Three Hour Tour - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: jjanega08 on 10-27-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 229 | Reviews: 83
3.05/5  rDev -31.3%

Draft at the brewery. Black pour with a tan head. Aroma is up front chocolate and coconut. Flavor is just blatant coconut with a bit of lactose and chocolate behind. Finishes too sweet, extremely cloying, yet good carbonation. I couldn’t finish even half of my pint. This beer is far too sweet. I have a feeling a 5 ounce glass would have been a much better serving size, but even that might be a bit much even for a dessert beer. I wouldn't want to eat a mounds bar and I sure don't want to drink the liquid form of it.

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

4.37/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap. Served in a tasting glass at ABR. From notes.

A- Pours a very dark brown with a thin mocha head that has good retention.

S- Almond Joys candy bars immediately come to mind, with dark chocolate, toasted coconut and almonds. Notes of vanilla, cream, roasted malt and coffee are present as well.

T- Lots of fresh and toasted coconut, dark and milk chocolate, almonds, vanilla, cream, roasted malt and a hint of coffee beans.

M- Low to medium carbonation and a creamy body.

O- One of the best beers at ABR. If you like coconut beers, this is a must try. Not sure if I could consume this is large amounts due to how rich it is, but still one of the best Milk Stouts I've had.

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

4.75/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a growler into a tasting glass. It poured black in color with a thin tan head scattered across the top of the beer. It had some nice sticky lacing to it as I drank it as well.

The aroma really shows off some nice toasted, sweet, coconut flavors to it. It's definitely more apparent then I anticipated, but I really like it. I get a sweeter chocolate and vanilla presence to it as well, which really blends with the coconut flavors nicely. It was sweet, but also so smooth and flavorful. Great aroma overall.

The coconut is also immediately noticeable in the taste. I get a lot of toasted coconut mixing with some really nice vanilla flavors. Some chocolate notes come out in the finish along with just a bit of caramel. The coconut is bold in it, but it came together extremely well. It was so flavorful and smooth. I don't even like coconut that well but the flavors in this really wowed me.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth and creamy with carbonation being low. Great mouthfeel for the style and flavors.

Overall I thought it was a fantastic beer. After being somewhat disappointed with Mango Mama and Czar Jack I was hesitant to trade for any more of their special beers. This one however really wowed me and I loved that it was so unique and unlike anything I've ever had before. The coconut was so good in it and complimented the sweet stout flavors perfectly for the style. I'd definitely say that this is a new favorite of the style for me. Not being a big coconut fan I was completely surprised at how much I liked this one.

4.08/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks very much, Bill, for your generosity...

A: This is one dark, dark, dark brew. The deepest of browns, perhaps even black. About two fingers of light brown head fades to a half finger, but lingers very well. Nice lacing on the sides. Digging the look on this.

S: Milk chocolate, toasted coconut, and some hops. Some vanilla and a little hint of coffee roast pop out of the background here and there.

T: Wow, loads of coconut on this. Blends with creamy chocolate, vanilla, and caramel to create a unique tasting brew. A little lactic on the back end, but overall it is quite smooth and creamy. Good.

M: Flavors are impressively balanced and mouthfeel is full and creamy.

O: A really nice accomplishment with the coconut milk on this one. I'm not the biggest fan of coconut, so the fact that I enjoyed this beer speaks volumes to how well it was crafted. The blend of flavors here is expertly done and this is one of the smoothest stouts I've had in recent memory, especially considering how complex it is. Very good.

3.5/5  rDev -21.2%

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Three Hour Tour from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery