Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

I am doing a second review of this beer, but this time had from cask at town hall tap.
Typical IPA color with 1inch head. Nice floral aroma...you can really smell the hops and floral notes. The taste is classic IPA but smoooth. The hops really don't smack you in the face, but are somehow hidden under actual flavor! Nice job!

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a clear orange/amber with a 2 finger creamy sticky head.

A bit of malty sweetness with heavy citrus/floral tones to the aroma.

A bit of citrus up front with some sweet caramel. Rounds into a dry mix of pine and floral leaving the tongue coated in bitterness.

Fairly creamy with good carbonation levels.

Very good IPA, but falls just short of world class for me. Still going to enjoy drinking the rest of the growler.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Enjoyed on-cask @ the Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis, MN w/ Pete & Paul from the Town Hall. Tapped from the cask into a 16oz Pint Glass. Enjoyed this back to back with the Masala Mama on-tap to see the differences...

Aroma- Compliments the style very well again! Has very light hop aroma and has the a good amount of sweetness behind it. A bit of citrus is easily caught but no grapefruit.

Appearance- Received with almost no head at all on the top of the beer. Has a dark golden/light amber color body with great clarity. Nice lacing afterwards.

Flavor- Strong hops from the beginning but not aggressive. Has a nice amount of citrus, sweetness, and piney flavor. Medium bitterness finishes this brew.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, Smooth, Smooth, Smooth, and then very creamy at the finish.

Overall Impression- I would suggest getting this one fresh on-tap or even waiting for the Coconut Mango Mama! This was the reason of even coming here but no worries... I will be back! Fun to enjoy both these back to back. I would like to see if you think the tap or cask offering was better!

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Enjoiyed on 8/22/11. Reviewed from notes. A huge thank you to BT for hooking me up with this one:

A: Pours a copper color with 2+ fingers of head.

S: Good grapefruit astringency. All I smell is grapefruit.

T: Grapefruit, grapefruit and grapefruit. Not over the top but very tasty hop flavor w/ a good malt backing to keep it from going over the top.

M: Nice levels of carbonation with a beer with these properties

O: A very solid IPA. Not necessarily a hop monster but plenty of tasty hops that make it a winner.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Received this growler from skipanoka2, thanks a lot man I've wanted to try this for years. Split this three ways so I had a good 21 ounces of this stuff. Color is dark orange and the head is billowing and huge, no lack of carbonation here. Smells like caramel and a bit of hops thrown in for good measure. The taste is really chewy caramel with a bit of pine and a very strong bitterness on the finish, very bitter. Overall I liked it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 64oz Town Hall growler into a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Amber with an off white head.

Smell: Sweet notes from fruit, nice hops

Taste: Hops, sweet tone, grapefruit

Mouthfeel: Smooth and Dry

Overall: Delicious IPA! Thanks to my brother bringing this back from the brewery on his trip to Minnesota. Love the sweetness and hop bitterness. Great balance. Cheers!

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Unmitigated thanks to klikger for this wonderful growler. Really, the best trader. Poured into a surly pint glass.

A: As dark as IPAs get, a translucent raisin brown/red. A nice off-brown head of foam leaves draping lacing all over the glass.

S: Milky caramel, a little bit of hazelnut, nougat, and caramel swirl together with an expert craft slightly pine hop character. This is really different but damn it just smells delicious, and it all comes together too well.

T: An initial hoppy caramel taste comes through and transitions into a nougat, slight dark fruit middle that builds into a bitter toffee and hop ending. So different, and mad delicious.

M: A medium-heavy body that has enough creaminess to support its sweeter side and enough carbonation to make sense of the hops. Really perfect balance for the taste profile.

O: I didnt know what to expect and I was very, very happy. This is an amazing IPA. You really can't get more flavor out of a single IPA. This sort of caramel/toffee/nougat taste was blended and balanced so well with the hoppiness, I cant not give this an A.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint glass at the brewery on 10/14/11.

Pours a Very pretty amber with an off-white head of 2 fingers. Very clear not a hint of sediment. Huge large bubble lacing all over the glass. I can't fault this beer on its appearance.

Smell is of citrus and a little of that earthy hops as well as some gentle malt sweetness in the background. I love masala but every time I have it I wish there was a stronger citrus hop aroma. Great smell though.

Taste is tons of bitter citrus hops and a nice balance of sweet malt. This beer has a great bitter character up front and then the mat smoothes everything out at the end of the pallet.

Mouthfeel is moderate and it has a great carbonation that lets it just trickle through your pallet and down your throat. Good dryness keeps it fresh but delicious.

Overall there is a reason this is in the top 100. Wonderful appearance, a solid smell, a taste that is swarming with hops but has a nice malt on the back end, and the dry mouthfeel keeps you wanting more. What can I say my favorite single IPA.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

64 oz. growler poured into multiple pint glasses. My wife was supposed to help me drink this, but I ended up with a solid 48 oz. of it!

Appearance - Deep amber, maybe copper body with a nice, creamy off-white head. The lacing is tremendous. A continuous coat of foam down the sides and all over the top of the beer. Well made, but very dark for an IPA, especially a single IPA.

Smell - I don't get the pungent hop aroma I expected from an IPA rated so well. Sure, it's citrusy and piney in equal measures, but really I get a lot of biscuit malts. The aroma just isn't all that strong, either. When it's cold I don't get much of anything.

Taste - Taste is good, though. Definitely a strong hop flavor up front. Again, equal parts citrus and pine, which pair well with a toasted malt backbone. Lots of malt, though. It reminds me of an amped-up English IPA. The finish is toasty and very bitter, almost unpleasing.

Mouthfeel - That aftertaste takes away a little bit, but otherwise it's easy drinking. Good thing, too, because 48 oz. of this would be tough to put away otherwise.

Overall - A solid IPA. Not something I'd seek out again, but if I was in MN, I'd make the trek to the Town Hall brewery for it. Other MN IPAs definitely stand above this one, though.

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to injuredreserve for the growler pour.

Pours a nice rich garnet color, with a good 2 fingers of cream colored head. Nice spongy lacing.

Big floral notes, with a good deal of citrus but a huge caramel malt backbone.

Floral hoppiness, with a pleasant bitter bite, and again, a very rich maltiness. Definitely pretty hoppy, but just as malty too.

Creamy, full bodied for an IPA. Good feeling stuff.

Drinkability is good, and overall, it's a really well done IPA.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Big thanks to younger35 for the hookup on this growler. Split with angrybabboon. Filled 9/19/2011. Consumed 9/24/2011.

Appearance: Deep copper with strong orange tone. So pretty. Head is off-white, slightly thick, creamy, and rocky. Leaves some solid lacing. Head dwindles to a thin cap on the beer that lasts for the duration. A little darker than I would have expected, but it's damn near perfect.

Smell: Biscuity malts, and a big hit of 'em too. mango, citrus, and a touch of pine, but it's all about balance on the nose. Caramel malts, straight up bitterness, pith, and a solid sweetness to round it out. Bread crust. Floral hops abound. Big oily hop presence.

Taste: Caramel malts. Straight bitterness comes through each sip and builds without ever letting up. Pith in it's purest form, outside of real pith that is. Sweetness is solid and welcome addition to the hop attack. Still about balance, just like the nose. By the end of the growler, the hops had obliterated any chance at balance.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with just the right amount of carbonation. Drinks like a champ. Medium body lends itself to the style overall.

Overall: Definitely worth seeking out. I'm wondering what the difference is between 5-day old and straight off the tap is, but 5-day old is damn tasty. Raw hop aggression, but it has enough malt to make it highly drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Growler courtesy of dougofthefuture. Thanks Doug. Pours a reddish amber with a finger tall white head that has good retention and lacing. The aroma is bready malt, biscuit, a lot of mango, and a bit of pine. The taste is sweet bready malt, some biscuit, a bit of pine, with mango flavors coming in late. Nowhere near as much mango as in the aroma. The finish is bready with a decent bitterness. Light bodied and very drinkable. Medium-low carbonation. I really enjoyed the mouthfeel. Not the best IPA I have had, but quite good. Definitely one of the better malt forward IPAs. The aroma is quite awesome, but the taste is slightly disappointing.

The Marsala Mama IPA was quite good. the Appearance was a nice copper color and clear. The beer had a nice white thick head that laced great. The smell was a combination of hop (four hops used - amarillo, cascade, centinnial, and semcoe (I think I have it right) and malt. the malt is used to balance the flavor and bitterness of the hops. The taste was very good, but not as nice as the West Bank. The combo of hops gave pine and citrus notes with some bitterness that was balanced by malt. The mouthfeel was good, but 1-3 per sitting would be sufficient.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Received this in a trade with biglobo8971.

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a very distinctive amber color. Very dark for an IPA. Head was a hardy 2-3 fingers. After the first few sips, this leaves a copious amount of lacing down every bit of glass it comes in contact with. The nose is rife with hops and citrus. A wonderfully scented brew. The taste just explodes on your tongue. A fruity, hoppy, slightly malty festival of flavors going on. It's not a monster hop bomb, which is refreshing. The mouthfeel is extraordinary. Smooth and creamy, it's unlike any previous IPA I've ever had. I could leave a mouthful of this in my mouth for several seconds just letting it roll around. A truly wonderful experience. I plan on savoring each serving from this growler, then quickly looking forward to the next time I get to enjoy it.

Thanks to theduderules for the growler! Technically sent to my girlfriend, but who's counting?

Pours a very deep reddish brown, surprisingly dark for an IPA. Smell is solid for an IPA, but nothing spectacular. Taste follows it up, very solid hop presence, not overly malty, definitely along what I expect for the style. But, as with the smell, I'm not blown away.

Overall it's a good beer, if I could drink it regularly I definitely would.

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Big thanks to beefmental for this growler... Been trying to procure this one for a while and he finally hooked me up!

This pours much darker than I was expecting... Burnished copper almost... Nice carbonation though...

Decent hop aromas here... Citrusy and piney although the malts are much more prevalent than I would expect... Still pretty good though... Top 5? Not so sure of that...

Deep piney flavors mix with rich toasted malts for a rather balanced brew... Sort of sweet in places... Reminds me a lot of SN Torpedo... Very hop forward mind you but more piney than citrusy...

A nice little brew here although I'm not sure it would make my top 10 IPAs... Still nice to have been able to had...

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks Rich (phillybeer7779) for sharing this special growler.

Masala Mama is a dark orange amber with a thick sticky head. The beer explodes with piney cascade hops. Malty smoothness on the tongue with a nice burst of grapefruit juice in the end. There is no alcohol harshness. The beer is a little bit lacking in malt body and the low alcohol is probably a signal of this as the botts are a bit too harsh in the finish. Overall this is very good, but I think the hype and lack of dsitribution drives up demand for this beer over what is deserved.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one! Served from growler into a Mikkeller flute. Poured red-orange with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, and caramel. The flavor was of sweet malt, butter, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The caramel note I got on the nose did quite well with balancing out the acidity of the citrus notes I was getting and made it quite pleasant on the nose. The flavor was also nice with the butter character mixed in with the citrus acidity as well. Just a well done brew that I would enjoy having again and again. A definite must try even if you aren't trying to tick the Top 100 list.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

64oz growler thanks to UMNbeerhunter, this one was poured into my Duvel tulip.

Masala Mama pours a surprisingly dark amber. Backlighting provides ample orange highlights, and the beer is just short of totally clear. The ivory colored head creeps up to three fingers in height on the first pour, and remains relatvely robust through further top offs. Head retention is solid, as is lacing. The nose is an absolute citrus and tropical fruit bomb, it's like I was punched in the nose by grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. I swear, it's like Town Hall had a direct line into my brain when it came to putting Masala Mama together, as it's everything I could ever want from an American IPA. It tends towards the west coast profile in terms of how much sweetness, but it's not as absolute bone dry as the most extreme examples. That tiny bit of caramel sweetness serves as a base for what is a master class in hop utilization. The bitterness is striking, yet not an all out assault on the palate the way an imperial IPA might be. At the same time, the hoppy flavor payoff is most rewarding, mirroring the nose in it's citrusy and fruity notes. I'm shocked Simcoe isn't in the hop lineup, and I may end up copying the actual hops used for my next homebrewed IPA. The carbonation is spot on, active enough to help the hops really shine through, yet not distractingly bubbly. The body is just a touch heavy for the relative lack of sweetness present, but that's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I feel relatively comfortable saying that Masala Mama is the best American IPA I've ever had, and is definitely a beer I'll be looking to acquire more of in the future.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Note: Do not base a beer review off drinking it when you have an ear infection. Yeah, I was totally underwhelmed with this when I drank my first beer of it. 72 hours later, I was much happier (because the taste was back and my infection was gone).

Anyways, you probably want to know about the beer more than my inner ear. Darker than most ipas, this one came out light brown, good size head to it. Amazing aroma, really did well with the dry hopping here, simcoe, amarillo and some others I'd guess, maybe even summit. Piney.

Bitterness held in check, quite malty delivery here, was pretty surprised about this one. Caramel sure, but the color and the smoothness had me thinking there was more to this than the ol' standby caramel description, perhaps even some darker tropical type fruit or toffee presence to get it smoother, darker etc. . .

A definitely worthy ipa, but top 100? Come on, there's simply not enough Minnesota ipa's out there to divide homerism amongst. Furious and this are damn good beers, don't get me wrong.

Alpine makes 5 better ipas. Pizza Port makes 5 better ipas. But because there's a million of them in that neck of the woods. . .you know how it goes.

Check this out though, I wasn't disappointed, but I also think its clearly at the top of the second tier of very good ipas rather than where it is collectively here.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Enjoyed at the Town Hall brewpub.

Perfectly clear amber with a one-finger head of khaki colored foam that grips the walls of the glass fully.

This one’s brewed with Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial and Mt. Hood — and it shows. Grass, mango, orange peel and a light sticky character. Softly sweet caramel malt in the background.

More dank sticky weed on the flavor. Bright and zesty, with grass and grapefruit peel, honey sweetness and lightly toasted bread. It’s a bit heavy on the hops — I could use more malt.

Bit thin and insubstantial in body. Light and soft massaging carb, moderate fizz, and just a bit of tongue-numbing booze.

Masala Mama has a lot of supporters, but it’s a bit too one-sided for me. The hop complexity is great, but it needs more malt to back it up.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

64oz growler from GripitandSipit (thanks!). Best by date: 8/8/11. Growler filled 7/31/11, and drank 8/4/11. Poured into DFH Signature glass.

A: This one pours a nice clear amber color with some faint orange notes. About a finger and a half off white frothy head. Really surprised by the great carbonation from the growler. Some really nice lacing on the glass.

S: You get a really floral head, but will balanced with caramel malts (?). I got a little bit of citrus, but also some piney hints. A good malt backbone.

T: This is a very clean looking and tasting APA. You get a crisp hop bite on front of tongue, beautiful balance at the middle, then a nice smooth close. It's really well balanced, I took away lots of fruity hop flavors but by no means a hop bomb.

M: Light to medium (barely). Really easy drinker with the low ABV.

O: This is a really really nice APA. A great summer beer or whenever. Nicely clean and crisp. With low ABV this I could drink all day/night. Love it!

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Stopped through Town Hall Tap on a nine hour trek from northern MN down to Omaha, NE - way out of the way but well worth the trip.

Beer poured a deep amber redish/orange with two fingers of thick frothy head that hangs for quite awhile - leaves a substantial amount of sticky lacing coating the glass. The aroma comes through with super resinous and piny scents and some citrus and slight caramel backing it up. The taste has a good balance of hops and malt with neither of them taking the lead - nice and sweet up front with a good bitter bite and malt backing at the end - nothing truly impressive here but it is quite refreshing. After having a sampler of a handful of different beers this was a nice change for a hophead like myself. Very glad I stopped and extremely impressed with the service and the knowledge the bar keeps and servers had. For sure stopping by again next time!

Enjoy!

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Growler thanks to skipanoka2. Thanks for the trade Nate. Had this last night, on the label it has best before date of August 10th, it was filled on monday night so it should be ok, though it made a plane flight as well. Still tasted good to me.

A: Looks amazing, such a deep color that I would call blood orange with outstanding head retention and killer lacing. Thats a 5 for look for sure.

S: Very interesting and unique nose for an IPA, almost like a Belgian IPA or hoppy red, something with extra malt and yeast to it. Huge vegetable mixture of hops with some citrus rind, and then lots of spicy grainy malts as well, quite malty but not in the scary oxidized way. Good.

T: Very nice taste, and the first thing that jumps out is a earthy maple like taste with caramel forward. Some piney hops and grassy hops as well in the taste, quite nice. Crisp and clean finish with a mix of toast and vegetable flavors lingering slightly. Sugary citrus is certainly present in the mid palate as well as something I can only describe as a foresty taste. A malt forward and very unique and tasty beer here.

M: Malty and semi bitter with a clean finish, little bit of lingering bitters.

Overall a great beer that I would love constant access to, though for me just a bit more hops is what I usually like in IPAs. Great to have though and I'll order it if I ever go to Minneapolis.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

At the brewpub

A - Pours clear copper with one finger of light brown head. Head has okay retention and leaves a fairly small amount of lacing.

S - pine and citrus, with some other tropicals thrown in. Also a good amount of caramel malt. Quite good overall.

T - Similar to smell. Pungent pine and citrus rind. A few floral flavors and a bit of tropical fruit. There is definitely a nice malt presence to balance things out, but the hop bitterness persists all the way through. Nice to get so much flavor from a modest abv IPA.

M -medium mouthfeel. A bit lighter than most IPAs. Nice lingering bitterness.

O - Very good all the way through. Glad I got to try this.

Masala Mama India Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery