Three Hour Tour - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minnesota, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: jjanega08 on 10-27-2009

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to beckel for sending this growler out my way. Served in a snifter.

Pours nearly-black with a single-finger mocha head that settles down into a nice collar. A touch of lacing on the sides of my glass. The nose brings forward a lot of barrel character and chocolate as well as some chocolate and vanilla. Roasted malt and a bit of sweetness there as well. There is a moderate toasted coconut character in the background, though I couldn't have picked it out without knowing that it was there.

The chocolate and bourbon characteristics come out really well in the flavor. Ultra smooth and tasty. Good notes of vanilla and a bit of roast as well as some light cherry and toasted coconut. Really enjoying this. Very nice feel between the bourbon and a bit of booze. Perfect carbonation level. A really nice brew that grew on me as it warmed up and as I went through a few small glasses. Well done, TH.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sending this my way.

Black and completely impenetrable by light. A hard pour leaves me with a small brown crust on top of the ebony body.

Tons of chocolate and coconut on the nose, this smells exactly like a Mounds bar. There's not much else to say, but it's wonderful.

The palate shows a touch more complexity, though it's still dominated by sweet coconut and milk chocolate. The finish brings flavors of licorice and roasted malt that help balance the initial blast of sweetness, but it's decidedly a dessert beer. That said, it never became cloying, even after several pours.

4.39/5  rDev +0.2%

Served in a Hopleaf tulip glass. Thanks to d0b for sharing.

Black with a glint of ruby in the meniscus. Across the surface there was a smooth swath of creamy tan foam. Spotty lace remnants around the edges.

Very rich toasted coconut aroma. Unlike anything i've inhaled in a beer before. Not overly sweet, just full on authentic toasty coconut.

Distinct coconut meat/milk flavor, lightly toasty, backed by some chocolate milk sweetness. Ultra smooth with the consistency of chocolate milk also. More than a pint would be overindulgence, but one is just right. Well put together, and far more than just a novelty. This was exceptional, despite my hatred for grated coconut in foods (a texture-based hate).

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Enormous thanks for getting a growler of this one into my hands. I brought it over the families house for TDay dinner, Served chilled and poured into pint glasses, this one was consumed on 11/27/2009.

The pour was fantastic, rich dark brown in color with a huge tan head that nearly over topped the sides of the glass, settled down gradually leaving behind lots of sticky lace on the sides. Aroma is dominated by dark chocolate and hints of coconut. Rich and loaded with malty goodness, the warmer it got the sweeter it smelled, but it was when you took that first sip that you fell flat on your ass. Huge flavor here, almost unbeliveable at times, rich chocolate and coconut collide with an almost dark licorice like bite to it and a hint of a coffee like bitterness. It was sublime. Rich and creamy with the coconut sitting back on the tongue just perfectly. I swear this had to be one of the richest beers I have ever come across in my life. Last sips had some light touches of bitterness in them, but roasted coconut rules the day.

Overall this was just simply one of the best beers I have ever had, no question in my mind. I would drink this everyday if I could, it was just perfect.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Stormking47 for sharing this growler at international stout day enjoyed from a pint glass.

The color is opaque black with medium tan cap with densely packed beads, the lace clings very well, and the overall appearance is thick. The smell is like a candy bar made with coconut, the light fruity and nutty tropical scent is very fresh and resembles coconut straight from being toasted in the oven with some nice vanilla accents. The feel is rich, very viscous and slightly sweet with a semi-dry finish and low alcohol in general with moderate carbonation and low roast.

The taste is everything you expect after smelling the coconut after a quick swirl of the glass. There is a nice nutty element and toasty tinges which give a sweet vanilla backing to the coconuts almost floral flavor, very clean and has a moderate level of sweetness to achieve a nice balance. This is more about the coconut than the base stout which is a little lost in all the coconut flavor, but I enjoyed the way it came together and this is definitely a great beer, worth trying if you enjoy coconut.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

From 12/12/10 notes. Poured from a growler into a tulip. Thanks to thorpe429 for sharing this; thanks Mike.

a - Pours a black color with almsot no head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of dark fruits, roasted malts, chocolate, coconuts, and sweet fruits.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, light cococut, fruit, and vanilla.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, pretty smooth.

d - Very easy to drink and a nice milk stout. Not as much coconut as I expected but I liked it. Glad I got to try it and would like to try again sometime.

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Three hour tour. Coconut stout. 5.9% ABV. Stout aged with cocoanut.

Dark brown body, enormous cocoa-toned head, sleek and lovely. Yes.

Aroma: yeah, that's cocoanut, sweet, and cocoa-nutty. Some dark stout-ish flavors lurk below, but it's really all about the cocoanut.

Taste: Mmmm, the cocoanut reigns supreme here, as well, and the stout stands tall beneath. Smooth, creamy, full-bodied, thick, lush and mmm. Slight bitterness, rich cocoanut flavor, with requisite coffee and chocolate flavors.

What's great about this? No holds barred. Doesn't hold back, but neither goes too far. Perfect balance. Not subtle in the cocoanut flavor, delivers it all in just the right amount. Just about perfect. Yu, um.

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

Big thanks to stormking47 for bringing this growler to our Stout Day event.

A - Pours jet black with a two finger tall mocha colored head leaving small spots of lace down the entire glass.

S - Smells of rich coconut, vanilla, chocolate, and caramel. It has a lot going on, but in a good way. This one really does smell like a candy bar.

T - Starts off with a big dose of sweet coconut quickly giving way to a mix of chocolate, vanilla, caramel cream, and almonds. The sweetness is lactic but it never really gets to the point of being overpowering. The finish is pretty sweet, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smooth, creamy, feel with lots of sweetness. The feel really helps to bring this one together.

O - Awesome beer. The sweet milk stout body works well with the coconut and dark roast to form an awesome beer. This is easily the best coconut beer I have ever had.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to d0b for bringing this back from his recent Minneapolis binge. Served in the Sam Adams pint glass.

A - Pours with one finger of tan foam that dissipates to a solid cap and thick ring. Pitch black with maybe the slightest hint of brown at the fringes. Other than head volume this is just about perfect.

S - Holy crap there is a ton of coconut in this stuff. There's also a good amount of roastiness, milk chocolate, and light caramel, nuts, and multigrain, but this is all about roasted coconuts.

T - This taste almost exactly like Bounty chocolate bar. Tons of roasted coconut, malted chocolate, nuts, and lactose sugar. Light bitterness in the aftertaste. Since I love coconuts this is a huge winner for me, but I expect this to be polarizing.

M - Smooth with a touch of carbonation tingle. Medium-thin body that is not offensive for a lower ABV stout, but could be a little heftier. Kind of skim milky, but with a roasty finish.

D - The sweetness gets a little overwhelming, but the thinner texture and great taste make it pretty easy drinking. Still I can feel my pulse quickening from the sugar content, so this is a one pint kind of brew.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Growler at a recent tasting provided by BeerGirl8, thanks!

Beer is dark brown with a halo head that leaves some lacing on the glass, carbonation moderate to low, but I doubt this is because of the growler.

The aroma is sweet, with chocolate, malt and I guess some coconut.

I am not a fan of coconut in general so I did not know what I was going to get out of this beer...disappointment? Maybe...fortunately for me I got very little coconut out of this beer, in fact I had to search for it. Beer is sweet with a medium body, creamy mouthfeel, sweetness comes from the malt, there is some alcohol in the front and finish is mostly roast. The coconut notes are subtle and hidden and could be in the midpalate but I just don't find them. I wouldn't have guessed there was coconut in there in a blind taste test, not at all.

Personal note: At the time of this review this beer is a milk / sweet stout and not on the top sweet stout list due to lack of reviews.

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into Founders snifter.

Pours a caramel brown, but settles black. Pours a small layer of head that fades down.

Aroma: Mounds bar awesomeness. Chocolate, coconuts, pecans, and creamy flavors. It is sweet and creamy. One of the best milk/sweet stouts I have smelled. Simply amazing.

Taste: Again, it is like a liquid mounds bar. Wow, this is amazing. Milky and creamy with chocolate, coconuts, and other nut flavors. A hint of roasted malts. Very sweet and creamy.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth with a touch of roastedness. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little roasted.

Overall, this is one of the most drinkable stouts I have ever had. I am having a hard time putting my glass down. It is incredibly drinkable. One of my new favorites from TH.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Cheers and thanks to Stormking47 for sharing this brew with a number of us. Poured from a growler into a tasting glass. The brew appears black in color with a tan head and patchy lace pattern on the glass. A swirl revives the tan cap back to the surface.

The smell of this brew hits initially with some butterscotch notes and mound candy bars. Milky chocolate sweet goodness with a bounty of coconut quality that is somewht toasted yet raw and flavorful in the nose as well. A sweet scent of chocolate to butterscotch candy fills the profile.

The taste is pretty much the same as the aroma. Very smooth with a tangy touch of alcohol inclusion. Sweet milky chocolate mixes with some butterscotch and the most profound coconut flavoring I have experienced in a beer to date. The sweetness of lactose is noted and perhaps is just slightly overdone but it completely compliments the overall picture of what this brew's flavor is all about.

This is a medium bodied brew with an exceptionally smooth feel. It is lightly carbonated and easy drinking if sweet brews are your thing. There was seemingly no alcohol heat here, just a faint twang of alcohol flavoring. Not really roasted or grainy, this was seriously a beer version of mounds candy bars. If you enjoy that sort of chocolate candy approach to this style, this is an absolute must try. This was one of the more memorable and unique brews I have had in awhile. While it was very enjoyable, I couldn't see myself drinking very much of this before the sweetness got to me. Diabetics beware.

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Dark brown, with a small beige head that hangs out for a while before leaving a nice sheet of lacing on the glass.

S: Toffee, butter, coconuts, roasted malt, chocolate.

T: The beer is incredibly tasty and has greatly exceeded my expectations. I find it hard to believe that I am enjoying a beer brewed with coconuts to this degree. Coconuts and chocolate melded with roasted malt and buttery toffee candies make this a delicious beer. It's the perfect marriage of beer and a gourmet candy bar. The balance and harmony achieved with all of these bold flavors make this a special beer. Wow.

M: Not as sweet as I would have expected, but a bit on the sweet end of the spectrum, nonetheless.

D: Terrific stuff, but probably best enjoyed in small quantities.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a growler into a tasting glass. It poured black in color with a thin tan head scattered across the top of the beer. It had some nice sticky lacing to it as I drank it as well.

The aroma really shows off some nice toasted, sweet, coconut flavors to it. It's definitely more apparent then I anticipated, but I really like it. I get a sweeter chocolate and vanilla presence to it as well, which really blends with the coconut flavors nicely. It was sweet, but also so smooth and flavorful. Great aroma overall.

The coconut is also immediately noticeable in the taste. I get a lot of toasted coconut mixing with some really nice vanilla flavors. Some chocolate notes come out in the finish along with just a bit of caramel. The coconut is bold in it, but it came together extremely well. It was so flavorful and smooth. I don't even like coconut that well but the flavors in this really wowed me.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth and creamy with carbonation being low. Great mouthfeel for the style and flavors.

Overall I thought it was a fantastic beer. After being somewhat disappointed with Mango Mama and Czar Jack I was hesitant to trade for any more of their special beers. This one however really wowed me and I loved that it was so unique and unlike anything I've ever had before. The coconut was so good in it and complimented the sweet stout flavors perfectly for the style. I'd definitely say that this is a new favorite of the style for me. Not being a big coconut fan I was completely surprised at how much I liked this one.

3.72/5  rDev -15.1%

64 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black with a little transparency at the edges. Small khaki head. Thick collar.

Smell - Lots of coconut. Slight acidic aroma. Chocolate.

Taste - Coconut is less strong but still potent. Coffee roasted malt. Sweet caramel. Chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Light for a stout. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Good, but I'm clearly missing the hype.

3.78/5  rDev -13.7%

On-tap at Town Hall Tap. Yup, it sure does taste like a Mounds bar. The coconut character was richer with mild toasted notes over the sweet candy flavors. I don't get much milk stout here. There's a chocolate character in the background and a small but distinct taste of lactose. The body is fairly thick and frankly I had trouble finishing the 20 oz pint. It's a great dessert beer, if you like a good Mounds bar or just like coconut. I would have liked a touch more flavor that wasn't coconut-based. Still, it's easily the best coconut beer I've ever had.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a dark brown with a thick mocha collar and small cap. Leaves a little lacing on the side.

Faint whiffs of sweet coconut. Roastiness.

Roast up front then gives way to the coconut aspect. I feel like the coconut doesn't fully come through after the after taste and even a little longer than that.

Pretty dang smooth. Pricklier carbonation than I would have guessed going in.

Perhaps my favorite part about Three Hour Tour is how the roast feels like it melts away into a coconut taste. Worth tracking down. Thanks for shipping Gord!

4.39/5  rDev +0.2%

This growler was shared by caSSino during the Charlotte Tasting 2012. Thanks Mike!

This one pours a medium bodied dark chocolate brown in color with a slight beige lacing around the glass. The nose is full of coconut and milk chocolate with an ever so slight roast. Wowzers, so much coconut. The flavors too are full of chocolaty coconut aka Mounds. It isn't complex but damn is it effective. It drinks kind of light in body with an off dry finish. It's a really easy, light yet sweet stout. Overall this was an excellent beer. I'm glad it was as advertised.

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

Black bodied beer with a creamy deep brown head. The head recedes to a collar in about a minute. Spotty lace is left on the glass as I drink. Aroma is incredible. Milk chocolate and very light roasted malt. Toasted coconut is very subtle on the nose. I doubt I'd pick it out if I didn't know it was in the beer. Hazelnut and mocha and coffee accent as well. Fantastic! I pick up the coconut a little more on the palate with my first sip, but it is in no way overbearing. It REALLY blends nicely with the milk stout base. The base flavor is chocolatey and roasty and sweet. The toasted coconut accents beautifully and leaves a nice lingering toasted coconut/ coconut milk flavor long after. This beer is lightly carbonated an about medium in body. Very easy drinking and VERY flavorful. A one of a kind.

2.51/5  rDev -42.7%

Growler opened on 10.31.12.

A - Pours a very dark brown with a huge, foamy light brown head with great retention.

S - Coffee, milk chocolate, almond, and some sour cherry.

T - Bitter chocolate and lots of bitter sour cherry flavors.

D - Decent carbonation with a heavy-medium body.

O - Not sure here. I think this one went bad, but I have nothing else to compare it to here. Barely drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Growler shared by JP - much obliged!

Pours black with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of equal amounts of smooth roasted malts and dark chocolate flavors. Also present are of course coconut aromas that seem closer to coconut milk than normal dried coconut.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Lightly roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors kick things off. Joining in almost immediately are large coconut flavors that are a bit sweeter than in the aroma. Coconut and dark chocolate flavors carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I wasn't expecting to enjoy this beer nearly as much as I did. A very good base stout is key here as is the fact that the coconut influence isn't overpowering. A huge flavor profile in a relatively small ABV that is well worth a shot.

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

Growler provided by Sean, poured into a Captain Lawrence pint glass...Light black with a medium tan head, good retention, ok lacing...Aroma is incredibly sweet, coconut dominates everything, creamy, light chocolate. Its interesting, coconut is done perfectly in terms of catching the essence of real fresh coconut...The taste is true to the aroma and coconuts, very authentic. However, this is ten times too sweet, almost not drinkable. Slight chocolate notes try to break the creamy coconut but too sweet and one dimensional for me.

A great tick, awesome for a second to try the coconut but this is way to sweet to be anything than a 4-6oz sipper.

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Al Do for sharing this gem! It's tremendously rich & decadent chocolate, with marshmallow, rum, and vanilla notes. Easily deserves its place in the BA Top 250. Get some if you can!

4.19/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On draught at the brewery, Three Hour Tour is cola brown with a tan collar leaving no lace.

Smell is all coconut, like tanning oil (always a plus when something inspires thoughts of bikinis).

Taste is on the sweeter side, huge coconut, but surprisingly not cloying. Nevertheless, I can taste the diabetes, and can no longer feel my legs. I'll be honest though, I normally don't care for lactose and milk stouts, but this one was really tasty in spite of the sweetness, or perhaps because of it!

Mouthfeel is smooth, light bodied, perhaps a touch sticky.

Drinkability is pretty good, a decent milk stout with a nice twist with the coconut. Still, bit more complexity and less sweetness would suit me, as is the case with most of their beers.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

A-Dark brown-black with some ruby...little to no head

S-Chocolate fudge...vanilla...mild coconut...some nutty notes...very rich and aromatic...

T-Bursting with full flavors of coconut, and chocolate fudge..the coconut is much more prominent on the taste, although it is definitely noticable on the aroma.

M-High side of medium bodied or low side of full bodied...very sweet and rich....

D-This is the ultimate desert beer. Not sure how many of these in one night I can handle and I will likely split this growler for a couple of nights..so rich and decadent...has some barrel aged vanilla qualities and the richness of it reminds me a little of Goose Island BB Stout...I am rating drinkability high because this is an exceptional effort and what I would expect from a coconut milk stout...I wouldn't expect it to drink like Coors Light and this definitely is on the other end of the spectrum. Drinkability is high for one or two...after that it would be a bit much but seriously who is heading out for the night thinking I need to drink 13...14 of these for it to be enjoyable?? Certainly not me..

After sipping on my second one tonight let me add what this really tastes like...a liquid almond joy bar....awesome

Day two notes as I finish this growler....this is some outstanding beer....it is the type of beer your could really screw up and have taste bad but this is incredible...

I am getting a lot more coconut on the aroma this time around....smells top notch..

Really looks the part with a seductive reddish tint....

The body is rich, full and velvety...couldn't do it any better...

Drinkability??? If you want an incredible cocunut stout this is it..

Three Hour Tour from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery