Masala Mama India Pale Ale - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Masala Mama India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-01-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Masala Mama India Pale Ale Alström Bros

from notes
A: Darker amber with nice frothy head. Good lacing.
S: Sweet caramel (almost toffeeish) malts and citrus hops (lemon, grapefruit); a bit of flowery noticeable hops too.
T: well balanced between aforementioned malts and hops; pleasant strong lingering bitter pine hop finish; ends a bit bready.
M: medium resiny mouthfeel with healthy carbonation.
Really should've taken better notes, but I was enjoying it too much. Really a top notch IPA and worth of the reputation. Seek it out if you can.

billyshears, Apr 04, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to therobot for this growler. Into a DFH Signature Glass.

A: Pours a deep copper in color with an off white head, about half an inch or so that slowly recedes down to a cap of bubbles with excellent rings of lacing. Superb clarity and a fair amount of carbonation moving up from the nucleation point. Very nice.

S: Big tropical fruits, grapefruit, mangos, pineapples, very fruity, with a bit of a malt presence underneath, some notes of caramel, and a bit of a biscuit like smell as well. Not bad.

T: Follows the nose nicely with a decently juicy hop presence, citrus and pine are a bit stronger in the flavor than the nose, which is nice. Pretty decent malt backbone in there as well, not a huge presence but decent. Some of the same lightly toasted malts that were in the nose which is pretty nice. Long bitter finish ties everything together quite nicely. Excellent.

M: Spot on, medium body, perfect carbonation, dry finish that absolutely makes me want to take another drink after I've set the glass down.

O: This is a fantastic IPA at the lower end of the alcohol spectrum that is incredibly hoppy, perfectly bitter, and perfectly dry. My girlfriend and I will have zero issues finishing this growler with dinner and over the course of the evening. Exceptionally well done!

Thanks Dan!

pokesbeerdude, Apr 01, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Aroma: (11/12)
Huge grapefruit and orange! Tropical fruit hops dominate. Super enticing.

Appearance: (3/3)
Copper in color. Poured from the tap with a nice fluffy, one-fingered head. Insane lacing, even before I took my first sip.

Flavor: (18/20)
Grapefruit and big hoppy bitterness upfront. Little to no malt present. A west coast style IPA. This beer really reminds me of the Green Flash West Coast IPA. Hops only intensify from the front-end to the back. Wonderful!

Mouthfeel: (5/5)
Light in body with a great hoppy bite.

Overall Impression: (10/10)
I haven't had a better IPA (besides Pliny and Green Flash West Coast IPA). It's crazy that this is available in my backyard. I much prefer this beer to Surly Furious, as it is lighter and the malts take a definite back seat to the hops.

mnbrewery, Mar 23, 2011

Served in a glass mug.

Big thanks to hannydawg and VDubb86 for hooking me up with some o' this growlered goodness!

Didn't think I'd ever get around to trying this...much props to my unexpected hookups! It pours a hazy sunset amber topped by a light sprig of dirty white foam. (I will note here that I was late to the growler, so the carbonation was decidedly diminished for me. I have adjusted the grading accordingly.) The nose comprises ruby red grapefruit, mandarin orange, lime, caramel, and a slight intimation of onion. The taste holds notes of pine, orange peel, greens, light cedar, and some very light caramel resting in the back. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a pretty dry finish. Overall, a very nice IPA. I'm not sure I can rave about it as much as others have, but it is pretty damn good.

TMoney2591, Mar 21, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

Served in a mug

Thanks to hannydawg for sharing this growler with myself

This beer appears an amber orange color with a thin vale of head on the surface. The aromatics are slight malt barley notes followed by a well balanced grapefruit hop nose. The flavor of this beer is surprisingly not nearly as bittered as I would have anticipated. This beer would have been better had this been fresh so I am extrapolating my thoughts as if this were a cask beer. I'm really pleased with the overall flavors involved here. I rather enjoy. I'm glad to have had the chance to try this beer, but would still relish the chance to have it again.

Vdubb86, Mar 20, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A large part of the reason I initially joined BA almost 2 years ago was to find new and exciting IPAs, little did I know the great appreciation this site would give me for tons of beer styles and individual beers. When I first joined this site, Masala Mama was the #1 rated IPA. After learning it was only available at one brewery in the entire country I pretty resigned myself to never trying it, yet, here I am with a fresh growler sent from arvjunk to enjoy. Thanks again Ankur.

Pours an amber hue with slight haze topped with an thick beige head which left some spectacular spiderwebs of lacing all over my tulip. Really outstanding especially considering this is coming from a growler filled 1000 miles away.

This beer is quite balanced, not something I usually value being brought up on west coast hop explosions, but this beer is quite tasty. The smell is a little muted in comparison with the taste, but the overall presence is similar. A really well paired combination of truly sweet malts and bitter but not abrasive hops. A delicious and sweet well-balanced IPA, I wish this was more available since it seems like a great gateway beer that's not overly bitter. Notes of warm fresh caramel, earth and flowers, pine and citrus.

Mouthfeel is quite good, soft and creamy even after spending a week in a growler.

Quite a tasty beer, I'm glad I got to try it. Not my all-time favorite IPA, but it's hard to compare with most hop dominated IPAs from California. As far as well-balanced IPA's go, this is the best one I can remember having.

Dspohn, Mar 20, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -16.6%

I've held off on reviewing this for quite some time, as it's kind of my go-to trade bait. That being said, after picking up a growler for hockey tonight, I figured it's time.

And at this time, I still don't get it. It's a good IPA, but I'm not quite sure it's worth all the A's it gets. It has all the standard traits you look for in superior IPA's - nice citrus fruits and hop oil on the nose, a ton of grapefruit and grassy-ness for the taste, and a decent enough kick of hops on the front, middle, and finish.

But what the hell is with the after-taste? It's been the one thing that's always bugged me about Masala Mama, as I can't recall an IPA that lingers like this one does, and it's not in a good way. It reminds me of dated DFH 90 Minute IPA - it's just weird. I just can't get away from it, and it really confuses me.

Overall, like I said, it's a good IPA, but not worthy of all the adoration - which is a tough thing to write, as of all the Town Hall beers in my backyard, this is probably my least favorite.

GoldenJet, Mar 13, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Had this on tap at the brewpub. Pours a very pretty orange amber brown with medium tan head that sticks around for a long time. Nice lacing on this one for sure. Nose is where this rocks for me. Very fresh citrus hop aromas, with some leafy notes that add to the freshness as well. The flavor follows with a solid IPA, big citrus notes, followed by a good deal of bitterness, carried through over a slightly sweet malt bill. Assertive and well-done. A very good beer here. Nice body, and wayyy too easy to drink.

LordAdmNelson, Mar 12, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From growler to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/5/11
*From notes

A HUGE thanks goes out to ncmussell for this one. Cheers, Nate!

A: A 2.25 finger head on a careful pour. Amazingly icky, sticky and bubbly lacing. Just a gorgeous shade of dark sunset amber.

S: Citrus! From the moment I removed the growler's cap, it hit me - and hard. Intense pine and fruity resin, with bitter hops and faint, mild malts off in the distance.

T: One word: balance. This is one of the most balanced and delicious beers I've ever had. It's extremely fresh, leading to a massive amount of tropical fruits up front. A run of malt in the middle lays down a track for the bitter yet slightly sweet hoppy finish.

M: The creamiest of IPA's. I can't begin to describe this one - it's like Christmas morning for your mouth. Rich and slightly heavy, the carbonation here is spot-on and simply perfect.

O: If anyone had a timeshare in Minneapolis, lemme know. I could easily see myself going on a week-long bender just killing pints of this heavenly nectar 24/7.

Believe the hype, folks. Masala Mama is worthy of all the praise you've heard and then some. In my opinion, this is the quintessential American IPA.

Two BIG thumbs up. This one should be on your bucket list.

*Paired with a medium-rare, grass fed ribeye and homemade mac & cheese.

Rhettroactive, Mar 09, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

I can remember wanting to try this beer ever since I joined BA over three years ago; this is my first time. I have to thank Nittanybeerfan for shipping a growler of this back home from his trip to Minnesota for the Men's Big Ten Swimming & Diving Championships. There is no way randawakes could tick this beer and not me, so he graciously shipped the growler back and hand bottled me two. As soon as they arrived they were put in the fridge and opened the same night.

A: The cap hissed as some ghostly smoke crept out of the bottleneck. You have to keep in mind that Dan (Nittanybeerfan) is a homebrewer, so he knows how to adequately cap hand bottles. The beer poured from the unmarked brown bottle into my Russian River pint glass. As I pour, I can see nice carbonation forming, yielding a finger to two finger nice eggshell/khaki head that lasts for a few minutes. Given the time it took the head to recede, I can assume this will be a sticky malt/hop experience.

S: Upon first whiff I get a punch of toffee, Werther's Original, and dry orange peel. It smells very nicely balanced, unlike many IPAs that are hops or nothing. But this IPA is different. It doesn't have the old IPA caramel smell like an IPA that has sat on the shelves for a month. It has a nice caramel smell, with simultaneously fresh citrus hops.

T: Truly a perfectly balanced IPA. The sweet, sticky toffee and Werther's Original in the scent come through magnificently in the taste, and then adds a touch of butterscotch. It is very sticky, a tad sweet, and then a blast of citrus hops comes through. This is not a hop bomb. In fact, I'm not sure if it is more hop forward or malt forward, but the hops are there and they let you know it. Citrus, orange peel, and some grapefruit.

M/D: Great.

Overall, a great IPA. Will drink my other bottle very soon. The key to this beer's success is the perfect balance, with the sweet toffee malt and citrus hops.

treyrab, Mar 09, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes:

Growler received in a past trade with a generous MN guy. Shared with kubrick215 and a non-BA friend.

Pours a hazy dark golden orange with burnt orange hues when held to a light and a two finger frothy, pillowy off-white head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with rings, streaks and splotches of soapy lacing.

As soon as the growler was opened you could smell the dank, resinous oily hops from across the room. Very earthy and floral with a lots of pine and sticky kind bud character dominating the nose. There's also a good amount of sweet citrus and tropical fruit. Hints of pineapple, mango, grapefruit and citrus rind. Subtle malts with hints of sweet alcohol and biscuit.

Chewy full body with a blast of dry, bitter hops that linger throughout into a long, dry finish. More one-dimensional than the aroma suggests with an overpowering dry, earthy pine flavor. Slightly floral but mostly just intensely bitter and dry. Kind of like eating a tree. Resinous, sticky and oily with the dryness just coating the tongue in an unpleasant way. This really hurts the mouthfeel and drinkability. Not much in the way of sweetness to balance things out. The tropical and citrus fruit notes from the aroma are minimal if not completely absent. It's hard to pick anything else out underneath the dry, earthy pine needles. Faint malt backbone but again not enough to balance things out much. Subtle hits of caramel, biscuit and graham cracker.

Overall, I'm happy I got to try this beer but it was just too one-dimensional for my liking. I love intense bitter hoppy beers but this beer coats the tongue in an unpleasant way and reminds we of having cotton mouth after smoking low grade weed back in college.

corby112, Mar 07, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I was excited for this growler while at Normyk's place for a tasting on 3/5/11.

A- Stunning clarity was the first thing I noticed. Its a glowing golden orange with a stark white head. It looks crisp, it looks unflawed.

S- The aroma is nice and sweet. Pretty strong on tropical fruit, but fresh pine is also well represented.

T- The taste isnt as nice as the aroma. It seems to lose some dimension. Its quite resinous with lots of leafy hops. Grapefruit rind and pine bough are soaked in hop oils.

M- The oily stuff lingers but this beer isnt too bitter. It some how manages to have a long lingering oily finish but maintain an overall dry feel at the same time.

D- Quite enjoyable. I wouldnt mind drinking this often.

MbpBugeye, Mar 06, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

A - deep amber, amazing head and lacing. Great looking beer.

S - caramel malt bitter and citrusy hops. Lovely nose

T - Bitter and sweet citrus on the front. Great balance of dry bitter and maltiness. Great beer.

M - very smooth and medium bodied.

D - highly drinkable. Nothing about which to complain.

ColdPoncho, Mar 03, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours amber golden with a strong head despite being a growler. A good amount of lacing and the head sticks around for quite a while. Really solid aroma of hops and citrus. Some nice orange scents as well as grapefruit. Very floral as well. Tastes sweet and hoppy. Some really nice almost caramel malts backing up huge citrus flavours. Very complex and yet, highly drinkable. I see why this beer has such good ratings. Top notch

Urbancaver, Mar 03, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

A- light orange with a nice white one finger head that sticks around
S-nice and citrusy. It invites me in with the fruity smell.
T- alot like it smells. Very fuity and almost like an orange? Some grapefruit as well
M-medium bodied and smooth with a nice citrus aftertaste.
D- very drinkable. Taste gone in no time.

brew3crew, Mar 03, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at the brewpub. Was lucky enough to be able to make it out to Seven Corners while I was in town for 2011 Big Ten Swimming and Diving Championships. This was served in a traditional shaker pint glass.

The first thing that strikes me is the thick fluffy head. It is a full inch in height, fluffy, and creamy. It sticks all over the sides of the glass, and it contributes to uneven thick rings of lace that are slathered all over the glass. The color is coppery orange amber, and the body is clear and crisp with no haze at all.

The aroma is phenomenal. There are hints of just about everything in there. Grapefruit, orange zest, stone fruit, mango, a dank bitterness and resinous aromas. The flavor is completely out of control. Similar to the aroma, but taken to the next level. There is more emphasis on the grapefruit and the peach and apricot flavors. There are also hints of pine and grassy hops that lead right into more tropical flavors as mango and orange come in towards the end of the flavor profile. There is a mild backing sweetness in the middle of the flavor that provides a great balance to the musty floral bitterness. The aftertaste is sticky with orange and lemon zest flavors.

Sticky and resinous throughout, medium carbonation, and a great satisfying...almost thirst quenching...feel on the finish. It manages to be both smooth and sticky at the same time. Definitely refreshing, I wish this beer wasn't a $350 plane ticket and 8 hours or round-trip travel away.

NittanyBeerFan, Feb 27, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -13.1%

Growler thanks to BA justn. Growler labeled 2/24

A: Light struck amber with golden highlights. Lower carbonation agitates a thin white head.

S: Weak tropical fruits and caramelized undertones.

T: Sweet candied caramel and fading passion fruit and banana flavors. The hops have really taken a backseat to the malt, something an IPA should not do, as I see it. Bitterness is appreciable but never in the way. Sugary finish.

M: Pleasant with a cask feel.

D: Not a bad IPA but I'm thinking the trip out here has taken something away from the beer. I had much higher expectations.

Lazerlobe, Feb 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

64oz growler poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. Growler provided by UMNbeerhunter, thanks Joe!

A - This beer pours a lot darker than expected for an IPA, almost gleaning into amber territory but still has that orange starburst. Dark orange, deep red, like a late sunrise. One finger at most of head, a little disappointing, but has some decent retention. Lacing on the other hand, is great, boasting large strokes of foam covering a ton of the glass.

S - The smell is a bit modest, slightly piney, slightly citrusy, but lots of floral aroma here from the hops. Fresh smelling. However there's also a very strong malt backbone in play here as well. Honestly, it's a bit too strong as I feel it detracts from the hops a bit too much and overall it's not incredibly hoppy smelling at all besides the floral rush at the beginning.

T - After taking my first sip, I was taken aback. This isn't very hoppy at all, much to my surprise. The front end is almost all malt and sweetness, before a slight transition into the grapefruit, orange, and bitter end. The malts just overtake the first half of this beer and I'm getting lots of caramel and toffee, and they only begrudgingly recede to let a bit of hops through near the end.

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with low carbonation. I don't know how, with Town Hall's counter-pressure filled growlers, but this seems a bit flat. Creamy, yet disappointing.

D - Drinkability is moderate. While a nicely balanced IPA, if I was looking for hops I'd search elsewhere, this beer has too much malt backbone in my opinion.

nhindian, Feb 22, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

Happy to have the chance to try this. Enjoyed on tap at the brewery. Pours a deep copper brown with a lacy beige head. Lots of bitter citrusy hops and sweet bready malts. Crisp, clean body with a lasting resiny finish. Great IPA, would love to have this at my local bar anytime!

rye726, Feb 22, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Neverending thick frothy head on a crystal clear dark red beer. Lacing is awesome and so is everything else. Step lacing on the sides of the pint glass.

S- Piney. Centennial hops? Great smell.

T- Follows nose. More of a piney IPA than a citrus one. Awesome. This is one of the best IPAS I've ever had.

M- A tad on the watery side if only complaint.

D/O- Soooo drinkable. Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery is doing some incredible things. If this is the reason you go, make sure to try some of their other brews as well, you won't be disappointed!

Duff27, Feb 20, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Absolutely sexy beer. I got a little hard. Seriously. I'm in love.

Foamy head off a hard pour yields a brilliantly hoppy aroma full of pine, citrus, and floral notes. Malts are present in the nose too, above the amber clear body and sustaining head. Masala Mama has a watery character at the edges of its look, and that keeps you reminded of "Hey, you can drink me!". And at 5.9% alcohol by volume with lacing all over the glass, that shit is true!

The taste is a hop bomb up front, followed by malts and then water. Unlike other beers that finish too clean, this one finishes with a perfect note of malty sweetness, citrusy hops, and a touch of hops bitter that build in the aftertaste. Coming out of my new Surly pint glass, I'd be furious if someone said it wasn't a great India Pale Ale. And it gets sweeter as it warms up. Who doesn't like something sweet and warm?

Masala Mama IPA is drinkable too. Like water in a desert. And with all the carbonation it has, it still feels strong with its medium body on your palate.

I can't think of too many negatives.

Maybe that I have to fight off my girlfriend because she keeps wanting to drink this, too.

afksports, Feb 15, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Draft. Poured into a big imperial pint glass @ Town Hall Tap a slightly hazed amber orange color wih a slight off white 1 finger head. The head is rather thick and leaves sticky lace on the glass. Aroma of sweet citrus rind hops. The taste is slightly sweet upfront that transitions to a long drawn out citric bitter hop flavor. Ends with a lingering bitterness. Medium mouthfeel. Super easy drinking. Zero alcohol notes. This is a pretty near perfect IPA for me being well balanced and easy drinking.

kbutler1, Feb 09, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -3%

Thanks goes to UMNbeerhunter for the opportunity to try this. Great beer advocacy.

A: Dark brown, amber color. Rich white head with brownish accents. It's not in any hurry to recede into the beer. When is finally does, it forms a nice cap on the beer. Tons of lacing.

S: Piney, resinous, dank. Has elements of really good bud. There's a sweet quality to the smell that I assume can be attributed to the malt profile. Very inviting.

T: Everything you'd expect from the nose. Slightly bitter from the start then mostly sweet from there. I like that taste a lot, but I think I may enjoy the smell a little better on this one.

M: Very full for a single IPA. Great carbonation. Not too dry of a finish.

D: Extremely drinkable. My father in law, friend and myself polished off the growler in no time and wanted more. Road trip!

titosupertramp, Feb 06, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -16.6%

A: Golden brown pour with a small, but relatively stubborn, head with decent lacing.

S: Hoppy smell, but it comes with a nice malt backbone. Smells very sweet, with hints of caramel almost.

T: Piney hops open the beer with a bang, nice and bitter up front. That gives way to a malty finish with a nice hops dryness. Not much citrus, but perhaps some grapefruit.

MF: Not as carbonated as I would have liked, but very smooth. Easy drinking IPA, not a hop bomb in any way.

D: It was alright, very aggressive up front. I wouldn't like much more than a glass or so.

russwbeck, Feb 05, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to THCPJ for sharing this one! Review from notes 12/3/10.

A: Pours a reddish orange/amber with a frothy head with great retention. Lacing is perfect, remains on most of the glass.

S: Nice pine, citrus, grapefruit. Not as strong as I was hoping, but very pleasant nonetheless.

T: Much more pine in the flavor than the aroma. The bitterness attacks right away. Has a very nice sweetness that follows from the malt and ends in a sticky finish with a nice hop aftertaste.

M/D: Slightly lighter than medium bodied with nice carbonation. Finish is sticky. Overall, I was very pleased with this drinkable beer, a very nice IPA, but not one of my favorites.

Edited after having it on tap at Town Hall.

mdaschaf, Feb 03, 2011