Join our email list →

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
Minnesota, United States | website

American IPA | 6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 673 | Hads: 1,330
4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Sampled from a 64oz growler on 3/18 with a best before date of 3/22 fresh from the brewery via the felonious one, too who I am now indebted.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear pure copper color with a huge off-white, bubbly head. Leaves thick webbing of lacing all over the glass. Even after time and near the bottom of the growler there is a thin covering of head.

Smell: Grass, hops, hops, and more hops. Fuggles, maybe Centennial, and more that I know, but can't quite separate. Scents of pine and musk with subtle hints of citrus and cloves. A plethora of American hop varieties make this beer come alive. Pure aromatic bliss.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet malt in the beginning. Then the hops smoothly slide in and glide through pine and hops into bitter finish with light hint of citrus. Fantastic and wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, medium body, little carbonation with a sticky finish.

Drinkability: All day, everyday and long, long, long into the night. Hell I'd have this with a spicy omelet for breakfast, in fact I think tomorrow I will.

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

½ gallon growler.

Took home a growler from the brewery...after sampling it again on cask (which still deserves a 5, in my book). The hops are more predominant on-tap, both in aroma and flavor...they really jump around on the tongue. Absolutely yummy.

Not quite as smooth as on cask, but still delicious. Unless you're allergic to hops, you must try this brew...and I personally think it's even worth it if you were..it'd be one helluva way to go.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Please allow me to boost this fantastic beer up the charts of the BA Top 50...

I was lucky enough to be able to visit fellow BA AKSmokedPorter this past weekend and he was gracious enough to save the growler he got from feloniousmonk until I arrived. Two small swingtops made their way back to Virginia and I eagerly tapped these two vessels to personally experience this nectar of the (beer) gods.

This lovely brew poured a truly wonderful baked orange color with just a trace of lacing off-white head. The aromas were what you would sense when standing in a pine forest after a heavy rain...thick and weighty on the nostrils, these pine cones wedge themselves into every nook and cranny of you nasal passges to give you a awesome wake-up call. But who knew that grapefruits grew on pine trees? A fresh and brisk grapefruit spray squirts forth from this glass and catches you in the eyes and nose, coating the pine cones in a dreamy mix of hoppy beauty.

Flavor is over the top. There is a honey sweetness that builds the foundation for what will be a glorious ride across your palate. On top of that are about 40 bushels of sweet, fresh Georgia peaches. An amazing addition to the flavor profile. Cast in with these two is some pine sap and grapefruit juice. Bitterness is there, but in moderate levels, as it is balanced nicely by a doughy malt sweetness. Finish is sweet and dry, with another taste of grapefruit right at the end.

Mouthfeel is medium, no fizz in this one...and coating of the palate is fantastic.

Drinkability? Yes. Very balanced, yet each flavor is distinct and plays a vital role in making this beer what it is. It reminds me so much of an Imperial IPA, yet at 5.9% ABV, this is a beer you could shack up with for the whole night, and the next, and the next...

Note: Make sure you let this bad boy warm up quite a bit before you drink this. It was much better and really brought out the complexities of a stellar beer-drinking experience.

To close, I'd like to quote St. Victor from a Monty Python skit:

"This...is fantastic! Oh....this is terrific!"

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

I've had this brew on-tap, cask-conditioned, and I have a growler in the fridge. Cask-conditioned is undoubtedly the best way to enjoy it.

a - copper color with a moderate sized white head with good retention, lacing is very nice

s - very floral and fruity nose with lots and lots of hops, very strong aroma, the nose screams powerful IPA

t - wow, this is the best-tasting IPA I've had that's not called Dreadnaught, taste is similar to nose, lots of fruity and sweet hoppy bitterness but not overwhelming, cask-conditioned version definitely has a more depth than the regular version in the taste category, the finish is very long and is a wonderful balance of sweetness and bitterness that lasts until the next drink

m - moderate carbonation, the cellar temperature of the cask verson is perfect for this brew even though I usually think of IPAs as being served a bit colder, finish is not overly dry

d - I could (and did last night) sip on this brew all night, amazing depth to the flavor keeps you sipping and ordering more

Quite simply, one of the best beers I've ever had. The regular MM is a wonderful brew, but the cask version is where is exceeds any other other IPA. This brew makes me oh so sad to leave the Twin Cities tomorrow.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Oh Mama...Mama I'm Comin' Home...Yo Mama Didn't Raise no Ugly beers...too many euphemisms to apply to this one. I received a super fresh growler of the Masala Mama courtesy of a trade with Tavernjef, and I am certainly glad to have tried it, and given that I'm most of the way through the growler, I must have liked it...OK enough banter, on to the beer.
Mama poured herself into my glass a scintillating orange copper/color piled high with two fat fingers of persistent off white foam...and we're not talking lacing here, we're talking full length curtains. Aroma is dripping with fresh hops, I picture myself wading through a fresh mown field on the verge of an evergreen forest...was that pine sap I just felt dripping on my shoulder? Taste is a stealthy assault of bitterness at first before blossoming into true hop glory, with myriad flavors of grapefruit, pine, and green grass. All that hop flavor is packed in without being overpowering or astringent. After getting over the hop blitzkrieg imparted in the first wave, a good sweet maltiness becomes apparent with just a hint of biscuit/Victory malt flavor. Finish brings back the bitterness and stays with you as a silent reminder that Mama's always watching. Body is medium to a bit thick for an IPA but the mouthfeel is smooth enough to make you cry for Mama. Flavors and complexity build as the Mama warms a bit, bringing out orchard peaches and other fruity esters. This stuff would be great on a hot summer day or, well any other time you can get it....damn good stuff.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Thank you Faro for sending this to me in a trade. I shared this beer with my wife. Upon opening the growler a very audible pst greated my ears. The beer was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer pours a very lovely clear deep copper coloration. The beer has a two finger biege head that never gives up. Thick sheets of lacing stream down my glass.

Smell: This beer is loaded with piney resin. It isnt to the level of a christmas tree in pineyness but its at least a wreath. This pineyness is married to a generous grapefruit and citrus zest combo. The beer has a hint of caramel maltyness. I swear I get a minty zephyr on the tail end.

Taste: The flavor of this beer delivers on the smell big time. The beer is loaded upfront with lots of grapefruit and pine resiney hops. This gives way to a very pleasing caramel maltyness. The beer finishes on a oily earthy hoppy tone. This is just fantastic!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is a very full bodied IPA. This beer was well balanced. The oily hops made the taste last a long time. The beer is very refreshing. This is overall a very outstanding IPA. I wish I had traded for at least two of them. If this was available locally I would drink this beer often. This is the kind of beer I could drink all day long. Faro- or any other BA who has access to this will almost always have a trade with me.

Once more I would like to thank Faro for the trade. This beer was a birthday present to myself.

Photo of

On tap at Town Hall

I had this about half a year ago and thought it was fantastic. Half way through the first glass out of the growler, I was already wondering when I would get to have it again. Today is the day!

Orange/gold fluid, with just a touch of haze. Large, creamy, ivory colored head.

Hops are first impression. Big citrus and pine. Grapefruit & oranges. Next up is a crackery malt backbone.

Taste more than lives up to the nose. Big hops - citrus of all varieties - grapefruit, lemon and oranges. Sweetness follows, peach and fruits on a biscuity middle. Finish brings you back to a nice lingering hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is just about perfect. Medium body, with medium + carbonation. Dry enough to keep you coming back for more.

Overall, an exceptional IPA. I have drank quite a few of them, and this one remains my personal favorite.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Served from a growler into a Celebrator glass. The color was a darker amber, with a solid white head and excellent lacing. The smell was a nice bouquet of grapefruit and piney hops. The taste was an amazing blend of hoppiness, with piney hops and grapefruit hops, with a bit of a nutty character to it, and somehow the malt managed to keep it balanced, and a welcoming bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel was very resiny, with hop oil left coating the mouth after drinking. As for drinkability, one growler just for myself wouldn't be enough of this one...could drink all day long!!

Thank you very much to WVbeergeek for the sample of this one! Well, all I can say is that the hype was very much true and Masala Mama is the real deal!! With just an amazing hoppiness that somehow manages to remain balanced (this wasn't just hop juice), this is easily the best non-Imperial IPA in the world! All I can say is that I envy the lucky Minneapolis BAs who get to enjoy this on a regular basis. I definitely want to get my hands on this Mama in the future!!

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Got this in a recent trade, wanted to drink it while it's fresh but slowly to savor it so I have been nursing it slowly the past couple days. Thanks again, Brad!

Pours a murky orange with a little bit of head. Granted this growler has already been open from last night so I wasn't expecting big time carbonation and a huge head or anything but it still has a decent one. Enough for me, to be honest.

Smell is a huge hop aroma. Tons of hops come jumping out of my tulip glass and up my nose. They didn't go anywhere. I know it'd still be like this when I opened the growler again tonight because I was welcomed by a big hop aroma. It smells great. Also, some malts can be detected in there and really round out the smell. Is this really only 5.9%? It's hard to believe they got so much aroma out of a beer of this ABV

Taste is excellent. Everything that is in the smell is there. This is basically like taking a blend of hop juice and fermenting it.

As you sip the beer it caresses your throat with a medium body and just enough carbonation. It's great.

Drinkability is through the roof. Delicious hops and lower ABV. Doesn't get much better than this.

Man, if this were local this would be an amazing go-to beer. Not too much alcohol, TONS of hops and a smoothed out body that just keeps you kicking 'em back. All the flavor of a big DIPA without the alcohol is the best way to put it. Well done, Townhall! Wish I could get a growler of Mango Mama, I bet that'd be even better.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

tavernjef sent me a growler of this just in time for me to take it to NC to share with my brother. THANK YOU! Let's start by saying- wow, what a nice treat, and it held up very well against (in fact, shone brighter than) Titan IPA, HopHog, Alesmith IPA - all also sampled over the weekend.

Rich copper pour with thick head. Superb lacing - lots of fun to see those patterns in my glass.

Aroma seemed wonderous for a single IPA. Really nice blast of hops hits first, and then a balance of sweet smelling malt rounds out the experience.

Well, after the smell, we both expected the beer would taste good, but damn Sam, this was heavenly - a great balance between the hops and the malt, which became even more apparent as the beer warmed in the glass.

Mouthfeel is almost creamy in the finish, and features a medium-light body. Carbonation level, even being in a growler, is really good.

Drinkability - well, do you need to ask?!? Holy cow - if this were available in GA, I'd be knocking em down left and right. Tremendous beer out of a state not often the first to come to mind when you think of brewpubs - however, this is one fine offering - might be the best single IPA I've ever had. Really does rival the Alesmith IPA and the Alpha King and a few others I love.

Thanks again, tavernjef...

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Enjoyed many times over the recent years. I can't decide which is better... drinking it on the Townhall patio or at home out of the growler, ah my dilemma

shimmering orange with not as much head as I would like.

smells of sweet hops without the annoyance of strict alcohol

Exceptional taste. perfect balance of malt backbone

good consistency, not cloing

Drinkability - Yes, all night.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

This is one hell of a beer. I got this in a trade. A fresh from the pub growler. About one week old.

The color is that of dark amber. Not entirely red though, more of a hazy orange. It has the possibility of pouring a three and a half finger head, really beautiful. The head is white, and never goes away. Once drank, the brew leaves a medium sticky lace.

The smell is amazing. You get some fresh citrus hops. Really great. Smelling some fruits other than citrus, maybe a type of berry. Cannot really specify what fruit is in this, but smells excellent, especially with the hops aroma just knocking you around.

The taste is exquisite. Just a great mouthfeel with incredible drinkability. Tastes like hops and just a really good IPA. It gives you that hop punch that I really respect with IPA's, but it is incredibly drinkable, more than most brews. Overall I am going to try and get some more growlers to share. Really exciting brew and understand why it is in the top ten.

J

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Received as part of the first GIF (Growler-It-Forward).
Pours a deep hazy copper color with a very thick and tall off-white head that slowly recedes leaving behind sticky spider webs of lace. The aroma is apparent from across the room with lots of floral hops with strong notes of pine and citrus. At this point, there’s no doubt that if you love hops, you’re in for quite a treat. Taste begins with an initial sugary sweetness, but that is soon replaced by flavors of juicy citrus fruit, oily pine resins, raw hop tannins, and grapefruit rind that are mouth-puckeringly delicious and leave a bitter coat on your tongue that remains until you take the next sip. Absolutely one of the top IPAs I’ve ever had the privilege to drink. Thanks to BREWER912 for the sample!

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

From the Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery located in the Twin Cities, this growler came to me via BA feloniousmonk. The seal had obviously held up, as the beer came out with a nicely swirling fine carbonation forming a lace bearing eggshell white head, which was thin, but rich. The beer itself was rather clear, with an attractive copper amber color, which was a shade darker than the run of the mill IPA. The aroma was very good at the time of the pour, and got better as the beer warmed up. The smell was that of flowery, spicy, and citric hops, that were strong without being over the top. The sweet honeysuckle smell of the underlying malt base was permitted to shine through faintly as well.

Taste was unabashedly bitter and peppery with no qualms about the hyper hopped nature of the drink. The malts were caramel, and only there to prop up the hop fireworks going on in my mouth. I love when a brewer self assuredly brews a beer to take its rightful place in the world, and this is a mighty example of this. The soft tropical mouthfeel, dry palette, and leafy bitter aftertaste, all go on paint a cohesive and harmonious picture. I no longer thought a single IPA could wow me, but this one does. Utterly spectacular.

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

This has been on of my favorite beers for a while. My preferred serving type is definitely the cask. The beer appears golden yellow with a nice creamy head that remains as throughout the pint's duration. The smell is very hoppy -- hints of grapefruit, citrus, and pine. This is not a beer for someone who doesn't like hops. The taste closely follows the aroma but is nicely balanced with some malt flavors towards the finish. The cask conditioned variety exemplifies these qualities to a greater extent then keg variety and also provides a much smoother, richer texture. Without a doubt the best IPA I have sampled.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Cheers to justn for this one, been ready to try this for a while

Pours amber with 2+ fingers of rocky sand colored head. Stays effervescent throughout, superior head retention & lacing

S: A riot of grapefruit, piney hops, plus some floral hops

T: Earthy hops, biscuitty malt, grapefruit, plus flowery hops & a touch of dryness up front. Orange rind, pine sap & slight oaky dryness as this warms. Finishes slightly oily, crisp with grapefruittyness & a floral flourish, plus a bit more biscuitty malt

MF: Medium bodied, low but noticeable carbonation, superb balance

Great drinkability, the hops just pop, but enough malt balance ensures my interest never sways...Superior AIPA, with a toe or two stuck across the pond

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Kingpin left me a growler of this on his last run through town. I've enjoyed this beer for over a year now, and each time I get my mitts on some, it's like the first time. What you get is a fantastic smelling pint, with gorgeous color and excellent body. Where this beer kicks serious butt is in the mouth though, with a strong attack of hops balanced just right with some nice malt, giving a brilliant start that explodes into a strong hop aftertaste that can last minutes. Masala Mama deserves its lofty ranking for being the most consistently amazing ale I've drunk.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured on tap at Town Hall Brewery into a pint glass.

