Three Hour Tour - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: jjanega08 on 10-27-2009)
4.22/5  rDev -5.2%

first to premise, not my style. Not a fan of sweet beers, so surprisingly this one gets high marks.
A- dark as hell with zero head on it, just a few roasted bubles on the side
S- all coconut, with just a hint of roast
t- I just fickin drank a Mars bar. Taste of chocolate roast and coconut is the only flavors present
m - very easy to drink, I keep going back for more to dissect each taste to find more, but still only find chocolate and coconut
o - a mos def must try, very good beer. You must like coconut, cuz its a coco nut punch to the mouth.

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

Aroma: (11/12)
Very light roasted hints, together with a good amount of coconut and sweetness.

Flavor: (17/20)
The sweetness / lactose and coconuts hit the tongue right away and carries through in the middle. The coconut dominates the back end and aftertaste. Strong coconut flavor!

Mouthfeel: (5/5)
Very silky and smooth! Medium-bodied. Sticky lips from lactose.

Overall Impression: (9/10)
This is a very good beer that is extremely smooth and silky! The lactose makes a nice heavier body and definitely adds some stickiness to your lips. Very well crafted, but I could only have one pint per sitting - the coconut flavor would become too much for me.

4.33/5  rDev -2.7%

What a great beer. I finally opened my growler from Oct and it let out a nice little hiss as it opened. Pours jet black and viscous with next to zero head. I had this one on tap when it came out too and I don't remember it having much of a head at that point either. Smells of sweet coconut and a bit of roasted malt. The flavor is an explosion, yet so smooth. I think it was even better out of the growler with a couple of month on it. The coconut took a small step back and allowed the chocolatly malt and roasted flavors to take a stronger part in the flavor. People describe it as drinking a Mounds bar and it's not too far from the truth. This thing simply coats your mouth and envelops all of your senses with a roasted chocolate/coconut/vanilla smootheness. I could drink this on and on - it's sweet but not overly so. A growler might be a bit much in a day but I didn't want to waste any of this delicious treat.

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to beckel for sending this growler out my way. Served in a snifter.

Pours nearly-black with a single-finger mocha head that settles down into a nice collar. A touch of lacing on the sides of my glass. The nose brings forward a lot of barrel character and chocolate as well as some chocolate and vanilla. Roasted malt and a bit of sweetness there as well. There is a moderate toasted coconut character in the background, though I couldn't have picked it out without knowing that it was there.

The chocolate and bourbon characteristics come out really well in the flavor. Ultra smooth and tasty. Good notes of vanilla and a bit of roast as well as some light cherry and toasted coconut. Really enjoying this. Very nice feel between the bourbon and a bit of booze. Perfect carbonation level. A really nice brew that grew on me as it warmed up and as I went through a few small glasses. Well done, TH.

4.43/5  rDev -0.4%

You never know where you're going to be when you get to knock off one of your big wants. In this case, it was in 20 degree weather, while waiting in line at Troegs Splinter Black day. A special thanks to Thorpe429 for having the right growler of beer at the right time. I owe you one Mike!

I actually want to get a full growler of this stuff to share with others at some point in the near future. The concept of this brew is right up my wheelhouse!

A: Poured a pitch black, almost melted dark chocolate truffle color, with ever the slightest beige head that stayed at least a bubble formation throughout the session.

S: Cruzan coconut rum dipped in melted milk chocolate.... yep.... that just about sums it up. Definitely a hint of vanilla and more than a hint of lactose sugar.

T: Candy-bar like for sure, but I'm thinking more along the lines of chocolate, coconut macaroon. I thought this was going to be a sugar bomb, but it ended up being a dessert lover's wildest fantasy. The balance between the coconut and the sugary elements were spot on.

M: Well, to be honest, I wish this were a bit thicker (ala. FFF "Moloko"), but the novelty of the brew overall was so slick, that this is but a minor quibble. The carbonation was good for this style.

D: Having only a sip of this would be like only eating one "M & M." Who the hell does that?

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

From 12/12/10 notes. Poured from a growler into a tulip. Thanks to thorpe429 for sharing this; thanks Mike.

a - Pours a black color with almsot no head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of dark fruits, roasted malts, chocolate, coconuts, and sweet fruits.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, light cococut, fruit, and vanilla.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, pretty smooth.

d - Very easy to drink and a nice milk stout. Not as much coconut as I expected but I liked it. Glad I got to try it and would like to try again sometime.

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

Growler at a recent tasting provided by BeerGirl8, thanks!

Beer is dark brown with a halo head that leaves some lacing on the glass, carbonation moderate to low, but I doubt this is because of the growler.

The aroma is sweet, with chocolate, malt and I guess some coconut.

I am not a fan of coconut in general so I did not know what I was going to get out of this beer...disappointment? Maybe...fortunately for me I got very little coconut out of this beer, in fact I had to search for it. Beer is sweet with a medium body, creamy mouthfeel, sweetness comes from the malt, there is some alcohol in the front and finish is mostly roast. The coconut notes are subtle and hidden and could be in the midpalate but I just don't find them. I wouldn't have guessed there was coconut in there in a blind taste test, not at all.

Personal note: At the time of this review this beer is a milk / sweet stout and not on the top sweet stout list due to lack of reviews.

4.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Dark brown, with a small beige head that hangs out for a while before leaving a nice sheet of lacing on the glass.

S: Toffee, butter, coconuts, roasted malt, chocolate.

T: The beer is incredibly tasty and has greatly exceeded my expectations. I find it hard to believe that I am enjoying a beer brewed with coconuts to this degree. Coconuts and chocolate melded with roasted malt and buttery toffee candies make this a delicious beer. It's the perfect marriage of beer and a gourmet candy bar. The balance and harmony achieved with all of these bold flavors make this a special beer. Wow.

M: Not as sweet as I would have expected, but a bit on the sweet end of the spectrum, nonetheless.

D: Terrific stuff, but probably best enjoyed in small quantities.

4.63/5  rDev +4%

Had this a few weeks ago when I was visiting Minneapolis. The review is from my notes.

A: opaque and black, thin cocoa head, decent retention, some lacing

S: this smells amazing.. like a Mounds candy bar. The chocolate is first and is followed by a HUGE creamy coconut character. I am not a huge fan of coconut but am simply impressed by how well it is incorporated in to this brew. This doesn't even smell like beer, more like liquid candy bar.

T: just like the nose, the taste is full of coconut and chocolate. The coconut is incorporated so well and the base milk stout provides the perfect base for the rest of the flavors. There is some caramel and roast in the middle and a long sweet finish that leaves you wanting more.

MF: smooth, medium body, velvety texture

D: the drinkability on this beer is wonderful. It goes down so smoothly and every last sip is delicious. This is worth trying. Get it on draft if you can, I had a growler that was a week or two old and the brightness of the flavors dropped considerably.

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Growler shared by JP - much obliged!

Pours black with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of equal amounts of smooth roasted malts and dark chocolate flavors. Also present are of course coconut aromas that seem closer to coconut milk than normal dried coconut.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Lightly roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors kick things off. Joining in almost immediately are large coconut flavors that are a bit sweeter than in the aroma. Coconut and dark chocolate flavors carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I wasn't expecting to enjoy this beer nearly as much as I did. A very good base stout is key here as is the fact that the coconut influence isn't overpowering. A huge flavor profile in a relatively small ABV that is well worth a shot.

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sending this my way.

Black and completely impenetrable by light. A hard pour leaves me with a small brown crust on top of the ebony body.

Tons of chocolate and coconut on the nose, this smells exactly like a Mounds bar. There's not much else to say, but it's wonderful.

The palate shows a touch more complexity, though it's still dominated by sweet coconut and milk chocolate. The finish brings flavors of licorice and roasted malt that help balance the initial blast of sweetness, but it's decidedly a dessert beer. That said, it never became cloying, even after several pours.

4.08/5  rDev -8.3%

on tap and a growler for home, just for reviewing science.

Black pour with a quickly disappearing head. Looks thin rather than thick.

Smells are coconut, chocolate, vanilla, some coffee (subtle).

Very interesting taste. Coconut is strong, pretty authentic (although my wife said it smelled/tasted like sun tan lotion, which I couldn't shake while drinking it). Other flavors mentioned above balance, but this is coconut first and foremost.

It's not a big thick stout, and I personally felt it needed more heft. Carbonation good, maybe even too much, but I swirled it away as needed.

Worth trying, and quite unique.

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

I had this beer a couple of years ago at the Autumn Brew Review. I voted it as the best beer there, but hadn't seen it since then. I was happy to see it was released this year in growlers. I cracked it open last night after a long day of homebrewing. Here is my review.

A: Pours jet black w/ some amber hues in the background. The beige head is there initially but dies relatively fast. I guess that is what coconut will do to a beer. Carbonation is moderate. Looks pretty good, but some more head retention would be nice.

S: Wow! The description of this being like a Mounds bar couldn't be more spot on. Lots of coconut quickly followed by chocolate and sweetness. Light roastiness. Smells phenomenal. The aromas are really well balanced. I was afraid that the coconut would overpower everything. Very nice flavors.

T: The flavors in this beer are amazing. A lovely blend of coconut, roasted coffee, dark and milk chocolate are abound. There is some faint caramel and toffee in the middle. The lactose rounds out a very smooth, but not cloying sweetness in the end. This beer is extremely well balanced for what it is trying to be. Really an epic after dinner beer.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. Full mouthfeel. Smooth and creamy. Doesn't finish too sticky. Moderate carbonation.

D: This is an amazing beer. It really is a testament to what flavors you can get in a beer. I felt that it was very well balanced with nothing too overpowering. I can't give it a 5 on drinkability only because I could never see drinking more than one or two of these in a sitting. I will buy it again and again if I can find it. I only wish it came in bottles rather than a whole growler.

4.28/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Dark brown with a slight red glean around the edges. Light tan head is short-lived.

S: Coconut, milk chocolate, sweet caramel malt. Smells like a Mounds bar. Amazing.

T: Starts with a gigantic coconut sweetness. Beyond that there's light dry roasted malt, some nutty flavors, and lactose giving it milk chocolate character. Leaves a bit of a dry sugary aftertaste.

M: Medium to thick body with light carbonation. Somewhat sticky and a little drying.

Wow. Pretty rich stuff. Can't say I've had anything similar and glad I was able to grab one of these. Would rate this a bit higher if it wasn't so mouth-drying, but a standout for the style. If you like coconut and chocolate, this should be high on your list of beers to try.

3.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Growler provided by Sean, poured into a Captain Lawrence pint glass...Light black with a medium tan head, good retention, ok lacing...Aroma is incredibly sweet, coconut dominates everything, creamy, light chocolate. Its interesting, coconut is done perfectly in terms of catching the essence of real fresh coconut...The taste is true to the aroma and coconuts, very authentic. However, this is ten times too sweet, almost not drinkable. Slight chocolate notes try to break the creamy coconut but too sweet and one dimensional for me.

A great tick, awesome for a second to try the coconut but this is way to sweet to be anything than a 4-6oz sipper.

4.33/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to Sean or Kan or whoever opened this up at our little tasting last night.

A - A black colored porter with an off white head that faded to a small ring.

S - Wow, coconut in a beer, it really smells like it. Reminds me so much of an Almond Joy without the Almonds. Great chocolate mixes in with a bit or roast, very nice.

T - Can't believe they pulled this off. The coconut is super strong, but just when you think it's going to get to be too much, it's not. Chewy chocolate and coconut make this a very sweet one. I don't like sweet, but this is really amazing. Little bit of roasted goodness in there.

M - Full bodied, approiate carbonation, little chewy.

D - Highly drinkable for something this dark and sweet. A great beer that was very nicely done.

3.8/5  rDev -14.6%

On-tap at Town Hall Tap. Yup, it sure does taste like a Mounds bar. The coconut character was richer with mild toasted notes over the sweet candy flavors. I don't get much milk stout here. There's a chocolate character in the background and a small but distinct taste of lactose. The body is fairly thick and frankly I had trouble finishing the 20 oz pint. It's a great dessert beer, if you like a good Mounds bar or just like coconut. I would have liked a touch more flavor that wasn't coconut-based. Still, it's easily the best coconut beer I've ever had.

4.63/5  rDev +4%

Poured into Founders snifter.

Pours a caramel brown, but settles black. Pours a small layer of head that fades down.

Aroma: Mounds bar awesomeness. Chocolate, coconuts, pecans, and creamy flavors. It is sweet and creamy. One of the best milk/sweet stouts I have smelled. Simply amazing.

Taste: Again, it is like a liquid mounds bar. Wow, this is amazing. Milky and creamy with chocolate, coconuts, and other nut flavors. A hint of roasted malts. Very sweet and creamy.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth with a touch of roastedness. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little roasted.

Overall, this is one of the most drinkable stouts I have ever had. I am having a hard time putting my glass down. It is incredibly drinkable. One of my new favorites from TH.

4.53/5  rDev +1.8%

Figured I'd get the double tick on this one. Growler brought back from the brewery three days ago. This will give me the opportunity to see the head anyway. Poured into a pint glass.

3.0 A: Black color. Frothy quickly disappering head. The on-tap version came with just a touch of head, but it had completely different characteristics. Weird.

4.5 S: Coconut is the strongest this time. Lactose and chocolate are next. Pretty much the same, but I also picked up a stronger roastiness. I like the aroma better the second time around for whatever reason.

4.5 T: The coconut shows up big time in the taste. Chocolate and lactose aren't that far behind. Subtle bitterness that comes from the very apparent roastiness. Same as fresh on-tap.

4.5 M: Medium body. Super smooth and creamy. Good moderate carbonation.

5.0 D: This goes down super easy. I wasn't sure about coconut and stout, but it worked out well. I shared this with four other guys. A portion of me wishes I just drank it myself.

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On draught at the brewery, Three Hour Tour is cola brown with a tan collar leaving no lace.

Smell is all coconut, like tanning oil (always a plus when something inspires thoughts of bikinis).

Taste is on the sweeter side, huge coconut, but surprisingly not cloying. Nevertheless, I can taste the diabetes, and can no longer feel my legs. I'll be honest though, I normally don't care for lactose and milk stouts, but this one was really tasty in spite of the sweetness, or perhaps because of it!

Mouthfeel is smooth, light bodied, perhaps a touch sticky.

Drinkability is pretty good, a decent milk stout with a nice twist with the coconut. Still, bit more complexity and less sweetness would suit me, as is the case with most of their beers.

4.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Tap. Ahhh, 3 Hour Tour, so we meet again. I have been craving this beer ever since i had it last year. Pours a nice dark brown with a tan 1 finger head. The aroma is coconut right off the bat and in your face followed by mild dark chocolate and vanilla. The taste is liquid Mounds Bar through and through! The coconut flavor is present the entire time but you also do get some dark chocolate, vanilla, and roast coffee notes. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. Some people I talked to have said 1 is enough as it can be a little sweet but for me, this by far is the best coconut beer and I could drink it everyday, all day.

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a solid black color with the consistency of cream. A thin brown head that recedes pretty quickly and leaves only some spotty lacing.

Decadent tropical smell of coconut and light banana. A bit of milky sweetness and a hint of chocolate as well.

Can you say Mounds candy bar? Wow! Big coconut presence, but not overwhelming at all. A blend of milk chocolate and dark chocolate, lactose sweetness with a touch of coffee on the end. Just amazing.

Full bodied, milk like smoothness and consistency. Could use a carbonation bump to add some creaminess, but can't complain a whole lot here.

This is just an amazing beer that I could drink nearly all night. Never had anything like it. If you like coconut, you must try this beer. Can't say enough about how much I enjoy it.

3.98/5  rDev -10.6%

5.9% ABV
Sampled at the brewpub in a pint glass on 30/10/2010.

Appearance 3.5/5
Dark brown to black with a brown head; medium retention, no lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Smells like a dessert full of coconut, nuts, and banana, cooked in coconut oil. Rich and strong aroma but hardly stout-ish.

Taste 4/5
Slight banana and strong coconut notes, exactly similar to the nose. Some roast and bitterness help keep the finish clean, but coconut flavor lingers. I like it.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Could've been smoother, had the carbonation been lower, and that would've worked really well here.

Drinkability 4.5/5
Very good.

4.63/5  rDev +4%

Drank with my homie Brian. Huge thanks to mnjeff for picking this up for me yesterday, since I was unable to make it. Here's to you, Jeff! Served into my darkness snifter:

A - pours a dark black color, with a tan, thin head. No lacing retention. Lots of small bubbles cling to the side of my glass.

S - Candy! Smells so good! Sweet milk chocolate with bits of coconut. You always hear that it smells this way, but to actually smell it is almost life changing. Fantastic.

T - Taste follows the nose. Mounds bar all the way. Sweet chocolate and milky. Bits of roast, but that takes a back seat to the milk chocolate. Bits of graham cracker and marshmallows. Very, very good.

M - this is where the beer lacks. Its tastes almost flat and watery. Smooth, but again, just could be so much more with a little more body. It's still good, just wish it was a bit more. This kind of makes me wonder, as other have said, that the beer tastes and feels sort of differnent because the Town Hall decided to make full batches and sell growlers to the public instead of just brewing a small batch like they ususally do...

D - Way too easy. I could mix this in with my ceral. I drank my glass so fast that I almost felt bad, and but again, almost, because I have 32oz to drink. Should seek out if possible.

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a deep dark black with a tall tan head. Excellent retention with some lace.

S: Almost a barrel like aroma so much roasted coconut and vanilla its like liquid dessert.

T: Light chocolate, tons of dark roasted coconut, vanilla, and roast. Like a Mound's bar but better.

M: Medium in body, smooth, excellent carbonation.

D: Awesome one of the tastiest beers I have come across.

Three Hour Tour from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery