Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros

Appearance – This was one of the most beautiful beers that I have ever seen. The color is a perfect, dark hazy, mysterious orange. The head is thick, not fluffy. It looks like you could stand a spoon up in it. It showed great retention and left some terrific lacing on the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell – This is a hop-lover’s dream. The profile is very complex. The floral notes are very pleasant and there is a small hint of citrus. But the big bopper here is the thick pine resin. It jumps across the room with sharpness and distinction.

Taste – Oh, yeah. Forget the hype; this is the real deal. The awesome malt base, which I totally missed at the nose, came out wonderfully on the tongue. The toasted malt, rich toffee, and chewy caramel flavors are so smooth they just melt in your mouth.

Not to be outdone, the hops are large and in charge. They mate perfectly with the malty base. The hop profile is very complex and harmonious. This one has it all.

Mouthfeel – Rich, thick, chewy, and much bigger than medium-bodied but not full, this one has a finishing dryness that will please the IPA lover to death.

Drinkability – I don’t think I’ve ever had a smoother, tastier, more enjoyable IPA than this guy right here. Having said that, I actually am exercising the self-discipline needed to save half this growler for a fellow BA. With that kind of willpower I should be bending spoons.

Comments – I can’t thank feloniousmonk enough for sending me this crown jewel of Minnesota.

RoyalT, Jul 03, 2004

newk340, Feb 04, 2012

rwilde, Nov 20, 2011
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Nov 19, 2011

richkrull, Nov 16, 2011

brewnic, Dec 15, 2011

kkrez, Nov 14, 2011

djschnabel, Dec 27, 2011

After a thorough palette cleansing, it is time to crack the growler of this legendary ale.

Poured into my trust Arrogant Bastard glass, I see a lovely dark copper color with a nice sized, off white head. I would say this is one of the darker IPAs I've had the pleasure of sampling.

The aroma of this bad boy is pure heaven in a glass. Piney hops run wild and chasing them is a weak, orange-like citrus. Some nice caramel malt acts as a foundation to bring together all the parts of this wonderful scent. They should make cologne that smells like this.

To be honest, I feared the first sip on the chance that it wouldn't be all I dreamed. Fortunately, it was. The body is somewhere between medium and full but is so smooth and so chewy. The flavor begins with a nice big hoppy bitterness that moves its way into the piney region, just like the aroma. As it progresses a bit of grapefruit flavor comes along and then the caramel malt makes an appearance just to keep everything under control, but never takes away from the performance the hops put on. The end of each swallow leaves a wonderful bitter/citrus aftertaste that lasts until the next sip.

If you can't tell, I love this beer. This is my second all "5" beer, and I would love to score it higher. The generosity of BA and all around gentleman Feloniousmonk made this sampling possible, so Al, thank you again and again. If I lived in Minnesota, I would be hard pressed to buy anything else.

Southernbrew, Mar 08, 2005

stpjames, Jul 24, 2013

DakotaJim, Dec 10, 2011

huuvola, Nov 16, 2011

FreshmanPour77, Nov 28, 2011

IllHaveAnother1, Nov 24, 2011

adhallick, Jun 02, 2013

bwiechmann, Nov 17, 2011

I wish there was an easier way in these reviews to differentiate between the cask, tap and growler versions of this IPA because they are practically different beers!

The cask is served warmer and has a wonderful creamy mouthfeel. The cask serving method tends to mellow out the hop edge, but you can still taste Mike Hoops' complicated hop schedule.

The tap is served cooler and most assuredly has a bracing bitterness and CO2 bite. Here you can play guess that hop in the aroma and taste. I'll tell you there are at least 3 ... maybe it was 4, or was it 5 varieties in there?

The growler is similar to the tap version, but I find it to be much less carbonated and the hops can change and mellow out quite a bit depending on how old your growler is.

This goes for nearly all of Town Hall's beers, but the differences in the IPA is the most dramatic. I'm afraid y'all will just have to come on up here and try all three.

Super Secret Tip: The Cask IPA is so popular that is is almost always on these days.

Super Secret Ninja Tip: If you are coming from afar, the Town Hall is a 30 second stumble from the Holiday Inn Metrodome.

oner0002, Jun 24, 2010

dizztracted, Nov 15, 2011

dgian13, Nov 23, 2011

thegraffix, Aug 05, 2012

surlytwinsfan, Dec 15, 2011

mdwalsh, Nov 29, 2011

splax23, Nov 14, 2011

bstyle, Nov 15, 2011

My first growler! Opened Thanksgiving Day minutes before 3:00PM. No one want's to share it with me (yesss!!). Received in trade Tuesday of this week. It has been calling my name ever since. Kept in the fridge and warmed for about 15 minutes. Poured into my Gavroche mini-tulip.

A - A beautiful bronze/amber. Quite clear with very little head. What head there is is long lasting with very nice lacing. Many streams of tiny bubbles. The only ding against this one is that I expected a firmer, fluffier head. Maybe the travel time has affected it? [edit] As the beer has warmed over the last 20 minutes, the head is much fuller, fluffier and larger. I think I served myself too cold at the first. 4.5 goes to a 5.

S - My sense of smell is somewhat numbed from the aromas of the holiday meal....Turkey pervades the house. Fruity mango/pineapple, but very subdued. The hop presence is hard to get to, but again the house is an olfactory obstacle course today.

T - Exceptional. Much sweeter at the start than I expected. A strong, creamy malt presence is soon overtaken by the hops. Overtaken so quietly that you hardly notice the transition. Very, very well-crafted. [edit] Again, as the beer has warmed the hops have moved to a much more prevalent position.

M - Again, outstanding. Creamy, soft, with very little of the "in your face" hops attack so many craft IPA's exhibit. I am stunned at the nuances this beer displays.

D - Oh yeah....I will have NO problem whatsoever enjoying every drop of this growler myself today. The relatively low ABV will keep me out of trouble at carving time. The sweetness of this beer makes me wish I were closer to the Twin Cities.

A fine beer. Very deserving of the rave reviews it has received. As referenced above, the complex nature and subtle presentation of the various components makes this one truly exceptional. Thank you very much Al, (feloniousmonk) for your generosity.

Happy Thanksgiving!