing. Cracked this open during Joe Pa's 400th victory game against Northwestern.

A - Pours a cloudy yellow orange with a white head that quickly runs away. To me, it looks a little like a Saison on pour. Murky and somewhat cloudy.

S - For me the best part of the beer. A rich luscious smell of mango, grapefruit, and other fruits feel like I should be sitting in the El San Juan as opposed to sitting on my couch. Really delightful and I could have smelled this all day if it was not so disturbing that I had my nose buried in my glass for as long as I did. I can't think of how they could make this more appealing.

T - Probably a 4.25 for me if there could be such a thing. The mango comes through wonderfully, a little sweet. At this point though, the sweetness meets up on the corner with a blast of tartness/bitterness staying at least partly true to style instead of merely being a mango puree.

M - Pretty rich. Not a whole lot of carbonation here so you get a pretty nice richness.

D - Really very nice. I am not the biggest IPA fan but how could I have turned this one down. Arguing with maximum12 is a futile exercise in its own, so I took one for the team and polished off the growler.

I am really glad I got the chance to try this one and would certainly like to do so again. Let me put it this way, I would say that this was about the 4th best beer that I received in the box from Corey. That guy should be in tghe BA Hall of Fame.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Growler shared by alfrantzell. Thanks, Arne, for this elusive tick.

Pours a murky orangish-amber color with a large whitish head that fades quickly. Looks sort of like crap, but for what it is it's fine.

The aroma is big floral, citrusy, and herbal hops and HUGE mango. Mango juice in yo' face!

The flavor is dominated by mango juice. Besides that there is sweet malt and herbal tea-like hop notes.

Medium-bodied with carbonation on the lower side and a slightly resinous mouthfeel.

Good stuff overall. A beer like none other I've had before, and pretty easy to drink.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Thanks to a very generous trader for finally hooking me up with this growler. This, along with Dark Lord and Kate the Great, was one of the first three beers I put on my "wants" list. This will be a day long remembered.

Pours a turbid, hazy orange. Light can't penetrate it. It's pretty much entirely opaque. Hmm...sediment city. Still, a nice robust white foam head.

Smells like rich succulent mango, along with papaya (???) and grapefruit along with a rich MANGO MANGO MANGO. I need to add that I love mango. One of my favorite fruits.

The tropical mango, papaya, white sweet grapefruit, a bit of bitterness lacing on the tongue, with an absolutely perfectly carbonated lasting tropical bitter bite. It's really a remarkable melding of an uber fruit base with a bitter, grapefruit IPA.

A superlative achievement.

3.11/5  rDev -27.3%

On draught at the brewery, Mango Mama is turbid, dull orange with small, big bubbled skim that quickly dissipates, leaving a flat, thick looking beer that is most unappealing.

Smell is really sweet and sugary - this smells like mango juice, not beer. If I dig, the hops are definately there, but I doubt I would have picked up on them in a blind sniff test.

Taste is weird - every sip, my first reaction is "oh no, that's bad"...but then the finish isn't so bad, and I'm left confused! Something about the cigar box quality of the hop spice with the fruit isn't really working for me, but individual parts are fine. Not as hoppy as the regular Masala Mama I had right before, it's still got some resiny spice, and then the fruit taste literally like fruit juice - did they just dump mango juice into the secondary? Something about this reminds me of drinking incense, and I'm much too old to be lighting bong hits with a stick of nag champa...

Mouthfeel is very dry, with a medium-light body.

Drinkability isn't too high. While I warmed up to it, I never really got into it, and would definitely not get it again. While the base IPA is not the best in the world, it's solid, and much better then this radler style version....

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Extremely cloudy mango to burnt umber appearance with an attractive 2 finger khaki crown that displays little retention and lace.

Smell: Loads of mango over a subtle pine sap note.

Taste: Much like the nose with citrus fruit dominating the front, a bit of malt in the background, and a short appearance of some hop bitterness in the finish. Doesn't jive all too well for me although it does have a level of complexity to it that is above and beyond standard Masala Mama.

Mouthfeel: A fairly creamy medium body with way too little carbonation. UPDATE: The second and third pour from the growler was a bit more lively so I've increased my original score of 2.5 to 3.5

Drinkability: Goes down easy.

I'm fairly certain this one was filled about a week ago so maybe that factored into my review (although the cap says consume by 11/9/10 on it). Upon the first few sips, the IPA quality of this brew was mutilated by the mango. Eventually though I started picking up both qualities and thought that they went together fairly well. The mouthfeel is pretty bad though.

3.87/5  rDev -9.6%

Big thanks to SourNote for the chance to try this one!

A-pours a dirty murky looking very dark amber with a thin bubbly tan head.

S-notes of caramel malts are front with touches of sappy pine behind. hints of a plastic like phenol very subtle as you transition to the juicy tropical fruit blast that takes over. Mango and appricot with a juicy pine in there as well.

T-the taste follows the nose to a T. Light malt presence to keep balance up front, hints of bread and caramel, still a light plastic like phenol light in there, mango not quite as juicy in the flavor but still quite so with some dried appricot and pine sapp. The bitterness is very light in the finish.

M-medium syrupy body, a little thin in the finish and could use a little more carbonation.

D-this is extremely drinkable, very juicy and tasty! A few slight issues with a touch of plastic in there and a thinner body. The light bitterness keeps it inviting but still lets you know its an ipa.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally get to try this one. Poured from a growler into my Southern tier tulip glass. It looked pretty much like apple cider in my glass, brown and murky. At least if any of the trick or treaters ask tonight it will pass for cider. It poured with very little head and what was there completely disappeared in a minute or so. It's hard to rate this one's appearance, as a traditional American IPA it would score pretty bad on looks. It's not very traditional though and having regular Masala Mama I'm sure the mangos have a lot to do with the look. I'm going to cut it some slack in this category and say it's average for fruit addition beers, which is probably still generous.

The mangos really come through in the aroma. They give it a bright, juicy, fruity, tropical citrusness that just adds to the citrus hoppiness already present. A little bit of grapefruit and pine come out in it as well. Pretty good hoppiness overall, and the mangos really add some cool flavors to it.

The taste really shows off the mangos too. Like the nose they add a brighter, citrusy and fruity element with more tropical fruit flavors coming through. It also has a pretty big grapefruit bitterness coming through with some pine to it as well. I'm getting a bit of a peppery like spice to it as well towards the finish. The finish shows more of the juicy mango fruit lingering for a bit. Very nice flavors to it overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it had some very nice hoppy and fruity flavors to it. The mangos went pretty well with the hoppiness overall and seemed to add some nice tropical citrus and fruity flavors to an already excellent beer. Cool beer overall and a pretty good beer overall. Glad I had the chance to finally try it.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

At last, growlers!

In a tulip, looks exactly like apple cider. Reddish brown color, opaque and no head at all. No lacing.

Citrusy hops with mango and cider notes. Not real strong overall.

Big pine and citrus hop presence with a large dose of fresh mango. Apple cider sweetness with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

Medium bodied and smooth with adequate carbonation.

Drinks beautifully. I could suck down a whole growler myself. This is easily my favorite IPA in the world, but I will say it is slightly better on tap. Still happy as a clam that I could have it at home.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on tap 10/25 and 10/26 at Town Hall.

Appearance was pretty unusual for an IPA - cloudy orange/brown, similar to orange juice mixed with berry juice. Almost no head on either glass I had.

Mango smell jumped out at me before I touched the glass. With some effort, I could pick out some citrus in the aroma, but the big fruity smell overpowers just about everything else.

Flavor starts out heavy on the sweet mango. There's also plenty of citrus, especially tangerine. Bitterness picks up over the course of the beer and then the fruit seems to attenuate the hops to result that the finish is moderate in length, and unusually clean with just a little fruit.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy, but should be expected considering a significant amount of fruit was used in the beer. Carbonation is light enough to suit thicker body.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty fine beer. Would have rated it a bit higher, but got a touch of "plastic" in the flavor both days I had this. Not sure what I was tasting, but I suspect I may not have had the best version of this beer. Love the combination and will look for again.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap. Poured into a Town Hall pint glass. Pours a slightly hazed and murky amber orange color with a 1 finger off white head which settles rather quickly. Fruity aroma, duh right?, with citrus type hops aroma. Sweet mango flavor upfront follows by a nice citrus hops type bitterness. Loads of citrus rind bitterness. Medium mouthfeel. Surprised at the lackluster head and poor lacing as I don't recall previous batches being as such, perhaps making a full batch vs. 1 keg at a time has something to do with it or the fact they had to use pasteurized mango puree vs. mango chunks . Really drinkable though. As I have had this several times I feel the quality wavers a little bit between batches. This time the carbonation was less than before probably due to my aformentioned reasons. Still, this is an awesome brew that drinks really easily and tastes great.

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%

Mango Mama on-tap at the Town Hall 10-25-2010. Poured into a pint glass:

A - A cloudy, foggy, murky slightly pumpkin orangish hue. No head (on my first pint) but some head on the second pint. No lacing at all.

S - Fresh mango, pineapple and sweet papaya. Really sweet and tropical. Smells like mixed fruit juice. I like my IPAs fruity smelling rather than over the top bitter, so this is nice for me.

T - Wow! The mangos and ipa bitterness go really well together. Kinda bitter sweet. Other flavors of pine and pineapple, bits of apple and other delicious fruits.

M - I feel the mixture of the mangos adds a thicker feel and makes it syrupy. Not really carbonated. Silk and smooth.

D - Easy and smooth. It makes me feel if I drank too much I'd get gut rot though. But a nice treat and great to share this rarity at a tasting with some friends.

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

64 oz growler with a best by date of 11/09/10 poured into a Bell's tulip on 10/25/10 (the day of its release!)

Appearance 2/5
Murky orange-brown with a tiny dirty orange head with poor retention and no lacing. Not the looks of a beer, much less of an IPA.

Aroma 2/5
Nose is reminiscent of India, seriously: dry and intensely hot summer afternoons, and mangoes - fresh mangoes, mango juice, mangoes and spice. American IPA? No. For an IPA that has hints of mangoes without smelling like mango juice itself, I'd recommend Bell's Two Hearted.

Taste 3/5
I have to say that taste redeems this beer to a certain extent. There's some sweetness, massive fruitiness from mangoes, and decent bitterness but no hop flavor. Finish is slightly bitter, and quite dry, but not crisp. Carbonation is low which is generally to my liking but not this time.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Soft, with low carbonation, and decent overall, but the finish ruins it.

Drinkability 4/5
Not bad, strangely!

This alcoholic beverage might not be bad but it's not beer. It's overdone in my opinion.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%

Well, much to my surprise I was in MLPS for a release of Mango Mama and their anniversary celebration. I was quite excited to try this treat having loved Mama Masala in the past. Well, sadly, I have to place this near the top of my over-hyped beer list. In my mind it wasn't nearly as good as Mama Masala and had some flaws..

Pint came with NO head and was a cloudy dull amber color. No lacing at all.
Has to score rather low in visual characteristics.

Aroma was fruity with Citrus and tropical fruits including mango. Also a spice note that hinted of black pepper which certainly came in the flavor. More orange vs. traditional grapefruit.

Yep, this is Mango Mama and the mango flavor is right up front. Also there is a lot of black pepper as noted in the aroma. There was a consistent bitterness from front to back that I didn't think played too well with the mango flavor. I will say there is some complexity here and it's interesting.. but in the end, it's just ok.

Very faint carbonation with a tiny prickle on the end of your tongue. A little bit of a dry ending.

Well as I said up front, I was a little let down here. I couldn't wait to finish this and get myself a glass of the standard Mama Masala. Oh well, there truly are over hyped beers.

** I heard that this is the first time they've made a "full size" batch of this beer. Don't know if this is true, but it may have an impact here.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Peach colored with a small but consistent film for head; decent lacing

S: Grapefruit from the hops dominate but the mango creeps in--as does a sweet malty undertone

T: Mango sits amazingly on top of the grainy malts and grapefruity hops but as was evident in the aromas, not all of the pleasant sweetness comes from the mango and hops--there is a pleasant malt backbone

F: Great, even mouth feel

D: So drinkable--I only wish I could enjoy this at home: great beer

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Pours a nice, bright orange with some moderate haze and a nice off-white head. Served in what is probably best described as a medium-sized goblet.

S: Very nice hit of mango with pineapple and other tropical fruits coming through. The fruit and the hops roll into one, with some piney and earthy notes hitting behind.

T: Again, this is definitely mango-forward. However, the hops have a much bigger role in the flavor than they did in the nose. The front is all mango, but the finish is dry with piney resin and a bit of dry peppery earthiness. Some malt in the background, but definitely much less so than in regular Masala Mama.

M: Moderate body with a great dryness on the finish.

D: Really, really fantastic all around. Amazed that I finally got to try this. One of the best IPAs I've had in a long time.

EDIT: Just as good in the growler format. Huge thanks to beckel for sending one out to me.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Got three 10 ounce pours at Town Hall over the weekend. Is 30 ounces enough to tick this one off? Tasted side by side with Masala Mama, this one was slightly better IMO, both very good though.

Beer is orange and hazy and forms a thin broken head or white bubbles (small). Carbonation moderate and steady. Looks good.

Aroma is bitter with some piny hops and a hint of mango. Smells nice.

Beer is medium bodied and a little sweet. Lots of carbonation in the mouth. If you can oxygenate the beer some the mango flavor comes out a lot, very prominent. Otherwise, there is a strong mango flavor in the back palate that competes with the strong bitterness. There is an earthiness to the whole thing that is also very interesting, piny simcoe like hop presence. Very drinkable, very good.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Hazy orange in color. Served in a snifter with a minimal white head. There is little retention and not much in the way of lacing.

S: Mango along with a faint notion of mango's black pepper pungency. Orange blossoms. Floral hops.

T: Sweet mango fruit on the front end that fades to a mild orange/citrus flavor then to a mild bitterness. Pungent pepper sticks to the tongue.

M: Medium with appropriate carbonation. A little lighter in body than Masala Mama.

D: Very good. I'm not a huge fan of sweet IPA's, but the sweetness complements the mango, while the mango still offers some complex peppery notes. It all seems to work very well for this beer; one which I found superior to Masala Mama.

Of note, Town Hall refused to sell me a growler of this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

One of the most surprising gifts to behold, along with a note demanding immediate consumption. Thank you my good sir!

The 2/3 fill popped open gleefully, spewing forth with ecstasy, spilling mangonic contents on the countertop. No worry. A few ounces lost and the rest shared lovingly.

A light orange color, billowing white clouds above. The smell takes me back to a place I've never been. To a land of mango lollipops on the banks of the river of hops. A light spring rain falls. Frolicking abounds. We climb evergreen grapefruit trees. With a single swirl of the glass, the mango lunges into my nose, followed by grapefruit and a hint of linalool. There is a hint of malt sweetness that blends perfectly with the mango.

The flavor is so smooth, mango lies gently to me, tells me it loves me. I know not what to believe. Surely, I feel strongly too. Then the malt comes soothingly over top of the mango, followed by waves of citrus and floral hops, perhaps a touch of pineyness.

Outstanding, so smooth, so easy, pretty big hops, perfectly balanced, warranting a trip someday. Indeed. Thanks again for taking the time..

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

11/17/10 again at Town Hall. Way more mango this batch. Went from mango infused IPA to IPA infused mango juice. Still good, but not 5.0 good like the first time I had it. Batch variation for sure. I'll just have to keep going back.

Had another batch in May, just not dialed in . The mango was was more tart, almost artificial flavoring, not rich and ripe. I enjoyed the regular masala mama better, actually. Unfortunately, time to downgrade the score, so my one perfect 5 beer is no more.

I'm still hopeful the IPA reviewed below will show up with future batches.

Walked into Town Hall, finally there with Mango Mama on tap; always seemed to miss it in the past. (a pint of Masala Mama has often provided me some consolation.) Bartender poured me a glass in a 10oz. clear goblet. Looked like an IPA, bit of haze, nice white head, yellow/orange.

Smells were classic fresh IPA, with more tropical fruit than usual. Inviting. I was thirsty, and the anticipation grew fast. I sipped....

Mango exploded forward on the tongue, but didn't dominate or overstay its welcome. Juicy citrus and pine hops then quickly took the baton and ran, then handed things off to a balancing bitterness that rounded things out beautifully.
Very unique.

The mouthfeel was crisp and clean, with just enough body to provide structure for the symphony of flavors that unfolded with each sip. Wonderfully fresh and juicy, not syrupy or overly sweet.

I had the bartender get me another and soon found myself lost in a daydream. I then realized this was the best IPA I had ever had.

What a delightful beer.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Thrilled to finally have been able to sample this one, I think this is easily one of my top five most sought after. Lovely pint, served cold and proudly enjoyed.

Rich golden amber pour, lots of highlights of yellow and bright orange hints throughout. A light cloudiness lays in it as a three finger head of white comes up and over the top of the glass. Rich lacing down the sides yields a wonderfully complete look that is simply stunning. Aroma is huge, rich citrus notes that are dominated by a stunningly fresh fruit juice aroma. Rich mangos, , ripe grapefruit and a wonderful fresh, hop aroma. So rich and fresh, I could have drank this for breakfast everyday and been happy. Each sip brought even more complex and stunningly wonderful flavors. Rich mango, orange, grapefruit, no hint of any malt balance here, just straight up hop juice mixed with tropical fruit that is balanced perfectly. so drinkable I could have had a gallon and a half of this one.

Amazing beer. One of the best, if not the best single ipa i have had in years. Worth every ounce of angst I have had to try it.

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery