Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 1,252 | Reviews: 664
Reviews by Dantes:
4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Package: 64 oz. screwtop Town Hall growler. Dated best by 8/23 (7 days from fill date I believe) and consumed 8/20 and 8/21.

Cost: Acquired via trade. Thanks Truthbrew, I still owe you!

Presentation: Shaker pint at ~50º

Appearance: Promised great things. Poured a lovely ruddy, orange-amber. Reminded me quite a bit of Celebration. The 2" ivory head was supertight and sticky. If I hadn’t been warned, it would have overflowed the lip. Very fine, active carbonation suffused the body, which was hazy with fine particles in suspension. Fine, heavy lace.

Smell: Begins to fulfill the appearance’s promise. Strongly piney, with some citrus and floral top notes. Still, not overwhelmingly astringent or sharp. I don’t get much malt or toastiness in the nose.

Taste: The long-awaited moment! My first impression is that this beer is remarkably sweet (not in a cloying way) and smooth. Then the hops jump out, tingling the palate and tongue, almost like it’s mentholated. This seduces first and bites second. The malts, not apparent at first in the nose, make their presence felt here. They provide just the roundness that the hops need to really sing. It's interesting to me that some people think this is super-hoppy and others say it's not as hopped as some monster IPA's. I think this dichotomy comes from the phenomenal balance this beer has. I think this is as hoppy as most West Coasters, but integrates them better than most. As mentioned, there’s a caramel sweetness, along with some toastiness and some nutty flavors (and some nice nutskin bitterness). Again, comparisons to Celebration come to mind. This isn’t “just” an IPA, it shares the rare roundness of early Brutal Bitter and Celebration. There’s some British winter warmer lurking here. It blows me away that this is “only” ~6% ABV. It’s not that its “alcoholy,” but that it’s more warming and full than that ABV suggests. Finishes with a nice, dry, bitter snap and with medium length.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and well-carbonated with a medium to full body, especially for an IPA.

Drinkability: Super-drinkability. I could see myself drinking way too much money away if I lived in MN (which I almost did). Right in that sweet-spot for a session-beer.

Backwash: I’ll admit it, I had a little schadenfreude with this beer; I almost wanted it to not be as good as advertised. Could anything live up to the hype? Most beers in my experience don’t. I was wrong. Although this is not the perfect beer, it’s pretty close. Still, there are some other more readily available beers that come close: Racer 5, Pipkin Brutal Bitter, and most of all Celebration. To me, while they wouldn’t be mistaken for each other side by side, Celebration and MM seem as if they were created by two people shooting for a similar goal. In fact, it seems as if MM were created by a very talented brewer attempting to improve upon Celebration, and has done so. Masala Mama is smoother, more well-balanced, and better drinking. A work of art.

Appearance – This was one of the most beautiful beers that I have ever seen. The color is a perfect, dark hazy, mysterious orange. The head is thick, not fluffy. It looks like you could stand a spoon up in it. It showed great retention and left some terrific lacing on the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell – This is a hop-lover’s dream. The profile is very complex. The floral notes are very pleasant and there is a small hint of citrus. But the big bopper here is the thick pine resin. It jumps across the room with sharpness and distinction.

Taste – Oh, yeah. Forget the hype; this is the real deal. The awesome malt base, which I totally missed at the nose, came out wonderfully on the tongue. The toasted malt, rich toffee, and chewy caramel flavors are so smooth they just melt in your mouth.

Not to be outdone, the hops are large and in charge. They mate perfectly with the malty base. The hop profile is very complex and harmonious. This one has it all.

Mouthfeel – Rich, thick, chewy, and much bigger than medium-bodied but not full, this one has a finishing dryness that will please the IPA lover to death.

Drinkability – I don’t think I’ve ever had a smoother, tastier, more enjoyable IPA than this guy right here. Having said that, I actually am exercising the self-discipline needed to save half this growler for a fellow BA. With that kind of willpower I should be bending spoons.

Comments – I can’t thank feloniousmonk enough for sending me this crown jewel of Minnesota.

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%

Many thanks to BA JeffKrenner who was kind enough to bring a growler of Masala Mama to Madison on a recent visit. I believe the growler was filled 6-23-07. It was consumed on 6-29-07. The label seemed to indicate that it was good until 7-2-07. This was the first time I had seem a best before date on a growler.

Pours into my 1960s Vintage Watney Mann World Cup stemmed glass a beautiful shade of deep orange copper with brilliant carbonation streams and a thick off white head. Retention was very good.

Aroma is surprisingly balanced. Grapefruit, grapefruit, and ever more grapefruit fume from the liquid but equally present is sweet, lightly toasted bread. Fairly juicy with some resin, though much less then I expected (perhaps because this growler is nearly one week old).

Juicy grapefruit and hints of orange and resin come through nicely in the flavor. Here again we find perfect balance between malt and hops. Bitterness is of course present but it is much more subdued then expect and even where present, it is balanced well by sweet breads. Peach fuzz comes through after some warming. Hints of marmalade too. Plenty of caramel. Resin flavor increases several fold in the moderately dry finish as the beer nears 55 degrees or so. Luscious and juicy mouthfeel. Rather full. Very drinkable.

Not quite what I was expecting. More ESB like then American IPA like as far as I’m concerned. This could potentially be a product of coming out of a 5 or 6 day old growler but I don’t think that it is. Will have to try on tap sometime soon and compare.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in a pint glass on cask at the brewpub

The beer was freshly poured as it came to our table evident by the cascading bubble action still happening in the glass. It was a crystal clear orange color with a frothy off white head that kept its position throughout the whole pint. Nice layers of lacing coated the glass as well. The whole appearance really impressed me.

The smell was loaded with orange and grapefruit. It was heavy, fresh, and juicy. The taste was very much the same with the exception of an introduction of the right amount of bready malt to slightly balance the bitterness. This is my first IPA on cask and I'm not sure if its the beer, the oxygen or the low carbonation but it is the smoothest bitterness and most easy drinking silky smooth beer. Up front is is juicy fresh citrus fruit that seemingly glide down your throat and as soon as it's gone you find yourself taking another sip. Just a great well rounded IPA.

I visited the brewpub exclusively to have this beer which I had heard so much about. It lived up to my expectation and was probably the best IPA experience I've had so far. Drinking this beer on cask in front of giant windows that peered into the mash tun and boil kettle that birthed this brew just added to the experience.

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

Enjoyed at Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis, MN. Pours a dark gold body with a fluffy, off-white head. Aroma was of spicy floral hops. This beer was full bodied with spicy carbonation. The flavors boasted lots of nutty malts and a ton of hops that was a bit astringent tasting. My friend Bob got it as well, but on cask. The color was a bit darker with thousands of tiny bubbles making up the foam, like a nitro stout would have. Hop flavors were a bit muted from the original version, and it had this great creamy mouthfeel. I recommend the cask version over the regular version.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

From a growler (best by Dec 12, consumed Dec 7 and 8), pours a nice orange-copper color. Smells of all sorts of fruits, namely peach and citrus. I love the taste. It's fairly bitter, but not so much that it gets in the way of the great taste. There's some caramelly/biscuit-like malt there, and it just explodes with fruity flavors, such as orange and peach.

Overall, this is a delightful IPA. Very flavorful, but not overwhelmingly so. A fine brew all around.

Second day: I couldn't finish the growler, so I'm finishing it the next day. It's actually still very good. There's a nice hiss when I open it, and the beer itself, while having lost a bit of carbonation, is still highly flavorful.
---
3/20/05: Just updating a bit. I had a growler of this last night, and it was much better than the last one. Perhaps my pallete has grown since then, or maybe I got a fresher growler, but whatever it was, I have to conclude that this is one fabulous brew. All the pieces come together perfectly to create a brew that, while it's not the absolute best beer in the world, is one of the most well constructed beers I've had to date.

One final thought: I'm so glad I live in the Twin Cities metropolitan area!

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Ahhh...what could be better to come home to after a long day at work than a fresh growler of the infamous Masala Mama sitting on your doorstep. Pours from the growler a brilliant shade of reddish orange with a fluffly, sticky mountain of head...as it falls it leaves wonderful intricate patchy lacing on the side of my glass. My mouth is watering already. As I pick up my glass and bring it to my nose I'm instantly hit by a wave of ripe, succulent hop aromas. Rich, resiny grapefruit, peach, pineapple, mango and various other citrus fruits mix with a hint of pine sap. Sweet candy caramel maltiness mixes into my make this smell like a big citrusy hop candy. Sit....smell...repeat incessantly.

First sip brings a smooth, rush of lupulin laden hoppiness. Massive citrus tones rush over my tongue along with a hint of herbal pine. A sweet, mellow caramel, bready maltiness seems to have a symbiotic relationship to the hops. The sweetness comes first and finishes off with just the right amount of bitterness on the back of the palate. Incredibly flavorful...I get hints of all the citrus fruits I mentioned above with each sip. Nothing less than a lovingly made IPA...exceptionally balanced and simply a delight to all lovers of the hops.

Silken smooth, creamy mouthfeel that has just enough carbonation...I could nearly mistake this for being off cask. Each sip I take makes me want to take another and so on. Man..I would be drinking this all the time if I had access to it...an all day drinkable IPA. Sometimes I think I get caught up in the double IPA's and pushing the envelope...however then I come across a brew like this that uses elegance, balance and obvious brewing skills to create one of the best IPA's that has yet to touch my lips. I might shed a tear when this growler is empty....you Minnesota folks are quite lucky to have easy access to this brew. Maybe one day they will bottle it...until then I must thank feloniousmonk for the opportunity.

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

Got this from Faro on his crosscountry beer road trip while he was in Atlanta. We had arranged a trade and he happened to have a couple growlers of this and I was lucky enough to talk him out of one.

Growler opened with a little hiss, still poured with a good 1-1/2" head of loose bubbles. Clear apricot, orange body. Lots of carbonation bubbles rise to the surface. Forms a nice sheet of lace on the glass as I work on finishing this one off. Good looking brew overall.

Strong aroma. Raw pine needles, tangerine rinds, and some flowery sweetness come through. Some sweet biscuity malts fight through the dominant hops. Good stuff, I could smell this all day long, each sniff brings out new combinations.

Taste is starkly different than the aroma. Tons of herbal hops pound the mouth, lots of straw and some grapefruit rinds. Finishes with some piney resin. Biscuity malts come in again to try to balance it all out. This IPA flavor profile is what I really like, more so than the fruity, flowery tasting ones. This is quite the IPA when it comes to bitterness, too. Possibly too much for the style. The only real fault is that it is possibly a bit unbalanced though.

Decent medium bodied brew for the style. Coats the mouth well and the bitterness just lingers. Carbonation level is about perfect.

This one is really easy to put down. The mouthfeel and carbonation levels are about perfect. The aroma and taste are there too making me want more. The only downfall is that the flavor is a bit unbalanced. Good stuff though, glad I finally got a chance to try it out. Three more pints to go...

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

At the brewpub

A - Pours clear copper with one finger of light brown head. Head has okay retention and leaves a fairly small amount of lacing.

S - pine and citrus, with some other tropicals thrown in. Also a good amount of caramel malt. Quite good overall.

T - Similar to smell. Pungent pine and citrus rind. A few floral flavors and a bit of tropical fruit. There is definitely a nice malt presence to balance things out, but the hop bitterness persists all the way through. Nice to get so much flavor from a modest abv IPA.

M -medium mouthfeel. A bit lighter than most IPAs. Nice lingering bitterness.

O - Very good all the way through. Glad I got to try this.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Go ahead. Be skeptical. Yeah, it is that good.

Stunning to look at. Medium amber with a pillowy, fluffy white head that laces all the way down. If someone ever asks what an IPA should look like, point at a picture of this one. Aroma of citric, grapefruity hops over a background of honey, bread, and a whiff of sweet tea.

Ever hear the Big Head Todd song "Bittersweet Surrender?" Reminds me of this beer. I cannot find a fault and I'm on my third pint. Starts out with this insanely clean yet bitter hop bite, just full of juicy, fresh floral and citrus rind hoppiness. Then a tea-with-honey maltiness comes in to balance the hops. The longer it sits on the palate a yeasty breadiness comes in as a background note. Stellar finish - lingering hop oil on the tongue, slightly caramelly malt all over the rest of the mouth, and an incredible clean fresh lingering bittersweet tea-and hops flavor. Perfection. I could not ask for more form an IPA. Mouthfeel is moderate and entirely appropriate for the alcohol content.

Drinkability? They don't make growlers big enough. Minnesota needs to pass a law allowing the use of carboys for growlers for this beer.

:bow: to BA JeffKrenner for the growler. I owe ya big time for this one guy.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer pours a nice golden with a frothy head and the smell of citrus stands out right away. It was so much like orange juice I just kept smelling it to take it in. The taste was lots of citrusy hops but it wasn't as balanced as I would have liked it to have been. Nevertheless it was a joy to drink.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Presentation: ½ gallon growler. A big thanks to tavernjef for the sample. Nice psst when I popped the cap.

Appearance: Excellent frothing, rocky and bubbly. The stickage factor is up there, the head clings most of the way down the glass. Sunset amber hue, a bit darker than I expect for an American brewed IPA.

Smell: Flowery and oily hop all over the nose.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Super hops, old school micro style with a raw bitterness. There is something missing, I found it hard to focus on the maltiness even in a balancing sense. Every time the malt tries to come though the hops blur it out of the way. Slight alcohol and nutty yeast in the back. Minty, vaguely piney and with a slather of citric peel in the hop flavor. The long road of bitter hops leaves the palate only able to taste hops.

Drinkability & Notes: This one brings back memories of the Fort Hill Brewpub in Boston. Sadly they we one of the first victims of the BIG DIG as far as restaurant closings. I remember they had a super hoppy red ale … that is what it was called “red ale” nothing earth shattering but fresh, drinkable with a nice hoppiness to it. I’d certainly sit down again with this beer for the night as I am right now.

Note after the second pint: The after taste is actually annoying ... the hop character does not really impress me all that much.

4.06/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours copper with a creamy whipped off white head. Think lace left down my glass. Really big aroma of pine and grapefruit. A little bit milder flavor that the nose would indicate. Still great pine/grapefruit flavors along with some nice Munich-ish malt character. Medium body. A little oily. The finish wants to be sweet, but is smacked down to size by an enjoyable bitterness. Wow.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

1/2 Gallon Growler. Received Friday, Novemeber 5th. Opened Sunday, November 7th. Finished Tuesday, November 9th. "Enjoy By 11-11" sticker on the back of the growler. (Would have been consumed earlier if it wasn't for a little get together the Bro's threw in Boston that Saturday).

Much thanks to Feloniousmonk for the growler and ending my want to try this esteemed brew.

Amber, hints of blood red when held up to the light. Huge, frothy, sticky head that leaves it's lacy trail all the way down the glass.

Smells of oily hops and dandelions.

Huge sweet hops taste. Some pine and caramel flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium body, rich, creamy and a bit chewy. An enjoyable drinking experience.

So smooth and easy to drink, I'm surprised the growler lasted as long as it did. Well deserving of it's rank among the Best of BA. This one exceeded my alreay sky high expectations.

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Big thanks to tavernjef for a growler of this rare sighting in my neck of the woods.
Pours a dark copper color with a full finger of bright white head...very foamy, very attractive. Lacing is quite thick and has exceptional cling.
Aroma is nothing overpowering, but very nice...bitter hops in the nose along w/ carmelized malt to balance it out.
The taste is really where this beer shines...tons of fruity hops up front w/ a boat load of malts to back it up. This has to be one of the most well balanced IPA's I have ever tried.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is perfect...even w/ this puppy filled two weeks ago.
I am so glad I got the chance to try this brew...it would be in constant rotation if it was available in my area.
Drinkability is needless to say through the roof...this growler is almost gone and I'm already bummin'.
Highly recommend to all fans of the IPA.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a pint glass at thebrewery:

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, moderate carbonation, golden-brown in color, clear

Smell: tangerine, citrus, frsh hop--a really amazingly fresh smell

Taste: The big citrus, orange and tangerine flavors burst in the start followed by a touch of pine and light caramel backbone

Mouthfeel: bitter but not overly so,very dry end, medium carbonation, medium bodied

Overall: Liked this one a lot. Not sure if it is my top 50 but a very good beer and worthy of hype. I love the smell and the citrus here. I would get this again.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Enjoyed on cask.

Pours a magnificent dark orange color with an amazing creamy head. The lacing left little rings all the way around the glass, never seen lacing like that, it was a sight to see. Smell had hints of biscuit and caramel, but of course they were hidden behind a vast array of strong citrus hoppiness. Taste was very good as well and even had a bit of a cream like flavor mixed with the citrus and pine. Mouthfeel was full bodied and ridiculously smooth, this could be drank all day if you wanted, this was truly a great experience.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

Big thanks to Exiled for sharing this growler. This has been on my wants for a long time.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the candy hops, orange citrus, pine and biscuit malt. A very well balanced smelling IPA.

The flavor is similar, but not quite as good as the aroma. I get a lot of orange and brown sugar notes, as well as some toffee. Low to medium bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Glad I got to try this one.

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

Please allow me to boost this fantastic beer up the charts of the BA Top 50...

I was lucky enough to be able to visit fellow BA AKSmokedPorter this past weekend and he was gracious enough to save the growler he got from feloniousmonk until I arrived. Two small swingtops made their way back to Virginia and I eagerly tapped these two vessels to personally experience this nectar of the (beer) gods.

This lovely brew poured a truly wonderful baked orange color with just a trace of lacing off-white head. The aromas were what you would sense when standing in a pine forest after a heavy rain...thick and weighty on the nostrils, these pine cones wedge themselves into every nook and cranny of you nasal passges to give you a awesome wake-up call. But who knew that grapefruits grew on pine trees? A fresh and brisk grapefruit spray squirts forth from this glass and catches you in the eyes and nose, coating the pine cones in a dreamy mix of hoppy beauty.

Flavor is over the top. There is a honey sweetness that builds the foundation for what will be a glorious ride across your palate. On top of that are about 40 bushels of sweet, fresh Georgia peaches. An amazing addition to the flavor profile. Cast in with these two is some pine sap and grapefruit juice. Bitterness is there, but in moderate levels, as it is balanced nicely by a doughy malt sweetness. Finish is sweet and dry, with another taste of grapefruit right at the end.

Mouthfeel is medium, no fizz in this one...and coating of the palate is fantastic.

Drinkability? Yes. Very balanced, yet each flavor is distinct and plays a vital role in making this beer what it is. It reminds me so much of an Imperial IPA, yet at 5.9% ABV, this is a beer you could shack up with for the whole night, and the next, and the next...

Note: Make sure you let this bad boy warm up quite a bit before you drink this. It was much better and really brought out the complexities of a stellar beer-drinking experience.

To close, I'd like to quote St. Victor from a Monty Python skit:

"This...is fantastic! Oh....this is terrific!"

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to darkerthebetter for bringing a growler home with him from Minnesota to share while watching the Eagles beat the Giants. This is the 3rd time I have had this brew and it is always top notch. Nice color for a IPA with a simple hops nose. Very tasty in flavor and extremely well balanced. The thing about this beer is how easy it is to drink and its smooth mouthfeel.

Cheers.

4.11/5  rDev -5.3%

Finally made it to Town Hall! And they have Masala Mama on cask!

Serving glass: Cask pour into Pint Glass.

Appearance: Hazy reddish-orange, thin head but considerable lacing. Love the way the cask pour looks as it settles, which took a couple minutes.

Smell: Citrus, pine and bitterness. Very slight malt presence, but not much.

Taste: Similar to smell - citrus, pine and very bitter. Small malt presence leading to a soft sweet counterbalance. However, the malts don't provide too much balance, this is an especially bitter IPA.

Feel: Expected feel for a cask beer, which is wonderful. Very, very dry.

Drinkability: Strong drinkability due to how smooth it is, but the persistant bitterness limits my intake.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Finally got to try the Masala Mama on tap, at the source. Glad to say that this beer does not disappoint.

A: Poured clean out of the tap with a 2-finger, feathery head. Deep coppery, amber color with mild effervescence. Just inviting to look at.

S: Hops, hops and then more hops! Incredibly enticing smell.

T: For a hophead's delight, this beer was surprisingly balanced. Loads of hops up front, but the slight caramel flavor of the malt played a nice point-counterpoint. Well done!

M: Fully coated the palate and left me wishing for more.

Overall, this is just a fantastic beer. A pleasure to drink and savor every mouthful. The brewpub wasn't half bad either. I suggest the Black and Blue Burger (Black Angus, Blue cheese); accompanied the brew quiet well. The entire trip to MN was worth it for this beer!

4.44/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to mothman for this growler!

Poured into my beloved Sebago Brewing tulip.

A: Pours a clear medium copper with red/orange highlights.
S: Inviting aromatic piney hops with tropical and bigger caramel malt notes.
T: Complex and full flavored! Very nicely balanced hops and malts.
Tastes sweet and malty at first taste and then transitions to a nice dry bitter finish of dominant hop resin.
M: Smooth, creamy with soft carbonation and a sticky finish.
D: This is exactly what I was looking for and could drink it all day. Absolutely excellent & perfect example of a well thought out and balanced IPA. Very Victory Hop Devil-ish, I love it!

I'll be raving about this one for a long, long time. Nice pic Ben, right on point.

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance is hazy orange with a frothy and tight off-white head that lingers for the duration. Aroma is bursting with pine and citrus, maybe a little bit of mint and woods. Malt is definately taking a back seat in the aroma for the hops to shine through. Taste has bursting flavors of hop and more hops with a strong bitterness right up front. Malt flavors of apricot and marmalade are again taking a back seat to all the hops. Medium mouthfeel and carbonation help this beer but the hop bitterness is fairly harsh bordering on acidic. Don't get me wrong, this is a wonderfully flavorful beer if your a hop addict. I only prefer a bit more malt balance and a little less harshness in the hop flavor and bitterness.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Growler

Thanks for sending this my way, yamar68!

A darker than anticipated IPA. This is kind of a light copper or very dark amber with a somewhat large, quite persistent near-white head. Lined lacing down the glass.

This smelled fantastic as soon as I twisted off the top of the growler. Strangely, it didn't seem to have a similar punch when I stoke my nose down inside a full glass of this beer. Definite citrus notes emerge, however, which are welcome and in abundance. There's also definite caramel sweetness and some light toasted biscuit aroma as well. A well balanced aroma, but certainly not as hop-forward as some of my San Diego favorites.

The flavor follows the aroma very similarly. Well balanced, somewhat bitter, and incredibly drinkable. Citrus (grapefruit mainly), sweet, complementary caramels, and lightly toasted biscuit.

Medium to near full in body with moderate carbonation.

A long-time want checked off the list! I'm so glad I got to try this one!

to view more.