Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance is fantastic. 2 and 1/2 inch head that is very oily and retains well. The ruby orange color tells me I must drink now... but I inform it that I must first smell the beer.
Smell is good. Nothing too much out of the ordinary here, but a great blend of sweet malt and citrusy hops.
Taste is nothing short of heaven. Wow, the only other 5's I have given in this category go to Duvel and Aventinus. Nice and sweet initially, but as the beer climbs to around 45 degrees the citrusy hops start to wow you.
Mouthfeel is fantastic as well. One of the smoothest beers I have drank, hands down.
Drinkability for the style is very good. The bitterness hangs with you but doesn't make you apprehensive to take the next sip.

supercolter, Jul 19, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

A - Judging by looks alone, this beer looks like a prototypical amber. Deep red color and transparent. For an IPA, I would expect the typical cloudy orange. Not so with this one.. Head is decent sized and the lacing is damn nice. I like the ruby look.

S - Pretty good, but nothing that is all that remarkable. Smell is clean and of roasted malts and citrisy hops. In all honesty, it smell like a lot of other IPAs out there.

T - OK, here we go. I know where this beer gets it's high rankings. A near perfect blend of roasted malts and hops go down with such ease that I'm afrain my growler won't last the evening. Behind all of that is a candy sweetness that is subtle, yet apparent enough to bring the malts and hops together in a really, really good way.

M - One of the smoothest beers I have ever drank. Near perfect on all fronts. 'Nuff said.

D - I'm afraid that in between the beginning of this review and right now, I've already filled my second pint. Oh, crap.

Many thanks to JeffKrenner.

SethB2, Jul 15, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

from a 1/2 gallon growler, this beer pours a rusty amber color with little life, but a plump, creamy two finger head. this doesn't retain, but leaves some flame-like lacing and an adequate bubble-specked cover of foamy velvet. grassy, piney aromas dominate here with a mere hint of the west coasty citrus profile. some smokiness is here also in the nose, nutty, directing this beer's second major towards english bitter territory. unique aroma but not overly killer on hoppiness. considering beeradvocate and the beers people usually hype, this appears rather tame for a one-time #2.

aah but it tastes great. this is nothing more than a flavorful, drinkable, bold beer with low alcohol. this is a minnesotan's backyard beer, those lucky bastards. initially, i taste lots of fresh hops. these hops are floral in nature. predominantly bitter with botanical bitterness and an underlying play of crisply burnt caramel and toffee. the more my palate adjusts to this flavorful beer, the more i start to pick up sweeter and darker malt notes. the color of this beer also suggests some real earthy char to the flavor, putting a new spin on a way to balance an ipa. there's a tad bit of grapefruit here, but its more like essence trapped in sweetness, like a jolly rancher. no doubt this beer is hoppy, and my mouth is left with physical puckering remnants of such flower. however, the amount of balancing flavor and precise effort shows off a real talent for brewing.

yummy hop burps follow, and i put down pint after pint.

side note: if you like this, and you find yourself in the hartford, ct area, try cambridge house abijah rowe ipa. strangely similar.. leading me to appreciate my own hometown brew even that much more.

an interesting beer to garner such attention. worth a try, absolutely, but not as hoppy or fruity as i usually like my ipa's. here's to mama!

goodbyeohio, Jul 04, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

My brother brought 3 growlers of this with him from Minneapolis for the 4th of July weekend. I owe him big-time for the chance to try this beer.

The growlers hold the carbonation pretty well, giving a psst sound when the cap is opened. I poured it into tumblers, and it looked pretty good, clear orange color with oily looking white foam. The smell was pine needly hoppy, really good but a little difficult to distinguish from loads of other IPA's.

Like-wise with the taste, the main flavor is hops (which is good but still similar to many other beers). There was a slightly fruity after-taste too which was nice for an IPA.

Overall this is a really good IPA, but I can't see why it's rated #10 on BA. I'd place DFH 90 Minute or Stone Ruination above Masala because they both have more complexity and balance with the malt.

TurdFurgison, Jul 02, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tasted and reviewed this beer with out knowing what beer it was. I was told after the review it was Masala Mamma.

This one is kinda of a must for anyone visiting the Town Hall Brewery as it seems to get the most praise. I found it to be a very well balanced beer with some great character. It pours a nice forthy head that is good and rocky and sticks to the glass the whole way down. It a nice orange/reddish color. Smells of really oily hops, flowers, light spice, and even a little nutty maybe. It tastes great in my opinion with some great hoppy bitterness to it. I found this beer to be great I really like IPA's and this one really stood apart from the others.

ryantupy, Jun 28, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Medium tawny/copper color with a slight haze. It retained some nice carbonation throughout its long journey and presents with a full three-finger head of fluffy of white foam. Excellent retention and a nice spotty lace. Aroma of soft citrus hops is excellent, but could use a little more umph. The flavor has an intense malty sweetness throughout and a bitterness that rides high on the tongue, carrying on long after the finish. The grassy hops have a nice grapefruit tang and the malt flavor has a slight toasted nut character. A good balance of flavors overall. The mouthfeel is lightly creamy with solid carbonation. This beer went down well and thank goodness it did because I finished nearly the whole growler without much help. Very drinkable and sessionable. This is a fine IPA but I am careful not to overrate it based on its scarcity. Everyone should get the chance to have one though. Thanks goes out to MeLikeBeer for hooking me up...

bennetj17, Jun 23, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

4's all around... and an excellent take on the IPA... but (IMO), clearly a product of its limited availability. This doesn't even make the top 5 IPAs discussion... let alone bordering top 10 beers in the world.

Pours a nice amber with a reasonable frothy head and lacing... it looks like a lot of eastern U.S. IPAs. A very enjoyable aroma which hints predominantly with pine and muted floral notes. I'm underwhelmed, but cautiously optimistic.

The taste of malt hits first on the tongue, and there's a wonderful toasty-ness to the malt profile that dissipates into an extremely oily, pine-y hop bitterness. There seems to be more citrus than I detected in the nose. The blend of hop flavors is delicious and well balanced. Despite the big malt presence up front and the well-maintained balance I don't find this quite as drinkable as HopDevil, the IPA I find this share's the most in common.

The after-taste is relatively clean and dry, with just enough bitterness on the tongue to keep you reaching for more.

I'm very glad I stopped by the brewery to pick up a couple of these growlers on my trip, and in MSP I'll be back again... but it's not even the best IPA I tasted on my trip, and I'm shocked that it's rated so highly. Perhaps if they do ever distribute this and it becomes more readily available its rating will even out?

No matter... if it never does, at least it will provide this excellent little brewery some attention, which it surely deserves.

errantnight, Jun 15, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Growler from a trade with tavernjef. Thanks!

Body is reddish-orange with a huge frothy, almost cake-like, off-white head. Massive lacing from top to bottom in my Duvel tulip. This is visual IPA perfection.

Nose is citrus with a sweet wrapper. Really nice!

Flavor is a wonderful candy citrus blast with a resinous pine finish. The hoppiness really reminds me of SNCA. Has a substantial malty backbone that holds up well and does not get too intrusive. Taste manages to be very intense, yet not fatiguing to the palate. A real treat!

Mouthfeel is almost creamy, yet still quite tangy with a little tooth-strippiness.

Drinkability is insane. Town Hall needs to bottle this ASAP.

ghostwalker, Jun 15, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

This, the first imbibation of my long-awaited trip to the West Bank's Town Hall Brewery, did not disappoint. The only unfortunate circumstance surrounding this drink is that we had settled for getting served on the outdoor patio area, and my Mama was served in a plastic Texas tumbler.

Nevertheless, a pungent aroma of lush, tropical grasses and ripe grapefruit met my nose; and a deep, brownish amber color met my eyes when this beer was first served to me. Served at the perfect temperature, I fortunately did not have to wait for my first draught. The taste was bitter, rich, and satisfying. Piney, flowery, hints of caramel malts. The mouthfeel was almost creamy, but not in a way that detracted from the bitter zest in any way. I thought this drink was remarkable not only in my initial impression, but also in how the character of the taste did not diminish all the way through the "bitter end," so to speak.

hylton44, Jun 12, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

This one opens with a nice PFFFTTTT. Phew. Thank goodness. Lots of smoke like vapors leave after opening the top. MANY MANY thanks go out to MeLikeBeer for this fine sample.

Gorgeous one and a half finger head with a minute or two of retention. Brownish orange similar to the fossilized sap on the cane of that man in Jurassic Park... Sticky lacing dances down the glass.

Sweet hops tingle the nostrils on top of the sweet sugary tea aroma and the smell of an open grass field in the morning while the dew is still sitting. As it warms up, piney hops jump out into the nose.

Sweet centennial hops dazzle the tongue before a sweet candy sugary pale malt taste swings in to prepare you for the HUGE bitter hoppiness that comes in.

Mildy fluffy carbonated feel that delights the tongue and palate before drying out and leaving a slightly piney bitterness around. I could have only this beer for the rest of my life and be content.

timtheenchanta, Jun 08, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a growler shared with me by timtheenchanta.

This beer was poured an amber orange with a rediculously frothy white head. The beer also laces quite nicely. The smell is very sweet and full of citrusy hop aromas. The taste is full of bitterness and hop flavors. This is truly a showcase for the hops. There isnt a lot of malt character, but the hops really give this a fantastic flavor. Nice mouthfeel, right on for an American IPA, thick enough but not syrupy, also carbonation is good. Overall a great IPA, glad to finally get my hands on this one.

MSchae1017, Jun 08, 2006

This is a phenominal beer. Golden orange color, perfect off white head of millions of small bubbles that retained at about a centimeter for the entire beer and provided spectacular lacing. I have had this beer many times from the regular tap, but from the cask the hops are toned back a bit, eventhough their complexity is still there, which helps reveal a bit more of the sweet, fruity pale malt. At the beginning of this beer, it tastes atleast a little balanced in malt and hops, definitely leaning towards the hops anyway. The finish though is pretty much all hops, a very broad specturm of them that is just delicious, slightly oily resinous pine and floral like, a bit stronger towards citrus zest, orange and grapefruit, maybe even a bit of apricot. It just plain make you go mmm. the mouthfeel is great on this beer, especially from the cask, enough cabonation to retain the sizeable head, but it's far from overwhelming. Extremly silky smooth. This beer is so good, it is virtually impossible to get sick of it. They go through a lot of seasonals at Town Hall, so I usually go for those, but I try to have one of these nearly every time I stop in for more than one or two.

dfried, Jun 06, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

on tap into a pint glass.

orangeish light amber with an off-white layer of head that leaves nice rings of lace.

powerfully hoppy aroma, but with a nice mixture of floral, citrus rinds, and hints of pine. a touch of bitter grapefruit. full, rounded and powerful.

barest hints of caramel malt backing washed away with an incredible mix of hop flavors. less citrus than the nose indicates, but a nice mix of floral and resiny pine. tons of bitter and hoppiness, but it comes off as very well balanced and very drinkable. slick, oily feel with a bitter but rounded finish.

Prufrock, May 30, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks goes to a trader from Minneapolis, Minnesota for this growler full of beer. had this earlier this month. poured a nice golen orange amber just like it should with a light tan head. aroma wow the hops jump right out there when the cap was twisted off like walking thru a pine forest, than got citrus leaning to the orange and. flavor, I am glad I didn’t rate this on my 1st glass I thought that I might have gotten a bad batch this was so dry that I had to have a glass of water with it, so down in the ref. it went came back a couple of days later and I could tell it was starting to mellow so after drinking this for a little over a week a good portion of the dryness went away and it became a very enjoyable beer to drink, the flavors were hops, orange and some grapefruit

walleye, May 28, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A big thanks goes out to grub for sending me a growler during his recent visit to the twin cities. After chilling for a day, I popped this baby open. Off the pour, I got a creamy 1" head of dense, yet rocky, off-white foam. Things receded a bit, but plenty of head stuck around to produce thick, clumpy lacing. Very balanced aroma, with some malt sweetness providing counterpoint for the tangerine and piney hops (with a little grapefruit too). Solid bitterness with significant malt sweetness to start, along with some floral orange, grapefruit and pine. The bitterness slowly grew into the finish, where it became fairly intense. Along the way there were notes of toasted, biscuity malt and peaches. Kind of a sweet-tart character too. Medium bodied with medium/low carbonation. A bit creamy on the palate too, with some hop dryness. Overall, this has great balance. My taste buds were put through a work out but didn't get tired too fast, which let me enjoy quite a bit of this in a single sitting. I'd love to try this at the brewpub. Highly recommended and not overhyped.

DrJay, May 21, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

(reviewing the cask-conditioned version beside the standard version)

pours a light amber colour with 3/4" of thick, cascading head. the head lingers a long time and doesn't look like it'll ever quit. even when ti does, it leaves tons of lace the whole way down the glass.

again, the aroma is all hops. floral, pine, and grapefruit.

the taste is hoppy but sligthly sweeter than the non-cask version. seems like the balance between the malt and hops is leaning a bit more towards malt than hops. i think the lower carbonation level also helps the malt to come out more.i notice alot more apricot comes through in this one, and the citrus seems less grapefruit and more towards something like a tangerine or blood orange.

the mouthfeel seems a little lighter than the regular MM, most likely due to the lower carbonation. very good.

the drinkability seems just a touch higher than the non-cask version too. really makes me wish that the cask conditioned beers were available in growlers.

overall i think it rates the same as the non-cask masala mama, just a slight variation on it that's neither better or worse, just a little different.

grub, May 16, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to tastytaste for this growler. Poured into a pint glass. Shared with my IPA connosieur roommate BA PEF524.

This is a top-notch American IPA. It is the most beautiful IPA I have ever seen. It is a very appealing, slightly hazy amber color. The head is an incredibly frothy off-white color, and it leaves a good deal of lace on the glass. The smell is all west coast hops. If there ever were an ivitation to take a sip, this is it. The taste is overpowering citrusy bitterness, in a good way. I like the dryness with just enough malty sweetness poking through. There is definitely a pucker to it, but it is a fully enjoyable beer.

bignick, May 10, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Finally, I have the elusive Masala Mama in my hands, thanks to an iFriend who send a 64oz growler to me in Florida. Thanks, Tip Top!

A slight "PSSS" as I unscrew the top of the growler, and the pour revealed a nice, orange/amber beer that had a nice, 1 finger head. Smell was typical IPA as expected - nothing shocking or marvelous - just good ole hops, citrus, floral aroma. And for the record, that's a GOOD thing.

Taste: First sip reminds me (hop wise) of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. But there more to it, as I soon find out. Very smooth beer, with nice citrusy notes and floral hints playing off each other and complimenting the malt nicely. Excellent balance. Nice bitterness that disappears as I swallow. Taste lingers on the tongue for a few minutes, then dsiappears, making me want another sip. This is a very well crafted beer, even after a 4 day trip from Minnesota to the Florida heat, and then 2 days in my fridge. Impressive.

Mouthfeel is about what I expected - about medium, and about perfect for an American IPA. Not too heavy, not too light.

I put this IPA among the best Ive had. As it warms, more fruitiness starts to show, maybe subtle apricot?? Drinkability is top notch, as Im on my 3rd of 4 pints, and Im not getting tired of it one bit - this is a very sessionable brew.

Ive been after this beer for a while now, and it did not disappoint. One of the better IPAs on the market...now only if they would bottle, so it would be easier for IPA fans to aquire. Good stuff!!!

wingnutter, May 07, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Secured a growler courtesy of Tasty Taste.

Poured into a pint glass. Soft carbination with ample tiny bubbles.Head disappears quicky but leaves a sticky lacing crawling on the side of the glass.

Smells of earth or grassy presense. Slight fruitiness or citrus hops with a caramel malt.

Extremely smooth! A strong wet hop flavor is followed by a faint fruitiness. Tea like presence that kicks into a caramel malt like flavor that is beaten back by more hops and a nice deep bitterness. High ratings on balance. Leaves a distinct earthy taste on the pallet that lingers on for a spell.

Extremely dinkable and a session drinkers dream come true. This brew is subtle for it's style but... Oh So Damn Good!

I will revisit this enjoyable Minneapolis Town Hall offering again!

Cheers!

Tyrawlings, May 01, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Masala Mama departed the confines of its growler and now occupies my pint glass where its full beauty can be appreciated. The colour is a hearty orange caramel. Bubbles still lively up the liquid even after days in transit and untold idle time. A small tan cap emerged off the pour but fell away hastily leaving some frothy churn atop this most lovely glass. Lacing stretches across the vessel's horizon and grows in girth as the level drops with each sip.

The nose carries a strange array of fruitiness. Notes of peach or apricot sweetness, or some darn thing or another, seem to float atop an earthy and green citrus charactered base. This thing smells heavily of raw hop material. It is nearly too chlorophyll heavy with greeness, but it holds itself together by the grace of the bizarre fruit presence. This is a hopped up beer with a unique fruitiness that adds a peculiar sort of appeal.

The taste is fruity. The unique fruitiness is delicious but fleeting. It gets wiped away by an exaggerated bitterness that comes close to throwing off the balance. Close. This beer manages to hold itself together though. The mango-peachy-citrus character really is quite appealing. The bitters are a bit on the aspirin side, but they are tolerable. This is a good IPA, but some of the better aspects seem to be shrouded in the bitterness that nearly overthrows the whole union. Tasty nonetheless. Solid.

Mouthfeel is light. This is constructed to be a drinkable brew and it has succeeded as such. Feel is just right.

Drinkability is good. It would be nice to try fresh from the pull. This is a nicely made beer. I could see me drinking these down. In fact, I did. Nice. Maybe a smidge hyped up. Hopped up for sure.

SupaCelt, Apr 13, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

When poured it has a cloud, not unlike a guiness, then it becomes crisp with a great foamy head that doesn't fall and a lacing that's unbelieveably stuck. It has a golden orange color.

The smell is strong and elegant with fruity tones. The malty tones are creamy and soft. The smell is very strong.

The taste is creamy and flavorful, bready and fruity with a hoppy aftertaste that isn't invasive. I tasted a little wateryness, but unsure if that's just a cask conditioned ale.

The mouthfeel is unbelievable, it's smooth and creamy like silk, just great.

I would definetly drink this once a week if I had the chance, but there are not many beers I could have everyday.

Erdinger2003, Apr 09, 2006

Enjoyed on cask.

Pours a magnificent dark orange color with an amazing creamy head. The lacing left little rings all the way around the glass, never seen lacing like that, it was a sight to see. Smell had hints of biscuit and caramel, but of course they were hidden behind a vast array of strong citrus hoppiness. Taste was very good as well and even had a bit of a cream like flavor mixed with the citrus and pine. Mouthfeel was full bodied and ridiculously smooth, this could be drank all day if you wanted, this was truly a great experience.

badbeer, Apr 08, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a growler supplied by Fugazme into a pint glass. The pour is beautiful, a nice copper orange color....crystal clear in appearance a nice two finger head rises lingers for a few moments and falls to a cap on the beer with nice spotting lace all the way down the glass. The smell is very aromatic, herbal and dominated by hops, some sweet carmels linger in the back and some spice as well probably as full of a boquet as I have come accross. The taste is phonomenal sweet, robust, with some fruity zest in the background....but of course the amazing hop rush. The hops come at you right in the middle and subconsciously you brace for the pucker effect in the finish....only to find that the hops have been balanced so that they linger in the back of the palette while a cascade of rich malts and cirtus rush in. Truly exceptional....I think my first 5 in the taste category. The mouthfeel is equally as impressive richly carbonated but smooth on the tounge and cheek. Hearty enough that it lingers in your mouth after the beer is gone.

This is the best beer I have had to date....for my tastes this one is coming in on top....a great brew in my mind. If you have the opportunity to try this one....grab it.

hoffman, Apr 03, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Town Hall Brewery is a great bar at seven corners in Minnneapolis, Masala Mama IPA is just one of the few great beers they have available. With that said, this IPA is very good, the hopyness is not overpowering, yet the flavor is magnificant. The beer is definatley worth a try.

TeamSeinfeld, Feb 24, 2006

-Beer came in pint glass, with nice fluffy head that clings to the side.
-The goldenrod hue complemented the wonderful aroma of fresh geen hops.
-The first sip hit me like a punch to the nose, however it did not have an overly geen hop taste as the aroma might indicate. The following swallows were not as intense as I progressed through the beer. Generally a very hoppy beer, but not overdone.
-The mouthfeel was not thick, it rolled over the tongue wonderfully and allowed me to take in the full hop aroma.
-The drinkablity is second to none. As I can attest 5 to 7 beers in a sitting is definately possible.
Overall, a wonderful example of an IPA

ndolover, Feb 11, 2006