A. 1.5 finger thick head, golden red hue, soft for ring ever after sitting

S. Smells sweet, grape fruit, pine and lots of citrus

T. The tastes is sweet, slightly bready, a tiny bit bitter like grapefruit, and a little bit tart. Light pine overtone.

M. Medium body, mildly chewy with a very wet finish. Very easy to drink

O. This is a great beer. A go-to anytime IPA for me. I could drink this every weekend. Wait! I do! Great flavor and easy to drink keeps you coming back for more.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

This brew is bronze in color. The head is creamy, solid, and white, and stays about one-finger high until the glass in drained. The aroma is citrusy with pine and oranges peaking through. The taste is amazing. It is a perfect balance of citrus and pine flavors with a solid, but not too harsh, bitterness in the finish and aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and extremely smooth. Overall, this is the best all around IPA I have had to date. All other IPAs seem to either be all citrus or all pine. Masala Mama is both.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a most-sturdily packaged growler sent straight from MPLS by Faro -- maximum respect to you, Jeff. Best before 10-13, consumed the very same day with lunch as Buffalo struggled to recover from massive power outages due to the craziest snowstorm ever to hit the city -- and that's saying a lot! The refrigerator had been off for about six or seven hours, so it was definitely time to open this one. Once it finally hit my nonic, it was a deep copper-orange color, slightly hazy with a few streams of carbonation steadily but slowly rising up to a clumpy, meringue-like, yellowed-newsprint head. An abundance of citrus aromas rose up to my nose, with kumquat rind, grapefruit pith, and piney Minneola tangerines being the most prevalent scents. A faint biscuity-caramel aroma was also detectable in the very back of the deepest of sniffs. The taste recalled grapefruit sections in the morning, with the caramelly flavors of oven-fresh bread crust and a slight hint of the butter that one might slather upon said warm bread. The mineral-based taste of the serrated-edge spoon one uses to liberate the grapefruit from its pithy origin also came through near the end of each delicious sip of this magnificently-crafted IPA, which, by the way, also featured an exceptionally smooth and juicy mouthfeel, a medium body, and the perfect level of just slightly peppery carbonation. I should also mention that from time to time my sinuses flared with the grapefruit-spruce flavor of the occasional Masala Mama-induced burps. In short, this is a nearly flawless IPA. I believe I rated Alesmith's effort just a tad higher because of its amazingly floral aroma -- a niche this IPA doesn't happen to fill. However, I believe that Masala Mama is more drinkable than that paradigmatic West Coast offering, due to its combination of exceptional flavor and unsuspecting simplicity. That is to say, there wasn't anything absolutely unique to the flavor, aroma, etc. -- but the overall experience of drinking a growler full of this beer was, in my mind, the quintessential beer-drinking experience. If I ever find myself in the Twin Cities again, I will spend as much time as possible procuring and drinking this beer.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a growler supplied by Fugazme into a pint glass. The pour is beautiful, a nice copper orange color....crystal clear in appearance a nice two finger head rises lingers for a few moments and falls to a cap on the beer with nice spotting lace all the way down the glass. The smell is very aromatic, herbal and dominated by hops, some sweet carmels linger in the back and some spice as well probably as full of a boquet as I have come accross. The taste is phonomenal sweet, robust, with some fruity zest in the background....but of course the amazing hop rush. The hops come at you right in the middle and subconsciously you brace for the pucker effect in the finish....only to find that the hops have been balanced so that they linger in the back of the palette while a cascade of rich malts and cirtus rush in. Truly exceptional....I think my first 5 in the taste category. The mouthfeel is equally as impressive richly carbonated but smooth on the tounge and cheek. Hearty enough that it lingers in your mouth after the beer is gone.

This is the best beer I have had to date....for my tastes this one is coming in on top....a great brew in my mind. If you have the opportunity to try this one....grab it.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

(reviewing the cask-conditioned version beside the standard version)

pours a light amber colour with 3/4" of thick, cascading head. the head lingers a long time and doesn't look like it'll ever quit. even when ti does, it leaves tons of lace the whole way down the glass.

again, the aroma is all hops. floral, pine, and grapefruit.

the taste is hoppy but sligthly sweeter than the non-cask version. seems like the balance between the malt and hops is leaning a bit more towards malt than hops. i think the lower carbonation level also helps the malt to come out more.i notice alot more apricot comes through in this one, and the citrus seems less grapefruit and more towards something like a tangerine or blood orange.

the mouthfeel seems a little lighter than the regular MM, most likely due to the lower carbonation. very good.

the drinkability seems just a touch higher than the non-cask version too. really makes me wish that the cask conditioned beers were available in growlers.

overall i think it rates the same as the non-cask masala mama, just a slight variation on it that's neither better or worse, just a little different.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

pours out of the half gallon growler a darker shade of amber, slightly hazy with a thin, fine, tan head. slight rings of sticky lace as i sip. aroma of toasted, biscuity caramel malts with an intense flair of lemon and grapefruit zest and spruce hopping. upon first taste, the intense hopping and bitterness are front and center...piney and citrusy...and unapologetically bitter. the malt profile seems to be balanced with the style; biscuity and toasted...sweet and sugary, with a caramel malt base not unlike a regional o-fest i overimbibed in this past weekend. this is a big beer, with a full body and rounded, oily mouthfeel. one can detect the alcohol after a few sips...it compliments the rest of the brew quite nicely...slapping you after having been punched in the gut by the resinous hops. the lingering, loitering hop flavour and bitter aftertaste is long and longer. this is a hop heads dream. what impresses me is the multi dimensional hop profile...covering every angle of hopping flavour and bitterness. more pine than citrus; more bitter than balanced...it's an assault upon your taste buds. very nice and very worthy of the praise it deserves...the best hop profile of any ipa i've sampled to date.

a massive thanks to feloniousmonk for this sample! delivered on the eve of my wedding weekend by my sister and enjoyed after the smoke and haze has cleared on a monday night. wow.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

There are people up in the Twin Cities that worship this stuff. Not just the normal, sit-around-and-proclaim-how-good-it-is type worship, but full-blown, black mass, hood-cloaked, blood-spilling, chicken-sacrificing worship.

To outsiders, it might seem ridiculous.
But once you've partaken, it all makes sense.

I, in fact, have testified before the alter of Masala Mama. The chamber glowed an orange shade of copper. Overhead the air was filled with dirty white, billowy smoke.

The hall filled with pungent hop incense. Grapefruit and pine with toasty malt backing. I expected this. But I was not ready for the fuzzy tangerine embrace that greeted me next.

Blindfolded now, I was thrown into a chair (or perhaps a barstool). I was already a bit compromised. But that mattered naught, it was now time to pay homage to Her.

They poured it down my throat without a moment for me to even brace myself.

Sudden bound enrapture!

Glorious bitter potion!

Malt and hop enchantment. Toasty witchcraft and orange-peel devilry. The finish lingers. For a minute and for eternity.
Branded by pine-fueled bitterness, tinged with grapefruit and resin, I was changed.
I was converted.

My mind swelled with each additional draught. So...right! Ripe oranges, fuzzy peaches, burnt toast and pine sap. Encased in a medium body that screams for gluttony.

Knowing I had fell sway to Her magic, the blindfold was removed, and I stared into the smiling faces of Bighuge and feloniousmonk. Both grinning because they knew they had won Her another disciple, and would be rewarded appropriately.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a ruby copper with a huge creamy head that stick around and laces for days. Damn this looks good and already is obviously not your average IPA. Smells of huge hops, grapefruit, a hint of peach, pine, HOPS!! First taste is insane. I just took a Bruce Lee kick of hops to the tastebuds. Ive had weaker DIPAs. Some grapefruit, rind, intese citrus, pine and the most hops Ive ever had in an IPA. This is crazy good. I had no idea what I was getting till now. Feels medium to light in the mouth with carbonation tickling the tongue in a great way. Finishes puckeringly bitter and slightly dry. Wow, hopheads beware. One taste of this beauty and you will have your bags packed for Minneapolis. This breaks the rules of IPA in so many different ways. Your not a hophead until youve tried this.

Masala Mama India Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery