Simcoe Double India Brown Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: maximum12 on 07-17-2009)

On-tap at the brewpub. Very interesting and tasty beer. The malts provide a chocolate bread crust that still comes through under the spicy pineapple Simcoe hops. Pretty drinkable and a great change of pace - from everything really. I'm also impressed that despite the big hops and bitterness, these tasty malts are able to shine, not just provide a sweet backbone. Very well-made beer here.

tempest, Jul 22, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Served in a pint glass.

Pours a 1 finger slight tan head. Decent retention leaving great lace. Color is a dark caramel brown. Not opaque but kind of close.

Aroma: I am liking the simcoe hops. Some caramel and chocolate. Just like the name suggests, it is and hoppy, but yet brown.

Taste: A lot similar to the smell, but a lot more hops here. Some booze and caramel, but a ton of hops. 4

Mouthfeel, very bitter and boozy. Medium to full bodied. Good amount of carbonation. Ends with a super hoppy aftertaste.

Overall, this is a decent beer. Not something I'll have a lot of, but still decent. I wish it had more of the brown taste and a little less the ipa hoppness going on. 3.5

mothman, Jul 24, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Consumed on-tap at Town Hall along with a luscious Mango Chicken Sandwich.

Frankly, when the newsletter came out with the announcement of the released of a Double Simcoe India Brown, T.H. had me at Simcoe. Easily my favorite hop, & anything with twice as much is bound to be good. And with a mixed genre? I'm on my way.

Looked much more red than a traditional brown, whether due to the hopping, malts, or some other wizardry by the magicians at Town Hall, who knows. The smell was pure, unadulterated Simcoe hops, which seemed odd coming out of a dark beer, but I didn't hear my wife complaining either.

This one washed all my cares away. The interplay of the aggressive hopping with the mild malts of a brown made for a smooth, easy-drinking brew with a chewy bite of an afterthought when the hops kicked in. Luscious. That's a word you don't see enough to describe a beer, but that's exactly what this one is. The balance of the styles is pulled off to near-perfection. Easily something I could sit out on the Hall's patio & sip for hours before staggering off to the horrific Dome to see my Twins play.

Excellent beer in Town Hall's "single hop" series, & looking forward to the next one already.

maximum12, Jul 17, 2009

FreshmanPour77, Nov 28, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Met up with a couple local BA's at Town Hall, ordered this with a Black and Blue Burger.

Served in a standard pint glass, this was a ruby-brown colored brew with a slightly off white head. Great retention on the head. All three of us (myself, mothman and justn) ordered one, and all three of ours maintained their head over the course of lunch. Decent layered lacing, and a light carbonation round it out.

The nose is pure Simcoe hops. I think I'm with the guy below me, in that it is far and away my favorite hop. I can definitely see the Simcoe, but being a brown ale, I expected a substantial amount of malt in the nose, which I didn't get. To me, this is more IPA than brown ale, but whatever it is, it's definitely working for me.

In the taste, I finally get a hint of malts. The strong bitterness is actually very balanced in this one. I am honestly shocked at how this is going. This is my first foray into an India Brown Ale, but as a sub style, if this is any indication, I am a huge fan. I love the combination of the darker color and light malt with the aggressive Simcoe hops. Great stuff.

Mouthfeel is great. Smooth and clean. Town Hall just knows there beer, there is no way around it. Drinkability is very high for me in this one. I could throw these back all day if not for the 7% and the $5 per pint price. Although, now that I think about it, $5 is a bargain for this stuff.

To me, this is much closer to an IPA than a brown ale, but I love the combination. Possibly one of my new favorite sub-styles, but I have a strange suspicion that nothing I can find will ever stand up to this. If your near Town Hall and tired of the usual Masala Mama (really, who does though?) definitely give this one a shot.

Mistofminn, Jul 18, 2009
Simcoe Double India Brown Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.