SpringFest - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 03-02-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
feloniousmonk

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I'm taking a wild guess at the style on this one, as it's really an enigma of a beer. It appeared at the pub without any notice, and when I asked about it, a server could only say "it's a maltier IPA." I think that's not far off. The website says this: "All the ingredients of spring....Lighter in color than most winter beers, lighter in malt than most winter beers, but still very crisp noticable hops...much like that first spring breeze."
More mysterious. Of course, we're far from a spring breeze, but obviously not intended to any style, so my guess is as good as any. But, let's have at it, any way...

Hazy, light brown color, nice cocoa-tan head, slim, but steady...

Hoppy aroma, mixed with caramel malt. Green and brown.

Taste: here's where it counts. Smooth, malty, hoppy, delicious. Easy-drinking, full flavored, long finish, full bodied, but never obtrusive, never too this or too that. Sweet, sweet, dark, tasty malt, with a brace of hop bitterness dancing a dervish on the tongue as well. Great mix of flavors. Dark, malty, hoppy, damned delicious.

This is something else. I love that it fits no category I can think of, and I'm probably way off base in the designation, but if you can come up with a better one, go for it!
I can't stop drinking this beer, though, it's light enough to keeping passing by the lips, and hoppy enough to keep my tongue happy, and malty enough to keep the other part of my tongue occupied .... Reminds me of an India Brown, but with a different malt profile. Plainly put, it's like chocolate meets hops.

Very drinkable, even sessionable, with so much flavor...not too light, not too light...love it!

03-02-2008 10:27:37 | More by feloniousmonk
tempest

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Grabbed a pint at a Friday happy hour and it really hit the spot. It came off a bit like an ESB made with a strong helping of American hops. The malts ares very toasty and biscuity, coming off very British in character to me, not like your traditional amber ale. The hops provide a great balance with big citrus and grapefruit flavors and a nice long bitter aftertaste. This was really a great beer. It was something a little different and had a lot of flavor to it. Thank you Town Hall for another kick ass seasonal.

03-29-2008 18:27:49 | More by tempest
Bighuge

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazed scarlet red. Very slight head. Lace is spotty and sporadic. Nicely balanced aroma. I notice the citric, pine, mango like aroma first. But right around the corner is caramel, toffee and sweet malt tones. Upon first taste, this reminds me of an alt in a way. It has that nice rounded sweet base of nougat and caramel but also quite a pronounced hoppiness, a West Coast kind of hoppiness with the citrus and pine. So to me, it tastes like a unique alt....maybe say a PAC10 Alt or California Alt. In any case, it's quite enjoyable. The slightly viscous bodied beer flows pretty effortlessly. A grassy bitterness lingers and leaves me thirsting for more.

03-06-2008 02:24:38 | More by Bighuge
brewdoc75

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

I hadn't been to Town Hall in a few months and wanted to try the Dortmunder Export. I decided to grab a growler of this on my way out.

The beer pours nice and smooth out of the growler. It is a unique tawny/red to brown color w/ a soft silky head. Good carbonation out of the growler. I found the aroma quite pleasant with piney hops and a citrus background. You can definitely smell the malts, with a nice fruity sweetness. The flavor of this brew is pretty damn good. Definitely unique in my book. First you get a nice hoppy attack w/ strong pine and citrus flavors. This is followed by the smooth toffee and caramel flavored malts. There is a subtle, lingering fruitiness throughout as well. Definitely a bit more on the sweet side. The mouthfeel is soft and smooth. It does however have a nice crisp finish. I would call this a medium bodied beer.

Overall, another solid choice from Town Hall. I have not yet had a bad beer from this brewery. This is a must have for the hop lover. It will also please those who prefer maliter beers. Not necessarily a beer I would want year round, but perfect for right now.

03-07-2008 20:53:08 | More by brewdoc75
SpringFest from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.