Russian Roulette - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.30% ABV

(Beer added by: rye726 on 10-25-2008)
Reviews by kawilliams81:

kawilliams81, Aug 21, 2013

Schlais, May 15, 2013

ryancl, Sep 30, 2013

bpfrush, Aug 11, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap @ GTOM

Three times I went back for pours of this amazing, best in show, stout. Pours a lush black with a huge chocolate, foamy head.

Lots of chocolate, candy, toffee, molasses... sweet! The taste is just amazing and completely out of left field. This goes down in a flash. I wish I could pick out more of the individual notes and subtleties, but on a day in which I sampled a dozen stouts, this was by far the most memorable. Awesome stuff!

rudylaw, Aug 09, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

striker2160, May 30, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -22.4%

acurtis, Oct 14, 2013

roostor07, Sep 29, 2013
4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Very dark black with a long lasting tan head that slowly settled to a thin cap. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma is full of chocolate and dark malt aromas. Not terribly complex but cannot really get to indepth at the bar.

Impressive flavor for chocolate and malt flavors. A little roast and licorice. Notes of vanilla as well. Some alcohol is detected in the flavor. Excellent big stout flavors.

Big body and smoothly carbonated. Wonderful texture.

Sort of reminds me of Expedition Stout that is not nearly as hot. Town Hall should always have one of their wonderful RIS on-tap all the time. They do them very well.

morimech, May 25, 2013

Hopsiam14, Aug 21, 2013

Curt1, May 20, 2013

SalukiAlum, Oct 15, 2012

dgian13, Nov 23, 2011

CCutch, May 29, 2013

Thanks to Alex for the growler share. Tasted on 8/20/11

A - jet black, thick, oily with a smattering of bubbles from the pour.

S - Delicious chocolate fills the tulip, but that's about it. I'd normally knock a beer for being so one note, but the chocolate nose was just incredible. As it warmed in my glass, it opened up to a little bit of caramel and fig, but the chocolate dominates.

T - Sweet, sweet sweet. But this is how I like my RIS. Interestingly, there was little roast on the nose, but there is a subtle bitterness to finish the beer. Still left a creamy sweetness, but not cloying in the least.

M - Light carb, very full-bodied and incredibly creamy. No alcohol detected whatsoever. Just fantastic.

O - Best chocolate bomb I've had. Lacks the complexity of some other world class RISes, but for what it attempts to be, it is a big big winner. Had multiple tastes throughout the night and this was one of the highlights for me.

ChrisPro, Aug 29, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -28.4%

I know this beer gets a lot of love around here, but it doesnt do it for me.

It looks like a RIS should. Nice and black, not much head.

It smells good, the usual dark fruits, coffee, roast malt, booze.

The taste however was far too sweet for my liking. The overall flavor is good, but I couldnt take the sweetness and thick body as a result of that residual sugar. I like imperial stouts in general, but this didnt do it for me.

Mouth feel was thick, not in a good way. I like thick beers (KBS, BCBS, BA9k ect), but this was too much for me. I think it is because the sugar seems to create the thickness in this beer as opposed to a ton of malt like some others.

Overall I actually hate to say I didnt really like this. I know a ton of people love it and Town Hall nails their beers consistently, but this one isnt for me. That said, I suggest you try it, because I am in the minority with this opinion, and odds would say that you'll love it!

MCImes, Oct 03, 2013

Anonymous1, Aug 12, 2013
4.54/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into tulip.

A. Black. Half inch dark brown foam that fades fast. Pencil thin lacing remains down the glass.

S. Vanilla. Toasted malts. Cream. Chocolate.

T. Mimics smell at first. Like a vanilla milkshake. Followed by a hit of dark chocolate. Big blast of coffee in the end.

M Full. As mentioned, like a milkshake. Creamy. Thick as hell but really smooth.

O Awesome Imperial stout. Not boozy. Smooth, layered and complex, delicious. One of the best of the style I've ever had.

PieOhMy, May 16, 2013

jarrgal, Jul 14, 2013

cofeeguru, Feb 20, 2013
4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to Alex for hooking up the growler share.

A - Black beer, bit of a brown head that settled down to a nice ring.

S - Big chocolate, nice roast, little bit of nutty smell, some vanilla. The chocolate is quite decadent and rich, not real subtle, but smells very appealing.

T - Big, sweet chocolate. There's some vanilla, a bit of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, and just a touch of oak.

M - Creamy, lower carbonation, full bodied.

O - Really good beer for something with this much chocolate. I'm not usually a fan of the sweet stuff but this was a nice beer. The addition of the chocolate was a nice plus to something that was already quite good.

AgentZero, Aug 24, 2011