Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
SheepNutz

Kentucky

Ahh, a growler of Masala Mama, sent from miles away from the great BA Feloniousmonk. Thanks Al, you have made a dream come true. I just finished 8 hours of standing in front of a broiler, waiting, knowing that this sweet treat was calling to me from home. What a way to finish a work shift.

It pours a slightly hazy deep red-apricot color into my tulip-style glass with three tall fingers of off-white head. Layers of lace cling for dear life. The smell hits the nose as sweet and fruity, but the hops that follow right behind show that this brew is all business. Somewhere in there, a hint of ethanol arises. A captivating aroma. The taste also starts sweet, with pineapple juice and fresh-cut grapefuit and orange. The finish is where the hops really shine through, cutting rough against my tongue one way, and smooth the other. Ahh juicy piney hops linger forever, not wanting this moment to end, just like me. The body is so thick and smooth, like nothing I've had in another IPA. It just coats the tongue and lips so well. The drinkability is through the roof. For a hop lover, a growler is not enough.

So I wonder if I can find any jobs in Minneapolis? Sure I'm not much for the cold weather, but the Mama could warm me up anytime. This could be it, THE perfect IPA. There are no imperfections, no flaws. It makes all other IPAs and double/imperial IPAs it's bitch. Thanks again Al, it's beautiful stuff. I owe you my first born.

05-12-2004 21:01:55 | More by SheepNutz

06-07-2013 20:14:19 | More by tswater
Shango42

12-10-2011 03:22:41 | More by Shango42
sublimesipping

A Growler from the heavenly twin cities via toronto, ontario. I had made a special request from a friend to acquire this beer and the hype turned out to be truth. This is as good a beer as I have had this side of my pappy's homebrewed IPAs. A perfectly balanced all around beer; no grand slams in any one catergory but hits home runs in all, which pulls up the score for me and moves me to grant my first straight fives in my review history.
-color a beautiful mahogony, honey amber, excellent head and glass lacing. The aroma, what an aroma of pine, clear lake water, floral late summer peppery wildflowers and prairie grass. The taste is wonderfully, clearly, sophisticately hoppy. Clear, crisp, dry, with a wonderful strong subtlety. This may be one of the best balanced beers that I have ever had, certainly the best balanced IPA. I would take the flavor profile of Stone's IPA over this, but am so won over by the balance I think to make for the perfect, happly satisfying mouthfeel. This would be my quintessential session beer. I feel like I am an initiate in the know. All I would wish is if this could be bottled or if I was still living within a day's drive to the twin cities. I guess I will just have to drive fast and often to purchase more of this wonderfully, yummy stuff. Bravo Minnesota and go Twins!

08-26-2004 01:07:24 | More by sublimesipping
whartontallboy

11-14-2011 17:39:23 | More by whartontallboy
kansascitytrader

Kansas

11-20-2011 00:55:35 | More by kansascitytrader
klewis

Received from a trade with Faro

A: Pours a dark copper with a two-finger bubbly head. Heavy lacing.

S: Great complex hop smell. Smooth and subtle with wonderful floral and citrus aromas.

T: Loaded with hoppy goodness and filled with a conglomeration of the great classic hop flavors. Perfectly balanced and full-flavored with a smooth taste and a light refreshing bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate-light carbonation. Chewy and sticky.

D: IPA's don't get better than this. Period.

Serving type: growler

09-30-2006 00:29:29 | More by klewis
Bighuge

This beer pours a perfect shade of copper. A medium sized creamy looking egg shell colored head graces the surface. The retention is excellent. Lace patterns are intricate and web like. Eye Candy? Oh yeah. But it gets better.

The aroma is exquisite. The nose blends heavy hop attributes like pine resin, burning leaves, pungency, citric tones and orange rind with an underlying caramel malt sweetness. Makes for one helluva a blend that leaves you breathless.

The flavors subject your senses to more of the same. The caramel malt sweetness and some brown sugar lay down the foundation. The heavily pungent resin attributes are the main course though. I don't think the IBUs are off the charts by any means with this one, but the hop flavors are delicious. Adding to the pungency is a nice grapefruit/orange rind quality. And also some pine sap. The bitterness is nice and appropriate for the style.

The mouthfeel is creamy and the body is about medium-full. I love drinking this IPA. One of my favorites. Thus I give drinkability a 5.

This is top of the line material here. And very consistent to boot. I've had many gallons of this big Mama over the past few years, and have yet to experience a subpar offering (let alone a bad one). This one is tops!!

09-12-2003 02:42:20 | More by Bighuge
millerbuffoon

02-18-2012 23:44:32 | More by millerbuffoon
Gyle41386

South Carolina

Huge thanks go out to br3wmeister for hooking me up with a growler.

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Growler opened with a huge POP! Nice to see it held up so well after the trip from Minnesota to South Carolina.

Pours a darker orange version of amber. Amazing giant fluffy head. Excellent retention. Thick rings and big chunks of foam everywhere. Leaves behind gorgeous spiderwebs of lace. Phenomenal looking beer.

I love this aroma. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love big citrus in my IPA's. Well, Masala Mama is giving me bushels of sweet citrus in my nose. It's funny, because I've never considered myself a fan of grapefruit, but I absolutely LOVE grapefruit in my IPA's. Who knew? Maybe I should give the actual grapefruit itself another shot.

Flavor is as delicious as the nose. Nice pine in the finish and aftertaste. In the land of BA, where double/triple IPA's and imperial stouts are king, it's nice to see a beer like this holding it's own near the top. The caramel malt backbone provides superb balance. Some people may think that detracts from an IPA, but not me. There's a time and a place for super bitter hop bombs, and I enjoy them, but there's also a time and a place for a magnificently crafted IPA.

Medium body, nice creamy texture. I can't imagine another beer topping this in drinkability. Hey, Bud Light, take notice. This is how you make a truly drinkable beer.

I almost felt bad for marking so many 5's...well, not bad, but like I wasn't doing it right. After all, we're even told on this page that 5's should be rare (ie cannot improve anymore). Well, after reading the parenthetical statement, I stand by my 5's. I can't imagine this beer improving in any one of those categories without lowering the ratings of another, or moving the beer into another category.

Again, huge thanks go out to br3wmeister. This wasn't part of our trade. I just happened to mention I loved citrusy IPA's, and he said he'd be sending a surprise. And what a surprise it was.

Serving type: growler

04-09-2009 05:33:57 | More by Gyle41386
SortaAmbivalent

11-20-2011 01:07:36 | More by SortaAmbivalent
ndolover

-Beer came in pint glass, with nice fluffy head that clings to the side.
-The goldenrod hue complemented the wonderful aroma of fresh geen hops.
-The first sip hit me like a punch to the nose, however it did not have an overly geen hop taste as the aroma might indicate. The following swallows were not as intense as I progressed through the beer. Generally a very hoppy beer, but not overdone.
-The mouthfeel was not thick, it rolled over the tongue wonderfully and allowed me to take in the full hop aroma.
-The drinkablity is second to none. As I can attest 5 to 7 beers in a sitting is definately possible.
Overall, a wonderful example of an IPA

02-11-2006 02:47:10 | More by ndolover

11-14-2011 07:30:58 | More by larsenju
alexgash

Connecticut

Review from notes.
Had this several times this last summer while in Minnesota and I still cannot get over how perfect it is. I already was a rabid fan of *regular* Masala Mama, but I have found that when it is on cask it is even better. First of all, I think that it just simply looks slightly better. The almost-hazy, soft golden-copper-brown body simply glows at this [cask] temperature. The creamy, off-white head floats effortlessly above, with an unwavering one-inch cushion. The smell and taste are very similar to the on-tap version, which is to say they are perfect. If anything, the cask Mama smells and tastes even more balanced. The malt seems to come out a little more. The mouthfeel loses some carbonation, but gains a little creaminess. Where the cask-conditioning really adds is in the drinkablity. Wow. It's hard to be picky with such a fine ale, but given the choice, I'll take the cask (I mean both).

Serving type: cask