2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Three Hour Tour - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Three Hour Tour
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: jjanega08 on 10-27-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 177 | Reviews: 80 | Show All Ratings:
largadeer

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sending this my way.

Black and completely impenetrable by light. A hard pour leaves me with a small brown crust on top of the ebony body.

Tons of chocolate and coconut on the nose, this smells exactly like a Mounds bar. There's not much else to say, but it's wonderful.

The palate shows a touch more complexity, though it's still dominated by sweet coconut and milk chocolate. The finish brings flavors of licorice and roasted malt that help balance the initial blast of sweetness, but it's decidedly a dessert beer. That said, it never became cloying, even after several pours.

11-30-2010 03:57:59 | More by largadeer
caskstrength

4.08/5  rDev -7.9%

on tap and a growler for home, just for reviewing science.

Black pour with a quickly disappearing head. Looks thin rather than thick.

Smells are coconut, chocolate, vanilla, some coffee (subtle).

Very interesting taste. Coconut is strong, pretty authentic (although my wife said it smelled/tasted like sun tan lotion, which I couldn't shake while drinking it). Other flavors mentioned above balance, but this is coconut first and foremost.

It's not a big thick stout, and I personally felt it needed more heft. Carbonation good, maybe even too much, but I swirled it away as needed.

Worth trying, and quite unique.

11-25-2010 04:25:52 | More by caskstrength
brewdoc75

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

I had this beer a couple of years ago at the Autumn Brew Review. I voted it as the best beer there, but hadn't seen it since then. I was happy to see it was released this year in growlers. I cracked it open last night after a long day of homebrewing. Here is my review.

A: Pours jet black w/ some amber hues in the background. The beige head is there initially but dies relatively fast. I guess that is what coconut will do to a beer. Carbonation is moderate. Looks pretty good, but some more head retention would be nice.

S: Wow! The description of this being like a Mounds bar couldn't be more spot on. Lots of coconut quickly followed by chocolate and sweetness. Light roastiness. Smells phenomenal. The aromas are really well balanced. I was afraid that the coconut would overpower everything. Very nice flavors.

T: The flavors in this beer are amazing. A lovely blend of coconut, roasted coffee, dark and milk chocolate are abound. There is some faint caramel and toffee in the middle. The lactose rounds out a very smooth, but not cloying sweetness in the end. This beer is extremely well balanced for what it is trying to be. Really an epic after dinner beer.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. Full mouthfeel. Smooth and creamy. Doesn't finish too sticky. Moderate carbonation.

D: This is an amazing beer. It really is a testament to what flavors you can get in a beer. I felt that it was very well balanced with nothing too overpowering. I can't give it a 5 on drinkability only because I could never see drinking more than one or two of these in a sitting. I will buy it again and again if I can find it. I only wish it came in bottles rather than a whole growler.

11-22-2010 18:43:21 | More by brewdoc75
GeezLynn

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Dark brown with a slight red glean around the edges. Light tan head is short-lived.

S: Coconut, milk chocolate, sweet caramel malt. Smells like a Mounds bar. Amazing.

T: Starts with a gigantic coconut sweetness. Beyond that there's light dry roasted malt, some nutty flavors, and lactose giving it milk chocolate character. Leaves a bit of a dry sugary aftertaste.

M: Medium to thick body with light carbonation. Somewhat sticky and a little drying.

Wow. Pretty rich stuff. Can't say I've had anything similar and glad I was able to grab one of these. Would rate this a bit higher if it wasn't so mouth-drying, but a standout for the style. If you like coconut and chocolate, this should be high on your list of beers to try.

11-21-2010 07:16:06 | More by GeezLynn
jrallen34

3.68/5  rDev -16.9%

Growler provided by Sean, poured into a Captain Lawrence pint glass...Light black with a medium tan head, good retention, ok lacing...Aroma is incredibly sweet, coconut dominates everything, creamy, light chocolate. Its interesting, coconut is done perfectly in terms of catching the essence of real fresh coconut...The taste is true to the aroma and coconuts, very authentic. However, this is ten times too sweet, almost not drinkable. Slight chocolate notes try to break the creamy coconut but too sweet and one dimensional for me.

A great tick, awesome for a second to try the coconut but this is way to sweet to be anything than a 4-6oz sipper.

11-18-2010 04:28:48 | More by jrallen34
AgentZero

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to Sean or Kan or whoever opened this up at our little tasting last night.

A - A black colored porter with an off white head that faded to a small ring.

S - Wow, coconut in a beer, it really smells like it. Reminds me so much of an Almond Joy without the Almonds. Great chocolate mixes in with a bit or roast, very nice.

T - Can't believe they pulled this off. The coconut is super strong, but just when you think it's going to get to be too much, it's not. Chewy chocolate and coconut make this a very sweet one. I don't like sweet, but this is really amazing. Little bit of roasted goodness in there.

M - Full bodied, approiate carbonation, little chewy.

D - Highly drinkable for something this dark and sweet. A great beer that was very nicely done.

11-15-2010 22:18:00 | More by AgentZero
tempest

3.8/5  rDev -14.2%

On-tap at Town Hall Tap. Yup, it sure does taste like a Mounds bar. The coconut character was richer with mild toasted notes over the sweet candy flavors. I don't get much milk stout here. There's a chocolate character in the background and a small but distinct taste of lactose. The body is fairly thick and frankly I had trouble finishing the 20 oz pint. It's a great dessert beer, if you like a good Mounds bar or just like coconut. I would have liked a touch more flavor that wasn't coconut-based. Still, it's easily the best coconut beer I've ever had.

11-15-2010 05:04:56 | More by tempest
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.63/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into Founders snifter.

Pours a caramel brown, but settles black. Pours a small layer of head that fades down.

Aroma: Mounds bar awesomeness. Chocolate, coconuts, pecans, and creamy flavors. It is sweet and creamy. One of the best milk/sweet stouts I have smelled. Simply amazing.

Taste: Again, it is like a liquid mounds bar. Wow, this is amazing. Milky and creamy with chocolate, coconuts, and other nut flavors. A hint of roasted malts. Very sweet and creamy.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth with a touch of roastedness. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little roasted.

Overall, this is one of the most drinkable stouts I have ever had. I am having a hard time putting my glass down. It is incredibly drinkable. One of my new favorites from TH.

11-14-2010 20:39:52 | More by mothman
DavoleBomb

4.53/5  rDev +2.3%

Figured I'd get the double tick on this one. Growler brought back from the brewery three days ago. This will give me the opportunity to see the head anyway. Poured into a pint glass.

3.0 A: Black color. Frothy quickly disappering head. The on-tap version came with just a touch of head, but it had completely different characteristics. Weird.

4.5 S: Coconut is the strongest this time. Lactose and chocolate are next. Pretty much the same, but I also picked up a stronger roastiness. I like the aroma better the second time around for whatever reason.

4.5 T: The coconut shows up big time in the taste. Chocolate and lactose aren't that far behind. Subtle bitterness that comes from the very apparent roastiness. Same as fresh on-tap.

4.5 M: Medium body. Super smooth and creamy. Good moderate carbonation.

5.0 D: This goes down super easy. I wasn't sure about coconut and stout, but it worked out well. I shared this with four other guys. A portion of me wishes I just drank it myself.

11-10-2010 03:51:40 | More by DavoleBomb
ccrida

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On draught at the brewery, Three Hour Tour is cola brown with a tan collar leaving no lace.

Smell is all coconut, like tanning oil (always a plus when something inspires thoughts of bikinis).

Taste is on the sweeter side, huge coconut, but surprisingly not cloying. Nevertheless, I can taste the diabetes, and can no longer feel my legs. I'll be honest though, I normally don't care for lactose and milk stouts, but this one was really tasty in spite of the sweetness, or perhaps because of it!

Mouthfeel is smooth, light bodied, perhaps a touch sticky.

Drinkability is pretty good, a decent milk stout with a nice twist with the coconut. Still, bit more complexity and less sweetness would suit me, as is the case with most of their beers.

11-04-2010 02:01:03 | More by ccrida
kbutler1

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Tap. Ahhh, 3 Hour Tour, so we meet again. I have been craving this beer ever since i had it last year. Pours a nice dark brown with a tan 1 finger head. The aroma is coconut right off the bat and in your face followed by mild dark chocolate and vanilla. The taste is liquid Mounds Bar through and through! The coconut flavor is present the entire time but you also do get some dark chocolate, vanilla, and roast coffee notes. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. Some people I talked to have said 1 is enough as it can be a little sweet but for me, this by far is the best coconut beer and I could drink it everyday, all day.

11-01-2010 12:32:54 | More by kbutler1
jera1350

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a solid black color with the consistency of cream. A thin brown head that recedes pretty quickly and leaves only some spotty lacing.

Decadent tropical smell of coconut and light banana. A bit of milky sweetness and a hint of chocolate as well.

Can you say Mounds candy bar? Wow! Big coconut presence, but not overwhelming at all. A blend of milk chocolate and dark chocolate, lactose sweetness with a touch of coffee on the end. Just amazing.

Full bodied, milk like smoothness and consistency. Could use a carbonation bump to add some creaminess, but can't complain a whole lot here.

This is just an amazing beer that I could drink nearly all night. Never had anything like it. If you like coconut, you must try this beer. Can't say enough about how much I enjoy it.

11-01-2010 02:46:39 | More by jera1350
tewaris

3.98/5  rDev -10.2%

5.9% ABV
Sampled at the brewpub in a pint glass on 30/10/2010.

Appearance 3.5/5
Dark brown to black with a brown head; medium retention, no lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Smells like a dessert full of coconut, nuts, and banana, cooked in coconut oil. Rich and strong aroma but hardly stout-ish.

Taste 4/5
Slight banana and strong coconut notes, exactly similar to the nose. Some roast and bitterness help keep the finish clean, but coconut flavor lingers. I like it.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Could've been smoother, had the carbonation been lower, and that would've worked really well here.

Drinkability 4.5/5
Very good.

11-01-2010 01:14:50 | More by tewaris
joshuaseresse

4.63/5  rDev +4.5%

Drank with my homie Brian. Huge thanks to mnjeff for picking this up for me yesterday, since I was unable to make it. Here's to you, Jeff! Served into my darkness snifter:

A - pours a dark black color, with a tan, thin head. No lacing retention. Lots of small bubbles cling to the side of my glass.

S - Candy! Smells so good! Sweet milk chocolate with bits of coconut. You always hear that it smells this way, but to actually smell it is almost life changing. Fantastic.

T - Taste follows the nose. Mounds bar all the way. Sweet chocolate and milky. Bits of roast, but that takes a back seat to the milk chocolate. Bits of graham cracker and marshmallows. Very, very good.

M - this is where the beer lacks. Its tastes almost flat and watery. Smooth, but again, just could be so much more with a little more body. It's still good, just wish it was a bit more. This kind of makes me wonder, as other have said, that the beer tastes and feels sort of differnent because the Town Hall decided to make full batches and sell growlers to the public instead of just brewing a small batch like they ususally do...

D - Way too easy. I could mix this in with my ceral. I drank my glass so fast that I almost felt bad, and but again, almost, because I have 32oz to drink. Should seek out if possible.

10-31-2010 22:04:35 | More by joshuaseresse
tpd975

4.72/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a deep dark black with a tall tan head. Excellent retention with some lace.

S: Almost a barrel like aroma so much roasted coconut and vanilla its like liquid dessert.

T: Light chocolate, tons of dark roasted coconut, vanilla, and roast. Like a Mound's bar but better.

M: Medium in body, smooth, excellent carbonation.

D: Awesome one of the tastiest beers I have come across.

03-02-2010 14:30:40 | More by tpd975
baggio

Sweden

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%

Growler@Kplynch's place.

A: Pitch black with a minimal head.

S: Milk chocolate, Roasted malts, Coconut.

T: Coconut (Bounty milkchocolatebar!), Chocolate, Caramel, Roasted malts.

M: Rich and filling and very sweet. Goes down really easy although it might be hard to have more than 1 glass of this.

Incredible dessertbeer. Wish they would bottle this. Many thanks to BA Beerloco for bringing this to the tasting.

01-09-2010 18:31:08 | More by baggio
Mistofminn

4.9/5  rDev +10.6%

I'm usually very good about logging reviews immediately, but when it comes to Town Hall they change their beers so often that I fall behind. Here is my backlog of napkin reviews stuffed in the back of my desk drawer.

I sent a growler of this down to Beerlando so I naturally had to try it (on tap, not the growler) to ensure the quality was top notch. As usual it was.

Date: 11/2/09

Black in color, creamy brown head with decent retention but lacking in lacing. 4.0

Coconut is subtle at best, more chocolatey and toasty than anything. Very enticing. 5.0

Coconut to the max! Chocolatey goodnes, lightly toasted malts and roasted coconut. Excellent! 5.0+ (literally what my notes said)

Medium to heavy body, soft and creamy, excellent feel. 4.5

Drinkability is excellent, best coconut stout I've ever had. 5.0

Overall, top 5 beers I've had from Town Hall easily. Great stuff.

01-02-2010 04:02:44 | More by Mistofminn
ffejherb

4.55/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Beertruth and naproxen for sharing this growler on 12/11/09.

A - Poured a very dark brown liquid with a wispy light tan head that settled into a thin ring of retention and yielded a sparse amount of lace.

S - Wonderful toasted coconut aroma with vanilla and chocolate notes. Enough said!

T - Yum! The toasted and milky attributes of coconut really shine through in the flavor, with chocolate and vanilla notes complementing the flavor and adding a bit more sweetness to the table. However, the coconut really takes center stage here.

M - Medium bodied with a smooth, oily texture and subtle carbonation. Quite milky with a sweet finish.

D - I must have been about two-and-a-half sheets by the time I reviewed this, because my notes indicate that this is "some yummy ass shit!" Not exactly overly verbose or scholarly, but definitely the truth! This is easily competition for Maui Coconut Porter, although I find Three Hour Tour to be even more smooth and milky.

12-30-2009 13:58:00 | More by ffejherb
Deuane

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to Beertruth for sharing a growler of this decadent liquid!

A-Deep, dark black with a medium, creamy, dark tan head. Head reduces to a thin ring and leaves light ringing lace.

S-Like a toasted malt, chocolate covered coconut. Yep, that is about it!

T-As stated above without saying it this is a Mounds Bar liquidfied, fermented and carbonated. Rich and roasty with a ton of toasted coconut and milk chocolate goodness. This is a delight.

M-Medium-heavy body with a velvety smooth, thick, rich and chewy feel. Nice thing is it never gets "too rich" or "too sweet".

D-This stuff is Maui Coconut Porter turned up to 11! Man o' man this stuff hits home with me and rocks my world! Thanks so much to Adam for sharing!

12-15-2009 20:08:55 | More by Deuane
phattysbox

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Sampled from a growler at a tasting. HUGE thanks to Alan (beerloco) for bringing in this treat!

Poured about 5-7 oz. into Unibroue tulip glass. Pours a dark brown/black with a one inch tan pillow-like head. Looks like a classic porter.

Smell: Holy coconuts Batman! This brew hits you in the face with lightly toasted coconut and cocoa powder. Very inviting aroma of coconut and roasted malts - some caramel sweetness but subdued. The cocoa and coconut interplay very nicely here to produce a very complex nose.

Taste: One sip and I can realize why this brew is so sought after. The coconut flavor pervades the instant it hits your tongue and it is not artificial in anyway. Its like someone hacked a coconut from the tree, shaved the insides, popped in into the oven, and then took what was toasted and plopped it into my glass. Well done and well executed brew. The roasted malt backbone compliments the flavor. Medium bitterness from the roast rounds out the brew.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with average carbonation. Overall, this beer is extremely quaffable- a real treat to have. This beer is one of most expertly crafted beers I have come acrossed.

12-14-2009 18:59:17 | More by phattysbox
ZAP

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

A-Dark brown-black with some ruby...little to no head

S-Chocolate fudge...vanilla...mild coconut...some nutty notes...very rich and aromatic...

T-Bursting with full flavors of coconut, and chocolate fudge..the coconut is much more prominent on the taste, although it is definitely noticable on the aroma.

M-High side of medium bodied or low side of full bodied...very sweet and rich....

D-This is the ultimate desert beer. Not sure how many of these in one night I can handle and I will likely split this growler for a couple of nights..so rich and decadent...has some barrel aged vanilla qualities and the richness of it reminds me a little of Goose Island BB Stout...I am rating drinkability high because this is an exceptional effort and what I would expect from a coconut milk stout...I wouldn't expect it to drink like Coors Light and this definitely is on the other end of the spectrum. Drinkability is high for one or two...after that it would be a bit much but seriously who is heading out for the night thinking I need to drink 13...14 of these for it to be enjoyable?? Certainly not me..

After sipping on my second one tonight let me add what this really tastes like...a liquid almond joy bar....awesome
---

Day two notes as I finish this growler....this is some outstanding beer....it is the type of beer your could really screw up and have taste bad but this is incredible...

I am getting a lot more coconut on the aroma this time around....smells top notch..

Really looks the part with a seductive reddish tint....

The body is rich, full and velvety...couldn't do it any better...

Drinkability??? If you want an incredible cocunut stout this is it..

12-13-2009 01:58:28 | More by ZAP
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

Enormous thanks for getting a growler of this one into my hands. I brought it over the families house for TDay dinner, Served chilled and poured into pint glasses, this one was consumed on 11/27/2009.

The pour was fantastic, rich dark brown in color with a huge tan head that nearly over topped the sides of the glass, settled down gradually leaving behind lots of sticky lace on the sides. Aroma is dominated by dark chocolate and hints of coconut. Rich and loaded with malty goodness, the warmer it got the sweeter it smelled, but it was when you took that first sip that you fell flat on your ass. Huge flavor here, almost unbeliveable at times, rich chocolate and coconut collide with an almost dark licorice like bite to it and a hint of a coffee like bitterness. It was sublime. Rich and creamy with the coconut sitting back on the tongue just perfectly. I swear this had to be one of the richest beers I have ever come across in my life. Last sips had some light touches of bitterness in them, but roasted coconut rules the day.

Overall this was just simply one of the best beers I have ever had, no question in my mind. I would drink this everyday if I could, it was just perfect.

11-27-2009 14:51:33 | More by mikesgroove
younger35

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Another Saturday morning alone and since the little lady is working, time for Town Hall and football. Came specifically for this beer. Drank from a generic pint glass.

On a side note 165lbs of coconut was used. According to the waitress's and my calculations that's about 1.878787 pounds per 5 gal batch. Duly noted.

Appearance- Pours a pitch ass midnight black with a supremely creamy one finger dark tan head. No cap remains but a decent collar that somehow leaves no lacing.
Smell- Somewhat chocolaty with a small coconut presence. I was expecting more of a coconut blast but I guess if you think about it, coconut isn't the most pungent smelling fruit/nut/lagoon/what-the-fuck-ever-it-is dealy. Maybe a bit of caramel and a decent char in the background.
Taste- Holy f'n liquid mounds bar. The coconut in the nose I missed, just bitch slapped my tongue. Rich and chocolaty the beer has a sort of black patent roasty char that works well with said coconut. Touches of caramel and butterscotch butt in as well - really bringing the candy bar feel together. At no point though does this beer get sweet or cloying. The finish is rich and chocolaty with a lingering coconut goodness.
Mouthfeel- Thick and rich with velvety creaminess that is perfectly associated with a milk stout.
Drinkability- This beer is insanely drinkable. As I write this review on my iPhone I've almost finished two and that's definitely a first. I'd bathe in this beer if it was socially acceptable and money wasn't an issue. This beer is what Maui Coconut Porter should be. Freaking amazing!

11-21-2009 15:25:35 | More by younger35
KeefD

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this on tap at Town Hall yesterday. Pours a very dark brown color with a small off-white head that was gone quickly leaving little lacing. Aroma is deep, in your face, chocolaty-coconut goodness. Definitely sweet in the nose, plenty of sugary caramel and nuttiness. Taste is perfect for what they were going for. I asked if they had used toasted coconut, but the bartender assured me it was fresh, but there's something about this brings out a nice toasty edge to the coconut. Milk chocolate is the first thing to smack me across the tongue, and it's followed up by a nice coconut finish, roasty, nutty, sweet, but not cloyingly so. I'm even picking up something that tastes a little bit like cinnamon or nutmeg. So damn delicious. I give this a 6 out 5 for tastes. Creamy, soft mouthfeel, viscous and lightly warming. Great beer here. I had two pints of it, and that was enough for me, as the sweetness did become a bit much after awhile, but the first pint went down super easy and quick. Fantastic stuff.

11-08-2009 21:02:20 | More by KeefD
Bighuge

4.9/5  rDev +10.6%

Black bodied beer with a creamy deep brown head. The head recedes to a collar in about a minute. Spotty lace is left on the glass as I drink. Aroma is incredible. Milk chocolate and very light roasted malt. Toasted coconut is very subtle on the nose. I doubt I'd pick it out if I didn't know it was in the beer. Hazelnut and mocha and coffee accent as well. Fantastic! I pick up the coconut a little more on the palate with my first sip, but it is in no way overbearing. It REALLY blends nicely with the milk stout base. The base flavor is chocolatey and roasty and sweet. The toasted coconut accents beautifully and leaves a nice lingering toasted coconut/ coconut milk flavor long after. This beer is lightly carbonated an about medium in body. Very easy drinking and VERY flavorful. A one of a kind.

10-30-2009 03:20:32 | More by Bighuge