Festivus 2009 - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

pDev: n/a
Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: KeefD on 12-27-2009)
4.65/5  rDev n/a

Thrilled to get a growler of this one. I decided that on this saturday afternoon I should crack it open so I can slowly enjoy it over the course of the day. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 01/23/2010.

The pour was very rich looking. Black as night with an ice cap of chocolate colored head that was about a half inch high. Settled down and left the middle bare but clung to the sides with a brown chocolate lace. The aroma was insane. This is the closest thing to the aroma of sweet mocha that I have ever come across. Just thick gooey chocolate mixed with coffee and showered with a delicous sweetness that befuddled the senses. Truly a work of art from the first sip. Rich, decadent milk chocolate is seemlessly blended into a sweet coffee base. Hints of sugar and milk, a light touch of roasted malts and slight vanilla all come together perfectly. Not as full bodied as a big bold flavor normally would have commanded but I really think it works as you are able to sip and enjoy this one tremendously.

Overall a very unique and very well done stout. This is what all milk stouts should taste like to me. Super sweet and chocolatey and just wonderful. Gonna be a long day with this one.

4.38/5  rDev n/a

Black body. Thin and somewhat fizzy brown head. It quickly recedes to a thin collar. Lacing is sporadic. Aroma is outstanding. Perfect blend of cocoa and heavily roasted coffee. Flavor is thick with coffee first and foremost. Heavily roasted and bitter. Cocoa and chocolate enter the picture as well with a mild caramel undertone. This beer packs a heavy flavor punch. Quite bold. Body is medium and the beer is fairly prickly. Long lingering roasted bitterness. Solid all around.

4.75/5  rDev n/a

On my final day off after Christmas break I had to head down to Town Hall and try this tasty concoction. Drank from a generic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a pitch ass black with a two finger dark tan head that has some serious staying power. Thick collar and spotty cap remains with a bit of random lacing.
Smell- Very rich smelling and very chocolaty. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, M&M's; they're all in the nose. The coffee is light and probably is there amidst the light char of the malts. Also something slightly nutty in the nose that I can't put my finger on. Check that, after further investigation it's a malty 2-row like nuttiness. Smells like Midwest Brewing's malt room.
Taste- Like the nose the chocolate is dominate but I also get a bit more coffee. The chocolate is so rich and strong it's amazing. It's more on the dark chocolate side but a dry sort of parching cocoa nib like rawness is prevalent as well. The char is strong and the coffee blends well with everything. A light nutty finish with a touch of caramel.
Mouthfeel- Medium feel with a strong bite from the carbonation. I wish the carbonation was toned down just a touch for a smoother sort of silkiness.
Drinkability- Off the charts good. It's like a Founders Breakfast Stout with more chocolate, less alcohol and less coffee. Hard to say which I prefer but this thing is amazing none the less. Glad I got to try as it's another hugely tasty brew from Town Hall!

4.55/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A-Dark brown...nice ruby tinted brown puffy head..

S-A good dose of java and a good dose of melted milk chocolate balls...

T-Really a fantastic blend of the java and milk chocolate....mocha all the way...I'm not a huge fan of coffee or coffee in beers but really like how this one blends with the chocolate notes.

M-Medium to full bodied...bigger than I expected from a 5.8% beer...has a body closer to an Imperial stout than say a Guiness dry stout or something along those lines...creamy texture too.

D-This is an excellent mocha stout...I don't even like these usually and I love it...

4.33/5  rDev n/a

I ordered a pint at the bar and it appeared pitch black with a short tan head. This beer seems simple, but it's damn good. Upfront, there's a big and tasty coffee character followed by an amazing milk chocolate taste. These make for the best mocha beer I think I've ever had. The chocolate comes off creamy, like a milk stout. Drinkable and delicious, this is a great beer to celebrate the holidays and Festivus.

4.2/5  rDev n/a

Served in a standard pint glass, with a two finger dark grey-brown head. Color is black, with deep mahogany highlights when held into the lights. The head has great retention, and while starting out a bit molten and chunky, it settles down into a very creamy cap that has excellent staying power and leaves tons of lacing.

The nose on this is heaven...I'm such a sucker for intense coffee beers. I get dark and milk chocolate and strong coffee notes. A light roasted malt character is detectable in the background, but there is no doubt that this is all about the coffee and chocolate.

The taste is sort of a disappointment. I was expecting something thicker and more coffee flavored, but thats not what I got. The coffee flavors and the chocolate take a backseat to the roasted malts, which are actually very bitter. I wish the chocolate and coffee were more assertive in the taste. Still a great tasting beer, but it didn't blow me away like the nose did.

Lighter than I expected it would be, but very smooth and creamy. Easy drinking and very enjoyable.

I know Town Hall knows there beer, but this one was served way way too cold. If they dont raise the temps on this one, I would suggest letting it sit a good ten to fifteen minutes before fully enjoying it to make sure you get as much coffee and chocolate and roasted malt as possible. A very solid beer and I'm glad I ordered this.

4.22/5  rDev n/a

Served in a pint glass.

Served with almost a finger of tan head with decent retention. Hardly any lace left. Color is a dark black.

Aroma: milk chocolate and lots of it. Some coffee notes with a roasted scent to it. Not a lot going on here but pretty good.

Taste: wow this is awesome. It is like drinking fancy powdered chocolate. Lots of rich cocoa notes. Nice amount of coffee. A very silky beer. Very good.

Mouthfeel: smooth, silky, and creamy. Full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends clean and malty.

Overall this is a hard core desert beer and is quite tasty. I am on a full stomach so this is drinking slow, bit I am enjoying it. I highly recommend.

4.43/5  rDev n/a

Pour is dark brown, small light tan head, no lacing. Come to think of it, I rarely get lacing from any Town Hall brew other than from growlers. Maybe it has something to do with how they clean their glasses. But I digress... Big chocolate aroma, but not the fake tootsie roll variety, more like powdered chocolate milk mix. Light coffee in the background when it's cold but really starts to come out nicely as it warms. Same as with the aroma, flavor is chocolate is all up front when it's cold, like ice cold chocolate milk mixed with a nice dose of caramel and roasted malts. Coffee isn't as present as I usually like in my coffee beers, but it does come out nicely with warmth creating a very mocha-like experience. Mouthfeel is medium, light carbonation. A little more body and this thing would be world-class. Great brew and wish I could pick up growlers on Sundays.

Festivus 2009 from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.