Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Three Hour Tour - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: jjanega08 on 10-27-2009

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Growler@Kplynch's place.

A: Pitch black with a minimal head.

S: Milk chocolate, Roasted malts, Coconut.

T: Coconut (Bounty milkchocolatebar!), Chocolate, Caramel, Roasted malts.

M: Rich and filling and very sweet. Goes down really easy although it might be hard to have more than 1 glass of this.

Incredible dessertbeer. Wish they would bottle this. Many thanks to BA Beerloco for bringing this to the tasting.

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

I'm usually very good about logging reviews immediately, but when it comes to Town Hall they change their beers so often that I fall behind. Here is my backlog of napkin reviews stuffed in the back of my desk drawer.

I sent a growler of this down to Beerlando so I naturally had to try it (on tap, not the growler) to ensure the quality was top notch. As usual it was.

Date: 11/2/09

Black in color, creamy brown head with decent retention but lacking in lacing. 4.0

Coconut is subtle at best, more chocolatey and toasty than anything. Very enticing. 5.0

Coconut to the max! Chocolatey goodnes, lightly toasted malts and roasted coconut. Excellent! 5.0+ (literally what my notes said)

Medium to heavy body, soft and creamy, excellent feel. 4.5

Drinkability is excellent, best coconut stout I've ever had. 5.0

Overall, top 5 beers I've had from Town Hall easily. Great stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Beertruth and naproxen for sharing this growler on 12/11/09.

A - Poured a very dark brown liquid with a wispy light tan head that settled into a thin ring of retention and yielded a sparse amount of lace.

S - Wonderful toasted coconut aroma with vanilla and chocolate notes. Enough said!

T - Yum! The toasted and milky attributes of coconut really shine through in the flavor, with chocolate and vanilla notes complementing the flavor and adding a bit more sweetness to the table. However, the coconut really takes center stage here.

M - Medium bodied with a smooth, oily texture and subtle carbonation. Quite milky with a sweet finish.

D - I must have been about two-and-a-half sheets by the time I reviewed this, because my notes indicate that this is "some yummy ass shit!" Not exactly overly verbose or scholarly, but definitely the truth! This is easily competition for Maui Coconut Porter, although I find Three Hour Tour to be even more smooth and milky.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Thanks to Beertruth for sharing a growler of this decadent liquid!

A-Deep, dark black with a medium, creamy, dark tan head. Head reduces to a thin ring and leaves light ringing lace.

S-Like a toasted malt, chocolate covered coconut. Yep, that is about it!

T-As stated above without saying it this is a Mounds Bar liquidfied, fermented and carbonated. Rich and roasty with a ton of toasted coconut and milk chocolate goodness. This is a delight.

M-Medium-heavy body with a velvety smooth, thick, rich and chewy feel. Nice thing is it never gets "too rich" or "too sweet".

D-This stuff is Maui Coconut Porter turned up to 11! Man o' man this stuff hits home with me and rocks my world! Thanks so much to Adam for sharing!

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Sampled from a growler at a tasting. HUGE thanks to Alan (beerloco) for bringing in this treat!

Poured about 5-7 oz. into Unibroue tulip glass. Pours a dark brown/black with a one inch tan pillow-like head. Looks like a classic porter.

Smell: Holy coconuts Batman! This brew hits you in the face with lightly toasted coconut and cocoa powder. Very inviting aroma of coconut and roasted malts - some caramel sweetness but subdued. The cocoa and coconut interplay very nicely here to produce a very complex nose.

Taste: One sip and I can realize why this brew is so sought after. The coconut flavor pervades the instant it hits your tongue and it is not artificial in anyway. Its like someone hacked a coconut from the tree, shaved the insides, popped in into the oven, and then took what was toasted and plopped it into my glass. Well done and well executed brew. The roasted malt backbone compliments the flavor. Medium bitterness from the roast rounds out the brew.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with average carbonation. Overall, this beer is extremely quaffable- a real treat to have. This beer is one of most expertly crafted beers I have come acrossed.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

A-Dark brown-black with some ruby...little to no head

S-Chocolate fudge...vanilla...mild coconut...some nutty notes...very rich and aromatic...

T-Bursting with full flavors of coconut, and chocolate fudge..the coconut is much more prominent on the taste, although it is definitely noticable on the aroma.

M-High side of medium bodied or low side of full bodied...very sweet and rich....

D-This is the ultimate desert beer. Not sure how many of these in one night I can handle and I will likely split this growler for a couple of nights..so rich and decadent...has some barrel aged vanilla qualities and the richness of it reminds me a little of Goose Island BB Stout...I am rating drinkability high because this is an exceptional effort and what I would expect from a coconut milk stout...I wouldn't expect it to drink like Coors Light and this definitely is on the other end of the spectrum. Drinkability is high for one or two...after that it would be a bit much but seriously who is heading out for the night thinking I need to drink 13...14 of these for it to be enjoyable?? Certainly not me..

After sipping on my second one tonight let me add what this really tastes like...a liquid almond joy bar....awesome

Day two notes as I finish this growler....this is some outstanding beer....it is the type of beer your could really screw up and have taste bad but this is incredible...

I am getting a lot more coconut on the aroma this time around....smells top notch..

Really looks the part with a seductive reddish tint....

The body is rich, full and velvety...couldn't do it any better...

Drinkability??? If you want an incredible cocunut stout this is it..

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Enormous thanks for getting a growler of this one into my hands. I brought it over the families house for TDay dinner, Served chilled and poured into pint glasses, this one was consumed on 11/27/2009.

The pour was fantastic, rich dark brown in color with a huge tan head that nearly over topped the sides of the glass, settled down gradually leaving behind lots of sticky lace on the sides. Aroma is dominated by dark chocolate and hints of coconut. Rich and loaded with malty goodness, the warmer it got the sweeter it smelled, but it was when you took that first sip that you fell flat on your ass. Huge flavor here, almost unbeliveable at times, rich chocolate and coconut collide with an almost dark licorice like bite to it and a hint of a coffee like bitterness. It was sublime. Rich and creamy with the coconut sitting back on the tongue just perfectly. I swear this had to be one of the richest beers I have ever come across in my life. Last sips had some light touches of bitterness in them, but roasted coconut rules the day.

Overall this was just simply one of the best beers I have ever had, no question in my mind. I would drink this everyday if I could, it was just perfect.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Another Saturday morning alone and since the little lady is working, time for Town Hall and football. Came specifically for this beer. Drank from a generic pint glass.

On a side note 165lbs of coconut was used. According to the waitress's and my calculations that's about 1.878787 pounds per 5 gal batch. Duly noted.

Appearance- Pours a pitch ass midnight black with a supremely creamy one finger dark tan head. No cap remains but a decent collar that somehow leaves no lacing.
Smell- Somewhat chocolaty with a small coconut presence. I was expecting more of a coconut blast but I guess if you think about it, coconut isn't the most pungent smelling fruit/nut/lagoon/what-the-fuck-ever-it-is dealy. Maybe a bit of caramel and a decent char in the background.
Taste- Holy f'n liquid mounds bar. The coconut in the nose I missed, just bitch slapped my tongue. Rich and chocolaty the beer has a sort of black patent roasty char that works well with said coconut. Touches of caramel and butterscotch butt in as well - really bringing the candy bar feel together. At no point though does this beer get sweet or cloying. The finish is rich and chocolaty with a lingering coconut goodness.
Mouthfeel- Thick and rich with velvety creaminess that is perfectly associated with a milk stout.
Drinkability- This beer is insanely drinkable. As I write this review on my iPhone I've almost finished two and that's definitely a first. I'd bathe in this beer if it was socially acceptable and money wasn't an issue. This beer is what Maui Coconut Porter should be. Freaking amazing!

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Had this on tap at Town Hall yesterday. Pours a very dark brown color with a small off-white head that was gone quickly leaving little lacing. Aroma is deep, in your face, chocolaty-coconut goodness. Definitely sweet in the nose, plenty of sugary caramel and nuttiness. Taste is perfect for what they were going for. I asked if they had used toasted coconut, but the bartender assured me it was fresh, but there's something about this brings out a nice toasty edge to the coconut. Milk chocolate is the first thing to smack me across the tongue, and it's followed up by a nice coconut finish, roasty, nutty, sweet, but not cloyingly so. I'm even picking up something that tastes a little bit like cinnamon or nutmeg. So damn delicious. I give this a 6 out 5 for tastes. Creamy, soft mouthfeel, viscous and lightly warming. Great beer here. I had two pints of it, and that was enough for me, as the sweetness did become a bit much after awhile, but the first pint went down super easy and quick. Fantastic stuff.

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

Black bodied beer with a creamy deep brown head. The head recedes to a collar in about a minute. Spotty lace is left on the glass as I drink. Aroma is incredible. Milk chocolate and very light roasted malt. Toasted coconut is very subtle on the nose. I doubt I'd pick it out if I didn't know it was in the beer. Hazelnut and mocha and coffee accent as well. Fantastic! I pick up the coconut a little more on the palate with my first sip, but it is in no way overbearing. It REALLY blends nicely with the milk stout base. The base flavor is chocolatey and roasty and sweet. The toasted coconut accents beautifully and leaves a nice lingering toasted coconut/ coconut milk flavor long after. This beer is lightly carbonated an about medium in body. Very easy drinking and VERY flavorful. A one of a kind.

4.39/5  rDev +0.2%

Served in a Hopleaf tulip glass. Thanks to d0b for sharing.

Black with a glint of ruby in the meniscus. Across the surface there was a smooth swath of creamy tan foam. Spotty lace remnants around the edges.

Very rich toasted coconut aroma. Unlike anything i've inhaled in a beer before. Not overly sweet, just full on authentic toasty coconut.

Distinct coconut meat/milk flavor, lightly toasty, backed by some chocolate milk sweetness. Ultra smooth with the consistency of chocolate milk also. More than a pint would be overindulgence, but one is just right. Well put together, and far more than just a novelty. This was exceptional, despite my hatred for grated coconut in foods (a texture-based hate).

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a growler into a Bell's tulip. I tried this with some other Chicago BA's.

A very slick dark brown near black liquid with a thin khaki collar.

The nose is awesome! Tons of coconut, chocolate, sweet malts, that's about it. It's a candy bar in a glass!

The first gulp gives me milk chocolate, dark chocolate, malted milk, tons of coconut, coconut milk, coffee, a little sour lactose.

Mouthfeel is slick and medium bodium with medium carbonation

The best coconut beer I've had to date, but the sweetness makes it a little hard to drink a ton of it. Thanks to d0b for the chance!

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to d0b for bringing this back from his recent Minneapolis binge. Served in the Sam Adams pint glass.

A - Pours with one finger of tan foam that dissipates to a solid cap and thick ring. Pitch black with maybe the slightest hint of brown at the fringes. Other than head volume this is just about perfect.

S - Holy crap there is a ton of coconut in this stuff. There's also a good amount of roastiness, milk chocolate, and light caramel, nuts, and multigrain, but this is all about roasted coconuts.

T - This taste almost exactly like Bounty chocolate bar. Tons of roasted coconut, malted chocolate, nuts, and lactose sugar. Light bitterness in the aftertaste. Since I love coconuts this is a huge winner for me, but I expect this to be polarizing.

M - Smooth with a touch of carbonation tingle. Medium-thin body that is not offensive for a lower ABV stout, but could be a little heftier. Kind of skim milky, but with a roasty finish.

D - The sweetness gets a little overwhelming, but the thinner texture and great taste make it pretty easy drinking. Still I can feel my pulse quickening from the sugar content, so this is a one pint kind of brew.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

64oz Growler
Town Hall

3 Hour Tour dumps from the growler with an ink black body that doesn't allow a hint of light through the darkness. The chestnut brown head grows to two fingers with minimal effort and as it settles at one finger becomes so creamy it looks as if it was a nitro pour. Eventually the foam falls to a skimming and respectable collar but this is after some time in the glass. It's one big black milk stout and shows some viscosity on the pour.

A solid dose of toasted coconut and chocolaty milk stout hit me right off the bat and all I can think of is macaroon. Toasted coconut leads the way into a semi-sweet chocolate middle with a slight roastiness and bittersweet chocolate on the backend. There are hints at nougat and dark fruits but they're few and far between, coming along every few pulls. The coconut is expertly done and in no way overpowering, in the nose anyway. Let's see how this translates into the flavor.

The flavor profile shows all the same components as the nose with a few things taking the place of others in intensity. The dark fruits are more noticeable across the middle of the tongue than the nose led me to believe and the toasted coconut loses some intensity but still fits in nicely with the nougat and bittersweet chocolate. The roastiness is soft and flashes through the middle while some dark chocolate comes in small waves here and there throughout the profile. This is a hell of an interesting beer with all the chocolate and coconut combos.

Town Hall nailed the mouthfeel on this stout. It has a medium body on the tip of the tongue with some active lingering carbonation and as it works its way back becomes silkier and somewhat viscous. The viscosity and weight fit the flavor profile perfectly. A touch of dark chocolate and coconut stick around a couple minutes after each drink.

3 Hour Tour can get a little rich at times which doesn't hurt the drinkability but does slow it down for me. The flavor combinations are so unique I keep coming back for more, they seem to constantly evolve and I feel the need to keep discovering each new nuance.

I'm drinking yet another gem from the guys at Town Hall. They can brew some beer up there in Minneapolis. I wouldn't hesitate in buying a few pints of this if I was sitting at the brewery right now on a chilly night. Have to give it up to those guys and their constant ingenuity with each release.

3.82/5  rDev -12.8%

A= pours a solid black color with no light coming though at all. The head is a perfect two fingers and the color is an awesome dark brown color. The head however doesn't last long. The sound of it was like a Coca Cola falling (quite loud) and the lacing is minimal.
S= Nice sweet stout smell at first but then I notice awesome coconut. Really great coconut smell. Like a fresh bag of shredded coconut opened for a cake. The sweet stouty smell is similar to a cake actually. Beautiful smell.
T= Very similar to the smell. Super sweet and delicious. The coconut taste is really awesome. Fresh flakes tasting. Not fresh coconut off the husk I guess but lots of nice flaked taste like a good cake. Really sweet and as I sip longer it almost gets too sweet but never really crosses that point. Delicious.
M= Almost no carbonation. I picked the growler up today just a couple hours ago so that shouldn't be a problem. There is also a little stickyness that is somewhat bothersome.
D= Good. Really tasty beer. Smooth and delicious. Great taste and reminds me more of a cake than any beer I've ever had. Great dessert beer.

Three Hour Tour from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery