Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.66/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance is fantastic. 2 and 1/2 inch head that is very oily and retains well. The ruby orange color tells me I must drink now... but I inform it that I must first smell the beer.
Smell is good. Nothing too much out of the ordinary here, but a great blend of sweet malt and citrusy hops.
Taste is nothing short of heaven. Wow, the only other 5's I have given in this category go to Duvel and Aventinus. Nice and sweet initially, but as the beer climbs to around 45 degrees the citrusy hops start to wow you.
Mouthfeel is fantastic as well. One of the smoothest beers I have drank, hands down.
Drinkability for the style is very good. The bitterness hangs with you but doesn't make you apprehensive to take the next sip.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

A- Pours a deep transparent orange color with a nice, thick, chewy, off white head.

S- Smell is dominated by citrus and grapefruity hops with some sweet caramel malt in the background.

T- Nice and bready, substantive with citrus notes all the way through. A very bitter grapefruit finish stays on the tongue long after the brew is gone.

M- Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

D- This was an excellent IPA. I went in this expecting to be disappointed because of it's high rating (which I thought it couldn't live up to) but I was certainly wrong. If this was available around here it would be my go to.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

I can remember wanting to try this beer ever since I joined BA over three years ago; this is my first time. I have to thank Nittanybeerfan for shipping a growler of this back home from his trip to Minnesota for the Men's Big Ten Swimming & Diving Championships. There is no way randawakes could tick this beer and not me, so he graciously shipped the growler back and hand bottled me two. As soon as they arrived they were put in the fridge and opened the same night.

A: The cap hissed as some ghostly smoke crept out of the bottleneck. You have to keep in mind that Dan (Nittanybeerfan) is a homebrewer, so he knows how to adequately cap hand bottles. The beer poured from the unmarked brown bottle into my Russian River pint glass. As I pour, I can see nice carbonation forming, yielding a finger to two finger nice eggshell/khaki head that lasts for a few minutes. Given the time it took the head to recede, I can assume this will be a sticky malt/hop experience.

S: Upon first whiff I get a punch of toffee, Werther's Original, and dry orange peel. It smells very nicely balanced, unlike many IPAs that are hops or nothing. But this IPA is different. It doesn't have the old IPA caramel smell like an IPA that has sat on the shelves for a month. It has a nice caramel smell, with simultaneously fresh citrus hops.

T: Truly a perfectly balanced IPA. The sweet, sticky toffee and Werther's Original in the scent come through magnificently in the taste, and then adds a touch of butterscotch. It is very sticky, a tad sweet, and then a blast of citrus hops comes through. This is not a hop bomb. In fact, I'm not sure if it is more hop forward or malt forward, but the hops are there and they let you know it. Citrus, orange peel, and some grapefruit.

M/D: Great.

Overall, a great IPA. Will drink my other bottle very soon. The key to this beer's success is the perfect balance, with the sweet toffee malt and citrus hops.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%

64oz growler poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. Growler provided by UMNbeerhunter, thanks Joe!

A - This beer pours a lot darker than expected for an IPA, almost gleaning into amber territory but still has that orange starburst. Dark orange, deep red, like a late sunrise. One finger at most of head, a little disappointing, but has some decent retention. Lacing on the other hand, is great, boasting large strokes of foam covering a ton of the glass.

S - The smell is a bit modest, slightly piney, slightly citrusy, but lots of floral aroma here from the hops. Fresh smelling. However there's also a very strong malt backbone in play here as well. Honestly, it's a bit too strong as I feel it detracts from the hops a bit too much and overall it's not incredibly hoppy smelling at all besides the floral rush at the beginning.

T - After taking my first sip, I was taken aback. This isn't very hoppy at all, much to my surprise. The front end is almost all malt and sweetness, before a slight transition into the grapefruit, orange, and bitter end. The malts just overtake the first half of this beer and I'm getting lots of caramel and toffee, and they only begrudgingly recede to let a bit of hops through near the end.

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with low carbonation. I don't know how, with Town Hall's counter-pressure filled growlers, but this seems a bit flat. Creamy, yet disappointing.

D - Drinkability is moderate. While a nicely balanced IPA, if I was looking for hops I'd search elsewhere, this beer has too much malt backbone in my opinion.

3.64/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from growler into Globe glass. Thanks to Jesse for hooking this one up.

A. Pours a 2 finger head. Excellent retention. Almost a permanent centimeter of continuous head. Solid lacing. Color is very dark orange.

S. Smell is about the hop. Tropical citrus aroma, mixed with a little pine. Grapefruit, and a pretty bitter hop aroma.

T. Smooth. Nice dry biscuity malt lies beneath really nice hop flavor. Incredibly easy drinking. Grapefruit and other tropical citrus hop flavors; oranges, apricots. Like the malt base to this beer. Tongue coating bitterness. Not over the top, but definitely present bitterness. This might be what is missing the most from a lot of other IPAs.

M. Great mouthfeel for an IPA. Lingering bitterness.

O. Been waiting a long time to try this one. I would very much consider myself a hop head so this has always been on the radar. The guy that brought me this growler said Masala tastes like marmalade. I think that is an extremely accurate description. Super easy drinking, and very flavorful IPA.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

I received this from StuBob, thanks buddy.

I stuck the growler in the fridge for about a hour and a half as I plant a crap load of flowers and watered everything. I was parched and came in, washed up, and hit the fridge for a drink. I saw the Mama looking at my and I was sold as I can always drink an IPA. Well being so thirsty the first sip straight from the growler ;) about took my head off, such overwhelming hops it reminded me of the time I sipped at hop extract. Wow, I need to drink some water and eat to enjoy this beer.

Well this beer starts off as a light amber with a head of pure white fluff that last all the way down leaving lots of lace. The nose is a blend of hops from spicy to citrus very little malt coming though. The taste is pure hop and the malt is mostly lost but there is a little crystal poking its head through. As this is balanced to the hops the flavors are layered, there are plenty of deep bittering that lingers from sip to sip, but the flavors of the beer are of pithy citrus with a spicy sweet riptide that fades back to the deep bittering. This could of had a little more of a body and more of a malty character to balance, but I like the presentation of the hops that really make this beer shine and make you not even care about the malt. This makes a great session beer and I already miss her, my Mama.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Dark golden to copper color with a dense tan head. Light carbonation billows from the bottom. Slightly cloudy with slippery lacing sliding down the glass.

Smell: Earthy and vegetable scents from the hops. Some piney and faint floral notes backed by a bit of malty sweetness.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The hop flavor dominates the beer. Sweet malty base that shines only briefly before being overpowered by a very earthy, bark-like hop flavor. The hop flavor is gritty and even sandy in a raw sense. Very green and vegetal. The flavor tastes fresh and oily but a bit out of balance.

Drinkability: This beer is readily drinkable and pairs well with the appetizers at Town Hall, particularly the wings. Tasty and fresh.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Huge thanks to Jeff (Faro) for sending this my way. Not only did I thoroughly enjoy this, but I may have converted my father to the world of microbrews with this one.

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

A- Dark, clear amber. Gave a nice orange glow when light hit the glass. Two finger white head formed and dissipated quickly upon consumption.

S- Great aroma. First thing to hit the nose is a nice piney smell. Underneath is a subtle smell of citrus and grapefruits.

T- One of the best IPA's I have tasted so far. Bitter piney hops attack the palate and is finished off with a wonderful citrus sweetness.

M- Perfect. Well carbonated and medium bodied. Many IPA's tend to feel watered down me, no such thing going on here.

D- Highly drinkable...a nearly empty growler after two days is a perfect example of its drinkability.

Overall, very impressed. Usually I tend to like DIPA's because they are bolder and have more complexity. The fact that this is an IPA at 5.90% ABV and draws similarities to many of my favorite DIPA's is a true testament to how great of beer this really is. Highly recommended. Thanks Jeff!

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finnaly got to the brewery. Had the draught after the cask. See my cask review in the previous review.

A-Clear amber. Long lasting head that eventually (7 minutes) fell to a thin coat and tall collar. Showed decent lace.

S-Beautiful hop aromas, grapefruit, complex array of other citrus fruit, bready, biscuit and caramel malts. Nearly the same nost as the cask but not as potent.

T-Again, this close to the cask but not quite as good. Citrus fruits abound, grapefruit and grapefruit pith dominate the hop profile. A bit hoppier than the cask versionThere ia an alcohol zing the belies the fairly low ABV. The malts come out and grow more complex as it warms and consists of all those found in the nose. Never comes up as balanced though.

M-medium body, nice even carbonation, not as creamy as the cask.

D-Very good, lower ABV and fantastic flavor makes this one and all nighter. Supremely hoppy and unbalnced but I knew this going in and appreciated it. Sorry about all the comparisons to the cask, but I thought it appropriate given I drank them back to back and liked the cask a touch better.

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%

Enjoyed on tap and cask at the brewery as part of a sampler. The hop aroma from this beer made it seem like a grapefruit had been stuffed into the tiny sampling glass. As I sampled the brew I was overwhelmed by the brash tangerine pith and grapefruit flavors awash in a sea of creme brulee-like maltiness. The mouthfeel was very creamy smooth and the body somewhat full. The finish was quite bitter, but not harsh. Not much else to say other than this was quite delicious.

(This review is from notes I took back in June 2008. Can't believe I didn't post these notes back then.)

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

A- this didnt have the cascading creamy look that the cask ale did, however it was still a heavy foamed, golden amber clear bodied ale with tan head that lasted a long time and left lots of lacing
S- This had a much sharper hop scent than the cask conditioned, however it was just as good, and enjoyable, although the malt is harder to notice under the sharper hops
T- very good, theres the great hop flavor providing a much stronger and crisper flavore, slightly piney. it is harder to notice the malts than in the cask however they are still there and quite delicious
M- this has a much lighter body and a sharper carbonation, but right where you epect and want for an IPA
D- This is a great IPA, however I might like the cask more, but they are both delicious

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

Received in trade from supercolter was looking forward to trying this one for ahwile and did not disapoint.

A - Red copper hue with a huge head once poured from a growler to the glass.

S - Pine and a small amount of citrus, slight malts.

T - Nice balance smooth fresh hops and earthy tone make this a fantastic beer.

M - Leaves a nice lingering feel that stays with you after drinkng one.

D - I thought that the brew was nice becasue of the fact this would be hard to aquire on a regular basis it lowered the score some but nice none the same.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Despite my really high marks for this beer, I can't help to feel somewhat underwhelmed by this beer's reputation. Don't get me wrong. This is a great beer. A great IPA. But it's quality, albeit high, has been outstripped by its reputation. Bell's Two Hearted, for example, can easily go toe to toe with this one.

The name for this syndrome is "you can't get this, it is soooo good."

Good amber color. Really nice frothy head. Smell is really good. Piney and grassey hops. American hops I surmise. Taste is like the nose, but clean.

Super mad props to blitheringidiot for sharing this with us folks back in Philly.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Served from a growler named Jamshed, which came to NoVA courtesy of the host with the most: feloniousmonk.

Appearance: Tea-twinged light brown topped by a foamy and rocky tannish head. The head retained a big ol' film of foam and left thick sheets of lacing on the sides of the glass. Impressive.

Smell: A good ol' twang of hops: orange rind, grasses, some pine, grapefruit citrus. A minor hint of toffee-like malts show this won't be hop-tea.

Taste: Solid malt presence with a sh'load of hoppiness. Heavy on the fruity citrus and spruciness. A lingering sting of IBUs. Damn Biatch!

Mouthfeel: Burly and brash like a hoppy elephant dancing on your tongue.

Drinkability: Hell yeah! Little Jamshed was not enuf. I must have more. Too bad I just signed a year-long lease...

Masala Mama India Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery