Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

No picture.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 662 | Hads: 1,275
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks IrishColonial for sharing this growler!

A. Pours a mostly clear copper orange. I love IPAs that pour this deep color. About a quarter finger of crisp white head provides a nice contrast. Really nice tightly beaded lacing.

S. Really good. Tropical fruits, pineapple, orange peel. A nice caramel malt presence too.

T. Zesty, spicy hops. Lots of pine resin and floral flavors. Fairly bitter finish. Nice.

M. Well balanced. Perhaps a bit strong on the carbonation. Good blend of flavors though.

O. A very good IPA. Hop heads will love how bitter and bold this is. I thought the finish was just a bit too bitter and drying and the malt presence a bit thick. Pretty full bodied for an IPA: couldnt have more than one or two. (734 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

HUGE thankyou to biglobo8971 for sending this to me in round 3 of the growler BIF (along with a TON of other well thought out selections). Splitting this with my wife as the superbowl kicks off (GO BIG BLUE!!!)

a - poured a crisp transparent ruby amber with a classic frothy head that slowly defoamed away leaving chunky milk shake like lacing all over the glass.

s - really nice prickly sticky piny hops and a splash of citrus and orange peel. classy balance of some toffee like malts...almost a bit like a really fresh hoppy barleywine.

t - bitter bomb. good malt backbone as suggested in the nose, very piny. like a really fresh hoppy barleywine.

m - good carb, balanced feel. touch of a bitter bite in the finish.

o - overall a very solid ipa. great beer to watch my giants with in the big game! (804 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

12/23/10. Huge thanks to DalzAle for this growler at the QC Christmas tasting! Growler. Nice orange pour with a fluffy off-white head. Huge tropical fruits, pine, citrus, and a dash of caramel in the aroma. Awesome sweet tropical fruits blended nicely with caramel and more. Stellar. (283 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

64 oz. growler bought straight from the brewpub today. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear copper amber orange with lots of rising bubbles and a huge five fingers of white head with decent retention. Lots of lacing sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Big aroma of fresh citrus hops with lots of grapefruit, pineapple, orange, and mango. Good hints of pine resin underneath the citrus aroma. Light hints of sweet caramel malts in the background. Very hop forward here. Smells very good.

Taste: Big taste of citrus fruit hops upfront with notes of grapefruit, orange peel, pineapple, and mango juice. Midway comes a good taste of pine resin which pricks the tongue with some spice. Some sweet malts come through with notes of caramel and toffee. Taste is hop forward but not quite as bitter as one might expect. Fairly sweet and juicy. Pretty good.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Creamy, juicy, and very smooth for such a hop forward beer. Finishes moderately dry.

Overall: A great IPA. One of the better ones in the Midwest. (1,116 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to biglobo8971 for including this one in round 2 of the Growler+ BIF

This has been a want since I heard about Town Hall.

Growler opened with a nice release of pressure and pours a bright, golden amber with fluffy white head. The smell is all american hops. Tons of citrus fruit, grapefruit, pineapple with a touch of pine. Taste is more of the same. Lots of hops with a strong bitterness and very little malt character to speak of. The mouthfeel was nice, the counter-pressure filled growler really held up well. Overall, this is a very solid IPA and worth trying. I would put it in the same category as Odell's IPA which is readily available to me, and from memory, no better or worse than this one. Bottom line, if you can get it, it is worth trying, but I won't specifically be seeking this one out again.

edit: I checked my scores for Odell's IPA and they were actually exactly the same, for what that is worth. (925 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured on tap at Town Hall Brewery into a pint glass.

A. 1.5 finger thick head, golden red hue, soft for ring ever after sitting

S. Smells sweet, grape fruit, pine and lots of citrus

T. The tastes is sweet, slightly bready, a tiny bit bitter like grapefruit, and a little bit tart. Light pine overtone.

M. Medium body, mildly chewy with a very wet finish. Very easy to drink

O. This is a great beer. A go-to anytime IPA for me. I could drink this every weekend. Wait! I do! Great flavor and easy to drink keeps you coming back for more. (541 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -20.8%

I had this on tap on a trip to Minnesota and even brought a growler home. The bartender told me that this is the beer that they hand their collective hats on. While I thought it was good, I was not as impressed as others.

The golden orange color gave a half inch head in the pint glass. It had a rather hoppy aroma, but I did not detect the same citrus hints that others detected. The hops hit you in the initial taste with some citrus notes following. It follows with a bitter hoppy aftertaste that entertains the sides of the tongue for some time.

As far as IPA's go, this is better than most. Still, I was not overly impressed. The citrus hints were well hidden and I could not find a strong note of anything particularly unique. (735 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from growler into Globe glass. Thanks to Jesse for hooking this one up.

A. Pours a 2 finger head. Excellent retention. Almost a permanent centimeter of continuous head. Solid lacing. Color is very dark orange.

S. Smell is about the hop. Tropical citrus aroma, mixed with a little pine. Grapefruit, and a pretty bitter hop aroma.

T. Smooth. Nice dry biscuity malt lies beneath really nice hop flavor. Incredibly easy drinking. Grapefruit and other tropical citrus hop flavors; oranges, apricots. Like the malt base to this beer. Tongue coating bitterness. Not over the top, but definitely present bitterness. This might be what is missing the most from a lot of other IPAs.

M. Great mouthfeel for an IPA. Lingering bitterness.

O. Been waiting a long time to try this one. I would very much consider myself a hop head so this has always been on the radar. The guy that brought me this growler said Masala tastes like marmalade. I think that is an extremely accurate description. Super easy drinking, and very flavorful IPA. (1,036 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

(A) Clear with darkish amber color and hints of copper/gold/orange. One finger head, outstanding retention, and good lacing.

(S) I detect citrusy/piney/floral hops, grapefruit, with a hint of caramel/malty sweetness.

(T) Slightly piney and bitter hops, caramel malts, and pineapple. There is definitely a hint of citrus and possibly grapefruit. The malts provide decent balance that leans towards the hoppy side. Decent complexity and overall enjoyable.

(M) Hoppy bitterness. Low to medium carbonation level (good amount for this particular beer). Medium bodied, possibly on the light side. Lasting finish that is dry, bitter, and crisp.

(O) Overall this is a great IPA with great drinkability. It has a relatively low ABV and has solid complexity. I’m glad I finally reviewed this legendary IPA, arguably the best in Minnesota (only rivaled by Surly’s “Furious”). Although some may not consider it world-class, it is definitely a “must try.” (959 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Reviewed from notes. Served from a growler shared by Romulux at a tasting this past fall.

A: Golden-orange. 2 finger, white, foamy head.

S: Citrusy hop notes.

T: Good balance of citrus hop flavors and piney hop flavors.

M: Medium-bodied. Good carbonation level.

O: Great Pale Ale. So glad I got to try this one. (316 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Copper-golden color, with a fluffy two-finger head. Fine lacing.

S: Bright grapefruit with nice candied tropical fruits and a detectable malt backbone.

T: Grapefruit, candied pineapple, dry hops, toasty malt backbone, and a dry finish.

M: Dry and syrupy.

I'll always say yes to more hops but for an AIPA, this is excellent and well-balanced. Very drinkable. (366 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Growler received in trade from phisigben, thanks for the opportunity. Shared after a long day with HopasaurusRex. Pours a deep golden color with a decent bubbly white head that displays moderate retention and lace. Smells fantastic. Floral, pine, citrus and tropical fruity hops with hints of sweet bready malt deep underneath. Taste is resinous, fruity, pine, and citrus hops with a bit of sweet bready almost caramel malt. Fairly dry with a medium to light body. Moderate level of carbonation with a resinous mouthfeel. Nice flavorful hopification of a beer. If I lived in MN I would drink this all the time, but since I don't I'm glad I got to try it. (654 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden amber sunshine fades over a pineapple mango garlic forest. What mad scientist thought that citrus and garlic go together? Whoever he was, he was a genius. The captivating aroma gives way to a sensational dance of hoppiness on my tongue. I could drink pint after pint after pint of this.

Mad props to my BA buddy johnnnniee for breaking out this nectar on an ordinary Monday night. (389 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +5%

Got this growler from biglobo as a warning shot, to which I say holy crap. This beer is beautiful. It is a clear amber color with a nice dense head which leaves sheets of lacing. The retention is outstanding as well. Aroma is huge. I could smell tropical pineapple other citrus hops the second I opened the growler. The aroma is extremely pungent with a bit of caramel balance to the huge hops. Flavor is again packed with tropical hops. Mild bitterness with outstanding balance. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy for me, but carbonation is on point. Overall this might be one of the best hop beers I have ever had. Outstanding. (619 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%

Served at the town hall tap.

A- pours a very cloudy sunset orange with a fluffy three finger head that dissipates slowly into a nice cap. After some time, the cloudiness turns into a slight haze. Huge sheets of lacing are left behind.

S- orange marmalade, apples including the skin, caramel and toffee malt as well as grassy and piney hops. Pretty different aroma compared to just on-tap as there isnt much bitterness.

T- again orange is present with a jam like sweetness, honeycrisp apples, pear, and grassy hops with a nice amount of caramel and toffee malt.

M- low carbonation and medium body that has a very creamy mouthfeel that finishes slightly bitter.

O- it was interesting how much different this beer tasted when being casked conditioned. More sweetness emerges with the citrus and grassy hops taking a backseat. (828 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -10.5%

Generally, my drinking tastes have always run towards stouts/porters, wheat beers, and recently, Wee Heavies. All these beers have in common is that they are not hoppy styles. Not that I disliked hoppy beers, I just wasn't acclimated to them. Back in January I paid my first visit to Town Hall tap. After trying a few things, I ordered a Masala Mama, knowing full well what it was. I finished it, would probably say I liked it, but my buddy got plenty of laughs at my many winces and cringes.

Fast forward ten months. I've been seeking craft beers much more actively, and I can fairly say I've become hop acclimated. In fact I would actually say I LIKE hoppy beers. And here we are, back at THT. So, Masala Mama, my old foe, we meet again.

The pour is an impressive, though standard gold, with half-finger head. The smell is assertive and fresh, with a strong boquet of hops. Hops again on the tongue, along with citrus, pine, a little bit of ma...damn it all, am I wincing again? Yes, I am, jeez. Still a hop weenie? Or is this one just too unbalanced on the hopometer.

Still, way, way short of a drain pour, in fact, I'm still happy to drink this beer. It's well made like all THB/THT offerings. But I found it too dry and too hoppy to be outright tasty. This may get lynched by purists around town who will at the very least revoke my hop-nerd credentials, but I found Masala Moom only good, not great. (1,408 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on 2011-11-18 in Minneapolis, MN. Our group bought a growler to take back to the Holiday Inn next door to the brew pub. Since it had been less than an hour since leaving the pub, the brew tasted the same as on-tap.

A - Clear orange-amber with a 1.5-finger white head with moderate lacing.

S - Tropical, mild citrus, floral, pale malt.

T - Orange flesh first then some pineapple/mango. Light pine, nutty/pale malt followed by some grapefruit flesh bitterness and a sprig of mint. Dries nicely with a touch of fruit and caramel sweetness to compliment the bitterness.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. Crisp and a touch prickly.

O - This is a very fine APA. Lots of flavor for this ABV level with a good balance between bright-citrus and sweetness; somewhat-like a Troegs Nugget Nectar. (815 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A: golden amber color, clear, with a decent head that stays as a thin layer for the glass. Sticks to the sides of the glass very well.

S: tons of citrus, sweetness, pine, and malt.

T: the taste is surprisingly awesome, even for expectations. Amazing blend of flavors, with the citrus, pine, and malt and sweetness all hitting up front. The aftertaste is hop bitterness. Awesome.

M: smooth and crisp at the same time. Or at different times. Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: this is full of win. Growler it is...if only they sold them on Sundays. (558 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Thank you Jim (RatedZ) and his brother for this Growler! Another shell shocker!

A – Pours a nice golden copper color and hues of golden rod, nice 1” of off white head that disperse and then leaves a nice lacing.

S – Awesome pineapple/grapefruit/pine aroma and just hops, hops and more hops.

T – Super hop tang on the sides of the tongue, they stand out the most, it’s like an onion type flavor but not onions. Really enjoy the balance though throughout this beer, nice sweet malts and just the pop of hops is amazing!

M - Exceptional, not overly carbonated and not under, just what I like for a lower ABV IPA. Thickness was perfect also.

O – For such a low ABV I was astounded by all the flavors that were present. I can scratch this one off the bucket list. Its awesome! (793 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Golden copper color. White head is one and half finger and lasts quite well.
S- Smell is piney hops and a splash of a tropical, pineapple juice flavor.
T- It's fairly sweet. A decent malt base props up a big pine flavor. Very heavy on the pine flavor with a touch of tropical fruit.
M- Fairly firm body, low carbonation. Flavor sticks around in a long finish.
O- A very good IPA. Easy drinking and packs a solid hop punch. Definite recommendation. (450 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -18.5%

Growler shared by ??? at Darkness Day... Thanks random guy!
Reviewed from short voice notes dictated into iphone.

Dark amber body... Weak head, decent lacing.
Sweet malts up front dry out to leave a bitter and surprisngly dry finish (surprisingly because this smells so sweet, looks so dark, and initially hit with a big burst of sweet malt!). I REALLY like the way this beer finishes, but it just isn't enough to save it for me.

Nice body-- good carbonation level touch of prickliness that I love...

Overall-- this is a pretty well-balanced IPA, but it lingers on the sweet/malty side for my liking. I respect what they've done with it-- and I could see this being a nice "daily drinker" for people that stop into the brewpub nightly, but it isn't one that I deem worthy of going crazy over. (795 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

I am doing a second review of this beer, but this time had from cask at town hall tap.
Typical IPA color with 1inch head. Nice floral aroma...you can really smell the hops and floral notes. The taste is classic IPA but smoooth. The hops really don't smack you in the face, but are somehow hidden under actual flavor! Nice job! (327 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -8%

Pours a clear orange/amber with a 2 finger creamy sticky head.

A bit of malty sweetness with heavy citrus/floral tones to the aroma.

A bit of citrus up front with some sweet caramel. Rounds into a dry mix of pine and floral leaving the tongue coated in bitterness.

Fairly creamy with good carbonation levels.

Very good IPA, but falls just short of world class for me. Still going to enjoy drinking the rest of the growler. (426 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Enjoyed on-cask @ the Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis, MN w/ Pete & Paul from the Town Hall. Tapped from the cask into a 16oz Pint Glass. Enjoyed this back to back with the Masala Mama on-tap to see the differences...

Aroma- Compliments the style very well again! Has very light hop aroma and has the a good amount of sweetness behind it. A bit of citrus is easily caught but no grapefruit.

Appearance- Received with almost no head at all on the top of the beer. Has a dark golden/light amber color body with great clarity. Nice lacing afterwards.

Flavor- Strong hops from the beginning but not aggressive. Has a nice amount of citrus, sweetness, and piney flavor. Medium bitterness finishes this brew.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, Smooth, Smooth, Smooth, and then very creamy at the finish.

Overall Impression- I would suggest getting this one fresh on-tap or even waiting for the Coconut Mango Mama! This was the reason of even coming here but no worries... I will be back! Fun to enjoy both these back to back. I would like to see if you think the tap or cask offering was better! (1,129 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -10.7%

Enjoiyed on 8/22/11. Reviewed from notes. A huge thank you to BT for hooking me up with this one:

A: Pours a copper color with 2+ fingers of head.

S: Good grapefruit astringency. All I smell is grapefruit.

T: Grapefruit, grapefruit and grapefruit. Not over the top but very tasty hop flavor w/ a good malt backing to keep it from going over the top.

M: Nice levels of carbonation with a beer with these properties

O: A very solid IPA. Not necessarily a hop monster but plenty of tasty hops that make it a winner. (517 characters)

Masala Mama India Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery