2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bright Spot Golden Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Bright Spot Golden AleBright Spot Golden Ale

good

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 06-22-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 17 | Reviews: 17
Ragingbull

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

This review was done some time ago and I am typing from my notes.

Dark gold color with a light head. The nose is mildly hoppy and with strong presence of grain, but not in an obnoxious way. Grain and malt are very pronounced in the flavor in a wheat and/or bread type of way. Relatively clean finish with some aftertaste as it dries. Lighter than I normally drink, so I did my best to be fair as to "style."

05-03-2009 19:40:37 | More by Ragingbull
aaronh

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

This is a very good session ale. Appearance is pale gold topped by a white head. Aroma is uneventful - maybe just a touch of malt in there. The flavor is great. A hint of bitterness is followed by a great malt note with just a hint of sweetness. The beer finishes rather dry and clean, which is nice with such a clean malt note in the finish. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is very good because the beer finishes clean but still has a great flavor to bring you back for anther sip. This beer is evidence of the overall solid quality of the offerings from Town Hall.

04-03-2007 03:40:44 | More by aaronh
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Originally reviewed on December 2, 2005. On tap at the brewpub. Clear clean yellow tinted orange, topped with a white head. Dusty sweet malt and some clean ester notes, backed with a hint of fruit and a little grain. Palate is woody and a tinge sour. Meh.

11-29-2006 01:31:21 | More by CharlesDarwin
beckje01

1.7/5  rDev -52.2%

I have had other american blondes but this is just not at all what I expected, I may be way off base here if I am feel free to beermail me.

A- Dark gold 1/8 inch head looks very nice and very still

S- Some malt and hops smells nice every thing seems balenced.

T- Malty very off ballence and I was left with the taste of popcorn hulls in my mouth after a drink. Totally unsettling and not what I expected.

M- Just average.

D- Hard to dink just too much after taste and I couldn't finish my pint I got through a little over half to give it a good try but it just wasn't what I think a Blonde Ale should be. (Once agin beer mail me if I am wrong on what the Blonde Ale style is like and I will gladly remove this review)

07-07-2006 00:40:43 | More by beckje01
ccs

New Hampshire

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Very attractive gold with little head. Mellow, but tasty golden ale--exactly what I was expecting. I got exactly what I expected from a golden. Smells slightly sweet, with faint hops, tastes malty, sweet, and "non-threatening" as my husband would say. I could see people who were into BMC thinking that it was okay and not finding it offensive, but also those into good beer liking it too. I enjoyed it.

07-06-2006 23:23:50 | More by ccs
rhoadsrage

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer had a crystal clear warm yellow body with an off-white heat that is thick and a very gentle carbonation.

S- The smell of dry pale malt was followed by a sweet honey note and a faint sweet ice tea finish.

T- The taste of fresh dry pale malt had a hint of biscuit malt which was followed by and ice tea flavor. There was a pronounced noble hop bitterness that stayed on the tongue after each sip.

M- This beer had a medium mouthfeel with a light fizz texture.

D- This beer had a dry malt flavor but the ice tea notes were a bit odd causing the hops flavor to come after the sip. The pale malt and noble hops didn’t make a very exciting combination.

06-08-2006 18:05:55 | More by rhoadsrage
CultureJamMN

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours a straw color, leaning towards golden. Certainly not the sickly straw color of macro lager. Head is modest, but it retains nicely. Lacing is minimal and stringy, but not really unpleasant.

Not overpowering on aroma, but what is there is pleasant. Fruity, with malt, and a suggestion of hops. I agree with a previous review that says you linger while inhaling, and I'm not really sure why.

The taste is very pleasant an approachable. Fruity, with good malts. The hops are there, but in the background, not really asserting themselves, which is fantastic. Finishes clean and almost a little dry.

In the mouth it is very inobtrusive. Substantial enough to know you're drinking beer, but not much more than that.

This is a great example of a session beer. I'll be back to pick up a growler of this come spring. This is the perfect beer for sitting outside on the west bank in June waiting for a Twins game.

01-25-2006 17:54:08 | More by CultureJamMN
hanco005

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

The first of two growlers from MTH I finished this weekend...

A--Yellowish orange, 1/2 inch of foamy head kept the lacing very well as I drank the glass (ok...glasses: it is growler after all)

S--sweet and hoppy, not too fragrant

T—a little bitter, hoppy and a little fruity; light and mild and a little tart; the balance is very nice; the more I drink, the better it gets.

M—smooth and mellow and dry

D—a great session beer; I could easily drink 4 or 5…finished the growler in about 1 ½ hours.

I really liked this one…and boy, I sure love growlers!

Serving type: growler

01-09-2006 03:24:30 | More by hanco005
blitheringidiot

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Crystaline gold topped with a statuesque 1/2" khaki headcap.

Dose of grasy hay aroma and a floral bouquet with a canteloupe note all the way.

First swigs: Plain pasta grain balanced with a pecan hint. Light balance that is slightly more malty than hoppy. Sweet leafy caramel grain and subdued hops. Nutty layer of waffles and fruit.

Mouthfeel is gentle and light to medium body.

Last swigs: All grain stands out with a grasy grain waffle.

01-09-2006 00:02:03 | More by blitheringidiot
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Your basic golden ale. Straw yellow in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. Fairly restrained on the nose... perhaps a bit of mild hops creeping in. Flavor wise, it's got a light malty taste with the slightest bit of hop presence. Creamy mouthfeel. Not really a blockbuster in any way, but sometimes simple can be good.

08-25-2005 20:29:19 | More by fisherman34
brownbottlehall

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Visited the Town Hall Brewery on a lazy Sunday afternoon, a great outdoor seating arrangement to watch the day go by. Bright Spot has a subtle smooth fruity flavor and not in the least bit bitter. It leaves a slight dry crisp taste in your mouth that makes you want to pick up the glass again after you just took a sip. A solid brew.

06-10-2005 22:05:05 | More by brownbottlehall
tavernjef

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

On-Tap at the brewpub: Bright pale gold color with a solid but smallish cap of off-white creamy foam. Lacing sticks in mininal strings and spots. Aroma is soft yet fairly fresh with a fruity malt and a lighter hoppyness thats a bit like dry grass or leaves. Flavors are good; light, crisp, mild tones, sorta sweet with a unique malt flavor of ripe fruit taking on some green grape action and touches of lemon. Almost tangy, that part stays mild enough to let in some nice little hop notes of herbal grasses. Sweet and quick overall with a lighter medium body thats slightly sharp and tangy. Kinda drys off some as it goes. A subtle little drinker thats approachable and goes down with ease. This would make for a nice warm weather brew.

01-26-2005 22:32:12 | More by tavernjef
jwilli7122

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%

gold colored, very clear. little head.
not a whole lot of distinguishable smell, and really, not a whole lot of distinguishable taste either. I would've give this a lower score for taste, except that I could find absolutely nothing offensive about it. It's almost like a pale lager, except with no sourness or corny sweetness. hmmm...what would be left? a tiny bit of bready malt and a pinch of hops...this, i guess. in this beer's defense- i had this AFTER the big ticket, black water stout, and masala mama...so it may have been given some unjust competition. perhaps it would be more fair for me to review this before my taste buds have been assaulted by hops and my senses dulled by alchohol, but... I don't think I will. There are too many better choices.

03-21-2004 08:42:20 | More by jwilli7122
TastyTaste

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was my least favorite beer of the ones I sampled at TH. Plain clear gold color, with a white head, this beer didn't have enough flavor to get my tastebuds going. A little malt, a little hops, but nothing very intruguing. Still a very light, crisp, above average offering.

12-27-2003 06:42:16 | More by TastyTaste
ADR

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Palish light yellow appearance with a head of 1/2 an inch in height and a trace of yellowish cast. Laces in short vertical strings. Aroma is dryish, crackly straw and grape. Overall, the flavor struck me as sparse and tight, a tart fruit sense with minimal sweetness. Finishes with diminished mouthfeel and more hop assertion. Needs more maltiness for me, a little too far gone to the astringent side of things. An easy to toss back session beer in a number of aspects.

10-13-2003 14:54:39 | More by ADR
Bighuge

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Pale straw color. Good sized ivory white head with good staying power. Lacing is spotty, but nice. Aroma of hay, fruit, herbal hops and soft malts. Body is about medium. Flavors are nice. This is a great tasting golden ale. Great gentle maltiness....almost pilsner like. Nice yeasty flavor. Dry straw contrasts with a subtle fruitiness. A slight lemon tang. Some flowery hop notes and a nice dry finish. This is one quaffable fresh tasting brew.

10-07-2003 02:01:08 | More by Bighuge
feloniousmonk

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

The TownHall Brewery has existed for 6 years, but I shied away from it until last year, for reasons only my therapist must know, and tonight, for the first time, I tried their lightest, easiest-going ale, Bright Spot. It's logo is a spotlight, perhaps an homage to the Southern Theater, around the corner, or to the space's former occupant, Dudley Rigg's Improv, site of Minneapolis' first espresso machine back in the '50's, or maybe the Theater in The Round down the road, or the Mixed Blood further down, or the U of M's Rarig Theater just a little further down apiece...
In any case, I must say, a mistake was made. Why did I waver from consuming this brew? It's much more flavorful than I ever imagined!
Appearance: a clear, bright golden color, short head.

Aroma: fruity (peach, apricot), sweet, lively, one I felt the need to linger over.
Blast of hops, soon mellowing, then dominated by fruity, apricotty flavor.
Light, but very tasty. Malt is sufficient, hops small, but unmissed. You want a tasty, yummy, fruity pale ale, this is it. I've had "apricot ales" before, and this is one that doesn't advertise it, but delivers more than you bargain for. I'll be back for more. I expected a mild ale, and received much more!

06-22-2003 21:59:14 | More by feloniousmonk