Pumpkin Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: younger35 on 10-31-2009)
4.5/5  rDev +9%

imperialking, Jan 17, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

mdaschaf, Dec 18, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

KarlHungus, Friday at 06:13 PM
4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the THB - Tap.
Pours a golden brown/amber. Actually, no noticeable distinct smell...so I had to give it 3.0.
taste of vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and of course pumpkin. Very nice mellow pumpkin brew...not an overly spiced and in your face as usual, but the vanilla really mellows out this beer and makes it very drinkable. Id drink this all year. I would say im very lucky to get a pint before they ran out.

DrinkSlurm, Oct 31, 2011

stopped in @ MTHB and they had pumpkin ale on tap..it was cloudy orange with a beige 1 finger head..smell was spice with baked pumpkin bread some fruits .cinnamon and nutmeg,allspice..taste was the same its a perfect pumpkin pie or baked pumpkin bread taste mixed with spice it very tasty..some malts and hops balance things out to a medium mouth feel and great drinkability..this was solid

gatornation, Oct 23, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Enjoyed on-tap @ the Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis, MN in a $9 Flight tasting. Tapped from the tap handle with a Seasonal One on it and a dark olive background into a 10oz Short Stange Glass. Has 5.8% on the brew-menu.

Aroma- Awesome spice and pumpkin from the beginning and all the way though the beer. Has also a cherry aroma that comes into play towards the end almost like they just came out of a fresh jar from the grocery store. Strange in a Pumpkin Ale but don't mind!

Appearance- Received with a .5 finger head that dies quick. Has a dark amber body with good clarity. Good lacing afterwards.

Flavor- Tons of malt and pumpkin make up this brew! Not much spice because the pumpkin flavor and strong ingredient overpowers it! A light hop flavor is around here too but am not worried about this.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Medium-High carbonation, malty finish with tons of pumpkin! Perfect for what a pumpkin should be.

Overall Impression- Whew, nails it! One of my top 5 Pumpkin Ales! Doesn't look like it will be a good one from receiving it but then leaves this pre-judgement behind. I wish I could have gotten a growler of this (couldn't because they don't sell Growlers or ANY beer over 3% ABV on Sundays in MN) to take home. Will be enjoying this on my next roadtrip up to Minneapolis. I suggest you do the same if available!

DCon, Oct 28, 2011

FreshmanPour77, Dec 09, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +9%

HoistinBrews, Oct 23, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Had to hit up Town Hall while the little lady was working and there can't be a better time than a Saturday morning with football on right? Drank from a generic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a dark orange with hints of ruby red and a small half finger bright white head. A decent collar is left and a small spotty cap with pretty much no lacing.
Smell- Holy spice! All the pumpkin pie regulars are there. Cinnamon, allspice, clove, nutmeg and pumpkin. All in that order. I'm sure the pumpkin is heavy but the spices cut almost out entirely.
Taste- Holy spice! Cinnamon? Check. Nutmeg? Check. Clove? Check. Ginger? Maybe - but something really reminds me of crystallized Ginger. Plenty of toasted pumpkin engulfs my taste buds as does some caramely crystal malts and a touch of toffee coated hops. Once my mouth acclimated to the intense spices a touch of citric hops are noticeable. Especially in the finish.
Mouthfeel- Rich and luscious with a big full feel and light silky carbonation.
Drinkability- Hot damn. This is the best pumpkin beer I've had since the old ST Pumpking (when it used to be good, the original). It's got all the spice with just a pinch less of the pumpkin/caramel. What a treat!

younger35, Oct 31, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -49.2%

Major disappointment. Had my wife stop by the Hall as she works close by, but she still had to park in the ramp, walk down to the Hall, make the growler exchange and slap down the cash, just glad it wasn't raining. The beer was so bad I had to wonder what the heck happened, much different from the reviews I'm finding here. Was there a tainted growler bottle perhaps? This beer is too expensive for this bad of an experience. The first sign of problems was the pour. It poured like flat soda pop. Head? there may have been a residual rise of foam that thickened to a quarter inch and lasted ten seconds, just like it had been run through a carbonator. No lacing whatsoever. I even showed my wife who doesn't usually care about beer at all, but she saw what I was talking about. This beer did not look, act, feel or taste fresh.

I like unfiltered beer and this stuff was crystal clear with an amber tint. A totally inorganic craft beer experience. The taste was unpleasant. Not bad, not sour like bad/old beer, just nothing good to say about it. I called Matt and told him I wanted a refund; we're heading down there for lunch on Friday and we'll see what he says. They definitely lose a customer if I don't get recompensed on this one. First bummer of a beer I ever had from this place, but there are too many good choices out there for fresh craft beer. Something went wrong and I hope they come through. I'm not making this up.

RexInMinn, Nov 06, 2012